• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Hooray! Completed the main game after 30 hours and 359 +27 solved puzzles. That was amazing. I'll get back to it in a few weeks for aaaall of the stuff I left behind, but for now I'm ok with what I achieved :)

One question: I brute-forced the forth
labyrinth
puzzle. From the ones you have to
actually use the board for, not the ones you walk on.
. It's the one after the
labyrinth where you have to listen to the sound of your footsteps to get the solution
. I still don't understand why that worked our what I was supposed to do there.

I brute forced this one too, and no matter how many times I've redone my steps on it, I can't figure out how I was supposed to know I was ever on the right track with it.

I've moved on to the area which serves as the tutorial for the Tetris blocks, and I'm beginning to understand why so many players hate them. I don't understand how some solutions don't count, but others do. The huge jump in complexity between the first and second puzzle on the rear exit door near the red panels perfectly encapsulates my frustration. The first one was easy to figure out, the second one feels impossible.

End game:
is the challenge with the music playing totally randomized? If so, I'll likely never complete it for that sweet platinum trophy. Do you see any repeats after trying it a few times?
I'm fairly decent at figuring out the different puzzles, but I have to take my time on certain ones.

Bsigg12

Any hints for the
door behind the Desert Ruins?
I have spent an hour staring at it and can't come up with a decent idea.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
End game:
is the challenge with the music playing totally randomized? If so, I'll likely never complete it for that sweet platinum trophy.
I'm fairly decent at figuring out the different puzzles, but I have to take my time in certain ones.
I *think* I might have seen the same puzzle on ONE of those panels... once. And I've run it a bunch of times. It's intense.

Any hints for the
door behind the Desert Ruins?
I have spent an hour staring at it and can't come up with a decent idea.

You can completely erase one of the blocks with the blue blocks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hooray! Completed the main game after 30 hours and 359 +27 solved puzzles. That was amazing. I'll get back to it in a few weeks for aaaall of the stuff I left behind, but for now I'm ok with what I achieved :)

One question: I brute-forced the forth
labyrinth
puzzle. From the ones you have to
actually use the board for, not the ones you walk on.
. It's the one after the
labyrinth where you have to listen to the sound of your footsteps to get the solution
. I still don't understand why that worked our what I was supposed to do there.

I brute forced this one too, and no matter how many times I've redone my steps on it, I can't figure out how I was supposed to know I was ever on the right track with it.
Here's what I figured out:
overlay the real maze and the panel maze on top of each other. There's only one valid path that satisfies both

RedColumn

OH MY *************************** GOD! this game is SICK!!

XD

490+20 or something like that ...
After getting the
11 lasers, the challenge

Challange that have to be finish before the music stop, I havent finish yet, but Im almost there
... the game have no music, and the only one that has, it could have not been a better choice! but... what a stress!!!! my mind is gonna burn! it doesnt help that the last bit of the song when you are in the maze that YOU HAVE CREATE!!! XD When you start doing it at first and see that has many turns... you just think...should I give up already?? even if I finish I wont pass the maze hahahhaa,

So far I got with time to cross the maze, but then nothing is there... and I cant touch the 3 panels in the top... but then coming back with the music through the maze, I see a puzzle in a column with the triangles!!! and a hard one!.... and I thought... is this where the pentagone was??? NOOOOOO, the music stoped, I turn around and look if the maze is on, then I come back and the puzzle wasnt there, so..... is that part of the music challange???????????? each has a puzzle as well, and then the 3 on the top of the door?? I really really like that challange...I will try tomorrow again :)

This was me today there:
zuKBtpO.gif

and then... when I was in the maze and not idea what to do:
821408.gif

Beaulieu

I don't understand the rules of the puzzle on top of the moutain.
looked up the answer online but no one explains what the trick is.
seems like there are multiple correct solutions that dont register.
what am I missing.

Tea Time

Neo Member
Ok this game is the fucking best but now I need some BIG BOY TIPS

I'm far into the game, but I can't find any way to progress, so I need some tips badly.

Look
at the bottom of the box on the mountain, that will help towards the last hex puzzle, the areas you saw in the credits bit, and if I remember rightly, I think that's also where I found the code to close the gate at the start so I could get to the credits room in my main game.

Not too sure about your other questions though.

sinxtanx

Look
at the bottom of the box on the mountain, that will help towards the last hex puzzle, the areas you saw in the credits bit, and if I remember rightly, I think that's also where I found the code to close the gate at the start so I could get to the credits room in my main game.

Not too sure about your other questions though.

AGHSFGHSDFAHGSFHASGFAHDGFADHGFSDHGASF I THOUGHT I CHECKED THERE FUCK THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS TO ME

thanks dude

Ah. I thought so. The fact that the shapes seem so specifically placed, yet their position has nothing to do with the solution, bothers me.

Thanks for explaining. I wish the game did a better job of hinting at that.

Have you played through the marsh area? The game pretty explicitly explains this mechanic.

