• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Okay I feel guilty but I had to cheat at the
sound puzzles. I'm totally tone deaf and couldn't pick up on anything.

Yeah, I had to cheat at those in the
jungle
as well as the one door in the
shipwreck
I can do some of the simpler ones, but differentiating the different pitches and being able to sift through overlapping sounds is really near impossible for me. I'm okay with sound puzzles where you need to differentiate completely different sounds (such as the Selentic Age in Myst) but ones where you need to differentiate pitches... Not my forte.

I feel kind of bad about actually looking up solutions for those as I hadn't done that for any other puzzle in the game, but if it was at all possible for me to actually do it, I would. As it is everything
sounded the same
, so... I feel I didn't have much choice.

I think I unlocked the Challenge.

This is incomprehensible.

Actually, no. I see what it's going to make you do. But there's nothing I can do right now.

Treehouse hints requested (not exactly puzzle panel related):

I've finally ground through almost every puzzle in this godforsaken logic branching mess, but just when I think I have the laser in sight...this motherfuckin door gives me the run-around. What the hell am I supposed to do to get to this open door in time? Hints only please!

This tripped me up at first, too.

There's another way to get to the door.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
can anyone tell me if this did anything? I had sound on low, and thought I heard something but wasn't sure. Location is the colorful pools
nPhCCVE.jpg
So i cheat the perspective on teh two statues.... and anything?

can anyone tell me if this did anything? I had sound on low, and thought I heard something but wasn't sure. Location is the colorful pools

Nah, the game is littered with such visual Easter eggs like that, just there to look neat and be a small reward for being observant. That is one of the cooler ones though!

Well... fuck these 'Tetris' puzzles. They must be my intellectual weakness, because they are the first ones (so far) that just completely fuck with my brain.

I understand them, conceptually, but I've run into some that just don't make any goddamn sense to me. :(

I refuse to look up any solutions, so I just wanted to bitch a moment while I take a break.
Otherwise I'm in love with this game!

So is there some kind of new rule that these grayish blocks bring or is it possible using stuff that the previous panels in this room taught me?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ_9a-GUYAA4rna.jpg:large

There is no new rule,
but you do need something else.

Holy shit the Witness has some great secrets!

Two of them actually explain two of the misgivings I have with the game.

Is one of those misgivings the
"pomposity"
? I thought that was nicely addressed.

Well... fuck these 'Tetris' puzzles. They must be my intellectual weakness, because they are the first ones (so far) that just completely fuck with my brain.

I understand them, conceptually, but I've run into some that just don't make any goddamn sense to me. :(

I refuse to look up any solutions, so I just wanted to bitch a moment while I take a break.
Otherwise I'm in love with this game!

I had to cut out pieces from index cards and used them to arrange them on a grid. I'm with you man...I think this pinpointed my mental deficiencies with arranging and visualizing shapes and locations in my head. It's nearly impossible for me without help of physical objects to play with. Not sure if this is cheapening the experience or heightening it.

I'm now faced with this seemingly simple puzzle in the trough of the
Sawmill
:

http://imgur.com/nP4xkia
I understand the rules from the Treehouse area...pair white stars with each other, and keep them separate from the black ones (as far as I know). I'm not positive if there is a specific number that can be grouped (I'm guessing an even number of the same colors only). Is this just a matter of toying with lines until I get this to work or am I missing another rule? I know about the single star being matched with one color of itself, but it doesn't seem to work here since the shapes are the same.

Hints only please!

Sawmill
:

I understand the rules from the Treehouse area...pair white stars with each other, and keep them separate from the black ones (as far as I know). I'm not positive if there is a specific number that can be grouped (I'm guessing an even number of the same colors only). Is this just a matter of toying with lines until I get this to work or am I missing another rule? I know about the single star being matched with one color of itself, but it doesn't seem to work here since the shapes are the same.

Exactly two of the same color together. No more, no less.

I had to cut out pieces from index cards and used them to arrange them on a grid. I'm with you man...I think this pinpointed my mental deficiencies with arranging and visualizing shapes and locations in my head. It's nearly impossible for me without help of physical objects to play with. Not sure if this is cheapening the experience or heightening it.

Great idea, Fractology! I'll try your method and see if it makes my brain happy. :D

Sawmill
:

Hints only please!

One of the rules you think is true is wrong.

Don't get the complaints over Tetris pieces. Probably my favorite puzzles so far. Though it also felt like the first real challenge in the game so far, but that could be just the path I took.

elguero

Thank you Mr. Blow for making the walking speed reasonable. If this game had the walking speed of Everybody's Gone to Rapture I would be really aggravated with all of the backtracking.

