• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

The gate at the end of the tutorial area has that pattern. No idea if it's related though.

Hah, I was too busy running around for a 4x4 panel with similar start and end points to think back that far. Hmm...

Don't read the spoilered response above this post.

Yes, you must find that panel. The Challenge doesn't matter.

Too late, but oh well X3 I'm pretty much done with the game except for
The Challenge and secret lines
anyway,

RMI

Banned
FINALLY worked out the Tetris puzzles. Greatest accomplishment of 2016

I think I understand the tetrominoes, but only like 95% of the time .It is like that for many of the puzzles in this game. MOST of the time I understand why my solution is correct, but some of the time I'm not 100% sure, and it makes me question whether or not I have actually learned anything.

This is a phenomenal game.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So, I had the solution for this panel in the
logging forest
spoiled for me on accident, but I've left the panel unsolved because I'm unable to understand how you're supposed to reach the solution. I've looked at it from a ton of angles, but the solution doesn't appear in any way that I can perceive. What am I supposed to learn here?

Roussow

I think I'm around four-fifths into the Tetris/Blue hollow squares section. I've just gotten to the first red water submerged underwater set of panels (with blue hollow squares as the ongoing theme). Conceptually I'm just starting to loose the rule sets on these things, there seems to be the idea of cancelling stuff out, too -- which is boggling the mind. I'm thinking whether I should just bail, try and find another area to start on, would you guys recommend this? Is it viable? Or should I just keep at it?

HoodWinked

So, I had the solution for this panel in the
logging forest
spoiled for me on accident, but I've left the panel unsolved because I'm unable to understand how you're supposed to reach the solution. I've looked at it from a ton of angles, but the solution doesn't appear in any way that I can perceive. What am I supposed to learn here?

two starting points, and there is a path that appears on left of the panel

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm still early on in the Tetris puzzles, but the first red panel (combine one horizontal long shape + 2 vertical 3 block ones) is already confusing me. The previous puzzle tought me that
shapes adjacent to each other can be grouped and don't need a seperating line. However here, the shapes blend together! The final block of the 3 shape is in the 4 shape.

It's driving me crazy because the most logical solution doesn't work, and this is the first panel in a 5 sequence. It's like this panel introduces a new rule I haven't figured out yet.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
two starting points, and there is a path that appears on left of the panel

I figured there was a trick with the two starting points, since the lit side cuts off on the left of the panel. But the stuff on the left doesn't seem to coincide with the correct solution at all from what I can tell.

HoodWinked

I figured there was a trick with the two starting points, since the lit side cuts off on the left of the panel. But the stuff on the left doesn't seem to coincide with the correct solution at all from what I can tell.

draw what you think it is seems like you're on the right track.

Grinchy

Banned
Up to 233, +7. This game is like crack. My brain is melted and I already want to turn it back on. It's also a really perfect game for Suspend/Resume.

I think I'm around four-fifths into the Tetris/Blue hollow squares section. I've just gotten to the first red water submerged underwater set of panels (with blue hollow squares as the ongoing theme). Conceptually I'm just starting to loose the rule sets on these things, there seems to be the idea of cancelling stuff out, too -- which is boggling the mind. I'm thinking whether I should just bail, try and find another area to start on, would you guys recommend this? Is it viable? Or should I just keep at it?

I did take a break when I first got there. It's not essential to every area where the tetris pieces are used.

That said, it does take a little time. You may really have to hit these panels with a lot of wrong and right solutions for the correct rule to make sense.

I'm still early on in the Tetris puzzles, but the first red panel (combine one horizontal long shape + 2 vertical 3 block ones) is already confusing me. The previous puzzle tought me that
shapes adjacent to each other can be grouped and don't need a seperating line. However here, the shapes blend together! The final block of the 3 shape is in the 4 shape.

It's driving me crazy because the most logical solution doesn't work, and this is the first panel in a 5 sequence. It's like this panel introduces a new rule I haven't figured out yet.

You can figure it out from that panel.
The shapes can't overlap each other. Where does the horizontal shape have to go, to avoid overlapping?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Edit: Never mind, you got that part.

Caught before your edit. That was the key I was missing, which I kept looking over since I'd already seen the solution before I'd been to the panel. I've torn through the rest of the puzzles in that section, which came much more naturally because I wasn't fixated on the solution ahead of time. Gotta take care not to peep!

HoodWinked

i ran around and i think i found the puzzle you were looking at and my guess is that you're not seeing that
the grouping you make of the tetris blocks needs to contain the panel with the tetris block

schuey7

Up to 233, +7. This game is like crack. My brain is melted and I already want to turn it back on. It's also a really perfect game for Suspend/Resume.

I'm upto 203, +17 and feel the same way.It helps that alt tabbing to windows doesn't result in any crashes and the game loads up super quick.

Major post-endgame plot spoilers, including the
secret ending
:

So, seeing this secret ending video again after hearing the fourth-wall breaking audiologs sort of puts a new spin on things. I thought it was just a joking easter egg video before that referred to Blow himself coming out of stasis after spending 8 years on the game, but now I think that it's actually a legitimate ending to the game. Also, if you screenshot at the right time (or get the Bink video player and play the raw .bk2 files from the game's directory so you can skip through frame by frame) you can make out some of the stuff on the computers shown in the end including the suggestion that the player had spent several real days in the simulation, with a final puzzle count each time before they would get the ending and reset. Unfortunately, the poster with "Project TR" (TRanquility?) on it is too blurry to read in any frame it seems (boo on Blow for using such a bad camera!), but I assume that's the codename "in universe" for the island simulation.

