• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

sunlapse

Neo Member
Endgame spoilers:

I'm stuck in the mountain where you have the two bridges opposite each other. I know earlier posts have said you have to get back to the original (blue) side once you get over to the yellow side, but there doesn't seem to be a way to complete it on the blue side to allow the yellow bridge to cross back over? Additionally, how does the door that seems to be the destination for the bridges open? Once the yellow bridge hits it, will it open or does something else trigger it?

Dominator

If you're on PS4,
take a photo of the puzzles and go to rest mode. You can literally stay suspended indefinitely while you work them out in your head or on paper.

If you're on PC, good luck!
Will try that next time around tomorrow night. I get to
the maze (which I know I can find the path with the 4th puzzle in the challenge) but it's still hard as hell. The triangle puzzles still fuck with me even though they really aren't even all that difficult.

Endgame spoilers:

I'm stuck in the mountain where you have the two bridges opposite each other. I know earlier posts have said you have to get back to the original (blue) side once you get over to the yellow side, but there doesn't seem to be a way to complete it on the blue side to allow the yellow bridge to cross back over? Additionally, how does the door that seems to be the destination for the bridges open? Once the yellow bridge hits it, will it open or does something else trigger it?

RE: opening:
It opens when both bridges are successfully extended.

Some hints in increasing spoiler strength:

You can always cross back over on the blue bridge after connecting the yellow line to something else.

You need to enter the door with the blue bridge, due to the positioning of the yellow stars.

Try setting the blue bridge in such a way that you can partition off some items using the yellow bridge, which will give you more freedom with the path of the blue bridge.

Endgame spoilers:

Make the blue bridge go across in such a way that *some* kind of connection is possible on the yellow side. Any kind

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You know all you need to know. Your understanding of the rules is 100% correct.

That's reassuring. Still don't see it though, these pieces have to overlap, there's no other way. Lol it's been hours now and I'm still stuck here.

But I'll figure it out. I'm stuck here though, the only exit is blocked by another one of these.

It's like I'm not seeing another rule to these, so frustrating.

Zocano

So I went back to the symmetry area to do those puzzles that have you
outlining the rock pillars but when I did them all nothing happened. Was that just tutorial or is there a secret I missed? If a secret then say just that.

I would like to know this as well. Kind of annoying when you just hit "dead ends" like this.

I would like to know this as well. Kind of annoying when you just hit "dead ends" like this.
You know, I'd consider that bad design when you do something and you have literally no idea what it did. Like I solve a puzzle. Hear a click. Nothing changed... That's just super unsatisfying.

Zocano

You know, I'd consider that bad design when you do something and you have literally no idea what it did. Like I solve a puzzle. Hear a click. Nothing changed... That's just super unsatisfying.

Yah there are a handful of puzzles like this. Like I get that certain ones are obviously structured to teach you but then there are others that just sort of feel like they do nothing.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
That's reassuring. Still don't see it though, these pieces have to overlap, there's no other way. Lol it's been hours now and I'm still stuck here.

But I'll figure it out. I'm stuck here though, the only exit is blocked by another one of these.

What if one of the rules you're adhering to isn't actually a rule at all? One of the tricky parts about deducing guidelines from visual language and forming a basis of understanding from previously completed puzzles for context is that you might infer something is true when it isn't.

Just a logistical question about the way the game saves descriptions work at very post-endgame:

What is the final tally supposed to be? I know it's X, +Y, +Z, where X is panels, Y is obelisk symbols completed, and Z is obelisks whitened.

Kaisos

Oh god, please don't tell me that there are
pitch-related puzzles
after the Jungle (aside from
the one on the boat
. I literally cannot tell the difference between these
damn noises

Oh god, please don't tell me that there are pitch-related puzzles after the Jungle (aside from
the one on the boat
. I literally cannot tell the difference between these damn tweets.

You should spoiler tag most of that.

Yes, there are pitch related puzzles. Just wait lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, please don't tell me that there are pitch-related puzzles after the Jungle (aside from
the one on the boat
. I literally cannot tell the difference between these damn tweets.

They're all optional after that point. (iirc)

sunlapse

Neo Member
RE: opening:
It opens when both bridges are successfully extended.

