• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

So, is there anything to starting over after the end game? I still have some panels missing, and a lot of +1s waiting, so I'd rather continue the old save game, unless new game's worth it.

Ok, I have another idea. I'll try it when I get home a few hours from now

Please tell us lol.

You know what: I had to use a whiteboard for that puzzle when I initially encountered it. Marked the
thick borders on the hedges
but they were so wildly inconsistent that it began to frustrate me. Then I tried using that ledge that overlooks the puzzle.

Anyways, it must be quite fun to see how others solve it, Im curious to check out a bunch of Let's Plays.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Got a question about the end-game.

I've got 7 lasers and currently descending into the mountain. Is there any reason not to complete the mountain and get to the end of the game now? Or would it be better to get all 11 lasers first? I plan on getting all of the lasers either way.

danthefan

Wow, I didn't do this... one of us must have got it by luck.
I used the green filter to work out what it would be?

You can
stand in a spot in the first room where the yellow and blue glass line up/combine to make green glass. You can look at one of the solved puzzles through the green and see what goes to black and what goes to white. I had to guess yellow would go to white but that's all.

I'm now in the swamp playing tetris. Have run into one that I just can't solve for now, going to take a break. I understand the rules fine, just having trouble with one particular puzzle.

Alright, I have finished the game this morning
(with 418 + 41 puzzles solved)
, so this is the first time I dare consider reading the OP and maybe some posts in this thread.

I am going to post a few pics of the things I am stuck on. I wonder whether I should/would ask for hints... or try harder, as I did for previous puzzles. It is not really spoilery since these are puzzles which are very easy to spot, so if you have finished the game already, I am sure you have encountered them on your path. Here they are:

• In town: Vague hint:
    You need to do these ones in order.
    Increasingly specific hints:
    You have to open the church door before you can solve the puzzle inside.
    You need to solve a nearby puzzle before you can open the church door.
    You need to open the door to the building next-door before you can solve the church door.
  • Temple(Monastery) Vague hints:
    You can't solve the second 2 from where you're standing.
    Perhaps meditate on the bonsai inside the monastery. Bad advice, see my edit.
  • Treetop area:
    Nudge in the right direction:
    Look for puzzles up there with multiple exit points.
  • No Hint:
    In the boat: I have never seen this puzzle before.
  • No Hint:
    under the desert temple: I'm not exactly sure which puzzle you're referring to.

Edit: I just realized my second bit of advice for the Monastery is incorrect.:
Look behind you.

Nzyme32

Got a question about the end-game.

I've got 7 lasers and currently descending into the mountain. Is there any reason not to complete the mountain and get to the end of the game now? Or would it be better to get all 11 lasers first? I plan on getting all of the lasers either way.

It doesn't matter
if you think this is the way "to complete the mountain and get to the end of the game". There could be more to the game that requires the other lasers, but you can always do it some other time since your progress is saved

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pre-ending question: If you decide to complete the game with less than full completion, can you go back and do the rest later? Does the game create a save for you before the point of no return (if that's even a thing). No spoilers please, just yes/no!

Pre-ending question: If you decide to complete the game with less than full completion, can you go back and do the rest later? Does the game create a save for you before the point of no return (if that's even a thing). No spoilers please, just yes/no!

Yes, the game creates a save that you can reload to continue solving puzzles after "beating" the game.

Catvoca

Banned
I really hate these tetris puzzles. I feel like the tutorial area doesn't explain the mechanics very well, and my brain just doesn't see the patterns it needs to see to solve them. I wouldn't mind too much if they were confined to one area, but puzzles with them in it seem to be all over the island.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
I wonder how many people are missing the
Environmental puzzles

I just recently figured out the connection with the black pillars. So excited to solve that.

What was the first one of these that everyone found? My first one was
on the underside of the elevator in the last room of the desert ruins
. Easily one of the most holy-shit-mindblowing moments in the whole game.

I only know one person who picked up on that concept at the intended tutorial spot on
the mountain, where there's a panel with a puzzle in the shape of the river that's directly behind it, down in the valley.
I had actually done that puzzle already and just never bothered to look behind the panel to see what it was they wanted me to see. Almost everyone I've talked to also just stumbled into those things randomly in the world rather than at that specific spot so I don't feel too bad about missing the lesson.

I wonder how many people are missing the
Environmental puzzles

I just recently figured out the connection with the black pillars. So excited to solve that.
I found a bunch after seeing a hint /spoiler in a review to keep an eye out. Quite pleased with the ones I found, wonder how many I'll miss by the time I'm done...

