• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Henkka

Banned
Was there something I missed in the castle area?
I did the pressure plate puzzles first, and unlocked the laser. Then I noticed the hedge mazes, and did those too. I was anticipating that something was going to happen, but I guess it's just another way to unlock the same laser? Was kinda disappointed, felt like a waste of time.

Mistle

My second and final time asking for help, I think:

I'm right near what I assume is the end of the game and I don't understand why the following solution isn't working:

Link to Screenshot

Using my cut-outs on paper, they fit together perfectly:

Link to Picture

I'm really stumped here.
for the floor puzzle you can't rotate the pieces, even if they're rotatable in each individual panel (can't remember exactly). gotta find a non-rotatable solution that works

further hint:
even if it means solving each individual panel in a different manner.

MBison

Question about where to go next:

I have five lasers for

the desert, monastery, keep, symmetry, orange trees. Where should I head next for next difficulty tier, forest, quarry, treehouses?

mclem

My second and final time asking for help, I think:

I'm right near what I assume is the end of the game and I don't understand why the following solution isn't working:

Link to Screenshot

Using my cut-outs on paper, they fit together perfectly:

Link to Picture

I'm really stumped here.

Those Tetris pieces aren't tilted.

You are hilariously close to the solution

Interesting, he's some way off from my solution. Guess there's multiple.

Question about where to go next:

I have five lasers for

the desert, monastery, keep, symmetry, orange trees. Where should I head next for next difficulty tier, forest, quarry, treehouses?
If you want to learn more, I'd go for the
tree houses It's also a lovely area visually
.. If you want something a little easier go for
the forest

for the floor puzzle you can't rotate the pieces, even if they're rotatable in each individual panel (can't remember exactly). gotta find a non-rotatable solution that works

further hint:
even if it means solving each individual panel in a different manner.

Thereeee we go. Got it.

Needed to re-solve the bottom right slightly differently and it was fine.

One small tweak and I finished it, so I was quite close!

Mistle

But the specific line he drew is the same as yours, yeah? Even if the panel pieces are wrong.
If you did something different, then yeah I guess there's multiple solutions.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is there a tutorial for the 3-pronged logo puzzles? I have zero clue what to do inside the sawmill.

ekimneems

Neo Member
Looking for a vague hint in the keep:

I think it's the third puzzle where you walk and work around the debris, it's a green puzzle with two tetrominos (the first one in here with tetris pieces). I think the walking is allowing me to complete whole loops and that maybe changes the rules/mechanics but none of my guesses have worked.

Aces&Eights

Paging IntelligentGAF.

I'm so proud of myself for getting though the
colored rooms part
All by myself but now I'm stuck in the stupid
elevator
. It's probably something simple but I've been here for 42 minutes. Anyone got a tip?

Edit: I can get it to go back down just not up any higher.

Catvoca

Banned
Is there a tutorial for the 3-pronged logo puzzles? I have zero clue what to do inside the sawmill.

The sawmill is the tutorial I think. Is that the building by the dam? Just keep guessing solutions and when one is correct, try and discern why it worked. It might take a while, but you can figure it out through trial and error and questioning what works and what doesn't.

mario_O

I did that with a controller. What's special about it?

Look at the back of the panel. It's tilted to the right. Part of the shadow is on the metal to the left of it.

Oh I know the clue is on the orange metal thing, but it just shows one shadow-clue thingy, and that clue is only for a small part of the panel (the corner I think). It's impossible to know the rest. I don't know how you're supposed to solve it, trial-and-error?

Paging IntelligentGAF.

colored rooms part
elevator
. It's probably something simple but I've been here for 42 minutes. Anyone got a tip?

I think I finally came up with a good way to hint at this:

Which floors have the pure colored lights?

Oh I know the clue is on the orange metal thing, but it just shows one shadow-clue thingy, and that clue is only for a small part of the panel (the corner I think). It's impossible to know the rest. I don't know how you're supposed to solve it, trial-and-error?

