• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Trouble

Banned
Umm... People, I'm stuck in the house of colour lights in the Town.
The very last two panels let you switch between three diferent colour lights which change the colours of the shapes in the panel.
Do I have to mix the solution counting the three lights and take notes? Or each panel has a corresponding light that has the solution (this shouldn't be because I've tried every possible solution to each color light).?

The first, take notes. That's how I solved the left one, but I'm still stuck on the right.

RedColumn

Yeah even after figuring out which tiles were which it still took me a long time to figure out the solution.

I still havent figure the right one. Im pretty sure that I get noted and figure the right tiles, but what I get seems imposible to solved....

Stoze

Holy shit Blow, you magnificent bastard. During the video clip for the third panel from the left in the video room,
the one from the Tarkovsky movie, at the end there is an environmental pussle. That blew my mind. Anyone else find a puzzle during any other of the clips? (I don't consider sharing discovery of the environmental puzzles cheating)
Also, does anyone know what movie that was? I've only seen one of his movies.

Fuck, I wish I hadn't read this. :( Totally thought
you'd just be talking about something really interesting about the clip and how it parallels to the island/story. That's pretty insane.

My fault for checking it, but damn if it isn't part awesome and part annoying that you can still be incredibly far into the game and still be spoiled on cool stuff. I genuinely assumed I'd already seen & caught on to everything there.

jett

D-Member
The Challenge.

After having spent three-four hours with THAT SHIT today, I finally made it out of the maze, expecting sweet release...except I got TWO more puzzles, two fucking puzzles from hell. No. I'm done. This is one challenge that will forever remain unfinished in my life. It has already made me hate Jonathan Blow, I don't really want to hate the game too. I'll get the final video pattern from the interwebs.

Shahadan

I have a few questions about the starting area of all things. But I'm at then end of the game so don't click the following spoiler if you're just starting or don't know about the +.

So two things are making me crazy right now. I'm sure there is something to do with the galss pillar above the castle gate but I can't figure what. I assume the pattern on the panel reflects the one inside the pillar but can't find a clue...

Also there is a + puzzle with the yellow flowers that is obviously cut in two and I can't find a way to link them....I'm almost starting to wonder if I didn't miss a button to skip while drawing :lol:

Holy shit Blow, you magnificent bastard. During the video clip for the third panel from the left in the video room,
the one from the Tarkovsky movie, at the end there is an environmental pussle. That blew my mind. Anyone else find a puzzle during any other of the clips? (I don't consider sharing discovery of the environmental puzzles cheating)
Also, does anyone know what movie that was? I've only seen one of his movies.

That freaking blew me away as well. I saw the circle and it just clicked. Is he really hiding environment puzzles in the videos? Sure as shit with enough perseverance I found it. I plan on going through all the other clips I've found to see if there's anything else.

I just couldn't believe a fucking
Tarkovsky
was in this game.

Made me squeal like a little girl.

I haven't heard of him before, I definitely want to check his stuff out now

tch

I still havent figure the right one. Im pretty sure that I get noted and figure the right tiles, but what I get seems imposible to solved....

Trust me I feel your pain haha. Took me an eternity, but there is a solution. If you want a hint:
Try splitting up the tiles differently, rather that straight through the middle of the 2x2 groups

I am kinda stuck with what to do now, some end? game questions:
I have 11 lasers, got to the glass elevator and finished the game, 5 movies in the theatre I still need the #4 movie, any hints? What is "the challenge" everyone is talking about? Also, I saw in the lake that the woman carved into the mountain is holding up a flickering lantern similar to the laser lanterns, what's up with that? Also what does getting 11 lasers open up compared to 7?

I forgot how the rules on the
black and white stars go. I've been stuck in the quarry because of it.
I need to go back and find some tutorial panels to refresh my memory, but whenever I do I end up making breakthroughs on other puzzles.

Some of the tetrimino rules are kind of infuriating.

They're actually pretty straightforward once you can wrap your head around them.

Fat4all

Banned

To be honest, I was only really stuck on like two or three of them.

But those ones must of took me like 4 hours to solve by themselves. I had to turn off the game and just do anything but try and figure them out.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

It's the one puzzle aspect I've struggled with the most. It seems like those above all else benefit greatly from drawing them out, since you occasionally have to actually
play a little tetris with the pieces, while still including every cell with a tetrimino marker on it in the solution
, but it isn't always the case. And even then, I still feel like I'm missing something. It's the only section I've temporarily moved on from while legitimately frustrated.

Drawing shit out actually has a huge benefit, as does using your phone to take a picture and then editing it whichever way. Would have NEVER completed some puzzles otherwise.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This is my favorite puzzle game in ages. Beat my expectations of it by a wide margin.
So far two sets of puzzles finished, I do however fear for future puzzles. No help used so far, and I plan to keep it that way and continue to return to it after taking breaks doing other stuff.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Challenge.

