• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Fhtagn

Alright, I'm official stuck. This is the last puzzle I have to do to have
all the lasers completed
and I'm totally stumped! I need a bit of a hint.

Link to image

I can't really grasp the logic. Obviously the top half of the puzzle is following the shadow but I don't get what to do with the bottom half. I thought about considering if the panel had been moved like some of the puzzles in the orange-leaf forest, but then the top shadows wouldn't align so that doesn't really make sense.

Trying to figure out how to give a hint that doesn't just give it away....

Remember the desert?

Mindlog

Just wasted 5 minutes being very confused with a [greenhouse spoiler]
color filter puzzle
because I didn't realize my phone rotated the picture.
I don't want to be mean or nothing. Just wanted to thank you for the good laugh. It happens. I turned had to mess with my screen lock and idle timer on more than one occasion.

Post-end game spoiler.
I felt really dumb when I found out I you always start as white in the symmetry challenge puzzle. Duh. Got to the second pillar last try.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Either I'm the dumbest person ever, or this cannot be done.
I can't separate all the groups at once. I know there are really just three groups (color filtering), but still. Nope.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Don't forget these are stars.

Lol. I completely did! Thanks. There are just so many rules to keep track of, and colors, and all the other stuff, and *head explodes*.

EDIT: But actually, what was even the point of opening that door? Can get in there anyway.

thefil

Just re-watched the release date trailer. I've finished all lasers, and realized two things:

+ almost every solution shown is wrong or incomplete
+ there are 5 places shown that I'm confident I haven't seen

Love this game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes,
it doesn't have its "own" mechanic, so you need to be trained everywhere else.

The problem is that I don't even know what areas I haven't done yet, lol. And some don't even seem "solvable". For example,
I've seemingly done everything in the purple forest, but it just ended in nothing. A room with some medical drawings and shit. Guess I just don't get it.

Not sure how spoiler-y my question is, so if someone who has seen most of what the game has to offer could fill in some gaps for me...

So, I just completed the Quarry section, and did 4 puzzles that were formed on the ground from light through a window or whatever, and little sparkly stuff flew out into a nearby black monolith thingy. Also just checked my save data for the first time and it says 260 panels soved, +4. Is the +4 referring to these environmental puzzles? Do each of those black things have puzzles associated with them?

Anyone?

Neoweee

The problem is that I don't even know what areas I haven't done yet, lol. And some don't even seem "solvable". For example,
I've seemingly done everything in the purple forest, but it just ended in nothing. A room with some medical drawings and shit. Guess I just don't get it.

Yeah, there's some weird, go-nowhere shit. Just keeping looking around for panels that
seem like they are trying to teach you, rather than than bust your balls with shit that seems impossible.

Yes.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Just re-watched the release date trailer. I've finished all lasers, and realized two things:

+ almost every solution shown is wrong or incomplete
+ there are 5 places shown that I'm confident I haven't seen

Love this game.

that music though.

I love how I love the actual place, the island. The team did an amazing job bringing it to life, and putting so many distinguishible, clearly different areas on such a small space, while keeping it feeling big and still familiar after you got to know it, and also filling it to the brim with pathways, easter eggs, amazing visuals, small hidden places and so on.

My sister came in as I'm staring blankly at the
shipwreck
puzzle. I explained what I think it is (assuming
invisible mirrored line, low/mid/high sound, and keeping the colors grouped together?)
. She busted out laminated graph paper and colored dry erase markers. I guess it's on now.

The Witness: Bringing People Together In Frustration

thefil

Can someone help me validate my reasoning with this puzzle in the village coloured light room?

If I'm correct, then from top left to bottom right, this is how the stars are "coloured":

A A C D
B A C C
D D B A
C D B B

If this is correct I see no way of solving it, but I also see no way this can't be correct.

*edit*

Writing out the letters in that form and I think I got it lol

*edit2*

Nope

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
My sister wandered in as I'm staring blankly at the
shipwreck
puzzle. I explained what I think it is (assuming
invisible mirrored line, low/mid/high sound, and keeping the colors grouped together?)
. She busted out laminated graph paper and colored dry erase markers. I guess it's on now.

The Witness: Bringing People Together In Frustration

Thats exactly what I did at that puzzle lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This shit. I've done one, but the others seem just about impossible. Don't give me the solution, but is it just about finding the correct angle, or am I missing something and banging my head against something I cannot do?

Phew, got that last trophy, that was a bit harder than the rest of the game.

The randomness makes it pretty luck based, if you run into one bad puzzle, you're pretty screwed.

This shit. I've done one, but the others seem just about impossible. Don't give me the solution, but is it just about finding the correct angle, or am I missing something and banging my head against something I cannot do?

Nothing is missing - you can find the correct angle for the others.

Ended up looking it up and have no idea why it worked.

It worked because
you just need to block off the white squares.

Finished (well, "finished") the game with 427+32, deliberately avoiding this thread except for a couple of minimal hints. I feel pretty happy that my two brain cells are still rubbing against each other. I still need to do the
shipwreck
area, all the other lasers are active.

I tried to think whether I liked this or The Talos Principle more, but it's practically impossible to rank them. Talos was a more emotionally intensive experience for me and I was thoroughly immersed in the story and setting, but The Witness delivered a lot of incredible mindblown.gif moments. I didn't expect two puzzle games to be on my GOTY lists.

The + puzzles are awesome. The first one for me was
in the town, looking down from the church tower
, but the second one,
the path from the starting courtyard
literally dropped my jaw.

Can someone help me validate my reasoning with this puzzle in the village coloured light room?

If I'm correct, then from top left to bottom right, this is how the stars are "coloured":

A A C D
B A C C
D D B A
C D B B

If this is correct I see no way of solving it, but I also see no way this can't be correct.

