• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, the
mountain hatch
puzzles are impossible. Well, I've done one, but the others have left me stumped.
Move out of the way, people
, damn!

Not sure how spoiler-y my question is, so if someone who has seen most of what the game has to offer could fill in some gaps for me...

So, I just completed the Quarry section, and did 4 puzzles that were formed on the ground from light through a window or whatever, and little sparkly stuff flew out into a nearby black monolith thingy. Also just checked my save data for the first time and it says 260 panels soved, +4. Is the +4 referring to these environmental puzzles? Do each of those black things have puzzles associated with them?

http://imgur.com/a/yeCDg
(Pic isnt a spoiler)
Gahhh. I went through the entire tree house to learn about the sun shapes.
But not once was there a three sun puzzle, you cant leave one sun alone and you cannot pair a sun with a different color.

Is this even possible? Or do I need something else first?

Thanks!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
(Pic isnt a spoiler)
But not once was there a three sun puzzle, you cant leave one sun alone and you cannot pair a sun with a different color.

Thanks!

Haha, I had exactly your reaction. "This isn't how the game has taught me this works." Still haven't figured it out. :(

(Pic isnt a spoiler)

Thanks!

Haha, I had exactly your reaction. "This isn't how the game has taught me this works." Still haven't figured it out. :(

If you haven't gone through the bunker/greenhouse, go there. If you have:

You have to look at it through a door

nib95

Banned
(Pic isnt a spoiler)

Thanks!

Might look different through different glass. Or pair the red with a purple, not sure.

Anyone help with this one?

http://i.imgur.com/6q68hNo.jpg

Its nearly impossible! Just hint if you can.

May be too much, so click at discretion.

Your assumptions regarding squares probably are:
1. Different colored squares can't be on the same section
2. Same colored squares need to be together.

Rethink one of those.

Ah. I have been through there. Damn you game, mixing different concepts and junk!

I actually forgot that one was stars when trying to solve it again before, haha

Mifune

Mehmber
So my Steam counter says I'm 47 hours in with 417 +43 solved. I feel like I have the brain of an 80 year old compared to some of you guys with your sub 20hr playthroughs.

Or maybe you're not reading hints like some of the sub-20 have undoubtedly done.

I haven't read a single hint and the game is taking me FOREVER. I don't mind though.

Need some help here at what I think is towards the very end of the game:

I'm at the very bottom of the mountain. I finished the four panels on the floor and activated the giant symmetry puzzle. I understand that I have to use the tetris pieces that I picked out. I've been rearranging these pieces for like an hour and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to arrange them symmetrically. Is it possible to solve the previous puzzle differently so that you can use a different set of tetris pieces? As usual, I'm not sure if I'm just not seeing the solution or if I'm missing a larger concept.

Figures...the type of puzzle that I have had the most trouble with through the game seems to be the last one I face. This game is evil as fuck. I cannot wait to finish this thing.

May be too much, so click at discretion.

Your assumptions regarding squares probably are:
1. Different colored squares can't be on the same section
2. Same colored squares need to be together.

Rethink one of those.

I actually forgot that one was stars when trying to solve it again before, haha

What the hell is that rule! Lol got it but I'm confused...

I'm at the very bottom of the mountain. I finished the four panels on the floor and activated the giant symmetry puzzle. I understand that I have to use the tetris pieces that I picked out. I've been rearranging these pieces for like an hour and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to arrange them symmetrically. Is it possible to solve the previous puzzle differently so that you can use a different set of tetris pieces? As usual, I'm not sure if I'm just not seeing the solution or if I'm missing a larger concept.

You have to work with what you have.

Extra hint:
You need an odd number of squares.

Mindlog

Figures...the type of puzzle that I have had the most trouble with through the game seems to be the last one I face. This game is evil as fuck. I cannot wait to finish this thing.
You understand the concepts.
Level 1: Use your understanding and focus.
Level 2:
Use your understanding and focus to eliminate possibilities.
Level 3:
I figured out the puzzle with brute force and not by actually fitting the pieces together. However, upon solving the puzzle I instantly saw how they fit together.

There are higher level spoilers, but that should be fine.