That being said, that puzzle was tough for me as well.

Chopper

Have you played through the marsh area? The game pretty explicitly explains this mechanic.

That being said, that puzzle was tough for me as well.
I have no idea. I'm only a couple of hours in and muddling through. I got through the initial batch of puzzles easily, but now the island has really opened up, so I'm wondering around aimlessly solving what I can. I "solved" a puzzle involving a bonsai tree which appeared to achieve nothing, stumbled across a load of stuff I have no idea about, including the tetramino puzzle in question, so I skipped that and have just found a garden full of statues that I am currently working my way through. This game is exhausting!

Vexidus

Wow I just had a HUGE holy shit moment while looking at the
lake
(area on the island).

First of all, it's in the shape of the island. The light boxes in the water represent lasers and light up when you activate a laser. The clams under the water seem to be vaults and the clam opens up when you open each vault. Valuable for locating them. The lily pads seem to be audio logs which blossom when they are found. If so, I'm missing a ton and now know where to look. Some lilies are gold too, which I have none blossomed. Look what is in the water where the mountain would be. ....wow.

Edit: Noticed something else too,
the sprinklers are the black obelisks. I wonder if the spray changes when you have found all of the +puzzles in an area.

This game is something else.

Aces&Eights

Ok I'm done with the
monestary
and went around to the side of the door in the little courtyard had to go thru
bamboo
to get there and I'm totally stuck. Anyone have a hint?

Need guidance badly on this one
-
The small yellow cube being wrangled by the two stone guys on top of the mountain obviously has two cables coming out of it. One activates the puzzle that opens the mountain, but I can't figure out how to activate the other (or if that activates something on the cube when solved from somewhere else). Following the cable into the mountain it seems to pass all the way down and through the panel a stone guy is scribbling on in the red room. In the same room there's a corner you can stand on behind which I've seen through the glass of the previous room a passage and a blue puzzle panel on a door leading further into the mountain. I'm guessing that the wall in that corner can shift and that THAT happens when you solve the scribble guys panel? HALP

There's no way to describe what you're missing without essentially telling you what it is, but I'll try my best.

Inspect the cube that the guys on top of the mountain are wrangling more closely.

Jimrpg

I've played about 80 puzzles now and done the dock area and the bit by the sea.

Gone to the desert and couldn't solve it, also gone to the house with the horizontal blinds that fold upwards on four sides of the house, couldn't solve that either. I'm enjoying the challenge nevertheless.

Few thoughts on the game -

- The line puzzle isn't really the puzzle, the puzzle is thinking about the clues presented, interpreting the tutorial panels and then eliminating the obvious wrong answers. The actual line puzzle part can be mildly brute forced, you can keep trying to draw lines to get the right route.

- It really is like the dark souls of puzzle games, at least in the world layout.

- There's an obvious obnoxious tone from the designer throughout the game. It just feels like he desperately wants to be credited with being one of the more 'intelligent' people out there. I have some friends like that, that need to tell everybody how smart they are, its fucking annoying. It's not that bad here, but its there. If its not evident in the puzzles, it certainly is in the audio logs, video logs.

- I get the feeling we'll be inundated with a lot of open world puzzles soon. Just like we got tons of Match 3 RPGs after Puzzle Quest. Get ready for open world sudoku.

- For an island so beautiful, Mr Blow sure likes to lay his cables everywhere. It's just a mess. At least straighten them up with a nice alignment. Or Lay them underground like a real engineer would and put posts in the ground to show where they are!

- Overall its a really good game, but im only 3 hours in, I'll prolly be tearing what's left of my hair out soon. Can't wait to go home and play more.

- Lastly i changed the FOV to 100, and played in a window. So much better in terms of motion sickness, went from lasting 30 minutes to 2.5 hours. Anyone still having trouble should try it.

Lost track of time, but I'm 248 +25 in. Completed
Symmetry, Desert Ruin, Shady Trees, Keep, Monastery, Jungle, Treehouses

Sorry to ask a question I'm sure has been answered, but I'm a little hesitant to look as the thread is a bit of a minefield. I assume the game gives you a save before you start the stuff at the top of the mountain (and I can make a manual backup just in case), so I'm not worried about losing any progress should I go to "finish" the game now. Question is, is there any compelling reason to not do this? I'll be going back to finish the rest regardless, just curious if it's best to not yet quote-complete it at this point.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lost track of time, but I'm 248 +25 in. Completed
Symmetry, Desert Ruin, Shady Trees, Keep, Monastery, Jungle, Treehouses

Sorry to ask a question I'm sure has been answered, but I'm a little hesitant to look as the thread is a bit of a minefield. I assume the game gives you a save before you start the stuff at the top of the mountain (and I can make a manual backup just in case), so I'm not worried about losing any progress should I go to "finish" the game now. Question is, is there any compelling reason to not do this? I'll be going back to finish the rest regardless, just curious if it's best to not yet quote-complete it at this point.
The game auto-saves before the end. You'll be fine.

