• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

mclem

+61
, game finished. I'd estimate around 15 hours, unless there's an accurate clock somewhere. Certainly not as long as some people were expecting for base completion, although don't take that to mean I feel cheated; I've absolutely got my money's worth.

No external help deliberately, although I did hit an unspoilered hint for one puzzle (
the third hedge maze
). I do suspect I would have figured it out myself, anyway; I had little trouble with the others.

Still missing a few mysteries, so I'm not going to wind it up just yet:
(No actual endgame spoilers, here, but lots of comments on things I encountered on the way through the game that I didn't resolve)
I've only got ten lasers. I'm not even particularly sure where the eleventh is. I may have miscounted!

There's a few panels that I'm sure what they triggered (if anything) when I finished:
The translucent-panel puzzles downwards from the reflection section
The two panels in the coloured-light room in the town
The *other* panel atop the Keep's tower (although that might reasonably simply be an alternate route to the laser)
One of the areas in the swamp underground (A chamber with two bonus lines in it) has a panel that I didn't get clear feedback from.

I'm missing three film panels

I never found an area that used the triangle-symbol puzzles. I solved lots of the sample panels, though, and understand the premise!

I only found one panel available on the ship, and I couldn't solve it at the time.

There's a section of the underground - behind the lift the laser goes up on in the Sun Temple, or the left junction when heading from the windmill to the film room - that I've not found my way into. I do note that overhead on the corridor to the film room there appears to be another pathway.

I'd also mention that I sort-of stumbled on the solution to the 'sound' puzzle in the town (in the soundproof room without a speaker); I guessed that you were meant to deduce what the tones might be from what the grid version of the puzzle suggests is a possibility. That may have been incorrect.

Another puzzle I wasn't happy with my answer on was the final puzzle in the flooded room in the sun temple - the long thin grid. I couldn't find an angle to see the left-hand side of it, but it did strike me that there were only a few options at that point. For all I know, that might have been the intention, just to have the user try a couple!

Not sure I can face finding all the bonus lines for total total completion, but we'll see. It'd be nice to complete at least one black column

I seem to remember Blow mentioned that there was one puzzle he wasn't sure if anyone would get. Has he since said which puzzle that is?

+61
, game finished. I'd estimate around 15 hours, unless there's an accurate clock somewhere. Certainly not as long as some people were expecting for base completion, although don't take that to mean I feel cheated; I've absolutely got my money's worth.

You probably didn't see the 1% puzzle yet, but it might have been the shipwreck too cause that was balls hard; no definite answer.

The sound puzzle in town has many solutions, the two panels just need to be the same.

Definitely get all the obelisk lines, some of the later ones are amazing: the obelisks also point toward the general direction of it, in case you need it. There's still a lot to the game if you're going for everything!

Just finished the game.

What the actual fuck?! Everything is lost now? All I've done? I had +50 puzzles!

Reload your elevator save, turn around and down

danthefan

The broken
cable
. You know the one. Do I have to
go back down
to solve this or is the solution in that room? Not a clue what to do.

best thing I've ever experienced in a game took place this morning

just the way it worked, you cannot finish the puzzle until the right time and while you wait for what felt like an hour doubting if you have it right

waiting, listening, a strange tale of easter eggs and secret codes, wow

just fucking "Awesome"

SPOILER
4th Video puzzle

Yeah I'd figured that, cheers. I've photos of the three other
lift
solutions here I'm trying to spot a pattern in but no luck thus far.

You won't
find the real answers in the lift, just more understanding of the question.
This was my favorite puzzle of the whole game so far.

Nzyme32

Yeah I'd figured that, cheers. I've photos of the three other
lift
solutions here I'm trying to spot a pattern in but no luck thus far.