Hmm, I think the game being a simulation is a satisfying enough explanation for me, though I expect once it gets more widely spread it'll suffer some criticism as happens with a lot of "it was all a dream". Hopefully none on the level of Braid's bomb backlash X_x

Well, with that said I feel my time with the game is about at an end. I'll attempt the challenge sometime I'm sure, and I do want to go around and look for more secrets and audiologs that I missed, but unless finding them all unlocks something I feel that I am losing the incentive to continue. And really, that's fine. I've spent my entire week thinking about and playing the game, including the 14 hour marathon on Tuesday that I'm not sure I can recall ever doing with any game before. The game is truly special, and while it's not for everyone, when it is right up your alley (as it was for me) then it stands out as a masterpiece among its genre. No regrets on the $40 cost from me, pfft.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
i ran around and i think i found the puzzle you were looking at and my guess is that you're not seeing that
the grouping you make of the tetris blocks needs to contain the panel with the tetris block

Oh I do, that's like the basic rule. This is the only solution that makes sense to me now:

http://imgur.com/2y2oAyP

But it also doesn't jive with the rules because
the shapes blend together

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Oh I do, that's like the basic rule. This is the only solution that makes sense to me now:

http://imgur.com/2y2oAyP

But it also doesn't jive with the rules because
the shapes blend together

The pieces cannot overlap each other like that. Each must maintain the exact number of blocks as the tetromino. The previous rule you were taught remains correct here as well. This, however, is going to teach you a new rule.

Question about the last puzzle in the castle / keep

The final puzzle overlooking the panels. Do the panels below provide any hints? The final hedge maze puzzle was simply tracing over your previous path. This doesn't seem to work for this puzzle though.

Unfortunately, the poster with "Project TR" (TRanquility?) on it is too blurry to read in any frame it seems (boo on Blow for using such a bad camera!), but I assume that's the codename "in universe" for the island simulation.

That is
a map from the Infocom text adventure Trinity: http://infocom.elsewhere.org/gallery/trinity/Trinity_Map.jpg

So either he's teasing us all about Braid's nuclear bomb ending again, or he just seriously has that on the wall all the time.

Mistle

The final puzzle overlooking the panels. Do the panels below provide any hints? The final hedge maze puzzle was simply tracing over your previous path. This doesn't seem to work for this puzzle though.
Try
connecting the panels but not exactly from their exits and entrances. Do any other parts seem to line up?

May not be the exact solution but it was my thought process. May be a few differences.

You need to come up with a path from scratch.

MBison

Think about the rotation of the hedges and where you can go. It had me at first but you have to think about it a bit differently especially the last section. And move from bottom left around to bottom right.

Zocano

platinuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum.

That last puzzle wasn't anywhere near as hard as some of you seemed to hype it up to be.

I think my total playtime is like 20 hours or so?

Try
connecting the panels but not exactly from their exits and entrances. Do any other parts seem to line up?

May not be the exact solution but it was my thought process. May be a few differences.

You need to come up with a path from scratch.

Shiiiiiiiiiit

Think about the rotation of the hedges and where you can go. It had me at first but you have to think about it a bit differently especially the last section. And move from bottom left around to bottom right.

I've already completed all the hedge puzzles, including the final one.

danthefan

I'm totally stuck in the castle, hint please?

It's the first Tetris puzzle I've reached, it's one of the ones that you have to walk on panels rather than just draw, if this is my first Tetris puzzle have I missed easier ones some other place? I can't figure out the rules.

Man, I'm about to give up on the challenge. I do fine up to those fucking tetromino puzzles. They always get me and I just don't seem able to grasp them.

Zocano

It's the first Tetris puzzle I've reached, it's one of the ones that you have to walk on panels rather than just draw, if this is my first Tetris puzzle have I missed easier ones some other place? I can't figure out the rules.

There is another place to teach you.

Come back later. I did that way later after finishing the castle

Very early in the game.

What do the White squares mean in the puzzle, and why some blocks flash red after you unsuccessfully complete a puzzle?

Apologies for poor picture.

tmN5GkA.jpg

Mistle

Nearly completed what I'm fairly sure was the final panel in the challenge, and just ran out of time ;_;

so cool to have in the hall of the mountain king suddenly play in a mostly silent game. was a "shit just got real" moment if I've ever seen one haha.

So I guess these music puzzles used to be out on the island, judging by that early screenshot of the record in the tree trunk.

Oh my god, you guys weren't kidding about the Treefort section. I think I've done more work here then I have my entire time in highschool. Oyy...

sappyday

So I went back to the symmetry area to do those puzzles that have you
outlining the rock pillars but when I did them all nothing happened. Was that just tutorial or is there a secret I missed? If a secret then say just that.

Very early in the game.

What do the White squares mean in the puzzle, and why some blocks flash red after you unsuccessfully complete a puzzle?

There are tutorial puzzles for this that will try and spell it out for you. Look back at them, or find them, and review what is happening when you solve the puzzles

Very early in the game.

If you are having troubles with this, you are in for a very bad time.

seperate the white from black

Top Bottom