• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Nzyme32

FUCK. Someone help, please. I've looked at this thing from every angle, and there's nothing more I can do. (I've
solved two panels inside the thing
, which seemingly did nothing.)

If you look at the thing in the middle - are all the sides completely covered in glass?

You passed through the other hexagons without realizing it with the invisible line from the other side!

Haha! Now I understand!

roman2k

Well - I think I did something I wasn't supposed to do... (near endgame spoilers)

I got all lasers to go inside the mountain and finished the first floor. I went down the stairs to the second floor but near the entrance I noticed a panel in the background and activated it. Well I didn't know that that would activate the elevator to go downstairs - without me of course. Did I just fuck up or is there any way to get it up again?

Phew....
The elevator did go up as I finished the puzzles.

Thank god for good bug testing.

Stoze

441+66 IIRC... First clear after 9 hours (was in the final room at 7 hours but got too annoyed by the pillars since you can't see the whole puzzle at once so I did some other stuff for 2 hours, so far the only notes I took were to visualize puzzles that aren't fully visible on the screen). Didn't they say about 20 hours for the first clear?

Yeah, for normal people (and for only doing the bare minimum of areas). That puzzle count is absurd for having played 9 hours. If you didn't just use a guide the whole time, then mega props to you! You should go for 100%.

JerkShep

Sunken ship didn't need symmetry as far I remember. The mechanic involved is to do with something you should understand from the bamboo jungle place with pink panels and from the floral place next to the cathedral in the town

The windmill pathways can't be opened till much later on when you have completed all the lasers and some other stuff

You have found all the hexagon stuff that it seems you are able to do. There is no surprise that the ship holds the other. The final one is part of a bigger set of things you can do if you have all the lasers sorted. It is also partially connected to the windmill areas you can't get to.

First question:
don't even try doing anything until you have definitely matched up sounds to the symbols. Take as long as you need to listen.

Second question:
you won't get in there by looking for the entrance. You'll know it when you see it.

Third question: I actually don't know yet!

No, it does need
symmetry

Thanks gentlemen, I'll head for the endgame area for the moment, I need a break from the sound puzzle

Trouble

Banned
Hey guys,

Stated playing this afternoon but had to stop due to migraines and dizziness.

Nevermind that, i made it as far as
the blue and yellow
puzzles... So far I've found the game to be very easy and straightforward so 2 questions:

1 - how far along am I?
2 - when does it start getting challenging?

Thanks!

Pretty soon. Each area starts pretty easy and some get real difficult, a few get incredibly mind-fucky

Nzyme32

Thanks gentlemen, I'll head for the endgame area for the moment, I need a break from the sound puzzle

Just to clarify, I have the first point wrong -
it has an invisible line which is the symmetry you are talking about, but the rest of it needs what you learn from the jungle which informs the hexagon sizes and order

Also remember that you can do stuff you miss again later, since the game gets saved pretty frequently

thefil

I have solved so many puzzles involving
light colours
and I still don't understand it. I feel like the rules change and I apply different techniques from puzzle to puzzle. Now I need to figure out the rules on the ship, because it seems like with only one
red light
it shouldn't affect the separation of the dots...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I made a whole lot of progress today. I finally finished the marsh (hardest area yet), then went back to monastery to stare at the final puzzle some more when I finally noticed
the broken branch on the floor. I was so glad when I found that, since that puzzle stumped me for ages. Returning to some areas after doing other stuff really helps sometimes
. Then I also discovered the
area below the windmill, where I could finally input the beehive patterns I've been finding. Found 3 so far. That candle short film was weird as fuck.

Now doing the treehouse puzzles. I went from 130+ puzzles to about 220 in one day, so I'm pretty happy.

Also, this may be one of the best games I've ever played. I was thinking this already early on, but now that I'm far enough in it feels okay to say it. This is a work of genius. I can't even think of other games right now. The first game to consume me this much since Demon's/Dark Souls and The Swapper.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Question for the garden area
What did I "get" from finishing the apple stuuff :D I still don't know what's up with that small area with the bonsai trees. Is there anything of interest I missed?

Aaaand stuck again. The endgame is a massive practice in frustrastion...

I think I got a slipped disk in my brain from the endgame strain.

Someone recommended the You Doodle app earlier and that was indeed a huge help in a lot of areas, including the end. My iPad camera has never seen so much use.

MattyG

Banned
I have absolutely no idea what the rules for the
red and green puzzles with the white triangle looking thing in the quarry
are supposed to be. I can't find any rule consistency between the first 4 panels in that line and the 5th

KDR_11k

Yeah, for normal people (and for only doing the bare minimum of areas). That puzzle count is absurd for having played 9 hours. If you didn't just use a guide the whole time, then mega props to you! You should go for 100%.

Sorry, that count is now after 14 hours, unfortunately the autosave that I got on that clear has been overwritten by now. The save before that was 330 or so but I think the difference from that to the clear was significant. No guide so far except reading in the forums that you can reload an autosave to avoid losing all your progress after the ending :p.

Is the second achievement on the PC reaching 100%? It's a bit sparse on feedback for how far you are...

I have solved so many puzzles involving
light colours
and I still don't understand it. I feel like the rules change and I apply different techniques from puzzle to puzzle. Now I need to figure out the rules on the ship, because it seems like with only one
red light
it shouldn't affect the separation of the dots...

You can work out all the rules just by
examining the elevator puzzle under pure red, blue, and green light.

However,
the ship is not this type of puzzle.

Is the second achievement on the PC reaching 100%? It's a bit sparse on feedback for how far you are...

