• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The greatest satisfaction ever.
And the final video.

I personally loved the section. Great way to top off the main game for me.

Huh. It kinda does the complete opposite for me. I actually sours me a bit on the game.
Because now I feel like I've been just solving randomly generated puzzles the entire time. I know that's not true, but I can't stop wondering "Hmmm...that puzzle I liked....did Blow come up with that or was it just an RNG thing that he kept?"

Meh, whatever I had a great time with the game. Solved ~400 puzzles, I'm good. I could go for 100% but I know I'll never be able to find/solve all the puzzles by myself so I don't see the point in doing it.
Fantastic game, worth every cent

FHIZ

Okay, I really need some fucking help. I honestly think this puzzle is unsolvable, as it's a cylindrical mirrored pac-man dot puzzle, and it's so easy to block one dot out in so many different ways. I've double checked the dot placement, and size 6 vertical and 7 horizontal, and jesus f'ing christ, I just can't get it. Seriously, any help would be useful, I'll take a straight up solution, because screw this puzzle. Mind you, the edges wrap around.

http://i.imgur.com/cx4VU4n.jpg

Zomba13

Completed "The Challenge". I decided I'd have one more go for the night but my first go was just terrible so I scrapped it and restarted and managed to get it on that run.

http://gfycat.com/MilkyMealyCrow (Gif version of what i'm saying, if you don't want to click my youtube video! ( i got ads))

I just try something. I mixed a audio log/quote with some nice landscape for a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4332X4_KHjc

And i tried to mimic "10 hours relaxation video" with the same watherfall. Maybe it's a first in Video game? ( I only found some 10 hours relaxing music from video game. But not visual/nature video from a game lol...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zujJZLmi2wo

Lol, the 10 hours is more a joke + I wanted to be maybe the first to do that. Took me like 15hour to render + 15 to upload xD. 70 gb in size! Some people watch relax/nature video for sleeping i think, now they can with The Witness!

Sorry for my bad english, i'm french

Try ignoring the phone and focusing on the chirping

I have, but I swear it's wrong. Its actually not the cellphone. That is triggered around the area.

When I click the puzzle, I hear the bird and some other animal, but I swear the input doesnt work. Am I missing something?

Chopper

102 puzzles done, and I still have no fucking idea what I'm doing. These tetramino puzzles are doing my head in. And what the hell is with the puzzles with the little three-pronged symbol in some squares?

I watched an awesome video in the basement of the windmill, but couldn't get any further.

Ugh. Whatever. Bed time.

Catvoca

Banned
I have, but I swear it's wrong. Its actually not the cellphone. That is triggered around the area.

When I click the puzzle, I hear the bird and some other animal, but I swear the input doesnt work. Am I missing something?

Are you in the one after the phonecall, where there is a weird mooing sound? Alright I'll put the solution in another tag

i think in that one you don't follow the chirps, you follow the pitch of the animal. It should fit perfectly on the maze

wowowowow....wait one second. Endgame spoilers:

Did it really just reset my progress on the island? Will I be able to go back and finish everything? Will my save still exist before I entered the final Willy Wonka elevator? I haven't toyed around much outside of just walking out the first couple doors again (due to exhaustion) so I don't know if there's some new game plus stuff going on...or if it literally is just a complete do-over. No specific spoilers, but is this it?

Also what is this "The Challenge" thing everyone is talking about?
Are they just referring to the final angelic space with the pillars? I had more difficulty on the goddamn floor panel puzzle getting into that area than anything in the open pillar room.

Qblivion

I don't understand what I am supposed to do with the broken
sound puzzle with no sound
in the town.

edit: never mind

I don't understand what I am supposed to do with the broken
sound puzzle with no sound
in the town.

Oh that? If I recall
on the left panel you make up notes and then do whatever matches on the right panel?
I think that's how it works.

