• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

J Range

Finished the game! Cleared all
areas and around
422 +50
puzzles.

Kinda disappointed that it just dumps you back the beginning and resets everything. I could've clicked "new game" any time I wanted, you know?

Great game. Beautiful visuals, really creative and surprising right to the end. Don't know if I'll go back to solve all the optional stuff. Spent about 24 hours with it already.

Start the new game and have a look around the starting area and see if you realize anything you might not have when you really started the game for the first time.

BeeDog

Anyone mind giving a hint regarding the triangle symbols? I thought I understood how they work but I don't....and I have a feeling I'm going to need to understand them for real at at some point.

I believe I finally have the hang of them:
The number of orange triangles within a square tells you how many sides of that particular square you have to draw a line on.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Remember
the combined shape only needs to have the pieces within them, once combined, the shapes can be in any location just so long as they are within the space you carve out.

Yeah like I said in my previous post, I missed an entire row of tutorial puzzles that show you this. I got on the moving platform too soon. I finished that entire row in one go now, back on track.

Kinda weird that the game allows you to advance after finishing half, I missed that back row completely.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, no wonder I couldn't solve this, I skipped an entire row of tutorial puzzles on the first island that teaches you
can swap shapes around, as long as your total piece count is correct and the shapes are there

The platform activated once the first row was done, so I got on it right away and couldn't go back.

Of course I immediately solved that other puzzle now.

just as an fyi
the puzzle that moves the platform from one side to the other has more than one solution...

Yeah like I said in my previous post, I missed an entire row of tutorial puzzles that show you this. I got on the moving platform too soon. I finished that entire row in one go now, back on track.

Kinda weird that the game allows you to advance after finishing half, I missed that back row completely.

The progression in that section is funky.

Stoze

Anyone mind giving a hint regarding the triangle symbols? I thought I understood how they work but I don't....and I have a feeling I'm going to need to understand them for real at at some point.

Some one word hints:

Vague hint:
Lines

Better hint:
Touching

Tetraeon

Endgame spoilers:

I'm stuck in the mountain where you have the two bridges opposite each other. I know earlier posts have said you have to get back to the original (blue) side once you get over to the yellow side, but there doesn't seem to be a way to complete it on the blue side to allow the yellow bridge to cross back over? Additionally, how does the door that seems to be the destination for the bridges open? Once the yellow bridge hits it, will it open or does something else trigger it?

Both bridges need to be connected to an exit for the door to open, but that doesn't necessarily mean the yellow one needs to hit the door exit...
This one involves crossing back and forth a few times to get the correct pathing for both bridges.

UnrealEck

Bought the game on PS4. I was originally going to wait for the price to come down but after reading Jon's comments on the rampant piracy of the game, I wanted to send some love his way.

He said the game was #1 on (I guess) pirate bay. It wasn't. Even RoTR was higher and that has DRM that hasn't been bypassed yet.
I think people aren't buying it because it's a £30 puzzle game.

About audio logs:
Are they the same as the videos, or are there audio-only logs in addition to the videos? If so, I haven't found them, or found them but not figured out how to activate them

Any help with this puzzle in the marsh?

I get how the hollow blue squares work, for the most part, but my brain gears aren't turning for this particular problem:

Actually, I'm not even sure I get how the squares work. If I isolate the 3 squares in the upper right corner, they shouldn't blink, so my theory that "blue squares each replace one tetris block" doesn't hold up.

BeeDog

Any help with this puzzle in the marsh?

I get how the hollow blue squares work, for the most part, but my brain gears aren't turning for this particular problem:

Actually, I'm not even sure I get how the squares work. If I isolate the 3 squares in the upper right corner, they shouldn't blink, so my theory that "blue squares each replace one tetris block" doesn't hold up.

You need to reevaluate your understanding of the blue squares. :) VERY CLEAR SPOILER:
Blue squares subtract squares from tetris blocks.

Robiin

Under the church/windmill spoilers:
Why was I just watching a man walk with a candle for five minutes? I can deal with abstract philosophy, but this one was just a bit too weird to me. Third movie I unlocked, and the other two were at least people talking.

BeeDog

Under the church/windmill spoilers:
Why was I just watching a man walk with a candle for five minutes? I can deal with abstract philosophy, but this one was just a bit too weird to me. Third movie I unlocked, and the other two were at least people talking.

