• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

warthog

Got it. Connected my PS4 to my network with a cable to get it faster (15 minutes instead of many hours because of the bad wireless connection where I play). Time to play now.

KooopaKid

Banned
I hope this game ends up being for me what Fez was for most people.

I didn't play Fez until way after release (when it was free on PS+) and by en I think I had gotten a bit burnt out on how much hype it got after release on a lot of the podcasts I listened to. When I finally did play it I was just kinda underwhelmed; didn't like the basic platforming much (the getting up a ledge animation took too long or something) and I found the layout of the game super confusing. I just felt like I was going through door after door and not getting a good understanding of what puzzles I could or couldn't solve at the moment. I want to go back to it at some point, but I'm not sure when.w

I've haven't been paying much attention to this game and I'm looking forward to going into it fresh.

Well I played Fez day 1, and I was underwhelmed too. Nice presentation but the actual puzzles were quite simple. The pseudo meta-game didn't interest me in the slighlest.

StaSeb

just started playing. early on, ive already made my way outside and solved the two tutorial type puzzles in the field and shack. now i need to use that knowledge to solve the first bunker door puzzle. im stuck lol. i know what to do but i cant seem to do it correctly.

Some help with not too heavy spoilers:
You have two rules combined in one puzzle there. And several starting points. But look at the starting points: Only one of them allows you to follow both rules! The rest should be a matter of thinking and trying a bit.

MaxiLive

How does it compare to The Talos Principle? It looks great and I want to pick it up, but I just bought TTP last week so I can't justify it just yet.

I haven't played it myself but just after finishing The Talos Principle I think The Witness is far more puzzle based and requires minimal interactivity. It looks like all the puzzles themselves will be line drawings with different concepts layered onto them such as avoid the dots, split the colours etc. Where as The Talos Principle adds new equipment as mechanics and is far more story driven with the audio logs, terminals and changes in environments.

If you feel like a pure puzzle game then go for it while everyone is talking about it but if not wait for the next Steam sale :D It seems much more of a pure puzzle game though vs TTP. Think Brain Age (The Witness) vs Portal (TTP).

One hour and one trophy later, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I love how so far, the game teaches you stuff in a non verbal, intuitive way.

There was one thing that stumped me for a bit (like one minute), but understanding it felt really rewarding.

Yeah, I'm staying super vague on purpose.

Knuf

I heard a physical edition is coming out, is it confirmed to be true?
Yes, I've read the Q/A in OP, but it's rather vague and doesn't list any source, some link to an official confirmation would be awesome.
My backlog is huge atm, so I'd rather wait for a physical PS4 disc if it's indeed coming, even if it's still a few months away.

danowat

Banned
I swore to myself I wouldn't start another new game until I (finally) finished The Last Of Us, but man, I really want to dip into this and see what the fuss is about!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Is the steam store price the best you can currently get?

KraytarJ

I'm at the first bunker and this just isn't making sense. I'm doing what I was taught from the panels earlier but for some reason I'm being told I'm wrong.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just played for about 2 hours...this game is going to be an absolute nightmare to discuss in this OT, lol. Did a variety of puzzles from all over the place and finally got stuck for the first time so I should call it a night for now. Already saw quite a few really clever puzzles.

But yeah, I'm not sure how people are going to mask spoilers about this. It's hard to really even talk about where you are since it's so free on where to go.

77 puzzles solved so far, and it barely feels like ive scratched the surface. Some very clever uses of the environment so far, also the visuals are breathtaking even on PS4.

Brain is starting to melt now time for sleep.

There's some really great environmental clues for puzzles. I'm also enjoying that I'm actively taking pictures and screenshots to help solve certain puzzles. It's a cool feeling to be engaged in a game that way.

BashNasty

Some help with not too heavy spoilers:
You have two rules combined in one puzzle there. And several starting points. But look at the starting points: Only one of them allows you to follow both rules! The rest should be a matter of thinking and trying a bit.

So I'm in bed now after (light, early game spoilers)
getting the first beam of light to connect to the mountain
and I can't get the first bunker door puzzle either, it's slightly annoying me because, by all accounts, I should be doing it correctly. I completely understand the two rules
pass through all dots, separate white and black
and am executing them correctly, but the puzzle still says I'm doing something wrong. Until I read your post I figured I'd have to simply come back later after learning something else, but what you wrote suggests that isn't true...

Just played for 2 hours and 33 minutes and its everything I hoped it would be. I feel like saying anything more would be a spoiler of some kind and I would never want to spoil some of the highs I reached tonight. Off to bed as I mull over the stuff I just didn't understand.

Edit: I also started busting out the pen and paper.

So I'm in bed now after (light, early game spoilers)
getting the first beam of light to connect to the mountain
and I can't get the first bunker door puzzle either, it's slightly annoying me because, by all accounts, I should be doing it correctly. I completely understand the two rules
pass through all dots, separate white and black
and am executing them correctly, but the puzzle still says I'm doing something wrong. Until I read your post I figured I'd have to simply come back later after learning something else, but what you wrote suggests that isn't true...

I solved it and went through a similar phase, Keep going!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Do you have to do anything to save? How are you guys seeing puzzle counts?

Jb

I love how some early puzzles are just about letting your mind and cursor wander around the screen until you find the right path. Very relaxing.

KraytarJ

So I just got done playing for ~1.5 hours and what a first impression. From feeling totally stone-walled to overcoming an obstacle I didn't quite understand to picking up cues in the environment to finding something I really wasn't expecting. At least from my first impressions this game is truly remarkable.

Regarding Fez:

I found the layout of the game super confusing. I just felt like I was going through door after door and not getting a good understanding of what puzzles I could or couldn't solve at the moment.

That's precisely how I feel about Fez. I like the gameplay, but navigating the world is too confusing for me. I'll probably try again eventually.

Seriously I have stumbled upon what is seemingly an end state in the game within ten minutes. I don't know what I can even say. Its a huge spoiler. I mean HUGE. Should I even post it in spoiler tags?

That silly moment when you remember that you need to pay a parking ticket for £35, just when you were about to buy the game :( :( :(
I hate my life right now.... maybe next month .

wouwie

Sitting at work reading all those nice impressions... i have the day off tomorrow though so i can't wait to get home and start downloading and playing. Haven't been so excited for a game in a while and i'm going in pretty much blind (only watched the first reveal trailer).

Wil348

Is the game really only puzzles and puzzles ? What about exploration ?

From what I've heard you can explore the open world.

Anyway, really tempted to pick this up....the £30 price point is a little hard to stomach tbh (though I'm not saying that it's not worth it), but I'll watch my friend stream it later and see what I think then.

Dinjooh

I'm just waiting for the so to come home so we can get this show on the road

IT WAS A POOR DECISION TO START THIS GAME RIGHT BEFORE BED

bed was supposed to be an hour ago

image.php

Top Bottom