After having spent three-four hours with THAT SHIT today, I finally made it out of the maze, expecting sweet release...except I got TWO more puzzles, two fucking puzzles from hell. No. I'm done. This is one challenge that will forever remain unfinished in my life. It has already made me hate Jonathan Blow, I don't really want to hate the game too. I'll get the final video pattern from the interwebs.
Did you realise that
the fourth puzzle in the challenge is the key to the maze?

Man, I'm giving up on the third hedge maze for tonight. I don't want any hints, but I don't see how there's any information on how to solve it. I'll go back later. Maybe I need information from another area to proceed.

kadotsu

Banned
Did you realise that

The thing is still poorly designed compared to the rest of the game.
The variance of difficulty of the puzzles is way too high. One run you get brain dead shit and then you get near impossible stuff. It also doesn't help that the hardest puzzles are at the end, that's NES era design.

Man, I'm giving up on the third hedge maze for tonight. I don't want any hints, but I don't see how there's any information on how to solve it. I'll go back later. Maybe I need information from another area to proceed.

This is a hint, sort of, but it's pretty minor:

Do you personally do anything else while playing games?

This could be considered an actual hint:

Initially, people were kind of disappointed this game didn't have music but it makes sense now

jett

D-Member
Did you realise that

Yes I did.
I just can't handle the RNG. Sometimes I get easy as hell puzzles, sometimes I get shit that seems impossible. It's really frustrating. I don't like randomness in games, I really don't appreciate it in a game that was extremely and deliberately tightly designed before, and that never rushed you down. I find this room to be a grave mistake.

This is a hint, sort of, but it's pretty minor:

Do you personally do anything else while playing games?

This could be considered an actual hint:

Initially, people were kind of disappointed this game didn't have music but it makes sense now

I was stuck on that one as well and I think I get it now, holy shit.

RedColumn

Trust me I feel your pain haha. Took me an eternity, but there is a solution. If you want a hint:
Try splitting up the tiles differently, rather that straight through the middle of the 2x2 groups

I am kinda stuck with what to do now, some end? game questions:
I have 11 lasers, got to the glass elevator and finished the game, 5 movies in the theatre I still need the #4 movie, any hints? What is "the challenge" everyone is talking about? Also, I saw in the lake that the woman carved into the mountain is holding up a flickering lantern similar to the laser lanterns, what's up with that? Also what does getting 11 lasers open up compared to 7?

Lets see If tomorrow I can make it :|

About the post-end:
There is still a bunch to do.... I coudnt find it either.. its hard to get, but you are right, there is more when you get the 11 lasers.... just keep checking the box on the top of the montain, which opened the floor with the 7 lasers before. ;)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yes I did.
I just can't handle the RNG. Sometimes I get easy as hell puzzles, sometimes I get shit that seems impossible. It's really frustrating. I don't like randomness in games, I really don't appreciate it in a game that was extremely and deliberately tightly designed before, and that never rushed you down. I find this room to be a grave mistake.
I mean, it is a deliberately hidden super challenge. Walking away from it isn't some giant failure.

it's barely even part of the island.

kadotsu

Banned
That's not
NES game design
, that's
puzzle game design

Timed shit with boring puzzles at the beginning and the hardest at the end is very NES era. More modern games put the challenging stuff at the beginning so you spend the most time learning that stuff. The easy puzzles at the end add as a victory lap.

jett

D-Member
I mean, it is a deliberately hidden super challenge. Walking away from it isn't some giant failure.

it's barely even part of the island.

I know, it's just...You know. I don't like it. :p
Maybe if you had more time to complete it. It's so unnerving. I have to give it to blow, the musical choice is a genius move.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The thing is still poorly designed compared to the rest of the game.
The variance of difficulty of the puzzles is way too high. One run you get brain dead shit and then you get near impossible stuff. It also doesn't help that the hardest puzzles are at the end, that's NES era design.
Yeah, the (post-credits spoilers)
variance in difficulty is a bit frustrating. This morning I was getting to the cylinders nearly every time, now I'm hitting a wall on the three colour panels nearly every time.

I just don't have a good way of quickly internalising the cylinder puzzles with two lines. It completely overloads my short term memory. And even then, the version that has the two starting right next to each other is HUGELY simpler than the other sort. So it's basically a dice roll at this point as to whether or not I'll actually be able to finish.

Like, it's kind of dumb but it is hilarious. It feels tongue in cheek to me.

kadotsu

Banned
You thought this game was gonna give you a victory lap?

I was expecting more that high variance difficulty RNG on a timed puzzle string. Lets take the maze. You can lose a lot of time if you get a complex way through the maze. Even with procedural generation you could have coded in a max path turn number/length. I lost 90% of my attempts on overly hard symmetry puzzles.

RedColumn

I was expecting more that high variance difficulty RNG on a timed puzzle string. Lets take the maze. You can lose a lot of time if you get a complex way through the maze. Even with procedural generation you could have coded in a max path turn number/length. I lost 90% of my attempts on overly hard symmetry puzzles.