I only know one person who picked up on that concept at the intended tutorial spot on
the mountain, where there's a panel with a puzzle in the shape of the river that's directly behind it, down in the valley.
I had actually done that puzzle already and just never bothered to look behind the panel to see what it was they wanted me to see. Almost everyone I've talked to also just stumbled into those things randomly in the world rather than at that specific spot so I don't feel too bad about missing the lesson.

The first one I found was the intended one. That was a great Aha! moment.

In the desert ruins there are several. My first was when I was on top of the structure looking down at the "glare" puzzles, behind me I noticed the sun gleaming and making a kind of fire pit/reflection on the floor. A while later and I'd done a few around there

BKJest

My first one was in the bamboo forest which I entered from the mountain side and not throuh the jungle. I was desperately looking for puzzles and looked up in the sky.

Mindlog

(puzzle spoiler related to the above question)
I was wandering around after clearing some of the castle mazes and ended up in the area under the treehouses. I saw a very suspicious shadow shape on the ground and clicked on it for no good reason then OH HOLY CRAP WHAT'S HAPPENING. I started seeing them everywhere after that. The panel on the mountain looked like a very obvious 'last chance'/'only hint' type of puzzle to me and was so heavy handed I laughed.

The first one I noticed and picked up on was one in the
hedge maze. From atop the castle, looking down there is a little pathway and I thought, "Hmm, that looks like a line puzzle, can I click on i- HOLY SHIT!" What a cool thing to learn about 12 hours in. It makes going back to old areas so much fun.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Treehouse question:
All these bridges seem to end in nothing. Just pointlessess. I have solved them all, but I still have to way to get to the door in time.
Am I missing something obivious? I don't want the outright solution, but a small hint would be cool!

EDIT: I'm dumb. I just now realized
you can build the bridges in different directions

So,
video locations:

1: Nearby the starting area.
2: On the shore close to the desert.
3: Next to the garden in the monastery.
4: ???
5: Shipyard.
6: Mountain.

I've checked for number 4 everywhere with no luck. I'm following the order and if monastery is number 3 and shipyard is number 5, number 4 should be somewhere in Junlge, Swamp, Treehouse, Bunker, and maybe Keep or Quarry, but I've checked all those places and the only thing I've found is a closed backdoor in the mountain close to the Swamp, and the closed backdoor in the Windmill tunnel.

Could you spoil the location for me? I want to find that before going to the mountain where I supose is the end game.

+ question

In the monastery, is there only 1 + puzzle related to the yellow lines / fruit? I did one, but another one starts but has no end and I am wondering if I should keep trying

BKJest

So,
video locations:

1: Nearby the starting area.
2: On the shore close to the desert.
3: Next to the garden in the monastery.
4: ???
5: Shipyard.
6: Mountain.

I've checked for number 4 everywhere with no luck. I'm following the order and if monastery is number 3 and shipyard is number 5, number 4 should be somewhere in Junlge, Swamp, Treehouse, Bunker, and maybe Keep or Quarry, but I've checked all those places and the only thing I've found is a closed backdoor in the mountain close to the Swamp, and the closed backdoor in the Windmill tunnel.

Could you spoil the location for me? I want to find that before going to the mountain where I supose is the end game.
Stop looking. You will get it after the final postgame puzzle.

My favourite +1 was [MASSIVE SPOILER]
Make sure you really want to be spoiled.

Seriously.

Location Spoiler:
The tutorial area
Requirement:
Before you open the gate
What is it?:
The sun and the gate.
What happens:
It opens a gateway to a hotel in the sky above the island with credits in audiolog form.

epmode

I noticed
a distinctly unnatural shape on the ground
in the forest near the treehouse area. The lightshow and sound effects surprised me a lot!

Shahadan

My first one was
in the starting area. I got on the roof with the pillow and looked down and was like "funny it looks like a...HOLY SHIT"

+ question

In the monastery, is there only 1 + puzzle related to the yellow lines / fruit? I did one, but another one starts but has no end and I am wondering if I should keep trying

If you can start one, you can finish it.
There aren't really any red herrings in this game.

If I hadn't gotten spoiled on these, I know that my first one would have been
the one formed by the clouds

I think my first one was coming out of the tutorial area.
The clouds lined up with the top of one wall so much and I just stared at it forever with no idea what to do. Then I happened to click it and the sound made me almost scream in joy.

mclem

Resetting sliding door puzzle at the bottom of the mountain.
Ugh.

I quite liked that - as a notion - as one of the final challenges.