It is something else.

I noticed the save file sometimes branches off and creates a copy of itself, why does that happen?

After every 110 puzzle or so, just for convenience.

Question for the garden area
What did I "get" from finishing the apple stuuff :D I still don't know what's up with that small area with the bonsai trees. Is there anything of interest I missed?

You're done there.

Completed the Monastery. Anything to do on the gate that opens on the right side?

It opens from the other side.

BeeDog

are supposed to be. I can't find any rule consistency between the first 4 panels in that line and the 5th

Heavy mechanics spoiler:
The upside down Y's expect you to make one error within the same sectioned-off area.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

I can relate :D Usually when this happens and I'm sure I know all the symbols, I just go back to the start and play around with all puzzles to see if I overlooked a rule. Funnily enough the triangle thing seemed somewhat obvious to me. I think the only thing that I missed first is that
the line position in relation to the triangles matters.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm not even ashamed I cheated in the
sound forrest thing section
for the last 3 puzzles. I knew what I had to do, but this isn't something I'm good at. It's hard to talk around it but...not ashamed.
I think I'm about to finish the game soon-ish.

thefil

You can work out all the rules just by
examining the elevator puzzle under pure red, blue, and green light.

However,
the ship is not this type of puzzle.

What the heck? I thought the
red light
meant I was finally on to something. Well, I quit for now.

I'm not even ashamed I cheated in the
sound forrest thing section
for the last 3 puzzles. I knew what I had to do, but this isn't something I'm good at. It's hard to talk around it but...not ashamed.
I think I'm about to finish the game soon-ish.

I think I just might. It's not clicking for me, and not in a way where I feel like I can figure it out if I keep trying.

Ansatz

After every 110 puzzle or so, just for convenience.

Ah ok, I thought you could control it. I'm at the part when you unlock the 7 lasers and I thought about making a copy just to be safe. Should I need to worry about the game saving past a point of no return?

Trouble

Banned
Finally solved the second part of the
three colored lights
puzzle in town.

I can't tell what, if anything, solving that actually did.

Camper182

This game + The revenant soundtrack via spotify on ps4.

So good, it fits so well sort of. Glad this game didn't have music actually

Yeah, there are a few areas that kind of feel like oversights when it comes to being color blind, epileptic, tone deaf etc.

I think Blow said he will try and fix the color blind stuff.

eot

Banned
I'm listening to the Braid soundtrack, I'd forgotten how good it is. Makes me wish this game had one too.

Neoweee

Yep. This really isn't any fun, it feels like it was designed purely to be annoying.

That's one of around a dozen puzzles/bits in the game that I think are just crap. like, 98% of the game is fantastic, but there are definitely some weak parts.

Yeah, there are a few areas that kind of feel like oversights when it comes to being color blind, epileptic, tone deaf etc.

I think Blow said he will try and fix the color blind stuff.

Epilepsy
Color blindness
Motion sickness
A special prize against anyone that has difficulty moving quickly

This is NOT a puzzle game for anyone with any physical disability or condition.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I know exactly where you are =)

Horrific.

I wish that area was bigger, I flied through it and loved it a lot :D

Since it apparently was an overlook question, early game, what would I get out of the end of the
tree puzzle
area? I don't think there was a
bunker, laser, collectible,
anything :D

Feep

Banned
Post-endgame spoilers:

Well, I beat The Challenge! That was quite difficult. I didn't like the "running around a maze like an idiot looking for two triangle puzzles", which tends to take up anywhere from 30 seconds or 3 minutes, depending on the run, and necessitated numerous restarts. But man, it's not easy. You have to basically nail every puzzle, and even then, I only finished the final column puzzle with seconds to spare.

I'll finish out the last remaining puzzles in the underground area, but that's it. I rather enjoyed the GDC video...the only element of the entire game's narrative that I didn't roll my eyes at. It's clear it influenced Mr. Blow quite a bit.

Finally, uh...people kept talking about this "major spoiler" when reviews came out. I don't believe I ever ran into anything that could possibly qualify. What the hell were they all talking about?

Hey, I've just finished the game, should I start again to get new puzzles? or should I go to my last save to find more?
Haven't got the final video puzzle yet.

Well, I beat The Challenge! That was quite difficult. I didn't like the "running around a maze like an idiot looking for two triangle puzzles", which tends to take up anywhere from 30 seconds or 3 minutes, depending on the run, and necessitated numerous restarts. But man, it's not easy. You have to basically nail every puzzle, and even then, I only finished the final column puzzle with seconds to spare.

I'll finish out the last remaining puzzles in the underground area, but that's it. I rather enjoyed the GDC video...the only element of the entire game's narrative that I didn't roll my eyes at. It's clear it influenced Mr. Blow quite a bit.

Finally, uh...people kept talking about this "major spoiler" when reviews came out. I don't believe I ever ran into anything that could possibly qualify. What the hell were they all talking about?
[/QUOTE]

How do you get to "The Callenge" I don't know any of that and I haven't anything else to do in my main game other than enviromental puzzles and some discarded panel and audiologs.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
gorgeous game but too frustrating for me to continue

Kinda feeling the same way. And I'm SO CLOSE (I think). But this is just terrible. It's like whomever designed these puzzles I'm at (I don't know if Blow did them all himself) thought "ooooh, we're gonna fuck you over good now!". Sadists.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Use a guide.

I did for around half of the game, some of the puzzles are ridiculous and a few mechanics are very poorly described.

I have considered it, but I don't want to read one that might spoil anything big. It's hard to just google the solution for a particular puzzle.

Top Bottom