Agree in there
The maze one can keep your time a lot down, some times a have a 3 lines maze, and some others I have to got up and down with not stop...so, yeah, you can figure from the start if your maze is hard and you think you are not fast enought... just stop music and start again..

I have to give it to blow, the musical choice is a genius move.

Only this song, and is so perfect! It coudnt fit more the entire challenge situation!

Fat4all

Banned

It's not RNG. Just like every other area, it is teaching you how to solve it, even if it is super frustrating at first.

I never got the impression the end of this game would be any sort of cakewalk. I remember thinking, every time I got to the end of an area, "OK, only got to do the last puzzle before the laser" only to wrack my brain for tens of mins, even when I was flying through puzzles only moments ago.

Back up and line it up with the rocks.

Sorry, I don't really remember this one much. Think it was just a shortcut so it doesn't really stand out in my memory.

Slowly walk backwards from where you arrived.

Dang that one would have been cool to realize on my own.

Everything you need to know is in that building, but you are right about needing to go somewhere else. ;)

There is no new rule,
but you do need something else.

Figured it out! :) Blow is a clever bastard

kadotsu

Banned
It's not RNG. Just like every other area, it is teaching you how to solve it, even if it is frustrating at first.

I never got the impression the end of this game would be any sort of cakewalk. I remember thinking, every time I got to the end of an area, "OK, only got to do the last puzzle before the laser" only to wrack my brain for tens of mins, even when I was flying through puzzles only moments ago.

I already beat it.
There are two easy ways to improve the challenge dramatically. Limit the complexity variance of the maze path and put the pillars before the maze.

OrbitalBeard (not quoting because I don't want to read the spoilers) would you be able do this third maze puzzle right from the start of the game? That is, do you need any info from somewhere else to solve it, or should I be able to solve it now, regardless of where I've gone before?

jett

D-Member
It's not RNG. Just like every other area, it is teaching you how to solve it, even if it is super frustrating at first.

What?
The Challenge is 100% RNG. All of the puzzles are randomized each time you attempt it..

OrbitalBeard (not quoting because I don't want to read the spoilers) would you be able do this third maze puzzle right from the start of the game? That is, do you need any info from somewhere else to solve it, or should I be able to solve it now, regardless of where I've gone before?

You could complete it from the start, yes.

I have 4 lasers up. Running out of places. I'd love to work on the temple/bamboo but I literally have no idea what those puzzles want from me.

I wouldn't mind some really vague hints.
I hear a bird but it doesn't seem to chirp at any specific thing I'm doing.

The maze doesn't give me any problems. I find it fairly easy to just memorize the x-y positions and rough route I took and breeze through it. The segregation puzzles before it are the ones that tend to kill me. Sometimes it's painfully obvious which one is solvable, others, I waste 3 minutes and just restart. I also find the cylindrical puzzles to basically just be a game of guess and check.

Fat4all

Banned
I already beat it.
There are two easy ways to improve the challenge dramatically. Limit the complexity variance of the maze path and put the pillars before the maze.
What?
The Challenge is 100% RNG. All of the puzzles are randomized each time you attempt it..

Does that mean that they really can't be solved every time? I just kept thinking I was messing up, and that each one had a solution I just wasn't getting at first.

I thought they just alternated.

Thanks. Fuck, this is hard. I'll sleep on it.

I really think you should read my first tagged response. You can hate me all you want if you feel I spoiled something but I think it's a pretty good nudge and I'd hardly even classify it as a hint. Hopefully some people can back me up. I don't give you the solution in any way.

The second response I give is a hint though.

If you don't want to check anything out in my previous post though, I hear you.

Does that mean that they really can't be solved every time? I just kept thinking I was messing up, and that each one had a solution I just wasn't getting at first.

It more means that the difficult of each attempt can vary hugely.
What I'm uncertain of is whether every single individual puzzle is randomized or if you get one of a randomized "set" of patterns. I feel like I'm missing something with those panels above the music box that I can't initially interact with, like they somehow are trying to give me a piece of useful information that I don't understand.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It more means that the difficult of each attempt can vary hugely.
What I'm uncertain of is whether every single individual puzzle is randomized or if you get one of a randomized "set" of patterns. I feel like I'm missing something with those panels above the music box that I can't initially interact with, like they somehow are trying to give me a piece of useful information that I don't understand.
Yeah, those three panels are maddening. I have no idea what they represent.

This game really is brilliant as a multiplayer experience. I spent some time this evening working on it with a friend. He would draw out the puzzles on graph paper and then we'd stick our heads together and figure it out. Great stuff. The camaraderie you feel after suffering over a puzzle for ten minutes is amazing.

jett

D-Member

The puzzles are randomly/procedurally generated each time. It wouldn't be a problem if you didn't have a time limit. They don't alternate. They allegedly can always be solved, but sometimes I swear it seems like you can't, and since it's RNG, you really can't be 100% sure. :p

Top Bottom