• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Dominator

Vtsgp

I am so happy

EDIT: Is my pic loading? Can't tell.

That's absolutely awesome news. The level of polish and production that went into this game deserves to be recognized and replicated, ecstatic to hear that it's doing so well and that we can look forward to comparable games in the future.

border

I've sat around with a piece of cut-out construction paper trying to solve this one, and I have hit a dead end in the Treehouse:

http://www.picpaste.com/bzDbZtNJ.JPG

It's still my first Tetris puzzle sequence so maybe there's a rule I am not aware of.
No matter how I rotate the shape I can't find an orientation that will only capture 2 Starbursts and leave me with enough free space to section off the remaining 4 into groups of 2.

Zocano

Well I hit the "credits".

That was weird.

super secret final trophy question:
Is that last trophy the gramophone puzzle sequence? I assume that's the "challenge" everyone is referring to

I've sat around with a piece of cut-out construction paper trying to solve this one, and I have hit a dead end in the Treehouse:

http://www.picpaste.com/bzDbZtNJ.JPG

It's still my first Tetris puzzle sequence so maybe there's a rule I am not aware of.
No matter how I rotate the shape I can't find an orientation that will only capture 2 Starbursts and leave me with enough free space to section off the remaining 4 into groups of 2.
You need to form pairs of two violet stars, you have four paired at the top and right.

Edit: Oh, you know the rules. Nevermind.
Well, keep trying, it's entirely possible. ;)

border

You need to form pairs of two violet stars, you have four paired at the top and right.

I definitely understand that the starbursts need to be paired off. It just seems that once I draw the shape, I don't have enough free space on the grid to pair off the ones that remain. I feel like the solution is staring me in the face but nothing really seems to work.

Exuro

Okay so game/challenge finished. I'm at 509 puzzles. Where are some of the tricker to find ones? Only one off the top of my head is
The shipwreck. Currently working on the color room in the town.

Well I hit the "credits".

That was weird.

super secret final trophy question:
Is that last trophy the gramophone puzzle sequence? I assume that's the "challenge" everyone is referring to

yes

I definitely understand that the starbursts need to be paired off. It just seems that once I draw the shape, I don't have enough free space on the grid to pair off the ones that remain. I feel like the solution is staring me in the face but nothing really seems to work.

It is.

Big hint:
That's not the orientation the shape will end up having

Nimajneb

Hint:
It's possible to section off the stars using only the shape, you don't need addition lines.

Big Hint:
Put a set of stars in the gap at the top of the shape

Drawing the shape is enough.

And there's another piece of information which you might want to know once you solve it:
There are 3 solutions.

BraXzy

So, 3 sessions now and it's confirmed... I tried, but simply cannot begin playing this game without saying "WITNESS ME!" aloud as it loads.

I just completed (so far as I know) the
"mirroring" puzzles, made a big beam shoot off into the distance.

The progression of ideas taught to the player during that sequence (which I guess might be called the boathouse and cliffs or so?), looking back on it, could have been used to fuel an entire $10 puzzle game on their own.
Can't believe how much more there is to see.

Haaawwwkkkkkkkkkk! I will personally carry you to the gates of Valhalla.

Just you wait just, you wait. Such an incredible, mind blowing game. I'm not halfway done and I've played like 20 hours. That place you're on about I class as the '
canyon
' area. But it is technically
symettry

MEGATON for those struggling with the Challenge:
take a picture of a difficult puzzle on your phone and have your PS4 enter rest mode. The timer stops. Now you can take your sweet time! :)

I might actually complete this now, haha.

That's actually pretty brilliant.
Do you have to enter rest mode, or does it still stop time if you just press the PS button to go to the dash?

border

Why isn't this a valid answer?

Treetops:

I had trouble with that one a page or two ago. I thought the solution was kinda bullshit. The hint I might give you is that you can group white squares with black starbursts, but not black squares with black starbursts. As far as I remember though, there were really no puzzles that clearly demonstrated this rule......which is why I thought it was kinda bullshit.

