• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Exuro

The maze corresponds to another puzzle in the challenge.

There should be one for each dot you need to pass through with the line. I took a picture quickly each attempt to navigate the maze easier.

You mean the shipwreck? If you have no clue what to do, go do something else, this is the last puzzle I did and it's a mix of lot of things.

Always 2 puzzles, and the maze reflects the easy singular 4th puzzle. I strongly suggest drawing a big map of the 5x5 pillars on a piece of paper, and placing 2 tokens (coins, pins, whatever) at the spots the 2 orange dots are, it's much faster to move those 2 tokens than to take screenshots and watch them while you play.

I agree, this puzzle was strangely frustrating and the
sounds were just too cryptic and chaotic to be easily decyphered. I knew what to do, but I just couldn't parse the sounds.
Thanks. Doesn't help that the actual triangle mazes are giving me a hard time. Got through it once but then only managed to do one of the two next ones, and for all I know there's more after that.

How do you solve this endgame puzzle?

http://cdn4.gamepur.com/images/the_witness/the-witness-walkthrough-twobridge-1.jpg

I pulled this from a walk through but I
don't know how to make it able to draw both lines. I can only draw one line and then when i get to the other side that side's line is blocked and can't go anywhere

You have to solve that one by going back and forth a bit. Start by making a solution to the first one that leaves you space to solve the second one.

Yogg

http://cdn4.gamepur.com/images/the_witness/the-witness-walkthrough-twobridge-1.jpg

I pulled this from a walk through but I don't know how to make it able to draw both lines. I
can only draw one line and then when i get to the other side that side's line is blocked and can't go anywhere

This puzzle is a back and forth between both lines. The picture show steps 2 and 3 of the back and forth, but you first need to find a valid way to cross the room to get access to the orange line that starts on the other side. Then try to figure out your way out.

I pulled this from a walk through but I
don't know how to make it able to draw both lines. I can only draw one line and then when i get to the other side that side's line is blocked and can't go anywhere

Go back to the blue side, lead the blue to the new side door after you've moved the other line into position. Walk through it.

Holy shit Blow, you magnificent bastard. During the video clip for the third panel from the left in the video room,
the one from the Tarkovsky movie, at the end there is an environmental pussle. That blew my mind. Anyone else find a puzzle during any other of the clips? (I don't consider sharing discovery of the environmental puzzles cheating)
Also, does anyone know what movie that was? I've only seen one of his movies.

On the way to the shipwreck, stopped to finally solve the town
color container
. What a fulfilling moment when you finally put it all together.

490 +29.

Raegal

Holy shit Blow, you magnificent bastard. During the video clip for the third panel from the left in the video room,
the one from the Tarkovsky movie, at the end there is an environmental pussle. That blew my mind. Anyone else find a puzzle during any other of the clips? (I don't consider sharing discovery of the environmental puzzles cheating)

It's from Nostalghia, and yeah there are puzzles in other clips

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Post end game spoilers:
I can almost do the challenge, but the god damn cylindrical puzzles destroy me. Do you have to do both? Does anyone have any tips?

kadotsu

Banned
Post end game spoilers:
I can almost do the challenge, but the god damn cylindrical puzzles destroy me. Do you have to do both? Does anyone have any tips?

The challenge either pools from a large number of puzzles or is completely procedural. This means it is a mix of Luck and getting faster.

Yes, there's two in the BBC show clip (next line is how to do it so don't look if you don't want the solution)

The amino acid circle and a circle from the book he flips through line up with partial circles on the door frame and window frame.

Alucrid

Banned
Post end game spoilers:

yeah it's destroying me as well. the combination of the two things is like....the bane of my entire time playing the witness

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah it's destroying me as well. the combination of the two things is like....the bane of my entire time playing the witness
What gets me is that
after a bunch of attempts I can *nail* everything proceeding it, but I can't even begin to prune down those last (?) two SOBs.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: sorry, been bad about double posting recently.
You're not wrong :).
I think the blue squares are kind of misleading because of this.
I'm pretty sure you *do* need to
do that in the same shape.
I haven't found a case that contradicts that, anyway.

Finally activated the last beam, phew. This is a fantastic puzzle game. I like all the symbol puzzles, a little less the 'observe the environment' puzzles. Just the sound ones are utter BS. I cheated on one of those, but no regrets, even after looking up the solution I didn't get it.

Now I'm stuck at a panel after activating the mountain top and
going inside, in the large room where you paint the violet floating path.
How can you even try to solve the panel when
the display is distorted and you can't even activate the starting point?
Obviously there's something I'm missing.

kadotsu

Banned
Finally activated the last beam, phew. This is a fantastic puzzle game. I like all the symbol puzzles, a little less the 'observe the environment' puzzles. Just the sound ones are utter BS. I cheated on one of those, but no regrets, even after looking up the solution I didn't get it.

Now I'm stuck at a panel after activating the mountain top and
going inside, in the large room where you paint the violet floating path.
How can you even try to solve the panel when
the display is distorted and you can't even activate the starting point?
Obviously there's something I'm missing.