Some hints in increasing spoiler strength:

You can always cross back over on the blue bridge after connecting the yellow line to something else.

You need to enter the door with the blue bridge, due to the positioning of the yellow stars.

Try setting the blue bridge in such a way that you can partition off some items using the yellow bridge, which will give you more freedom with the path of the blue bridge.

Got it, thanks!

Though I ended up getting access with the yellow bridge, not the blue! :p

danthefan

Question about the tower, I've just lit the laser.

The last puzzle requires you to combine all the maze solutions into one puzzle which I've done. But the puzzle has two exits, I've tried to go through the maze solutions in reverse to get out the other exit but no luck. What am I mussing? There's another panel up here that's blank so I obviously need to get that powered too.

Starting to get the hang of it now, it's very enjoyable game and no motion sickness at present. Is this running at 60fps on ps4? Feels very smooth.

AgeEighty

I'm grinding away in the postgame on
the Challenge in the underground caves. While I'm loving how difficult this is and the mechanics involved with the labyrinth and whatnot, I have to say I'm not a fan of RNG being such a big factor... especially when I got to this point nearly 100% just through skill.

Houndi101

I'm not sure if I should ask but... since I think I have an idea but not sure what the game wants from me...

In the green house thingie by with the
different color glasses, yellow, blue, red and purple on the second floor.
First one you had to look through the yellow, the second through the blue, but the third one the colors seem a bit off through both of them, do I need to somehow get behind the red glass and look through it?

I just wanna know that I'm not "wasting my time" so yes or no will suffice.

Splat

My save is roughly at
400 + 40
, only panel I know of I haven't done yet is
on the ship, heading there tomorrow.
. Apart from
looking for more obelisk symbols
, is the next thing to
head up the mountain?
I
don't know if there's a point of no return.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
the Challenge in the underground caves. While I'm loving how difficult this is and the mechanics involved with the labyrinth and whatnot, I have to say I'm not a fan of RNG being such a big factor... especially when I got to this point nearly 100% just through skill.

Yes, it's a little annoying that putting together "a good run" is just a matter of getting a lucky easy maze pattern or easy symmetry puzzle.

BUT... the RNG is itself a form of puzzle. When you hit the sets of 3 color sorting puzzles, it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out, some of them are actually unsolvable. And quickly spotting these impossible configs is part of the gauntlet.

Zocano

Consider that
the ability to quickly analyze and pick out and solve "simple" puzzles is just as much a part of skill.

Shabad

I think I need a hand guy :

In the hub village, after the silent room, the RGB puzzles :

I know exactly what I am supposed to do, understand the true colors based on how it looks under each light. I got that, and even have the right panel (with the stars) solved. But for some reason, the left one - where I think I am just supposed to split the colors - is not working. The solution to split the true color isn't that difficult either, but it's just not working >.<

What am I missing there, hell, what's the solution ?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Question relating to + in the fort:

don't spoil it, but is there a way to actually solve the other three + puzzles give from the pressure plates from within the Fort itself?

What, you mean in
the Challenge
or something? I'm gonna have to look up every single one of those then. :/

It's not particularly funny...? I never thought I was tone-deaf before this. Now I feel deficient.
There are none in TC, and I don't think there are anymore in the main-line game. Don't feel bad about the sound thing. It's like a muscle that you need to develop.

BeeDog

Big end-game/post-game spoiler question:

I finished the game, so it looped me back to the start on a new save. I discovered the hotel/credits house by the first laser gate and explored. Now I understand the piss jug... Anyway, I reloaded my last save at the flying elevator, is it possible to do the hotel puzzle on the same save in order to increase my solution count?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Big end-game/post-game spoiler question:

I finished the game, so it looped me back to the start on a new save. I discovered the hotel/credits house by the first laser gate and explored. Now I understand the piss jug... Anyway, I reloaded my last save at the flying elevator, is it possible to do the hotel puzzle on the same save in order to increase my solution count?
Yes it is.

What do the tiny little black hexagon shapes mean? Do I have to
pass through them too/separate from black and white?

CSBnU82.jpg

It's not particularly funny...? I never thought I was tone-deaf before this. Now I feel deficient.