SPOILER:
I don't really know the point of that movie scene, but the video itself contains a puzzle line you can draw.

danthefan

Ok, in a greenhouse type area now. Need another hint please.

I've done the
two panels of 5 puzzles and opened up a door. The puzzles are all about separating colours from each other. This first puzzle upon opening the door... I don't see how it's possible. Are the flowers lying about the place meant to be a clue, can certain (different) colours be grouped together? I just don't see how all the different sections can be separated.

Jisgsaw

Ok, in a greenhouse type area now. Need another hint please.

I've done the
two panels of 5 puzzles and opened up a door. The puzzles are all about separating colours from each other. This first puzzle upon opening the door... I don't see how it's possible. Are the flowers lying about the place meant to be a clue, can certain (different) colours be grouped together? I just don't see how all the different sections can be separated.

Big hint:
Change your viewing point when looking at the puzzle.
Spent a looong time figuring it out.

Less obvious hint:
it's all about colours, not flowers. Think about how a colour is perceived.

ok just finished it.
ENDGAME SPOILERS + post endgame talk below.
went into the elevator and it took me back all around and then undid everything what. Also now it tells me to start a new game. do i just start and then load my previous save and go all the way back and do the extra shit now like try and do the last trophy and the obelisk stuff? I really want to get more audio logs and find more videos

BeeDog

ok just finished it.
ENDGAME SPOILERS + post endgame talk below.
went into the elevator and it took me back all around and then undid everything what. Also now it tells me to start a new game. do i just start and then load my previous save and go all the way back and do the extra shit now like try and do the last trophy and the obelisk stuff? I really want to get more audio logs and find more videos

When finishing the game, it autosaves right at the moment when you are in the elevator. Just open the "Load Game" menu and select the latest one and you can continue on from there.

When finishing the game, it autosaves right at the moment when you are in the elevator. Just open the "Load Game" menu and select the latest one and you can continue on from there.

Got it. I think im gonna go out for a walk and then come back and try the challenge or figure out how to get to it. also i need to go to every area and look for environment puzzles lol. Thanks for this info about the save spot.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Could someone give me just a small hint for this panel? I've done all the others in this room, but I just cannot do this one. The problem is that
there's shadow over most of it, so I can't get the light glare I need
, and there doesn't appear to be any way for me to change that.

Could someone give me just a small hint for this panel? I've done all the others in this room, but I just cannot do this one. The problem is that
there's shadow over most of it, so I can't get the light glare I need
, and there doesn't appear to be any way for me to chage that.

There are
Two light sources lighting that panel.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There are
Two light sources lighting that panel.

Hmm, I thought I tried
looking at it from from different angles
, but not well enough I guess! Thanks!

EDIT: Still can't do it. Can't find the angle. I've failed, guess I'll just quit playing video games forever.

Mistle

I think the optional content that comes after you "finish" the game is quite awesome and a much more fitting conclusion.

if you just accept the elevator as the ending then you miss out on the whole extra cave area, the challenge (which is totally a satisfying conclusion to doing puzzles), final video and final solution to credits area.. Flying back to a new save file is pretty confusing and it'd be sad if anyone just stopped playing there.

Hmm, I thought I tried
looking at it from from different angles
, but not well enough I guess! Thanks!

EDIT: Still can't do it. Can't find the angle. I've failed, guess I'll just quit playing video games forever.

iirc it's across the way for the yellow light, middle water level, pain in the ass since it's moving. And the other side I think is a pretty skewed angle from the left for the bluer light. You have to extrapolate the far right edge.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
iirc it's across the way for the yellow light, middle water level, pain in the ass since it's moving. And the other side I think is a pretty skewed angle from the left for the bluer light. You have to extrapolate the far right edge.

I got the first one, haven't found the second yet. But I'll keep looking even if I grow old and die in this damn room!

EDIT: Did it. The rest was easy, and that's another laser lit!

I am physically stuck at the sawmill.

The slope went all the way to the other side of the room and there's no way to get down.

If you are where I think you are you can make it move back.

Mik2121

Stuck on the log / forest area with the
shadows falling on the pieces. I got through most except for the one that has 2 starts and there's a continuation or something on the left of it on two rusty planks.