Neverfade

Do the tetris pieces
all need to be lumped together or can i have two separate "sides" as long as each "side" has those shapes included?

I forgot to include this pic as to my first attempt:

http://imgur.com/C1fPsVT

Of course it doesn't work. I'm guessing because only two can be together at a time.

Yeah, you're right there, it sounds like you're mixing up the logic of stars and another symbol though (which I myself do sometimes actually).

Don't get the complaints over Tetris pieces. Probably my favorite puzzles so far. Though it also felt like the first real challenge in the game so far, but that could be just the path I took.

I generally don't get them either, and yeah they're my favorite too. However, after struggling with the jungle and having to cheat my way through it, I think I can better understand how different people can have issues mentally tackling different sorts of puzzles.

Still, a lot of it does seem to stem from people's refusal to admit they're wrong, thus leading them to cling to false assumptions of how the symbols must work. And, in a way, The Witness is all about challenging what you think is right and proving you're wrong again and again and again.

Alright I'm guessing I should just go somewhere else for now :p

Everything you need to know is in that building, but you are right about needing to go somewhere else. ;)

I thought the later
Treehouse
puzzles were a more satisfying challenge in that they were both difficult but very logic based. There is one frustrating rule change that occurs there though that was a strange difficulty spike...but I was still able to suss it out through a ton of trials. The "annoying" thing I find about the tetris puzzles is that it felt like a constant trial and error
of just arranging things
. It didn't feel like I could look at the panel and figure out the solution without first trying
a billion different configurations

All that being said, it's fun to see what types of puzzles are considered annoying to different people. I think my favorite set so far might be the
Tree shadow panels
. Those evolved in a cool fashion up until the final puzzle and never felt too outrageous.

I thought the later
Treehouse
puzzles were a more satisfying challenge in that they were both difficult but very logic based. There is one frustrating rule change that occurs there though that was a strange difficulty spike...but I was still able to suss it out through a ton of trials. The "annoying" thing I find about the tetris puzzles is that it felt like a constant trial and error
of just arranging things
. It didn't feel like I could look at the panel and figure out the solution without first trying

All that being said, it's fun to see what types of puzzles are considered annoying to different people. I think my favorite set so far might be the
Tree shadow panels
. Those evolved in a cool fashion up until the final puzzle and never felt too outrageous.

The biggest thing to get over for me and the biggest ah-ha moment was
realising the pieces could be in any order as long as you "grabbed" the needed piece. Once that happened I felt like every puzzle was awesome. It basically became a Tetris mode to me of just creating a path.

I thought the later
Treehouse
of just arranging things

Tree shadow panels

While trial and error is definitely part of it when things like breaks in the grid and other symbols are used, I myself AM able to look at the panel and figure out solutions for Tetris pieces without actually drawing any lines. I guess it's just easier for certain people, but if you can't visualize it so easy I do really recommend you make paper cutouts of the shapes so you an still work them out visually. The Tetris symbols are all about working them out visually, be it mentally or physically.

Thanks...So I just need to keep at it then. You've helped me and others here a number of times. I wish I could repay the help.

I'm just glad that I can help. My biggest fear was that I was going to be way behind everyone else!

Also: man, I missed a huge thing by leaving
symmetry
for last.

Fat4all

Banned
Non-puzzle related, I love what the game does with shadows and perspectives.

I'm taking screenshots of puzzles and hints and the like, but I think I've taken more beauty shots than anything.

BeeDog

Need some help, starting to feel impaired again.

Big Keep/Castle spoilers:

I am trying to rearrange the floor tile/pressure plate puzzles so I can drag environmental lines from the top of the castle tower. I have nailed the yellow/green/blue pressure plate puzzles, but the purple one is killing me.

Some hints/help there would be appreciated (e.g. what direction to begin with etc.).

Anyone? Going insane here... Maybe I'm approaching this puzzle incorrectly, but any guidance here would be super-appreciated.

BioHazard

Can anyone give me a hint on the forest area next to the quarry? I've unlocked the gate to the little stone enclosure, but the other gate is still closed. Do I need to open it? It is hard to see how the branches line up.

Can anyone give me a hint on the forest area next to the quarry? I've unlocked the gate to the little stone enclosure, but the other gate is still closed. Do I need to open it? It is hard to see how the branches line up.

It depends on what side you have done but one of those strings of puzzles the shadows start being a little off as a whole. So it's more just figure out the path on the shadow and how much you have to move it. If this makes sense?

Top Bottom