Thanks again for the tips folks. I actually haven't even looked at them yet but I will leave a PSA: If you are having trouble and are stuck...sometimes just writing out your concern and explanation of the puzzles can be enough to trick your brain into thinking about it differently. Right after I posted that question above I decided to try something and it worked...still haven't solved the puzzle but you know the feeling of getting one more step there. It invigorates you and gets you going again.

Wok

Alright, I have finished the game this morning
(with 418 + 41 puzzles solved)
, so this is the first time I dare consider reading the OP and maybe some posts in this thread.

I am going to post a few pics of the things I am stuck on. I wonder whether I should/would ask for hints... or try harder, as I did for previous puzzles. It is not really spoilery since these are puzzles which are very easy to spot, so if you have finished the game already, I am sure you have encountered them on your path. Here they are:

Very mild hint:
For some of those puzzles: Someimes it helps to take a step back and think about it again.

Thank you. This is the kind of approach which I have tried to follow. I am going to try again and harder.

I have tried my best and could not make use of this hint somehow.

The match looked perfect for
the temple
. I am so mad now.

Check how good it looked on the picture:

Only thing I did was
the desert

• In town: Vague hint:
    You need to do these ones in order.
    Increasingly specific hints:
    You have to open the church door before you can solve the puzzle inside.
    You need to solve a nearby puzzle before you can open the church door.
    You need to open the door to the building next-door before you can solve the church door.
  • Temple(Monastery) Vague hints:
    You can't solve the second 2 from where you're standing.
    Perhaps meditate on the bonsai inside the monastery. Bad advice, see my edit.
  • Treetop area:
    Nudge in the right direction:
    Look for puzzles up there with multiple exit points.
  • No Hint:
    In the boat: I have never seen this puzzle before.
  • No Hint:
    under the desert temple: I'm not exactly sure which puzzle you're referring to.

Edit: I just realized my second bit of advice for the Monastery is incorrect.:
Look behind you.

Gotta read this.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Question about the hollow blue squares.

At first I thought that the position of the blue squares mattered, because this solution to a tutorial panel fails (first image). But the solution to a later panel (second image) works. Why?

Question about the hollow blue squares.

At first I thought that the position of the blue squares mattered, because this solution to a tutorial panel fails (first image). But the solution to a later panel (second image) works. Why?

Switch the two bottom pieces around and then 1 and 4 change to the middle.

I have tried my best and could not make use of this hint somehow.

The match looked perfect for
the temple
. I am so mad now.

Check how good it looked on the picture:

Only thing I did was
the desert

To add to the hint above
That configuration doesn't
separate the squares

DieH@rd

Banned
I activated the laser in Marsh/Swamp area [was not easy :D], but I can't seem to find a way to return back to the rest of the island. Can anyone give me a hint how to return? I'm stuck!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So I finished the game.
I finished all lasers, the final area, entered the elevator. Then the game transported me back to the beginning.

I honestly don't know how I feel. This can't be all, right? Should I "start a new game", as it says now? Or load my last save? I really am not sure if I want to redo all the puzzles I solved at this point.

I feel weirdly disappointed.

louiedog

Just wasted 5 minutes being very confused with a [greenhouse spoiler]
color filter puzzle
because I didn't realize my phone rotated the picture.

So I finished the game.
I finished all lasers, the final area, entered the elevator. Then the game transported me back to the beginning.

I honestly don't know how I feel. This can't be all, right? Should I "start a new game", as it says now? Or load my last save? I really am not sure if I want to redo all the puzzles I solved at this point.

I feel weirdly disappointed.

Load your last save; did you solve the triangle puzzle the guy was holding near the final room? If not, there's a lot more.

So I'm in the town and I just accidentally solved something

I guessed that having them in the same segment would make it work, and it did. Without spoilers, will I find the symbol and find out what its rules are somewhere? https://i.gyazo.com/b3dda7dae25bc5a336f9fb0b96ef3fb7.jpg

Quarry

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Load your last save; did you solve the triangle puzzle the guy was holding near the final room? If not, there's a lot more.

Quarry

What? No, I didn't. Wah.

checked, it's not powered on

What? No, I didn't. Wah.

Pay close attention as you leave and you will find the other end of that cable, and how to turn it on.

I activated the laser in Marsh/Swamp area [was not easy :D], but I can't seem to find a way to return back to the rest of the island. Can anyone give me a hint how to return? I'm stuck!

Two ways:

Look around the laser area for a path.

Reconfigure the cages to let you walk right out.