*edit*

*edit2*

Nope

What I did:
Map out both puzzles on paper. For each colour of light, I put a 1 or 0, depending on if it appears light or dark. You'll end up with colours represented by a number.

Edit:
Seems like your colour scheme matches mine.

Mindlog

A A C D
B A C C
D D B A
C D B B

*edit*

*edit2*

Nope
You are correct on that point.
Since you have done the hard part this is what I created with the same information. It's not a spoiler for the stage you are at in the puzzle. (puzzle spoiler/don't click if you are not at this stage of the puzzle. link)

thefil

You are correct on that point.
Since you have done the hard part this is what I created with the same information. It's not a spoiler for the stage you are at in the puzzle. (puzzle spoiler/don't click if you are not at this stage of the puzzle. link)

It seems like I have done the easy part. Have no idea how it is possible to pair the stars from there. :(

GhaleonEB

Question about the wreaked ship.

I treated the puzzle at the bottom level as if it were a standard dual-line puzzle, and solved it so each line cleared one color and treated the other black dots as neutral. I've done it both ways, with my starting point at the top and lower corners, to no avail.

General questions: are the different dot sizes significant? I think I have an idea what to do if so.

Are is the fact that my line is a different color than either of the dots significant? I have no idea if that's the case. :lol

This is where I'm at in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

can somebody explain to me the principle behind the "ventilator fan" symbol puzzles, I am almost done with their tutorial and still don't get it, sometimes I skip some dots and they become either white or red, but these puzzle are not clicking with me.

Mindlog

It seems like I have done the easy part. Have no idea how it is possible to pair the stars from there. :(
Talk/Think/Write it out and the obvious clues will become more obvious.
If you can't think of anything just recite the rules.
What do you have to do to succeed?

"Think. Strategize. Win"
-Jeff Green

I treated the puzzle at the bottom level as if it were a standard dual-line puzzle, and solved it so each line cleared one color and treated the other black dots as neutral. I've done it both ways, with my starting point at the top and lower corners, to no avail.

General questions: are the different dot sizes significant? I think I have an idea what to do if so.

Are is the fact that my line is a different color than either of the dots significant? I have no idea if that's the case. :lol

That puzzle is on the top difficulty tier. I got lucky my own impromptu ruleset eventually matched the solution. Doubly lucky that I did that after thinking about another puzzle I solved with a ruleset I created before actually learning how to do the puzzle.

GlamFM

Banned
can somebody explain to me the principle behind the "ventilator fan" symbol puzzles, I am almost done with their tutorial and still don't get it, sometimes I skip some dots and they become either white or red, but these puzzle are not clicking with me.
The basically cancel one "mistake"

Catvoca

Banned
Just finished my fourth area! Currently at 258 puzzles solved because I've been jumping around a lot. Struggling to go much further mostly because the other areas involve tetris blocks and I really don't like this mechanic.

If you don't immediately recognize the significance of the different dot sizes, you're not ready.

Need some help here at what I think is towards the very end of the game:

I'm at the very bottom of the mountain. I finished the four panels on the floor and activated the giant symmetry puzzle. I understand that I have to use the tetris pieces that I picked out. I've been rearranging these pieces for like an hour and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to arrange them symmetrically. Is it possible to solve the previous puzzle differently so that you can use a different set of tetris pieces? As usual, I'm not sure if I'm just not seeing the solution or if I'm missing a larger concept.

Figures...the type of puzzle that I have had the most trouble with through the game seems to be the last one I face. This game is evil as fuck. I cannot wait to finish this thing.

Welp...I'm STILL sitting here trying to figure this one out. It would help if the puzzle in question wasn't at such an odd viewing angle. I don't know what else to ask for that isn't just a straight up solution. It's driving me nuts.
I cannot create a symmetrical shape with an odd number of squares. Even when I have an even number, I cannot arrange the shapes into a symmetrical shape. I'm working with a 4x4, an L shape, and two tiny L shapes. Do I NEED the panels to show the correct shapes to use? I'm not even sure at this point which shapes are considered "in use."

Here's some pictures (but not necessarily accurate to
shape selection
described above

Mindlog

Welp...I'm STILL sitting here trying to figure this one out. It would help if the puzzle in question wasn't at such an odd viewing angle. I don't know what else to ask for that isn't just a straight up solution. It's driving me nuts.
I cannot create a symmetrical shape with an odd number of squares. Even when I have an even number, I cannot arrange the shapes into a symmetrical shape. I'm working with a 4x4, an L shape, and two tiny L shapes. Do I NEED the panels to show the correct shapes to use? I'm not even sure at this point which shapes are considered "in use."

Here's some pictures (but not necessarily accurate to
shape selection
described above
Ask your self why to everything you just said and for giggles try doing it anyway disregarding if it is a correct solution.

IMO Remembrance gave you one to many hints :p You should be able to figure that out with the previous hints and looking closely at each mini-puzzle.
Actually don't read any hints.
You aren't getting the right answer.
You know the basics of the puzzle.
You know how the puzzle is supposed to be constructed.
You know all the puzzles are solvable.

You know at least one of these is wrong!

The shapes that are "in use" are the ones you drew on the smaller panels.

I'll reiterate that
you must use an odd number of squares.

One more hint:
Don't use the 2x2 square.

Talka

That's my favorite puzzle of the game.

It uses game mechanics from many different areas of the island.

Symmetry.

Jungle.

Bunker.

Endgame spoilers -
ok trying to do the environment puzzles and i have all but 2 for the obelisk near the quarry/ shady trees. anyone have an obelisk guide or can you help with these 2? image linked - http://d.pr/i/DfGw.png it is 2 am and I want to sleep :(

Edit: Damn. just figured em out O_O

Top Bottom