• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
How? I'm absolutely hating it. Not even sure if I can take it for long enough to get through this shit. First time I've genuinely disliked this game.

No idea, I guess I just like the whole
color
trick of that area. Never had any huge problems differentiating the different things and th
e elevator
puzzle was just cool and out-of-the-box, and I was "fuck yeah"-ing when I solved it first try lol..
Dunno, I really just liked the look and puzzle style of it all :D

edit: Also, don't use a guide. I did it for one late-game puzzle and felt horrible, and was/am tempted for the remainder of it all for puzzles that I eventually solved by myself anyway.. Not worth it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No idea, I guess I just like the whole
color
trick of that area. Never had any huge problems differentiating the different things and th
e elevator
puzzle was just cool and out-of-the-box, and I was "fuck yeah"-ing when I solved it first try lol..
Dunno, I really just liked the look and puzzle style of it all :D

Are you talking about
the different-colored floors with the elevator?
That's not what I'm talking about at all. I'm talking about
the epilepsy-inducing color-switching puzzles inside the mountain

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Post-endgame spoilers:

Well, I beat The Challenge! That was quite difficult. I didn't like the "running around a maze like an idiot looking for two triangle puzzles", which tends to take up anywhere from 30 seconds or 3 minutes, depending on the run, and necessitated numerous restarts. But man, it's not easy. You have to basically nail every puzzle, and even then, I only finished the final column puzzle with seconds to spare.

I'll finish out the last remaining puzzles in the underground area, but that's it. I rather enjoyed the GDC video...the only element of the entire game's narrative that I didn't roll my eyes at. It's clear it influenced Mr. Blow quite a bit.

Finally, uh...people kept talking about this "major spoiler" when reviews came out. I don't believe I ever ran into anything that could possibly qualify. What the hell were they all talking about?

the only things that come to mind is "+" or maybe the
video logs

jett

D-Member
Trying to do the Challenge for several hours yesterday was a mistake.
I can't stop thinking about these goddamn puzzles. I'm gonna have to stop playing this game for several days. :p

That's one of around a dozen puzzles/bits in the game that I think are just crap. like, 98% of the game is fantastic, but there are definitely some weak parts.

Epilepsy
Color blindness
Motion sickness
A special prize against anyone that has difficulty moving quickly

This is NOT a puzzle game for anyone with any physical disability or condition.
I think the beta build has made some improvements RE: motion sickness. The game can still be enjoyed without completing every area. You might as well people who are
deaf or tone deaf
in that too if you want to get so specific.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have a question about the
+ puzzles: I've found one so far, the one on top of the mountain. That one had a switch to guide you towards it, do all + puzzles have this, or do you have to recognize patterns just by watching? I went to the pillar that activated, and saw outlines of all the shapes there. I haven't seen any other weird switches so I'm thinking you have to find the rest without help.

I just did the jungle. Breezed through it. Big relief after how much I struggled with the hedge mazes. But they could have done a lot more with it. Back at school I had to do tests where
the teacher would play a melody on the piano, and you had to write it down as sheet music. You got to know which was the first tone and then you had to figure out the rest of the melody from there. Just being able to distinguish between three different pitches is child's play by comparison. I did like how, at the end with the dots, they set it up so that you would think you just had to do them in order of size from smaller to larger until that didn't work anymore and you had to figure out that dot size was ACTUALLY related to pitch. That misdirection was pretty clever.

I would have loved for the area to have been larger and a lot more difficult at the end, but I guess if you're tone deaf the area is already tricky as it is

I have a question about the
+ puzzles: I've found one so far, the one on top of the mountain. That one had a switch to guide you towards it, do all + puzzles have this, or do you have to recognize patterns just by watching? I went to the pillar that activated, and saw outlines of all the shapes there. I haven't seen any other weird switches so I'm thinking you have to find the rest without help.
Your thinking is correct but don't expect them all to be the same.
I just did the jungle. Flied through it. Big relief after how much I struggled with the hedge mazes. But they could have done a lot more with it. Back at school I had to do tests where
the teacher would play a melody on the piano, and you had to write it down as sheet music. You got to know which was the first tone and then you had to figure out the rest of the melody from there. Just being able to distinguish between three different pitches is child's play by comparison. I did like how, at the end with the dots, they set it up so that you would think you just had to do them in order of size from smaller to larger until that didn't work anymore and you had to figure out that dot size was ACTUALLY related to pitch. That misdirection was pretty clever.