Fhtagn

355 +23 and I think I should probably leave the game alone for a bit.

I've activated
7 lasers
but at this point I have nothing but dead ends:

Two perspective puzzles, my least favorite in the game. The right trigger should be a slow move to compliment the left being run; a lot of these puzzles are way too precise for how movement is tuned, IMHO.

One
sound
puzzle where I cannot figure out what the right answer could even be at this point.

And I'm stuck as hell on the third platform maze. I cannot figure out the rules and it seems impossible.
does the solution start by clearing the panel to initial state from the third row back? That's all I can figure at this point.

So yeah, good run so far but I've hit a wall. Maybe there's more panels I haven't found yet. I've done some of the mountain
puzzle on top with the statues
but after getting 2/3rds of it the perspective stuff annoyed me there as well.

Great game but I think I may over doing it.

Edit: oh right! There's a really hard panel in the
shipwreck
that I passed by. I'll peak at that again next session.

Wok

Maybe there are more branches on that tree...

Gotta do it again then! Thanks for the encouragement!

To add to the hint above
That configuration doesn't
separate the squares

True, I am dumb!

• In town: Vague hint:
    You need to do these ones in order.
    Increasingly specific hints:
    You have to open the church door before you can solve the puzzle inside.
    You need to solve a nearby puzzle before you can open the church door.
    You need to open the door to the building next-door before you can solve the church door.
  • Temple(Monastery) Vague hints:
    You can't solve the second 2 from where you're standing.
    Perhaps meditate on the bonsai inside the monastery. Bad advice, see my edit.
  • Treetop area:
    Nudge in the right direction:
    Look for puzzles up there with multiple exit points.
  • No Hint:
    In the boat: I have never seen this puzzle before.
  • No Hint:
    under the desert temple: I'm not exactly sure which puzzle you're referring to.

Edit: I just realized my second bit of advice for the Monastery is incorrect.:
Look behind you.

Regarding Town, this is what I thought and did. Actually,
I solved the puzzles in the next building up to the 2 puzzles upstairs, but I don't know what solving them unlocked. I am going to look for what it did.

Regarding Temple, this is what I have been trying all the time. I have to try harder!

Regarding Tree Top,
yeah, I noticed other connections but did not manage to understand where the other part of the connection was hiding. Going to try this way! Thanks!

Regarding Desert, I was just spending a lot of time looking for
the right perspective in the level with a lock to have more or less water, hence different reflections.
I did it.

So my Steam counter says I'm 47 hours in with 417 +43 solved. I feel like I have the brain of an 80 year old compared to some of you guys with your sub 20hr playthroughs.

I have a similar counter and I am 41 hours in. I finished the game in 35 hours.

I have only started asking questions to other people now.

So far, your hints have been pretty good. Thanks! All the hints are encouraging me to try harder, I was on the right tracks!

Oh shit. So I solved it correctly using the wrong thought process.

Yeah, those squares are pretty trick. I had to stop the swamp and do another area.

What? No, I didn't. Wah.

Then, yup, there's more to the game :D

Can I get a good hint for this one on the end of the quarry? I'm playing the game again and this is the only one giving me a lot of trouble this second time around, haha.
http://i.imgur.com/vXHhEAn.jpg

In the desert ruins there are several. My first was when I was on top of the structure looking down at the "glare" puzzles, behind me I noticed the sun gleaming and making a kind of fire pit/reflection on the floor. A while later and I'd done a few around there

Yeah, this was how I found them too. I was very frustrated with the desert ruins puzzles, and couldn't figure out how they worked, so I just looked around the environment for anything. Funny thing was, once I found these particular puzzles and realised how they were dependent on sunlight hitting them from the right direction, and the role of perspective, that's what helped me figure out the desert ruins panels. So the environmental puzzles actually helped me to solve some of the panel puzzles.

Or maybe you're not reading hints like some of the sub-20 have undoubtedly done.

I haven't read a single hint and the game is taking me FOREVER. I don't mind though.
Yeah if people are getting platinum that fast they're just moving through the IGN guide or something. Some of this stuff just takes time no matter how intelligent you are.