The left half of the path is on the orange piece of metal and the right half is on the panel itself. Combine the two halves and then shift right by two squares.

roytheone

Paging IntelligentGAF.

colored rooms part
elevator
Look at the puzzles on each floor. Can you spot some kind of patern?

Aces&Eights

I think I finally came up with a good way to hint at this:

Which floors have the pure colored lights?

The left half of the path is on the orange piece of metal and the right half is on the panel itself. Combine the two halves and then shift right by two squares.

Can I PM you?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The sawmill is the tutorial I think. Is that the building by the dam? Just keep guessing solutions and when one is correct, try and discern why it worked. It might take a while, but you can figure it out through trial and error and questioning what works and what doesn't.

Hmm...ok. I've been trying that and am still confused as to why certain things work. I got the first panel to work but cannot figure out why. Any idea I have had does not work in the second panel.

jett

D-Member
I still only have a vague sense of what you are allowed to do with Tetris pieces....it seems like sometimes you are allowed to rotate them, but most of the time you are not..

Here are all the Tetris blocks rules you need to concern yourself with:

When bunched together in an enclosure, all regular tetris blocks can be moved around however you want, but can't be tilted. The shape you end up making has to perfectly account for their combined shape, however they're placed.

Tilted blocks have the same property, excepted that they can be tilted obviously. They cannot be flipped or mirrored however.

roytheone

Yeah, I can get it back down. I can go up a couple but that's it. Maybe I'm not supposed to go higher?
You are supposed to go higher. Start from the bottom, and work your way up floor by floor, and try to find a pattern in the solutions. If you got the patern, just continue it.

Catvoca

Banned
Hmm...ok. I've been trying that and am still confused as to why certain things work. I got the first panel to work but cannot figure out why. Any idea I have had does not work in the second panel.

I went through the exact same thought process. Keep at it, I found it one of the most satisfying mechanics to figure out. I can try to give you a hint if you want it.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
(After the end of the game)

I am so weirded out by the video at the end of the "credits room".

Seems about right if someone was able to play a game like this Matrix style and literally live in there for days on end. It's weird but interesting.

Aces&Eights

You are supposed to go higher. Start from the bottom, and work your way up floor by floor, and try to find a pattern in the solutions. If you got the patern, just continue it.

how high? I go up 3 then when I do puzzle the broken wire flashes.

Seems about right if someone was able to play a game like this Matrix style and literally live in there for days on end. It's weird but interesting.

Yes but it has that "Super Mario Bros 2" ending feeling (everything was a dream, experiment, whatever) that I find really lame in 2016. The good thing is that in videos and logs there are some interesting discussions.

Two Words

Making the game so you can quickly load in was such a smart decision. I can load into the game in literally 5 seconds. I've figured out 2 puzzles while just doing other stuff, sometimes even school work. I was able to pop into the game and try the solution quickly, then go back to what I should be doing.

Nibel

The stars can only be grouped together with one other star of the same color, but won't care about other differently-colored stars being in there with them.

Thanks man;
does that mean that I can for example group 2 white stars with 1 black star?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So the
secret challenge thing is an RNG run? Uhhhh....I think I'll pass. Is there some special ending if you complete it?

Man I just got the 'easy' ending I guess.
As soon as I started flying and saw the puzzles reset I knew Blow was sending me back to the start. Motherfucker!

Absolutely masterful game and I still know I have a lot to get through. For instance, and I'd appreciate some pointers:

The desert, full stop. Is there a code I'm missing that make sense of the panels with the wheel looking mazes? I feel the little town I'll be able to solve, my mission is to get all the lasers running. The IRL puzzles would kill me

I finished the chirp puzzles, though it looked like the wire from the last panel went underground. I'm assuming the tunnel near the shrine is my way in but I have no idea about the solution to the gate...

I've also got into a couple of the vaults, and those videos are damn intriguingly. I know there's another by the desert I got into break into, are the rest underground somewhere?

Beat the game. I feel like the smartest man alive.

Question:
Do the "+" puzzles actually do anything/unlock anything or are they just for fun? I noticed the black pillars around the island light up but it didn't seem like they did anything?

Top Bottom