I would have loved for the area to have been larger and a lot more difficult at the end, but I guess if you're tone deaf the area is already tricky as it is
We had an exercise where you would have to
draw a continuous line with your eyes closed to visualize the music. less academic but similar results. carried me to the second from last puzzle at which point i gave up.

JonnyKong

So I have a confession to make which a lot of you may judge me for, but, well screw it. I'm currently away on a 4 day break so I can't play the game, but before coming away I started to get quite frustrated with the game and I started to realise the game wasn't for me, I just don't have the patience for solving puzzles it seems. Then soon after that I spotted a few walk through videos online. I still wanted to see what the various areas of the game offered, so I played along whilst watching these videos to conquer more areas (I want the trophies damn it). It's amazing how quick you can get through an area when watching a video let me tell you!

When I get home tomorrow, I've only got two more areas to unlock and then I'll do the end game which hopefully will be straight forward enough to copy from a video again. I know a lot of you will be disgusted by this, and that I'm playing it completely the wrong way, but I spent my money on it, I want the trophies, I want to see how it ends.

Stop judging me :`(

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
So. The ending.

I take it that the words they say are clues to the real endgame content and you get brought back to the beginning because you failed.

Umm... I've 438 puzzles +38. Every beam activated,
5 video puzzles found
and game finished... :/

So... what do I need to do to obtain the last video puzzle? and what is this "Challenge" many of you are talking about? :(

Edit: Nvm, I've found how.

Symphonic

So I have a confession to make which a lot of you may judge me for, but, well screw it. I'm currently away on a 4 day break so I can't play the game, but before coming away I started to get quite frustrated with the game and I started to realise the game wasn't for me, I just don't have the patience for solving puzzles it seems. Then soon after that I spotted a few walk through videos online. I still wanted to see what the various areas of the game offered, so I played along whilst watching these videos to conquer more areas (I want the trophies damn it). It's amazing how quick you can get through an area when watching a video let me tell you!

When I get home tomorrow, I've only got two more areas to unlock and then I'll do the end game which hopefully will be straight forward enough to copy from a video again. I know a lot of you will be disgusted by this, and that I'm playing it completely the wrong way, but I spent my money on it, I want the trophies, I want to see how it ends.

Not disgusted, but why not try and play and then use a video only when you can't beat it? Otherwise you're literally just paying for the trophies; you could just YouTube the ending.

border

Use a guide.

I did for around half of the game, some of the puzzles are ridiculous and a few mechanics are very poorly described.

Is there a decent guide already made online?

I'm willing to give all of the puzzles a fair shot, but it's getting tedious taking snapshots and posting them here for hints. I'd rather just get the solutions to get past anything I feel I'm stumped by.

roytheone

Just spend 45 minutes solving the
last, big panel of the pressure plate part
of the castle, and
since I already did the mazes nothing happened :(

Hey guys, i could really use some help with these tetris puzzles. I've been banging my head against them for a while now and I guess I just don't really understand the mechanic properly. Here's a pic with the puzzle I'm at. Some hints would be appreciated.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaFR1L6WEAAiWCP.jpg
This series of panels and the ones behind it were some of the most satisfying to solve in my opinion. Stick with it, I had to come back a few times before I really got it.

Hints in order of detail:
Try the panels behind you. It might jog your thinking.
Go back and review the 10 panels by the swamp entrance write down the 'rules' as you see them
You can't chop individual blocks up
You can't rotate these blocks

Catvoca

Banned
This series of panels and the ones behind it were some of the most satisfying to solve in my opinion. Stick with it, I had to come back a few times before I really got it.

If they are as satisfying as you say I'll keep at them, and only use your hints if I get really frustrated! Thanks for the help.

Chris R

Almost at 300.

Finally
Unlocked the mountain
but I'm going to work on completing the various zones first. Wish there was an easy way to see completion percentage in game, there are 600ish puzzles right?

JonnyKong

Not disgusted, but why not try and play and then use a video only when you can't beat it? Otherwise you're literally just paying for the trophies; you could just YouTube the ending.

Actually now you mention it I did do that with the shadow tree area and the monastery. I liked those type of puzzles. It was the Marsh, desert and jungle which I really struggled with and used the walk through for them. I do realise I've ruined the experience for myself in a big way, and it's a regret I'll carry with myself for a long time, but I know if I don't do this the game will just go unplayed because I simply cannot fathom the puzzles. I knew going into this that puzzle games aren't my thing, but I felt like it was something I didn't want to miss out on.