I've tried assuming all the shadows were shifted so I had to start from the start to the right, but no luck. Wonder what's up with this (if anyone up for some very vague hint, go ahead, this will be my second vague hint in the whole game and that's enough!)

Zomba13

I got the first one, haven't found the second yet. But I'll keep looking even if I grow old and die in this damn room!

If you are where I think you are you can make it move back.

That was one of the worst rooms for me. I could not find ANYTHING on the third panel and resorted to cheating. Like, I knew what to do but the whole mechanic there is slow and there are a billion places to find the hint and I never saw a glint of the hint.

That one though was much easier for me.

Robiin

Stuck on the log / forest area with the
shadows falling on the pieces. I got through most except for the one that has 2 starts and there's a continuation or something on the left of it on two rusty planks.

I've tried assuming all the shadows were shifted so I had to start from the start to the right, but no luck. Wonder what's up with this (if anyone up for some very vague hint, go ahead, this will be my second vague hint in the whole game and that's enough!)
You have the right idea. Just keep at it and think about what
depth does to shadows.

Nzyme32

Finished the game! Cleared all
areas and around
422 +50
puzzles.

Kinda disappointed that it just dumps you back the beginning and resets everything. I could've clicked "new game" any time I wanted, you know?

Great game. Beautiful visuals, really creative and surprising right to the end. Don't know if I'll go back to solve all the optional stuff. Spent about 24 hours with it already.

It's not over if you want to take what you've learnt and apply it to places you have been, like the beginning and even the end. The ending you saw also mentions several things to be investigated I think, though I don't understand those yet.

You need to reevaluate your understanding of the blue squares. :) VERY CLEAR SPOILER:
Blue squares subtract squares from tetris blocks.

That's what I mean, though...
if you check the 3 squares in the upper right, that part should not blink if enclosed (by themselves, as a test) following the rule you mentioned, but they do.

help me fam

on a 980ti @ 1440p

my game is fucking ugly, it looks smudged in the distance. textures are poor.

where are they hiding the graphic settings :{(

Tunahead

Stuck on endgame puzzle:

https://i.imgur.com/l3OhvO5.jpg
What the hell am I meant to do with this mess? Panels 3, 4 and 6 can't co-exist. They just can't. There is no possible way to solve all three of them at the same time. The tetrominos in panel 3 have to leave the top row free to let the stars in panel 4 connect, but the tetromino in panel 6 has only two possible configurations, and both of them leave a one block wide channel between panel 3 and 6 tetrominos. That means I have to either start by going right to make the panel 3 shape and go back through the exit to make the panel 6 shape and then I can't get back to the exit, or start by going up and making the panel 6 shape and go back through the exit to make the panel 3 shape and make the whole damn thing impossible again. What gives? Am I supposed to vandalize one of the panels? HOW?!

*Splinter

Stuck on endgame puzzle:

https://i.imgur.com/l3OhvO5.jpg
What the hell am I meant to do with this mess? Panels 3, 4 and 6 can't co-exist. They just can't. There is no possible way to solve all three of them at the same time. The tetrominos in panel 3 have to leave the top row free to let the stars in panel 4 connect, but the tetromino in panel 6 has only two possible configurations, and both of them leave a one block wide channel between panel 3 and 6 tetrominos. That means I have to either start by going right to make the panel 3 shape and go back through the exit to make the panel 6 shape and then I can't get back to the exit, or start by going up and making the panel 6 shape and go back through the exit to make the panel 3 shape and make the whole damn thing impossible again. What gives? Am I supposed to vandalize one of the panels? HOW?!
It's possible. Maybe draw the whole thing so can see it in one place?

So, I just finished the game and now have a couple of questions about
some of the secrets/things I missed.

1.) What does the color room in the town (the one after the sound room with three different lights) unlock?

2.) Could anyone point me towards a guide describing all the hidden stuff that is relevant to the story? Things like video locations, other endings, audio logs etc. I'm really not all that interested in scouring the entire island looking for them, so it would be nice to at least know where they are.

The lights do something else, but the puzzles themselves are just a final 'challenge' of that topic

No guide besides some on reddit that are't complete, but there's luckily one in game. Go to the lake.

Ok, thanks!

I'll probably use a guide to find them. I'm not a fan of pixel hunts

You too, go to the lake, see the white flowers :3

Top Bottom