• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Mindlog

That's my favorite puzzle of the game.

It uses game mechanics from many different areas of the island.

Symmetry.

Jungle.

Bunker.
Honestly, I built my answer on one puzzle.
The basement broken speaker puzzle. Technically that is also a symmetry puzzle so that foundation is what I built my answer on.
I'm guessing the solution here has
something to do with the trees and the color of the fruits on them
, but uh, i'm still stuck.

Overthinking it slightly, but not really. That probably doesn't help lol.

Thanks. I'll get it eventually. I appreciate the feedback. My brain is just going a prick. I'll have to go for a walk and shake it off before cracking at it again.

I've been stumped on pervious puzzles that were much more simple. I'm just being stubborn because I feel like I'm SO CLOSE!!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You know how elements flash red when they're not satisfied? This wants to be paired with one (just one) of those.

But then there's also
somehow a color element to it. There's one puzzle series where one solution works for one panel but doesn't for the next, even though the only difference is the color of the "fan" and the other symbols. That I still don't get.

I beat the regular end game at 25h with about 430+60, cheating on one sound puzzle panel (no regrets), and taking a hint for one of the
distorted panels in the big empty room inside the mountain.

Didn't care for much of the distortion stuff, but the connected panels that redrawing so you need to solve several at once was mind blowingly great, and the tetris meta tetris puzzle right before leaving the mountain. Nice work, Jonathan.

Now I'm at the challenge stuff, there's some pretty tricky panels. I skipped one tetris puzzle that I just couldn't get the solution for, will try again tomorrow.

I certainly don't want this game to end...

But then there's also
somehow a color element to it. There's one puzzle series where one solution works for one panel but doesn't for the next, even though the only difference is the color of the "fan" and the other symbols. That I still don't get.

The fan color
matters only for other symbols of the same color

But then there's also

Just follow the color rules required by the other types of symbols.

Zomba13

What was the first one of these that everyone found? My first one was
on the underside of the elevator in the last room of the desert ruins
. Easily one of the most holy-shit-mindblowing moments in the whole game.

I only know one person who picked up on that concept at the intended tutorial spot on
the mountain, where there's a panel with a puzzle in the shape of the river that's directly behind it, down in the valley.
I had actually done that puzzle already and just never bothered to look behind the panel to see what it was they wanted me to see. Almost everyone I've talked to also just stumbled into those things randomly in the world rather than at that specific spot so I don't feel too bad about missing the lesson.

Mine was
right as I left the first tunnel. I turned around because it wouldn't let me as I was leaving it and I saw the semi-circle bit on the door frame and lined it up and though "That looks like a line thing" but I didn't know you could enter "puzzle mode" outside of a screen at that point. Then I saw the path just outside of the starting area (from up on the ramparts).

The first one I actually activated was the one in the symmetry area where you see the line on the pottery house. I clicked on the circle not expecting anything to happen and it went all "bwwwoooooom" and then I drew the line and my mind was blown. Then I saw the sparkles went to the obelisk and then I went back and got the ones I saw before.

Definitely one of the bigger mind blowing moments in the game and it changes the way you look at the world.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This place. Seems like I have to
draw the path through the big box in the center to solve the panel, but then I can't get across

The fan color
matters only for other symbols of the same color

Just follow the color rules required by the other types of symbols.

Still don't get it. Color means different things for different symbols. What does it mean for this one? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mindlog

Thanks. I'll get it eventually. I appreciate the feedback. My brain is just going a prick. I'll have to go for a walk and shake it off before cracking at it again.

I've been stumped on pervious puzzles that were much more simple. I'm just being stubborn because I feel like I'm SO CLOSE!!
If it helps when I first started that puzzle my thought process was exactly the same as yours. Sometimes it's very hard to disagree with the obvious I guess is the best way to refer to that process.

Got the damn third hedge maze in the end. The funny thing is
I hadn't even listened to music before. I just hadn't been perceptive enough to pick up the changes in the sound of the footsteps.