Only laughing a bit because I went through hell with it. Just focus and go through your options, you'll eventually figure it out

Good job! Now, if you have all 11,
Go back up to the mountain and look very very closely at that box. You still have a ways to go...

(;&#65103;;)

What do the tiny little black hexagon shapes mean? Do I have to
pass through them too/separate from black and white?

The game hasn't taught you yet what these do. Look for tutorial panels before you attempt some of the tutorials. The tutorial panels will be a bunch lined up.

Question about the tower, I've just lit the laser.

The last puzzle requires you to combine all the maze solutions into one puzzle which I've done. But the puzzle has two exits, I've tried to go through the maze solutions in reverse to get out the other exit but no luck. What am I mussing? There's another panel up here that's blank so I obviously need to get that powered too.

That desert puzzle underneath has three wires. You need to power all of them to open the final puzzle up top. Think back, there are three types of puzzles that need to be solved on that one board. Each type of puzzle has a unique starting point.

Stoze

Done for tonight, 509 +80.

Minor spoilers regarding + count:

I've got to admit, I'm kinda not having fun with these anymore, the novelty really wore off around 60 or so. I should have more by now but I've been putting them off despite knowing where so many are, especially ones that you have to get by traveling around with the boat.
I may not have the energy to get all of them, we'll see.

...and regarding "the challenge":
I think I got to the final panels, the cylinder ones (and then I assume I do the top three). If not then I've got a lot more practicing to do. Either way I love this.

Right now I'm still mainly stuck on the shipwreck. The mental gymnastics I've been pulling are nuts and I still haven't solved it...god damn. If I can't get it with a fresh head tomorrow, I'm probably gonna ask for my first hint on here.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
What if one of the rules you're adhering to isn't actually a rule at all? One of the tricky parts about deducing guidelines from visual language and forming a basis of understanding from previously completed puzzles for context is that you might infer something is true when it isn't.

Ugh, no wonder I couldn't solve this, I skipped an entire row of tutorial puzzles on the first island that teaches you
can swap shapes around, as long as your total piece count is correct and the shapes are there

The platform activated once the first row was done, so I got on it right away and couldn't go back.

Of course I immediately solved that other puzzle now.

The colored white/black squares count when you draw up the tetris blocks. Hence, the part you circled is incorrect, you have one square too many.

Thanks for confirming.

I need to find a way to isolate the white blocks without blocking the end of the line of four.

edit:finally got it.

Anyone mind giving a hint regarding the triangle symbols? I thought I understood how they work but I don't....and I have a feeling I'm going to need to understand them for real at at some point.

HoodWinked

I think I need a hand guy :

In the hub village, after the silent room, the RGB puzzles :

I know exactly what I am supposed to do, understand the true colors based on how it looks under each light. I got that, and even have the right panel (with the stars) solved. But for some reason, the left one - where I think I am just supposed to split the colors - is not working. The solution to split the true color isn't that difficult either, but it's just not working >.<

What am I missing there, hell, what's the solution ?

probably just didnt get the colors correct just write it down.
i made a chart with binary. so on red if it was light or dark i assigned it a 0 or 1, then blue, then green so each square had a series of 011 or 011 or etc this way i knew the color for each square in binary then solved it easily.

It's like I'm not seeing another rule to these, so frustrating.

Remember
the combined shape only needs to have the pieces within them, once combined, the shapes can be in any location just so long as they are within the space you carve out.

zashga

Finished the game! Cleared all
areas and around
422 +50
puzzles.

Kinda disappointed that it just dumps you back the beginning and resets everything. I could've clicked "new game" any time I wanted, you know?

Great game. Beautiful visuals, really creative and surprising right to the end. Don't know if I'll go back to solve all the optional stuff. Spent about 24 hours with it already.

Eridani

So, I just finished the game and now have a couple of questions about
some of the secrets/things I missed.

1.) What does the color room in the town (the one after the sound room with three different lights) unlock?

2.) Could anyone point me towards a guide describing all the hidden stuff that is relevant to the story? Things like video locations, other endings, audio logs etc. I'm really not all that interested in scouring the entire island looking for them, so it would be nice to at least know where they are.

Top Bottom