You need to understand the mechanic better. It isn't about
patterns. It just so happens that in reality viewing colours through filters will cause them to appear differently. Use what you have learnt from the different floors and the colour changes to determine what would happen based on the changes of what would happen on the floor above. What do same colours as room lighting appear as? What colour mimics room lighting? Etc etc

BeeDog

Some end-game questions regarding some puzzles...:

When you are at the bottom of the mountain, if you look up while in the Portal-like chamber you can see environmental lines on those energy bridges you build (purple, blue and yellow). How are you supposed to draw these lines? The blue one is straightforward, but the other ones are definitely not. My only guess is that you (1) remove the yellow bridge completely so you can draw the purple one, and (2) remove the blue bridge and redraw the yellow one so it has an exit point. I assume this requires opening the shortcuts in the caves so you can run back and forth between the top and bottom of the mountain. Am I overthinking this one?

Some end-game questions regarding some puzzles...:

When you are at the bottom of the mountain, if you look up while in the Portal-like chamber you can see environmental lines on those energy bridges you build (purple, blue and yellow). How are you supposed to draw these lines? The blue one is straightforward, but the other ones are definitely not. My only guess is that you (1) remove the yellow bridge completely so you can draw the purple one, and (2) remove the blue bridge and redraw the yellow one so it has an exit point. I assume this requires opening the shortcuts in the caves so you can run back and forth between the top and bottom of the mountain. Am I overthinking this one?

You're right for the yellow, and I did it without the shortcuts, but you can draw the purple from the second floor.

Vexidus

Anyone who enjoys watching LPs I highly recommend this one by Day9. He is really observant about design choices made and points out very subtle things I never even noticed, about how smartly the world is laid out. Made me appreciate the world way more. It's really fascinating watching him solve puzzles too, and seeing how he arrives at his understanding of mechanics. He wanders into some higher level puzzles in the
town
early on and actually makes profess without ever seeing tutorials for the tetris blocks. His enthusiasm for the game is quite infectious.

He has a large following and his videos sold tens of thousands of copies of the game I'm sure.

http://youtu.be/GdEsYM09PbY

Mindlog

My current end game stats:
500 + 40 (this space left intentionally blank)
Post End-Game question:
Are the puzzles in the mountain doing anything? (Y/N) In particular the four floor puzzles. I solved them easily enough, but they have multiple exits. That usually carries a certain implication. The music box puzzle is hilarious. Made it to the tomb/alter whatever room after a few tries, but so many pillars. If the pillars can also be randomly wrong I may be boned.

Anyone who enjoys watching LPs I highly recommend this one by Day9. He is really observant about design chooses made and points out very subtle things I never even noticed, about how smartly the world is laid out. Made me appreciate the world way more. It's really fascinating watching him solve puzzles too, and seeing how he arrives at his understanding of mechanics. He wanders into some higher level puzzles in the
town
early on and actually makes profess without ever seeing tutorials for the tetris blocks. His enthusiasm for the game is quite infectious.

He has a large following and his videos sold tens of thousands of copies of the game I'm sure.

http://youtu.be/GdEsYM09PbY

I'll check it out, thanks!

Do we know the max # of "+" puzzles? I assume I could go count, but, hoping someone has already.

which?

it goes like this
000+000+0

if you go to each Obelisk
136 or 135 max?

I am at 484+128+3

they get harder to find I have been searching for hours to find a few I am missing on each Obelisk

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm in the sawmill and got up on the ramp. I am now stuck on the puzzles with the weird 3-pointed logo.

I'd rather not get any spoilers because I love exploration but I'm stumped. I figured out the first one and got the second one to activate but have zero idea why it worked.

My question is: Is there a tutorial on another part of the island for that type of puzzle, or is THAT the tutorial?

You need to understand the mechanic better. It isn't about
patterns. It just so happens that in reality viewing colours through filters will cause them to appear differently. Use what you have learnt from the different floors and the colour changes to determine what would happen based on the changes of what would happen on the floor above. What do same colours as room lighting appear as? What colour mimics room lighting? Etc etc

This. I struggled with this puzzle for ages until I looked up in that room.. then it just clicked.