Nothing wrong with playing a game for fun. If you're enjoying it, who cares?

As long as however you play doesn't affect others (cheating online, etc.) I've always been in the "play however you want" camp.

The game is beautiful - if watching videos online to help you clear areas gets you to see more of that, then I say go for it!

Neoweee

I think the beta build has made some improvements RE: motion sickness. The game can still be enjoyed without completing every area. You might as well people who are
deaf or tone deaf
in that too if you want to get so specific.

I straight up brute-forced two of the puzzles that cover what you spoiled. "There's only 109 combinations. How long could it take?"

You don't have to do everything, but there are some of the "problem" puzzles that are mandatory for regular ending.

I've played for about three hours now, got, really minor spoiler,
two light beacons shining to the center of the island
, and nearly completed two others. I,ve only found one, minor spoiler,
audiolog
that was in plain site at the first one. Are they really that hidden or am I missing a lot?

Also, color blindness is making some stuff really tough for me at times, both in terms of puzzles and navigation of the island. Certain stuff blends in too much for me.

AgeEighty

Yes, it's a little annoying that putting together "a good run" is just a matter of getting a lucky easy maze pattern or easy symmetry puzzle.

BUT... the RNG is itself a form of puzzle. When you hit the sets of 3 color sorting puzzles, it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out, some of them are actually unsolvable. And quickly spotting these impossible configs is part of the gauntlet.

Oh believe me, I realized quickly that some of the puzzles are unsolvable and that's why at least that one part of the gauntlet is multiple choice. But I swear there are some of the ones beforeand after that part that are also unsolvable, and then all I can do to fix it is to solve it incorrectly and go back and solve the previous one again to load up a new random puzzle, which costs valuable time through no fault of my own.

I actually had a fantastic run going one time and ended up with an unsolvable puzzle for the second triangle puzzle in the labyrinth. So frustrating.

Qblivion

Under the windmill spoilers:

what the fuck is this fifth video? I've heard some hot bullshit before but this a whole new level

roytheone

Try the panels behind you. It might jog your thinking.
Go back and review the 10 panels by the swamp entrance write down the 'rules' as you see them
You can't chop individual blocks up
You can't rotate these blocks

Agree with this, when I finally got the rule I was missing, it felt pretty good.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Those last few puzzles can fuck right off. Who thought this is a good idea?
I don't know how "last" they actually are but if this is what the whole last section is I will use a guide and feel good about it.
"Hey, I have a great idea let's make some puzzles that are
physically hard to look at and are less about the actual puzzle and more about how much we can strain the players eyes?
That's funny haha"
Fuck that.

I DID IT

Challenge beaten, after hours of attempts. I had no idea what I was doing on that last
pillar
. Got so lucky.

33 hours, 516 + 34.

mclem

Use a guide.

I did for around half of the game, some of the puzzles are ridiculous and a few mechanics are very poorly described.

I disagree strongly. The only bit I thought was genuinely beyond me were a few of the panels in the B
amboo
F
orest
, and that's more because
I'm very poor at isolating pitch
. And even those, I got eventually without using external help.

It's hard for me to articulate exactly what I mean when I say I feel it's fine, but I'm a big fan of adventure game puzzles, and I've written a great deal about my thoughts on puzzle design, cluing, structure, playing fair...

...and I don't think there's anything in The Witness that I'd regard as unfair. I think the tutorials are great at establishing themes, the rules in question are all pretty simple (indeed, I suspect one problem people may have is thinking the rules are more complicated than they are)

This may change when I venture into the postgame, I guess, but in the main game, I feel that the game's been true to its goals, and that's the best praise I can offer.

Neoweee

I DID IT

Challenge beaten, after hours of attempts. I had no idea what I was doing on that last
pillar
. Got so lucky.

33 hours, 516 + 34.

Congratulations! Satisfying, but, yeah,
RNG fest. Sometimes, the answers to the "hard' ones are trivial (the second set of "which is solvable?", both of the triangle ones, and the two pillars).

Took me about 90 minutes out of my ~19 hours of play.

Catvoca

Banned
Update: I took Visualante2's advice and went back to the earlier puzzles and wrote down the rules as they arose and it really helped. I've managed to finish that line of 4 puzzles and it was very satisfying! Thanks for the help!

mclem

I have no idea what's going on with the flux capacitor puzzles.

Need to look at them harder I guess.

