• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Since you already did the puzzle.
One of the branches is broken and you have to account for it.

That solution is wrong isn't it? You understand the rules correctly, but please watch the following clip.
Do it.

Yo so I kinda just did this aimlessly and got it quickly, but idk how. Can someone explain this one to me?

Oh crap sorry I posted the wrong image.I was desperately trying to edit in the right pic but this phone is garbage :(

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaAH5gBUUAEOQzv.jpg:large

Yogg

It took me 4 hours with no break to beat the challenge. I can't count the number of times I failed on the last 2 puzzles. But Platinum finally!

I spent 6 more hours looking around for leftovers and I'm sitting at 518
+135 +6, and I have no idea where those ~6 missing puzzles are.
My saturday was basically 100% The Witness, and I regret nothing!

The best epiphanies I had were figuring out what all the mechanics of the different symbols are. It'll teach you the basic concept, and then leave it up to you to determine how far the concept can be pushed. This is awesome. I see a lot of people asking for the mechanics to be explained to them, as if it isn't a puzzle itself. Sure, knowing the mechanics won't solve the panel for you, but figuring the mechanics out for yourself are some of the best puzzles in the game imo.
I find this to be pretty disappointing too, that people are so quick to rob themselves of half the fun. If you're not enjoying the journey, the destination surely isn't going to satisfy you.

dont feel dumb those puzzles are complete trash. managed to do them without any hints or help personally but i didnt even get that sense of accomplishment when i completed that area.
Those puzzles seem a bit weird, being in the game. Blow has talked about how certain things(like too much story) would create a lot of noise in the game and would have distracted people from what's there already, and then...that section :p. Maybe it's some kind of double negative or something.

Loving this game, but I'm not getting the
upside down Y

I'm pretty sure I found the place where you practice using it
(close to a river with a wooden plank as a bridge)
but I can't make it work.
I separate the colored blocks but it's always the upside down Y that's the problem. Also, the one with the two dots make different noises when I go diagonal or 90° but I have no idea what it's doing.

Is there something I'm missing? Should I go to another area?

Wait, the
mountain vault
is
video number six
?

Implying the
ship vault
is easier?

And... that means there's a
vault I missed

Vexidus

I've seen a lot of complaints about the
jungle
area but it was my absolute favourite area. In fact I did almost every single panel on my first attempt and when I followed the cable after the second set
I was devastated to find the laser box. I felt like these puzzles didn't get difficult in the slightest yet and that there should have been two more full sets of related puzzles.
They just really resonated with me I guess, and never caused me a problem.

It's interesting how people find different types of puzzles harder. I am having a really hard time in the
botany lab/bunker as people call it. Trying to get up that elevator is driving me crazy. Not asking for a hint though, I'll come back to it in a few days

Incredible game, I can't get enough of it!

upside down Y

I separate the colored blocks but it's always the upside down Y that's the problem. Also, the one with the two dots make different noises when I go diagonal or 90° but I have no idea what it's doing.

Experiment. Making mistakes is fine, just observe what's happening when you do.

thenexus6

I watched and helped my friend via share play for a hour or so. Yeah I am totally sold, but I probably won't get it just yet.. I just got RS Siege, getting Firewatch next week so.

Vexidus

upside down Y

The white tristar
absorbs 1 thing that is wrong with the puzzle and then completes it. For example, if the puzzle has 3 dots you need to hit, leave 1 unhit and also segmented with the tristar and you will solve the puzzle.
At least that is my understanding of it.

Stared at a mountain puzzle for like half an hour.
I watched and helped my friend via share play for a hour or so. Yeah I am totally sold, but I probably won't get it just yet.. I just got RS Siege, getting Firewatch next week so.
That's out next week? I'm slowing to a crawl with this game at the moment. I'm not sure I will be getting it at launch now.

I need help, this is pretty early in the game (I know), it's in the cliffy part:

http://i.imgur.com/Lw0Sdzk.jpg

I accidentally solved it, but... I don't know how...

What's going on with that artifacting, GPU issues?

As for the puzzle itself, think about the theme of the area and
look behind you

Wonderong something. As anyone beat this game yet? How many hours did you put on it so far if not?

Define beat. Many people have gotten through the endgame and seen the ending now, but fewer have been able to get through the post-endgame secrets and 100% it.

FHIZ

Okay. Gotten all the lasers lit up, going to head to the end soon, but before I ask, what do the
environmental puzzles
do? I've solved a whole bunch and all I can tell is
some lights on those black monoliths light up.

How do you get through the bridge in the mountain with a panel on either side? If i make it crossable then I can't do anything with the other side

Drac

Challenge question:
How many puzzles do I need to do in the maze?
There should be one for each dot you need to pass through with the line. I took a picture quickly each attempt to navigate the maze easier.

Ok, that really isn't helping, anything else you could add?

You mean the shipwreck? If you have no clue what to do, go do something else, this is the last puzzle I did and it's a mix of lot of things.