The puzzles in question are generally pretty simple, you just need to be fast. Which, at this stage of play, you ought to be. Throwing a speed test into the mix was a nice idea.

roytheone

Mine was the tube under the bridge that connects the shadow forest and the quarry. I actually did saw that the river behind the mountain puzzle was the same shape, but I just never thought about actually trying to draw on it.

I only recently went atop the mountain.

Mine was the one in the
stone/statue factory

From there on,
I found a bunch of them and now I notice it EVERYWHERE.

It's so fun.

JRW

Man Ive been stuck on this one for ...way to long lol: http://i.imgur.com/If70tw7.png

I've been through the 'tutorial' areas for tetris style blocks / white & black dots and have solved a bunch of puzzles with them ..but for some reason can't get this one.

Chris R

I had actually done that puzzle already and just never bothered to look behind the panel to see what it was they wanted me to see. Almost everyone I've talked to also just stumbled into those things randomly in the world rather than at that specific spot so I don't feel tooh bad about missing the lesson.

Well I saw a connection at the tutorial but then
my bad positioning didn't allow the starting point to activate when I tried clicking on it a few times. So my first + was in the quarry. I had just finished the desert laser, walked onto the elevator and saw the train tracks. For a joke I clicked the starting point and it lit up. I hadn't solved the puzzle that would allow me to activate the train track +, but found two others on the roof of the building right there.

I've been looking/hunting for them ever since.

mclem

(The self-quote below is connected to the spoilers)

I had a three-stage process of figuring it out.

The first stage was noticing the bit of yellow machinery not far from the first two tutorial sections (for dots and B/W squares). At that stage I did actually try to activate it, but due to not quite fully understanding the mechanic, it didn't work.

Following this stage I did notice it a few times as a recurring motif, (most notably the window in the village - next to the dock - looking on to the orange shipping crate) but dismissed it as, well, a recurring motif.

The second stage was the river view from the mountain. I did register that the panel looked the same as the river, but I came to the conclusion that activating the panel had made the river flow... for some reason (If you look back through my comments in the thread, you'll see that in there:)

And one other, more spoilery thing relating to that location (second line more explicitly spoilery)

There's a trivial panel there; I noticed quite quickly what that represented, but I used it before seeing the thing it represented, so I'm not sure if using the panel had an effect on the thing.

Was the river flowing before I used that panel?
The third and final stage was the windmill. I'd figured out that the panel inside the windmill controlled the blades; fair enough. But what use are the blades? A quick thought led me to the actual discovery.

Then it got consolidated - big-time - when I climbed the church tower and saw the big black wall there. I may have been giggling when I triggered that one.

roman2k

Well - I think I did something I wasn't supposed to do... (near endgame spoilers)

I got all lasers to go inside the mountain and finished the first floor. I went down the stairs to the second floor but near the entrance I noticed a panel in the background and activated it. Well I didn't know that that would activate the elevator to go downstairs - without me of course. Did I just fuck up or is there any way to get it up again?

(The self-quote below is connected to the spoilers)

I had a three-stage process of figuring it out.

Following this stage I did notice it a few times as a recurring motif, (most notably the window in the village - next to the dock - looking on to orange the shipping crate) but dismissed it as, well, a recurring motif.

I could never get this to work, I have tried all angles but one of the windows is grey instead of orange. I opened the shipping container already How do i do it!

Man Ive been stuck on this one for ...way to long lol: http://i.imgur.com/If70tw7.png

I've been through the 'tutorial' areas for tetris style blocks / white & black dots and have solved a bunch of puzzles with them ..but for some reason can't get this one.

Im stuck on this too.

But Im just looking at it now, and I think I know the solution!

Hint:

The tetris pieces on the same horizontal line wont fit horizontally since the black and white pieces need to be separated. Sooo.... There's only one other way to consider...

Hint 2:

Substitute.

tesqui

So my Steam counter says I'm 47 hours in with 417 +43 solved. I feel like I have the brain of an 80 year old compared to some of you guys with your sub 20hr playthroughs.

mclem

I could never get this to work, I have tried all angles but one of the windows is grey instead of orange. I opened the shipping container already How do i do it!

Spoilers one step at a time...

You're absolutely right.

Second hint...:

There is no angle from which you can see the entire line

Third hint:

Or, to rephrase that, there's no way to stand in one place and see the entire line

Fourth:

But if you weren't staying in one place...

Fifth:

Turn 180 degrees. What do you see?

That should be sufficient.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I found what I'm assuming is the first one in the game, almost immediately. It was genuinely thrilling and surprising, and for a brief second I had the hubristic thought that I might be the only one in the world who had found it. A true genius!

Top Bottom