Guys I haven't finished the game but can you have multiple save files? I really want to have some of my friends play it from the beginning when I show it.

I'm 14 hours in and I think I've cleared few areas. The surprise element in the game is seriously the best thing. I've had those holy shit kinda moments when figuring out some of the variables and it's the greatest feeling ever. Just constantly coming back to it, soo good.

BKJest

My current end game stats:
500 + 40 (this space left intentionally blank)
Post End-Game question:
Are the puzzles in the mountain doing anything? (Y/N) In particular the four floor puzzles. I solved them easily enough, but they have multiple exits. That usually carries a certain implication. The music box puzzle is hilarious. Made it to the tomb/alter whatever room after a few tries, but so many pillars. If the pillars can also be randomly wrong I may be boned.
I don't think the puzzles in the cave do anything but I'm not sure.

The maze is random but there may be some information about the route through the maze and the location of the puzzle panels somewhere along the way from the music box to the maze. ;) The music box puzzle almost destroyed me. So many close call I didn't make

Guys I haven't finished the game but can you have multiple save files? I really want to have some of my friends play it from the beginning when I show it.

I'm 14 hours in and I think I've cleared few areas. The surprise element in the game is seriously the best thing. I've had those holy shit kinda moments when figuring out some of the variables and it's the greatest feeling ever. Just constantly coming back to it, soo good.

I think you can just click 'new game' but you could just use a second profile.. it would probably make it easier.

IvanJ

Banned
Plugging along about an hour each day, but doing it clinically - entering an area, and solving the puzzles as they emerge.
I've done very little exploring, and have thus only stumbled upon one audio log.

So my question is: Can I just avoid searching for audio logs, and come back to that once I complete the game? And is there a specific order I need to find them, or can I just listen to them in a random order?

about saves
it seems to auto save at some key puzzles or shortcut doors, I used earlier saves to try risky stuff that I do not want to be looked out on and return to my main save and use that - I have like 5 save points I could load up and use the one with the higher progress is my main - it could get confusing tho

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I've decided to just ask for help;

I'm at that place with bamboo where
I raised something from the ground with several puzzle panels.

They have the little hexagons you need to pass through with your line. The hexagons here are different sizes and I have to pass through them in a certain order. This order has to do with the bird sounds I hear, and I can solve the first few just fine. However, now there are multiple clips of bird sounds playing at the same time, over each-other, which makes it a complete nightmare to listen for the right order. Is this supposed to happen? Am I missing something? Is this a glitch?

There's one type of puzzle the game should have had more of (post endgame spoilers)
The triangle puzzles that are essentially Slitherlink. It's a shame that you don't see very often some well constructed ones. This hit me during the challenge.

Wok

Alright, I have finished the game this morning
(with 418 + 41 puzzles solved)
, so this is the first time I dare consider reading the OP and maybe some posts in this thread.

I am going to post a few pics of the things I am stuck on. I wonder whether I should/would ask for hints... or try harder, as I did for previous puzzles. It is not really spoilery since these are puzzles which are very easy to spot, so if you have finished the game already, I am sure you have encountered them on your path. Here they are:

skynidas

Banned
Alright, I've decided to just ask for help;

I'm at that place with bamboo where
I raised something from the ground with several puzzle panels.

They have the little hexagons you need to pass through with your line. The hexagons here are different sizes and I have to pass through them in a certain order. This order has to do with the bird sounds I hear, and I can solve the first few just fine. However, now there are multiple clips of bird sounds playing at the same time, over each-other, which makes it a complete nightmare to listen for the right order. Is this supposed to happen? Am I missing something? Is this a glitch?

that's supposed to happen

iMax

I love that feeling when you get stuck on an impossible puzzle and realise that this entire time you've been looking at it completely wrong.