Their loss!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Pay close attention as you leave and you will find the other end of that cable, and how to turn it on.

but but it only leads
up into the ceiling lol

edit oh i think i found it again. ohhh.

edit edit well fuck me. this game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If you haven't gone through the bunker/greenhouse, go there. If you have:

You have to look at it through a door

This is the door in question
, yes? Well, I can't solve this one either! I think it must be something close to my image, but alas, the top area is one square too small. :(

EDIT: Did it. Posting on GAF is like a a magical solution trigger for me, lol.

I'm sure this has probably been answered at some point in this thread but
what do the yellow triangles indicate? Every single one of those little panels in each area I've tried seem to complete regardless of what I input. I initially thought it had something to do with having to go past the blocks with the triangles on them but I still don't get it. I know the challenge will have some of them in the randomly generated puzzles and I want to be prepared.

302 +27. Going to the top of the mountain soon to see what happens but I wandered back to the
shipwreck
to see if I can figure out what I assume is the first puzzle.

...and yeah, still can't. I think I know what its deal is now, but I'm still confounded. Coming Back To It Later.

This is the door in question
, yes? Well, I can't solve this one either! I think it must be something close to my image, but alas, the top area is one square too small. :(

If you need a hint:
The two middle stars end in the same section as the 5 tetris pieces

Delete a tetris piece.

Yeah, I remember deleting the horizontal one since it can't exist without covering the other piece, but I'm not being able to, haha. Will take a break on it.
E: nevermind, I'm stupid.

I'm sure this has probably been answered at some point in this thread but
what do the yellow triangles indicate? Every single one of those little panels in each area I've tried seem to complete regardless of what I input. I initially thought it had something to do with having to go past the blocks with the triangles on them but I still don't get it. I know the challenge will have some of them in the randomly generated puzzles and I want to be prepared.

You're on the right track. You can figure out the rule more clearly if you input some wrong solutions into the panels.

You will be tested to show that you understand these before you can enter the challenge.

thefil

Oof. 21 hours, 11 lasers, 423 solved +38.

Currently staring down the ship puzzle. I think I know how it vaguely works (
invisible double lines, need to math three sounds - two drops, one long creak
) but all of the solutions that seem like they could satisfy it that I've tried so far have been far off. I've really struggled with
distinguishing the sounds
throughout the game, so this one seems pretty impenetrable.

Only briefly worked on the beach door before walking away. In seems like I'll definitely have to understand some new aspect of the
tetris
rules to get anywhere, or it has something
invisible
like the ship puzzle.

I'm also convinced after 2 hours that one of the light puzzles in the village (the ones that seem
unconnected to anything
) is pretty much impossible... but I was trying without access to pad and paper, so I'm hoping I made a mistake.

Favourite part of my last play sessions was easily getting + puzzles in the gardens area. I won't spoil it, but there are a few that feel like they should have been main puzzles for how they challenge your assumptions.

gschmidl

This is from a few pages back, but

Major post-endgame plot spoilers, including the
secret ending
:

Unfortunately, the poster with "Project TR" (TRanquility?) on it is too blurry to read in any frame it seems (boo on Blow for using such a bad camera!), but I assume that's the codename "in universe" for the island simulation.

It's actually from the Infocom game Trinity.

Neoweee

The game is for the most part not unreasonable, if you're willing to jump around. There's no reason to ever get stuck on a puzzle, because you can go somewhere else to do puzzles and learn more.

Throwing yourself against a puzzle is the biggest way to needlessly waste time.

Alright, I'm officially stuck. This is the last puzzle I have to do to have
all the lasers completed
and I'm totally stumped! I need a bit of a hint.

Link to image

I can't really grasp the logic. Obviously the top half of the puzzle is following the shadow but I don't get what to do with the bottom half. I thought about considering if the panel had been moved like some of the puzzles in the orange-leaf forest, but then the top shadows wouldn't align so that doesn't really make sense.

Wok

Alright, I'm official stuck. This is the last puzzle I have to do to have
all the lasers completed
and I'm totally stumped! I need a bit of a hint.

Link to image

I can't really grasp the logic. Obviously the top half of the puzzle is following the shadow but I don't get what to do with the bottom half. I thought about considering if the panel had been moved like some of the puzzles in the orange-leaf forest, but then the top shadows wouldn't align so that doesn't really make sense.

First hint:
Think about what you just did downstairs.
Or am I misrembering?

Second hint:
The solution is non-local. You will need to do other stuff before.

Top Bottom