Let me just post this unrelated picture of a touch panel :

http://www.rackmountmart.com/prodspics/id-08a-c2.gif

Shahadan

Lol I'm finding hints in the world way after completing the area.

For example in the desert area there is a nice hint near the ruined temple, made with a flower and a wooden thing.

d00d3n

So, I have 8 beams and 360 puzzles done. Is there anything I should look out for to not stumble upon the ending before completing everything? Is the mountain top still safe to explore?

So, I have 8 beams and 360 puzzles done. Is there anything I should look out for to not stumble upon the ending before completing everything? Is the mountain top still safe to explore?

There is no way to accidentally end the game. You'll know it when you see it.

SilentRob

Hooray! Completed the main game after 30 hours and 359 +27 solved puzzles. That was amazing. I'll get back to it in a few weeks for aaaall of the stuff I left behind, but for now I'm ok with what I achieved :)

One question: I brute-forced the forth
labyrinth
puzzle. From the ones you have to
actually use the board for, not the ones you walk on.
. It's the one after the
labyrinth where you have to listen to the sound of your footsteps to get the solution
. I still don't understand why that worked our what I was supposed to do there.

The game autosaves in a new save file directly before it ends, so you'll be able to go back anyway. You can go for it whenever you want! :)

Desert Ruins -
No matter where I stand I cannot get the sun to shine on the two panels, left and right hanging above the structure. It seems like some rubble is cockblocking me, and I've noticed the middle will shine if you stand in an indent, but cant find anything else.

Tips?

falz3333

Neo Member
Either the game autosaved when I was in the process of ending the game or I accidentally autosaved after the point of no return the first time. Either way I ended up having to do the last level all over again to fill out my puzzle count :c

Either the game autosaved when I was in the process of ending the game or I accidentally autosaved after the point of no return the first time. Either way I ended up having to do the last level all over again to fill out my puzzle count :c

You can get out from there.

Lol, I'm ready to declare it the worst :)

Went back and read your post, and I
actually ended up ignoring the water dripping and solving the whole thing using just the ship noises.
I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse. :)

Feep

Banned
Finally figured out the Treehouse
timed door puzzle, as I'd missed the multiple ending points thing on my first go through. It was actually the textures on the bottom of the bridges that clued me in.

Ten lasers down! Monastery to go.

Chopper

The tetris-blocks don't have to cover their own symbols, if you draw a big shape that contains multiple blocks and all of the symbols involved.
That should help you.

If you still can't figure it out, here's the solution: http://i.imgur.com/7KwibcH.jpg
I've read your hint, and looked at the solution, and still have no idea what's happening. Is this the first example of this sort of puzzle, or is there a 'tutorial' somewhere else?

Tea Time

Neo Member
Managed to get through the whole thing without resorting to hints, so I'm pretty happy.
The challenge
was tricky though. I'm on 515 panels +50-someting +6. Is there a confirmed total number of panels and environment puzzles?

Do we know of any reason to start again after the ending? Are there any more puzzles added in a new game?

Mistle

Finally figured out the Treehouse
timed door puzzle, as I'd missed the multiple ending points thing on my first go through. It was actually the textures on the bottom of the bridges that clued me in.

Ten lasers down! Monastery to go.
Exact same thing with me. Only ever made them go forward first time around, and discovered how the same way as you.

sinxtanx

Ok this game is the fucking best but now I need some BIG BOY TIPS

I'm far into the game, but I can't find any way to progress, so I need some tips badly.

Major spoilers I guess

-
I have all eleven lasers

-
I have no full obelisks, but have gotten most enviro-puzzles

-
I have visited the credits (in another file) and copied down the five hint papers in there, seen that there are areas inside the credits I can't reach, no idea how to reach credits from my regular file

-
I have found five of the hexagon puzzles (starting area hill, desert beach, jungle, mountain, shipwreck), and I just can't for the life of me find the last one. Been searching for hours without any luck, I've triangulated its position (by looking at the objects in the lake) to be approximately under the "turtle" beside the river but there just isn't any entrance I can find on the entire island

-
I've solved the pillar in the starting area that gave me a floor puzzle which I used for one enviro-puzzle, but does solving that lead to something else? It makes a nice sound when solved...

Need guidance badly on this one
-
The small yellow cube being wrangled by the two stone guys on top of the mountain obviously has two cables coming out of it. One activates the puzzle that opens the mountain, but I can't figure out how to activate the other (or if that activates something on the cube when solved from somewhere else). Following the cable into the mountain it seems to pass all the way down and through the panel a stone guy is scribbling on in the red room. In the same room there's a corner you can stand on behind which I've seen through the glass of the previous room a passage and a blue puzzle panel on a door leading further into the mountain. I'm guessing that the wall in that corner can shift and that THAT happens when you solve the scribble guys panel? HALP

-
Those freaking doors that have their back to you and that obviously lead to the true endgame and I think the scribble guy panel is the way aaaarrrggghhh

How should I make all of that happen is my main question.

Top Bottom