BKJest

Alright, I have finished the game this morning
(with 418 + 41 puzzles solved)
, so this is the first time I dare consider reading the OP and maybe some posts in this thread.

I am going to post a few pics of the things I am stuck on. I wonder whether I should/would ask for hints... or try harder, as I did for previous puzzles. It is not really spoilery since these are puzzles which are very easy to spot, so if you have finished the game already, I am sure you have encountered them on your path. Here they are:
Very mild hint:
For some of those puzzles: Someimes it helps to take a step back and think about it again.

Wok

There's one type of puzzle the game should have had more of (post endgame spoilers)
The triangle puzzles that are essentially Slitherlink. It's a shame that you don't see very often some well constructed ones. This hit me during the challenge.

Are you talking about the orange ones? If so, I have solved them, but never figured out the rule. Otherwise, I have yet to encounter one of these puzzles, I cannot remember encountering one with this kind of rule...

Very mild hint

Thank you. This is the kind of approach which I have tried to follow. I am going to try again and harder.

Liamc723

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to finish this game. I simply cannot get past the
left puzzle of the randomised and timed board.

Mindlog

I don't think the puzzles in the cave do anything but I'm not sure.

The maze is random but there may be some information about the route through the maze and the location of the puzzle panels somewhere along the way from the music box to the maze. ;) The music box puzzle almost destroyed me. So many close call I didn't make
(more post-end game spoilers/avoid if you don't have the platinum)
I figured out the path pretty quick, but remembering where the panels themselves are is in my head. It's never in the direction I expect it to be. Trying to get to the last chamber with as much time as possible. Furthest progress so far is solving one pillar and that run was before I figured out the path in the previous room was tied to the earlier puzzle. Very fun. The music is great.
Are you talking about the orange ones? If so, I have solved them, but never figured out the rule.
I did the same thing. Had to go back to find one and got very lucky it had a particular shape which actually forced me to learn the rule. I would go back and take a look at one if you remember where they are. Try failing.

Are you talking about the orange ones? If so, I have solved them, but never figured out the rule. Otherwise, I have yet to encounter one of these puzzles, I cannot remember encountering one with this kind of rule...
Yeah, I think I'm talking about these (spoiler for the rules)
the ones with 1 to 3 triangles in a square. The number of triangles indicates the number of sides that must be covered by a line, which is pretty much Slitherlink.

There are more of them in an optional area.

Oh man, you're so close. I'm glad you listened to my advice and read the first tag.

Still can't solve the third hedge maze. Still don't want help though, but I'm going to share my thought process with you to show how ridiculously I'm overthinking this one. If I'm completely off-track you can maybe say so.

So the first maze, you just draw the only path you can walk through the maze. The second maze you can walk several ways but you can see on the ground the remains of what must have been walls in the maze once. Count those in as walls and there is just one way to walk through the maze. Easy solution. Now, for the third maze I was looking for some similar visual clues. There were no obvious ones, so I started seeing things that weren't there. I noticed that the cobbling next to the hedges at the ground varied in width. I tried using that information, but there was no way to make one unique path from it. The theory was once and truly killed once I went back to the first maze and saw there was something similar there, but that it had no relation to the solution. What I thought I had seen was just coincidental and had nothing to do with the puzzle solution. Then I noticed that the shadow of hedges one width wide sort of looked like the small black dots at the beginning of the game, where you had to pass by all of them in a panel to solve it. It was a long shot and of course it didn't work. Then I started looking at small things in the background. Lines in the stone walls surrounding the mazes. Did they mean anything? Could I see something by looking out over the maze from a vantage point? Could the shape of the trees beyond the stone walls be a hint. I had a great view from the stone wall to see outside the castle. Any shapes in this view that could be applied to the maze? I found nothing.