So a few pages back I described all of the different things I did to try to solve this puzzle. But I forgot about one. The craziest of all. So I went back to the first maze and saw the gates blocking the path off. I figured maybe there had once been gates like these in the third maze that had since been removed. So I started searching the stones on on the ground around the hedges for pits and other marks of a gate that had once stood there. I spent like 20 minutes meticulously going through the textures. God that was a waste of time. Can't believe the solution was that simple.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Got the damn third hedge maze in the end. The funny thing is
I hadn't even listened to music before. I just hadn't been perceptive enough to pick up the changes in the sound of the footsteps.

So a few pages back I described all of the different things I did to try to solve this puzzle. But I forgot about one. The craziest of all. So I went back to the first maze and saw the gates blocking the path off. I figured maybe there had once been gates like these in the third maze that had since been removed. So I started searching the stones on on the ground around the hedges for pits and other marks of a gate that had once stood there. I spent like 20 minutes meticulously going through the textures. God that was a waste of time. Can't believe the solution was that simple.

The real bitch was (don't read if you haven't completed all the mazes)
solving the multi-maze. I took photos of the individual solutions, don't know how anyone could do that from memory. And then solving it did NOTHING: Thanks, game. (Is it a thing where you can solve either one at the top of the tower? I did the other one first, and that activated the laser. Then I did the other, and it did nothing.)

border

What does the little upside down Y symbol on a grid indicate? I've got a 2x2 grid with one on it and I can't even seem to brute force the solution.

solving the multi-maze. I took photos of the individual solutions, don't know how anyone could do that from memory. And then solving it did NOTHING: Thanks, game. (Is it a thing where you can solve either one at the top of the tower? I did the other one first, and that activated the laser. Then I did the other, and it did nothing.)

I did the
mazes before the tiles and it activated the lazer,
so yes. Also the first time I tried
the multimaze from memory I made 1 small error, then went back and made pictures

This place. Seems like I have to
draw the path through the big box in the center to solve the panel, but then I can't get across

Still don't get it. Color means different things for different symbols. What does it mean for this one? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First question:
Look more closely at the big box.

Second question:
What will happen if you group that symbol with another symbol of a non-matching color?

Started it today, feel like I always need to go back once I quit. Got to the part
near the sawmill. It's a mine or whatever and I'm on a platform doing those puzzles with the black hexagons and upside down y and as I look up I see the naked tree has formed a pair of yes with its branches and it's staring at you through the window. Creepy!

Well, just did the fourth hedge maze. That was easy. It is something I thought they would do earlier, so the method that led to the solution was the first one I tested.

sandkiller

Hey guys,

Stated playing this afternoon but had to stop due to migraines and dizziness.

Nevermind that, i made it as far as
the blue and yellow
puzzles... So far I've found the game to be very easy and straightforward so 2 questions:

1 - how far along am I?
2 - when does it start getting challenging?

Thanks!

KDR_11k

441+66 IIRC... First clear after 9 hours (was in the final room at 7 hours but got too annoyed by the pillars since you can't see the whole puzzle at once so I did some other stuff for 2 hours, so far the only notes I took were to visualize puzzles that aren't fully visible on the screen). Didn't they say about 20 hours for the first clear?

I still haven't finished a single obelisk and I feel like that's going to exceed my ability to spot secrets. Solved all the grey panels I've found lying around but no idea if that does anything...

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hey guys,

Stated playing this afternoon but had to stop due to migraines and dizziness.

Nevermind that, i made it as far as
the blue and yellow
puzzles... So far I've found the game to be very easy and straightforward so 2 questions:

1 - how far along am I?
2 - when does it start getting challenging?

Thanks!

You are at the very beginning of the game still.

Easy_G

Quick question:

I'm at 217 +28
Is it okay that I still don't know how to solve any puzzle with Tetris style pieces? It doesn't seem like I've found any tutorial type location for them.

Zomba13

I came soooooooooooo close to completing "The Challenge" very last puzzle and I thought I had it but of course, me being stupid and panicking I didn't check thoroughly and missed something. It was the closest I've gotten :(

Gold_Loot

I have no idea what the game is telling about these orange star puzzles. I've finished moat of the "tutorial" and still clueless.. Any hints?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have no idea what the game is telling about these orange star puzzles. I've finished moat of the "tutorial" and still clueless.. Any hints?

I don't know if this is giving too much away, but:
grouping
. Even more specifically:
pairing

Easy_G

You're in the treehouse area? Take note that the number of stars you enclose is important. Also, stars can be paired with non star shapes. And they're okay mingling with other colors...