Hints, if you want them:

Notice that the flux capacitor always exists with other elements

A further hint:

The very first examples - where you use them to control some lifts - use them with the simplest element, the dots. Notice something about them.

A further hint:

You'll notice that solving them leaves a dot out, which is a no-no on dot puzzles. But they still work.

Explicitly outlining the rule:

A segment containing a flux capacitor must contain exactly one mistake in how the other symbols are used. The capacitor will fix that mistake.

falz3333

Neo Member
I feel kinda bad now. I was saying shipwreck puzzle was poorly designed because it introduces multiple concepts not seen by the player yet
(overlapping noises and generic vs. non generic hexagon colors for symmetry lines)
but I just went back to
the symmetry area
and there is a series of puzzles which introduces the second concept! I had just forgotten. I should go back to
the jungle
and see if there are any hints at the first concept (though I don't think there are!).

I've now finished:
Keep
Desert Ruin
Shady Trees
Quarry
Treehouse
Marsh
Monastery
Bunker

I think I'm at something like
over 300 normal puzzles, +19

I got really annoyed
testing various vantage points in the room where you can adjust the water level beneath the desert temple
, so I just looked up solutions for a couple of the panels. Solved everything else myself so far - trying to take my dear sweet time so I can observe stuff that I might need to pay attention to later.

Help, I need conformation if I locked myself out of the ending before I load a save from looooooong ago..

Ending area spoiler:

I got into the mountain and finished all the second level puzzles (the floor with the colorful epilepsy puzzles). By activating both sides you open a door to an elevator. While trying to figure out how to reach the new door I noticed that I could activate the panel from a distance. I thought that might activate a drawbridge or something so I did activate it which sent the elevator down and from what I can tell there's no panel to bring it back up even if I solve now getting across.

So, am I fucked?

Belfast

This is a deeply unsatisfying game.

On the contrary, I find it to be incredibly satisfying. The most satisfying I've played in a long time. It's going to be a bit before I can go back to playing anything else, I think, because even the closest modern analogs like Talos Principle and Portal just don't quite capture the same feeling. Portal is clever and humorous, but it is relatively straightforward. Talos has the philosphy aspect and some abstraction, but the environments are typically in service of the puzzles rather than working in tandem with them.

And as much as I want more, I doubt even a "Witness 2" would capture the same appeal. I don't think Blow is interested in doing a sequel, but even if he did, he'd have to come up with tons of new rules/possibilities for the core mechanic, surely composed of those that were likely left on the cutting room floor for not being interesting/fun enough. And then you'd just have a shittier game.

Feep

Banned
Oh believe me, I realized quickly that some of the puzzles are unsolvable and that's why at least that one part of the gauntlet is multiple choice. But I swear there are some of the ones beforeand after that part that are also unsolvable, and then all I can do to fix it is to solve it incorrectly and go back and solve the previous one again to load up a new random puzzle, which costs valuable time through no fault of my own.

I actually had a fantastic run going one time and ended up with an unsolvable puzzle for the second triangle puzzle in the labyrinth. So frustrating.
No triangle puzzle is the labyrinth in unsolvable.

There's an easy trick to spotting impossible puzzles in the first set of three...if you ever see a combination of WB and right underneath is BW, forming a checkerboard 2x2, the puzzle is automatically impossible. At least 50% or more impossible puzzles have this configuration, so it definitely helps.

Liamc723

Is there a decent guide already made online?

I'm willing to give all of the puzzles a fair shot, but it's getting tedious taking snapshots and posting them here for hints. I'd rather just get the solutions to get past anything I feel I'm stumped by.

I YouTubed the main of the area and then found a few useful guides.

I disagree strongly. The only bit I thought was genuinely beyond me were a few of the panels in the B
amboo
F
orest
, and that's more because
I'm very poor at isolating pitch
. And even those, I got eventually without using external help.

It's hard for me to articulate exactly what I mean when I say I feel it's fine, but I'm a big fan of adventure game puzzles, and I've written a great deal about my thoughts on puzzle design, cluing, structure, playing fair...

...and I don't think there's anything in The Witness that I'd regard as unfair. I think the tutorials are great at establishing themes, the rules in question are all pretty simple (indeed, I suspect one problem people may have is thinking the rules are more complicated than they are)

This may change when I venture into the postgame, I guess, but in the main game, I feel that the game's been true to its goals, and that's the best praise I can offer.

I wish I didn't use a guide, but I absolutely would not have finished the game without one. The biggest problem I had was the Tetris puzzles, which I think were explained horrendously.

Top Bottom