So I concluded that the answer is not in the environment. The only other possibility is that the answer is in the panels, and in the relation between the current panel and the previous one. It would be unfair to throw in something completely new like that out of nowhere. Which is why they did it in the third puzzle. Likely, there is a way to get the solution to the second panel by combining information from the first and second panels. Some kind of superimposition or something. However, it would be impossible to do this without knowing the algorithm. So they gave us another way to solve the second panel, then once we know the solution, we can reverse-engineer the method to get the solution for the second panel from the combination of the information in the first two panels. Then apply this method to get the solution for the third panel from the information in the second and third panel. The hedge maze is then just a red herring.

My other, similar, theory hinges on an observation about the third panel. It looks like there is a diagonal line from bottom left to top right splitting the panel in half, as if the panel has been assembled from two halves. Presumably somehow from the two previous ones. Again, the solution would be derived from a combination, superimposition or transformation of the previous panels onto the third one.

One of the audio logs nearby is a quote from mathematician William Clifford. According to Wikipedia he "introduced what is now termed geometric algebra, a special case of the Clifford algebra named in his honour. The operations of geometric algebra have the effect of mirroring, rotating, translating, and mapping the geometric objects that are being modelled to new positions". That seems to fit my theory.

My theory also fits OrbitalBeard's clue. He asked me if I ever do anything else while playing games. The only answers I could think of were taking notes, eating and listening to music. Of these, I only think the first could be applicable to the puzzle. Taking notes COULD refer to the fact that I need to find the notes of someone previously having solved the puzzle in the game world. But I have searched the environment pretty thoroughly as I described above. I don't think there are any clues in the environment. The other interpretation of his hint is that I should look at the notes I took for the previous two puzzles and use them with the third one. Which fits with my theories. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a solution this way. Maybe I should use some computer software to help, so I can more easily rotate, mirror or superimpose different shapes.

Haha, so, how much am I overthinking this puzzle?

Still can't solve the third hedge maze. Still don't want help though, but I'm going to share my thought process with you to show how ridiculously I'm overthinking this one. If I'm completely off-track you can maybe say so.

So the first maze, you just draw the only path you can walk through the maze. The second maze you can walk several ways but you can see on the ground the remains of what must have been walls in the maze once. Count those in as walls and there is just one way to walk through the maze. Easy solution. Now, for the third maze I was looking for some similar visual clues. There were no obvious ones, so I started seeing things that weren't there. I noticed that the cobbling next to the hedges at the ground varied in width. I tried using that information, but there was no way to make one unique path from it. The theory was once and truly killed once I went back to the first maze and saw there was something similar there, but that it had no relation to the solution. What I thought I had seen was just coincidental and had nothing to do with the puzzle solution. Then I noticed that the shadow of hedges one width wide sort of looked like the small black dots at the beginning of the game, where you had to pass by all of them in a panel to solve it. It was a long shot and of course it didn't work. Then I started looking at small things in the background. Lines in the stone walls surrounding the mazes. Did they mean anything? Could I see something by looking out over the maze from a vantage point? Could the shape of the trees beyond the stone walls be a hint. I had a great view from the stone wall to see outside the castle. Any shapes in this view that could be applied to the maze? I found nothing.

So I concluded that the answer is not in the environment. The only other possibility is that the answer is in the panels, and in the relation between the current panel and the previous one. It would be unfair to throw in something completely new like that out of nowhere. Which is why they did it in the third puzzle. Likely, there is a way to get the solution to the second panel by combining information from the first and second panels. Some kind of superimposition or something. However, it would be impossible to do this without knowing the algorithm. So they gave us another way to solve the second panel, then once we know the solution, we can reverse-engineer the method to get the solution for the second panel from the combination of the information in the first two panels. Then apply this method to get the solution for the third panel from the information in the second and third panel. The hedge maze is then just a red herring.

My other, similar, theory hinges on an observation about the third panel. It looks like there is a diagonal line from bottom left to top right splitting the panel in half, as if the panel has been assembled from two halves. Presumably somehow from the two previous ones. Again, the solution would be derived from a combination, superimposition or transformation of the previous panels onto the third one.