But can someone tell me what the
chirp puzzle was supposed to lead to? I did the set that sprung out of the floor and then nothing happened

KodaRuss

So to the people who have played both, how does Talos Principle compare? I am working through The Witness and really enjoying it. Getting stuck here and there but it is just a really fun game to play.

I just need to know
is it possible to get the L block at the top right
?

The perspective of this room was part of the reason why it fucked me up so much. I'm going to need more info on what piece you're talking about. Your top right could be my bottom left. The big ones or the 3-block sized ones?

wutwutwut

Post-game: is there any point in doing the
caves
puzzles? I did all of them
other than the gauntlet
and I didn't see anything happen. Does it make the
gauntlet timer longer
?

Qblivion

So to the people who have played both, how does Talos Principle compare? I am working through The Witness and really enjoying it. Getting stuck here and there but it is just a really fun game to play.

unless there is some twist at the end, the witness has no story, but the puzzles are a little more creative and clever.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the game really isn't playable on low on pc. the
shadow
puzzles get fucked up.
I saw Blow tweeting about this earlier. Maybe send him a screenshot and your CPU/GPU specs. It may be being patched.

Trying to figure out why this solution
http://imgur.com/TDdlblI for the puzzle in the first submerged location in the swamp
doesn't work. I cut out the pieces on paper and laid them out and can't see where I am going wrong.

Those are not rotatable pieces.

wowowowow....wait one second. Endgame spoilers:

Did it really just reset my progress on the island? Will I be able to go back and finish everything? Will my save still exist before I entered the final Willy Wonka elevator? I haven't toyed around much outside of just walking out the first couple doors again (due to exhaustion) so I don't know if there's some new game plus stuff going on...or if it literally is just a complete do-over. No specific spoilers, but is this it?

Also what is this "The Challenge" thing everyone is talking about?
Are they just referring to the final angelic space with the pillars? I had more difficulty on the goddamn floor panel puzzle getting into that area than anything in the open pillar room.

Your old save is still there - just load as soon as you start again. There is no new game plus.

The Challenge is something else.

Just finished the game.
439 +72, 11 lasers and 5 videos. Which of the latter am I missing? I got Shipwreck, Mountain side, Desert, Monastery and the one near the starting area.
From the way people talk(ed) I expected to have a much harder time inside the mountain. Wasn't that bad, really. Difficulty felt just right. And the pillars at the end were a fun variation of the normal panels. Also opened up the path to secret caves. Not sure if I'm ready for even more puzzles right now, though. Kinda feel like taking a little break from the game.

epmode

So to the people who have played both, how does Talos Principle compare?

The Witness integrates its puzzles into the environment in fascinating ways. Talos puzzles are a lot of fun but the environment is more of a backdrop.

Talos is better at making me feel like a genius when I solve a tough puzzle but that just comes down to the beautiful sound effect.

Talos and its expansion both have excellent stories while The Witness barely has one.

Both games are very much worth playing.

Just finished the game.
439 +72, 11 lasers and 5 videos. Which of the latter am I missing? I got Shipwreck, Mountain side, Desert, Monastery and the one near the starting area.
From the way people talk(ed) I expected to have a much harder time inside the mountain. Wasn't that bad, really. Difficulty felt just right. And the pillars at the end were a fun variation of the normal panels. Also opened up the path to secret caves. Not sure if I'm ready for even more puzzles right now, though. Kinda feel like taking a little break from the game.

You did not miss any videos. The last one is coming up.

Endish game question

I'm at what I think is the bottom floor in the mountain. I thought I understood this puzzle where it's the floor with 4 panels in it but the panels are 4x4 and the floor is 5x5. I made a shape that I thought would work but it doesn't.

I need to step away from the game for a few days, maybe even a week. I've played a ton over the last few days and I'm dangerously close to burning out.