BKJest

I came soooooooooooo close to completing "The Challenge" very last puzzle and I thought I had it but of course, me being stupid and panicking I didn't check thoroughly and missed something. It was the closest I've gotten :(
I came very close about 5 times before beating it. The music got louder and more dramatic, I panicked and those stupid rotating pillars didn't make sense anymore. I almost quit because I just regressed after that. Then I took a break and got it immediately after.

I just got the
multi-maz. With all the notes I had from all the overthinking I did before, I got it first try easily. It lit up the laser for me, and I haven't finished the other side yet, so I think you're right that whichever you do first will activate the laser.

Nzyme32

iAKUb8j.png

That took quite a while, but damn proud to have done it all with zero help other than the use of 3 pieces of A4 and a pen!

There is still more to do though!

Catvoca

Banned
Finished my 5th area,
the mazes
. Easily one of my favourites so far, I liked
how it switched up it's mechanics throughout.
. Not sure which areas will be my last 2, maybe
the Quarry
and
the Treetops.
I don't think I'll stop after reaching the ending anyway, I think I'll keep plugging away at the puzzles regardless. I might use the internets help a bit more though, after I've beaten it.

JerkShep

So a couple of things, vague hints would be appreciated if possible without spoiling too much.

Sunken Ship
I'm absolutely TERRIBLE at sound puzzles and there's the simmetry stuff as well, I don't even know where to begin

Under the Windmill
There's a passage higher up that I can't reach and a door I can't open from my side. I think it might be linked to another locked door beyond the elevator at the end of the Desert Temple but I don't how to open that as well

Hexagonal Puzzles
I've found 4 so far: starting area, mountain, jungle, near the desert temple. So two left. I suppose one could be inside the Sunken Ship since it's not a "laser" area but I've no idea where the last one might be. Maybe in the endgame area? I've "opened" the mountain but I've yet to explore it.

Nzyme32

So a couple of things, vague hints would be appreciated if possible without spoiling too much.

Sunken Ship
I'm absolutely TERRIBLE at sound puzzles and there's the simmetry stuff as well, I don't even know where to begin

Under the Windmill
There's a passage higher up that I can't reach and a door I can't open from my side. I think it might be linked to another locked door beyond the elevator at the end of the Desert Temple but I don't how to open that as well

Hexagonal Puzzles
I've found 4 so far: starting area, mountain, jungle, near the desert temple. So two left. I suppose one could be inside the Sunken Ship since it's not a "laser" area but I've no idea where the last one might be. Maybe in the endgame area? I've "opened" the mountain but I've yet to explore it.

edit Sunken ship does need symmetry from an invidible line! The mechanics involved is to do with something you should understand from the bamboo jungle place with pink panels and from the floral place next to the cathedral in the town

The windmill pathways can't be opened till much later on when you have completed all the lasers and some other stuff

You have found all the hexagon stuff that it seems you are able to do. There is no surprise that the ship holds the other. The final one is part of a bigger set of things you can do if you have all the lasers sorted. It is also partially connected to the windmill areas you can't get to.

Sunken Ship

Under the Windmill

Hexagonal Puzzles

First question:
don't even try doing anything until you have definitely matched up sounds to the symbols. Take as long as you need to listen.

Second question:
you won't get in there by looking for the entrance. You'll know it when you see it.

Third question: I actually don't know yet!

Sunken ship didn't need symmetry as far I remember. The mechanic involved is to do with something you should understand from the bamboo jungle place with pink panels and from the floral place next to the cathedral in the town

No, it does need
symmetry

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pls help. This is impossible.

FUCK. Someone help, please. I've looked at this thing from every angle, and there's nothing more I can do. (I've
solved two panels inside the thing
, which seemingly did nothing.)

EDIT: Oh shit, I'm dumb! Didn't realize
I could just walk right through the thing
, even though I was doing it all along.

I did it 40 mins ago, and my solution did not involve that. Unless we are talking about completely different puzzles, this is not the case. Are we talking about the puzzle with
coloured hexagons of different sizes? If we are, the solution definitely doesn't have to be symmetrical. It doesn't even need all the hexagons

You passed through the other hexagons without realizing it with the invisible line from the other side!

Top Bottom