One of the audio logs nearby is a quote from mathematician William Clifford. According to Wikipedia he "introduced what is now termed geometric algebra, a special case of the Clifford algebra named in his honour. The operations of geometric algebra have the effect of mirroring, rotating, translating, and mapping the geometric objects that are being modelled to new positions". That seems to fit my theory.

My theory also fits OrbitalBeard's clue. He asked me if I ever do anything else while playing games. The only answers I could think of were taking notes, eating and listening to music. Of these, I only think the first could be applicable to the puzzle. Taking notes COULD refer to the fact that I need to find the notes of someone previously having solved the puzzle in the game world. But I have searched the environment pretty thoroughly as I described above. I don't think there are any clues in the environment. The other interpretation of his hint is that I should look at the notes I took for the previous two puzzles and use them with the third one. Which fits with my theories. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a solution this way. Maybe I should use some computer software to help, so I can more easily rotate, mirror or superimpose different shapes.

Dude, you mean the mazes? Where you walk through and solve the puzzle in the end?

The one after the first one with the gates and the second one with the
grass
?

You are overthinking this like hell.

And I was stuck on it and had to ask for help too. I was overthinking it. So much so that I felt like a big idiot.

Tip 1:

Play the game at its fullest potential, like you would any other game. Sit down. And experience it fully...understand?

Really, you wont get it ever if you don't play this like Johnathan Blow intended.

Tip 2: (this is what someone told me)

You cannot see the path

Tip 3:

Just come back another day. Sounds like things aren't right for you at this moment. There is also another set of puzzles somewhere in the game where you will require the same solution by the way. Except it's more obvious in the other puzzles

Mindlog

You went full Pepe Silvia.
I want to say something about your observations, but I won't. Well, I'll forget later.

Note about your observations. Only click after you figure it out.
The wall remains totally make sense. I solved it without thinking that a wall used to be there.

Hyoukokun

Played through my first time, and I really enjoyed it.

Having said that, from the end-game area, they really need to add some big epilepsy warnings before they get sued. I hate health and safety warnings as much as the next guy, but the
broken-down greenhouse puzzles with strobing colored lights
seem like they are primed to cause a seizure in someone. Unlike the puzzles that are potentially difficult for
hearing impaired or colorblind individuals
these puzzles are required if you want to get to the end of the game.

Going to go back in and try my hand at some of the
plus
puzzles now. I missed most of 'em the first time around.

SilentRob

*snip*

I could give you the solution with one word. So...yes. A LOT :D

I'd advise you to go for another area for now, get your head free and come back later. Maybe even sleep over it. For me, that helped every single time.

I'm not even kidding, every time i was stumped on a puzzle for more than 30 minutes I just ended up quitting the game or going somewhere else on the island...and when I came back to the puzzle the next day I solved it in 1 or 2 tries. It happened so often and was so reliable, it's almost a little scary :D

Thing is with these puzzles: The more you think about them, the more you OVERthink them. You put on theory upon theory upon theory, never even questioning if you're starting point was maybe wrong to begin with. And when you start the game after a good night's sleep, that's exactly what happens. You approach the puzzle from a new point of view and just instinctively try something you never even thought about they day /a few hours before. At least that's how it worked for me.

You went full Pepe Silvia.

Lmao. I constantly imagine this scene when playing this game.

Anyways, I dreaded doing the maze after hearing people complain about it on here.

But it's honestly one of the easiest sections in the game...except I'm stuck on the second set of mazes, at the very end where you do the final puzzle. Working on that now.

epmode

GAF, I kinda want to die whenever I see one of those tetris puzzles combined with anything else.

7 lasers down, only cheated for one puzzle (the last environmental puzzle in the temple because fuck that puzzle).

I wonder how many people are missing the
Environmental puzzles

I just recently figured out the connection with the black pillars. So excited to solve that.

Top Bottom