Currently at 363 +38. I think I have all but one laser enabled (
10 turned on, haven't done the one in the village
). At this point, I'm taking a break from that last laser section and the handful of other things I can't solve (looking at you, stupid frigging ship) and just heading for the mountain to see what's up. Poked around a little, got through an introductory part, and yeah, I see this'll be a bit of a thing, lol.

I think I just played too much too fast. I went through the areas in a weird order and the last one I completed wound up being a nice, easy breather, but now that I'm back to the tough stuff, the "this is challenging and I want to defeat it!" feeling is gradually starting to turn towards "man, fuck this."

Mindlog

EDIT: Oh shit, I'm dumb! Didn't realize
I could just walk right through the thing
, even though I was doing it all along.
A little inebriated catching up on older posts. Yeah, it's hilarious (sic) how often the obvious contradicts every effort you have made to solve a puzzle sometimes.
Oh god, I hope nobody with epilepsy tries to beat this game.
Not hilarious, but funny how we almost all say the same thing when we get there :]
I just need to know
is it possible to get the L block at the top right
?
You should really know the answer by now so don't click on my spoiler.
(The answer to the above question spoilered) But if you really want to know:
No. As far as I know removing that piece is impossible. (this space intentionally left blank)

Bigger spoiler:
If the above is true then basic math will eliminate another possibility.
missing the same one. anyone?...

edit:

coming up when, exactly? :) ...
You are missing the important one.
It's quite fun :]
It's the end-end-game puzzle.

This game is impossible without a pen and paper right?

I've hit a section where I wish I had some graph paper.
As much as I would love graph paper, I've just been using a notebook and cutting out pieces with an xacto knife

Mindlog

It really comes down to your learning style.
It's where the game excels imo. I enjoyed the challenge of approaching the same puzzles with different toolsets.

Razorback

I haven't finished the Witness yet, I played 23 hours and got 8 lasers so far. I think the Witness is breathtakingly beautiful and beats Talos as a much nicer place to explore. I think that the lack of music hurts the Witness as well as the lack of story. The puzzles I feel are better but Talos may stick in my memory more vividly because of said story elements.

I don't know yet, I have to finish it and let some time pass to better judge it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

If you have a smartphone take a picture of the screen and start sketching using your favorite app.

Stoze

I finally solved the shipwreck puzzle. It's really unfortunate because I figured what to do/the solution very early on, but must've missed that I entered it in incorrectly and then concluded that wasn't the way to solve it. Ended up coming to the solution again hours later just out of purely exhausting options.

Because of that here are some of the insane things I thought about trying to solve it:
Since I thought the 2 different sounds/"tracks" weren't working, I went looking for a third sound. I tried picking up a pattern in my footsteps, driving the boat through under the adjacent ship and hearing anything, listening to the waves, even searching for a possible melodic pattern in the speech of the nearby audio log.

Glad to be done with that. I think all the panels I have left come from finishing the challenge.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to stay away from spoilers so I haven't been able to search well, but I remember someone said they had photoshop files of the
tetris
pieces. Anyone have the link they posted?

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
The perspective of this room was part of the reason why it fucked me up so much. I'm going to need more info on what piece you're talking about. Your top right could be my bottom left. The big ones or the 3-block sized ones?
Top right from the entrance and the L block is 4 squares.

Endish game question

I'm at what I think is the bottom floor in the mountain. I thought I understood this puzzle where it's the floor with 4 panels in it but the panels are 4x4 and the floor is 5x5. I made a shape that I thought would work but it doesn't.

There are multiple ways to solve those four panels.

rbanke

I'm working on the end but I've read conflicting information on if progress is reset after the ending. I looked it up and a couple things said that it basically is new game, but from some of the posts it seems that is not the case. Can someone say which is correct?

Stoze

I'm working on the end but I've read conflicting information on if progress is reset after the ending. I looked it up and a couple things said that it basically is new game, but from some of the posts it seems that is not the case. Can someone say which is correct?

No progress is reset, the game autosaves before the ending.

Top Bottom