I don't know if people are trying not to give away the answer to how the stars actually work, or if there are just a bunch of people who think they know how they work but actually don't.

MEGATON for those struggling with the Challenge:
take a picture of a difficult puzzle on your phone and have your PS4 enter rest mode. The timer stops. Now you can take your sweet time! :)

I might actually complete this now, haha.

Unfortunately not sure if PC has anything equivalent.
Hitting esc aborts the challenge, alt-tabbing out leaves the timer running in the background. Hmm... Putting the entire computer to sleep? Seems a bit extreme...

I just got here and I don't know if I'll be able to do it, pfft @_@ I'll try sometime else, I have been needing to take a large break from the game anyway.

Alright, regarding the solution to getting to the Treehouse laser, I do feel like that was a little bit of bull. I finally had to get help because
I had no idea that I needed the bridges to be rearranged.

I was sitting there like an idiot with all my puzzles finished. Ugh.

Pooya

So I just unlocked a video, do I come to this place
to watch other videos too? It looks like on that panel with different inputs you get different videos? right?

So near some castle/church thing

There is a screen with a maze on it and what looks like a replica in panels on the ground. When I step on them the light up. Of course now I've lit them all up and I don't know how to reset it. Is this part of the test or I am just really dumb

That's actually pretty brilliant.
Do you have to enter rest mode, or does it still stop time if you just press the PS button to go to the dash?

Full rest mode. The music continues if you just hit the PS button. Take a picture of the puzzle in question the go into rest mode.

(Post-Endgame Spoilers)
Ah, right, so I was exploring the tunnels past the Challenge and found this paper in a safe. Anyone know what this is used for? (Preferably don't give me the outright answer, just a hint) It doesn't make sense to me, after all it's showing a puzzle and not a solution as with other safes. I even tried clicking on it to see if I could solve it on the paper but it didn't work. My guess is there's a similar panel somewhere without the symbols that I need to solve as if it was this paper? Am I on the right track with that thinking? Do I need to beat the Challenge first for it to make any sense?

TheXbox

Yeah, I'm still trying to get a handle on the rules of those. It's really the only type I have trouble with.
The tutorial doesn't do a great job of explaining things. I futzed around on the first couple puzzles after the tutorial bit until something worked, and when I saw what it was it was like a revelation. Without giving the ruleset away, I'll just say that it really helps to draw pictures.

KraytarJ

Yeah, I'm still trying to get a handle on the rules of those. It's really the only type I have trouble with.
The best advice I can give wrt Tetris pieces is
think of it like building blocks. Where you're creating a structure using those particular shapes with the only rule being to include the symbol in your shape.
I'm not really sure how to explain it better than that. It is a little funny to see so many people struggling with something that came so naturally to me. Although I'm sure there are things that took me a while to get that many others would think was trivial.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Oh god. In the Mountain.
The color changing panels are painful. Literally.

Goldrusher

(Post-Endgame Spoilers)
Ah, right, so I was exploring the tunnels past the Challenge and found this paper in a safe. Anyone know what this is used for? (Preferably don't give me the outright answer, just a hint) It doesn't make sense to me, after all it's showing a puzzle and not a solution as with other safes. I even tried clicking on it to see if I could solve it on the paper but it didn't work. My guess is there's a similar panel somewhere without the symbols that I need to solve as if it was this paper? Am I on the right track with that thinking? Do I need to beat the Challenge first for it to make any sense?

The gate at the end of the tutorial area has that pattern. No idea if it's related though.

(Post-Endgame Spoilers)

Don't read the spoilered response above this post.

Yes, you must find that panel. The Challenge doesn't matter.

Nimajneb

This was bugging me, so I just tested it.

All three solutions work - yours, mine, and the one you found.

I went back to test it again and found that my original solution was already entered on the complete panel. I swear it didn't work the first time, and I had to use the alternate solution I looked up. Weird.

Top Bottom