The white tristar
absorbs 1 thing that is wrong with the puzzle and then completes it. For example, if the puzzle has 3 dots you need to hit, leave 1 unhit and also segmented with the tristar and you will solve the puzzle.
At least that is my understanding of it.
Thank you! I got it now

falz3333

Neo Member
The shipwreck puzzle is honestly poorly designed. I think it is the only puzzle in the entire game that introduces multiple things that no other puzzle has used. Those being (solution spoilers)
overlapping noises and the use of generic hexagons vs. Specifically colored hexagons. The puzzle basically breaks the game's own rules and is giving a ton of people a ton of frustration

There should be one for each dot you need to pass through with the line. I took a picture quickly each attempt to navigate the maze easier.

You mean the shipwreck? If you have no clue what to do, go do something else, this is the last puzzle I did and it's a mix of lot of things.

Relax a bit and make sure you're sure of what's going on in the puzzle? Revisit older areas that dealt with those concepts, if you need to, to remind yourself of how exactly they work.
Thanks guys, I'll come back later as I'm so confused by the fact that it isn't infinite if that makes sense?

Shahadan

So I'm aware of the +, but what are the ++ ?

I'm guessing it have something to do with
completed black pillars
but fuck if I know

Yogg

Challenge question:
How many puzzles do I need to do in the maze?

Always 2 puzzles, and the maze reflects the easy singular 4th puzzle. I strongly suggest drawing a big map of the 5x5 pillars on a piece of paper, and placing 2 tokens (coins, pins, whatever) at the spots the 2 orange dots are, it's much faster to move those 2 tokens than to take screenshots and watch them while you play.

The shipwreck puzzle is honestly poorly designed. I think it is the only puzzle in the entire game that introduces multiple things that no other puzzle has used. Those being (solution spoilers)
overlapping noises and the use of generic hexagons vs. Specifically colored hexagons. The puzzle basically breaks the game's own rules and is giving a ton of people a ton of frustration

I agree, this puzzle was strangely frustrating and the
sounds were just too cryptic and chaotic to be easily decyphered. I knew what to do, but I just couldn't parse the sounds.

kadotsu

Banned
I agree, this puzzle was strangely frustrating and the
sounds were just too cryptic and chaotic to be easily decyphered. I knew what to do, but I just couldn't parse the sounds.

Could someone give me the solution on this one.
I'm hearing impaired. I know the what to do but can't put it together.

falz3333

Neo Member
Could someone give me the solution on this one.
I'm hearing impaired. I know the what to do but can't put it together.

The first noise (the dripping water) goes low-high-medium. The second noise (the creaking of the ship over more extended period of time) goes medium-low-medium-high. Each corresponds to one of the colors and you are supposed to use the black hexagons to fill in the blanks

kadotsu

Banned
The first noise (the dripping water) goes low-high-medium. The second noise (the creaking of the ship over more extended period of time) goes medium-low-medium-high. Each corresponds to one of the colors and you are supposed to use the black hexagons to fill in the blanks

Thanks. This is better than a straight up solution.

effache

Neo Member
I need someone to explain the shipwreck puzzle to me. I've been listening to the dripping and wailing for ages and it's beginning to feel like chinese water torture. This is the only puzzle in the game that I feel comfortable giving up on and resorting to a guide but I can't find one anywhere.

E: did not see the line in front of me asking the same questions. my bad

Drac

I need someone to explain the shipwreck puzzle to me. I've been listening to the dripping and wailing for ages and it's beginning to feel like chinese water torture. This is the only puzzle in the game that I feel comfortable giving up on and resorting to a guide but I can't find one anywhere.

E: did not see the line in front of me asking the same questions. my bad

Only puzzle I looked up for a solution, I had everything except the sequence. This is the link I used.

*Splinter

Only puzzle I looked up for a solution, I had everything except the sequence. This is the link I used.
That's the video I used to solve it. I had already figured out everything mentioned in that video, but I -still- don't understand how that translates to the solution, even after seeing it and using it myself. Can someone spell it out for me?

falz3333

Neo Member
Can someone explain how this works? I found the solution but I have no idea why that's the solution. This one feels like it broke its own rules but I'm probably just missing it.

It hasn't broken the rules. I'd suggest going back to the first puzzle in the series and try to fully understand what the hollow blue squares are doing.

Saw everyone talking about the shipwreck. Wanted to avoid hints, so sat down and thought about it away from the game.

He nailed me twice with the same trick.

Yogg

Can someone explain how this works? I found the solution but I have no idea why that's the solution. This one feels like it broke its own rules but I'm probably just missing it.

It's in the marsh location
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaANWtJVIAEmKo3.jpg:large
Didn't one of the shapes basically formed into a horizontal line? I thought they always had to be that certain shape.

The blue (negative piece) can be placed like a regular tetris block, but instead of adding, it substracts its shape. So it can solve superposed pieces or just remove extra squares. In the second puzzle if you swap the 2 bottom L pieces and keep the upper one in place, and then compare it to the solution: you have 2 squares above the bottom blue line, and 2 more superposed squares in the middle of the bottom line. If you put the negative square there, you make the 2 outside squares and the 2 superposed squares disappear.

edit: in the first puzzle, you cross the Z and the bar, and you have one superposed square. Place the negative blue square there to remove the superposed square and the shape becomes valid.

Top Bottom