I have no idea. I'm only a couple of hours in and muddling through. I got through the initial batch of puzzles easily, but now the island has really opened up, so I'm wondering around aimlessly solving what I can. I "solved" a puzzle involving a bonsai tree which appeared to achieve nothing, stumbled across a load of stuff I have no idea about, including the tetramino puzzle in question, so I skipped that and have just found a garden full of statues that I am currently working my way through. This game is exhausting!

So, that was the first panel you noticed with tetris pieces then? If so, it's no wonder you didn't understand it.

If you see a symbol that you don't recognize and the puzzle doesn't seem incredibly basic, you aren't supposed to know how to solve it yet.

SilentRob

- There's an obvious obnoxious tone from the designer throughout the game. It just feels like he desperately wants to be credited with being one of the more 'intelligent' people out there. I have some friends like that, that need to tell everybody how smart they are, its fucking annoying. It's not that bad here, but its there. If its not evident in the puzzles, it certainly is in the audio logs, video logs.

The utter lack of acceptance for anything approaching classic art or even philosophy in video games is astounding to me. Every single time a game approaches these areas and chooses to go for a more abstract narrative players seem to react with spite and anger, like philosophy isn't actually a real thing but simply a tool for idiots who want to sound intelligent.

People can be interested in art and philosophy and built experiences around them without trying to make you think they are smart. Maybe they are just interested in the concepts?

This is one of maybe 3 bad designs in this game. The game establishes that you see when a branch has broken off a few puzzles earlier and then breaks that rule on the last puzzle.

I even looked at the branches to see if one was broken. This one was handled completely wrong for sure

Aces&Eights

Back up. Remember the tree branches? Same thing... only not branches.

I went back to those to revisit it. I'm still stumped.
I've tried going from shadow to light, mixing them both up, light first then shadow.
I'm completely dumbfounded

Edit!!! I got it! Holy shit I did it!!!!! Thanks shiba5!!!

I went back to those to revisit it. I'm still stumped.
I've tried going from shadow to light, mixing them both up, light first then shadow.
I'm completely dumbfounded

I'm almost positive this hint applies to this puzzle. If not, it definitely applies to another one.

Pretty big hint:

There's a reason you can see the panel from higher ground...

Maybe try the guy's hint from a couple posts above before using mine.

ekimneems

Neo Member
What does the number after the + mean? I keep seeing everyone saying they've completed 120 panels +10, etc. I'm at well over 200 and I'm still not sure what everyone means by that. What am I missing?

Jimrpg

The utter lack of acceptance for anything approaching classic art or even philosophy in video games is astounding to me.

People can be interested in both and built experiences around them without trying to make you think they are smart. Maybe they are just interested in the concepts?

I did enjoy the video log and audio log (and I do like art and philosophy). But it still felt like my annoying friend telling me how smart he was. I don't know but I felt both of those things. Regardless of that 'tone' I'm still enjoying solving the challenges.

I dont know what a + puzzle is yet BUT I may have found one

On the back of the mountain there is a big yellow circle and a line that sparkles when I go over it, but there is no end to the "line puzzle" as it just ends. What am I missing here.

Fat4all

Banned
What does the number after the + mean? I keep seeing everyone saying they've completed 120 panels +10, etc. I'm at well over 200 and I'm still not sure what everyone means by that. What am I missing?

There are hidden puzzles.

When you find one, you will know. It's very different from how traditional puzzles are presented.

You'll know you found one, because the save file will add a "+ 1" after your puzzle solve count.

ekimneems

Neo Member
There are hidden puzzles.

When you find one, you will know. It's very different from how traditional puzzles are presented.

You'll know you found one, because the save file will add a "+ 1" after your puzzle solve count.

Interesting. Is it crazy that I'm at 230 panels without a single +1 yet?

Man I fucking suck when it comes to mirrors. I will go every direction that is wrong before I find the right one. No wonder I suck at visualizing.

On the back of the mountain there is a big yellow circle and a line that sparkles when I go over it, but there is no end to the "line puzzle" as it just ends. What am I missing here.

You need to look at it in a very, very specific way, but you are on the right track.

Interesting. Is it crazy that I'm at 230 panels without a single +1 yet?

No, but pay attention to the environment next time you're walking around. When you find one, you will probably instantly remember others.

Trouble

Banned
On the way to the shipwreck, stopped to finally solve the town
color container
. What a fulfilling moment when you finally put it all together.

490 +29.

I've been banging my head against that one. I solved the
left
one but the other eludes me. I busted out the notepad for the first time in the game for that puzzle.

It needs to be from a very specific perspective

Umm... People, I'm stuck in the house of colour lights in the Town.
The very last two panels let you switch between three diferent colour lights which change the colours of the shapes in the panel.
Do I have to mix the solution counting the three lights and take notes? Or each panel has a corresponding light that has the solution (this shouldn't be because I've tried every possible solution to each color light).?

Top Bottom