• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

StaSeb

Uh, maybe we should edit the OT withe the info that The Witness seems to offer no colorblind-mode. There are some puzzles that seem to rely heavily on colour-perception. Even though one might still complete the game without those, I find the information relevant.

MMaRsu

Damn stupid tree panels, they reset when ypu fail them. Is it pure guesswork which one is the right branch? Im on the fourth one now..

not rly a spoiler

hydruxo

Woke up at 3 AM to download it off PSN, and it was done installing by the time I woke up at 6:30. I got out of the tutorial area and did maybe 10 puzzles outside of that and I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to dive into it this afternoon when I get off work.

StaSeb

This just happened to me too. Trying to figure out what's wrong as it's definitely not my card, and my details are correct. Weird.

PSN is very anal when it comes to CC-details. You have provide your data exactly the way it is present at your CC-provider. I had to write the full name of my street to make it work. With "st." it did not.

danowat

Banned
So is this worth 40 euros?

That's a hard question to answer, not knowing what you like or don't like.

That said, the reception has been very good, and I would probably not even think about the price, rather think if your likes / dislikes align with the product.

Jarsonot

Downloading! You guys that are getting stuck, do you really want someone to help you out right away?

Obviously to each their own, but I've seen several recommendations of NOT getting help. Think about it, sleep in it, go somewhere else on the island, etc.

I think if you just go looking for answers at every snag you'll deprive yourself of ine if the big draws of puzzle games.

Uh okay so I don't want to post huge spoilers even tagged just in case anyone clicks it on accident but can someone who has beaten the game/gotten pretty far PLEASE PM me because I feel like I just "solved" (for lack of a better word) the game too early and I want someone to confirm or deny that I have/haven't.

Please, kind of losing my mind over here

Nibel

Please, kind of losing my mind over here

ibpcw5oycbzbqekaj4s.gif

FelipeMGM

Im feeling a little bit o motion sickness, and I basically never feel like this with games. I feel like the camera isnt on the same pace as your movement. Anyone feeling like this?

Damn stupid tree panels, they reset when ypu fail them. Is it pure guesswork which one is the right branch? Im on the fourth one now..

not rly a spoiler

Its not guesswork, they are actually easy.
The enviroment has clues

Ricker

Is this game like Talos Principle in the sense that I will have to go see half the puzzle solution on YouTube...looks awesome but may be too hard and tedious for me(no patience for stuff like this ;) )

MaxiLive

Is this game like Talos Principle in the sense that I will have to go see half the puzzle solution on YouTube...looks awesome but may be too hard and tedious for me(no patience for stuff like this ;) )

If you plan on doing that then I would say skip this as you won't get much enjoyment out of it. From all the review/previews it seems like half of the interest in the game is due to the discovery when you complete puzzles and the feel good feeling you get when you finally get over a hurdle that has been blocking you.

If you think you'd be Youtubing a lot of solutions you should probably just watch a lets play for now. The Witness also sounds like it has a lot less story than TTP so you want have the rewards of story beats once you complete a puzzle either.

NightOnyx

Is the entire game just 2D maze puzzles that you solve in order to activate something?

I haven't played it yet, but going off of the Giantbomb Quick Look, it does seem like those 2D puzzles are how you activate everything in the world. However, it's not as simple as going to a screen and completing the maze. They mention and even show a little bit of how the environment and prospective are eventually used in the completion of those 2D mazes. I recommend going and watching the Quick Look of the game if you're on the fence about it. It doesn't show off too much but you definitely get a sense of how the game starts to progress and gets more complicated, even though Brad insist that it's just the tip of the iceberg on how they change things up.

I'm gonna lose my shit if I just bumbled into something massive immediately but I'm gonna lose my shit even harder if it turns out it isn't even a big deal. AHHH

Mifune

Mehmber
47 panels solved. Calling it a night, I mean morning.

Cool game. I feel a bit overwhelmed though. Like there are so many puzzles and the island is kinda huge. Guess I'm gonna stick to one area for as long as I can so as to avoid going nuts.

Those of you who have played it for a few hours. How soon into the game until you came across your first stumped moment?

About an hour and a half. Stuck on
some shape block stuff in a building past a yellow bridge
and
some puzzles that seem to be about grouping secondary colours and their components
. (Both early-ish puzzle type spoilers).

I also seem to have a bug that upon
crossing a moving bridge back and forth I can't seem to get back across it.

Those of you who have played it for a few hours. How soon into the game until you came across your first stumped moment?

I don't think I skipped a puzzle all the way through my first completed region but then the next place I went to I couldn't figure out a single thing there so I just left. So maybe about 45-60 minutes in for me. Even completing a ton of puzzles after that I still don't know what I do in that second region I went to so I haven't bothered trying to go back.

It likely really just depends what direction you go out of the tutorial-ish section. People have talked about tree puzzles and I know what they're referring to based off of a picture posted before the game was out but I haven't seen those puzzles yet. I don't want to describe the groups of puzzles I've been doing so as to not hint at the theme but I've been going strong since leaving that second region I came to.

nib95

Banned
I'm gonna lose my shit if I just bumbled into something massive immediately but I'm gonna lose my shit even harder if it turns out it isn't even a big deal. AHHH

Based on your last few posts, I think you may have already lost your shit :p

Hopefully you haven't discovered a major thing so early on, as it might dispense some of the intrigue and discovery you may have otherwise experienced. Then again, may be you were just keen enough to notice, and that's a good thing?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh god, I need to sleep. Tomorrow's going to be brutal at this point.

Hit 88 puzzles solved, discovered a lot of very intriguing things.

bombshell

Uh okay so I don't want to post huge spoilers even tagged just in case anyone clicks it on accident but can someone who has beaten the game/gotten pretty far PLEASE PM me because I feel like I just "solved" (for lack of a better word) the game too early and I want someone to confirm or deny that I have/haven't.

I have no idea, but below post sounds like the same as you. Ask him :)

Seriously I have stumbled upon what is seemingly an end state in the game within ten minutes. I don't know what I can even say. Its a huge spoiler. I mean HUGE. Should I even post it in spoiler tags?

47 panels solved. Calling it a night, I mean morning.

Cool game. I feel a bit overwhelmed though. Like there are so many puzzles and the island is kinda huge. Guess I'm gonna stick to one area for as long as I can so as to avoid going nuts.

How do we check the amount of panels solved?

How long have you been playing, or panels solved?

Not long, but I guess that's sort of meaningless since the game is so open ended.

Based on your last few posts, I think you may have already lost your shit :p

Hopefully you haven't discovered a major thing so early on, as it might dispense some of the intrigue and discovery you may have otherwise experienced. Then again, may be you were just keen enough to notice, and that's a good thing?

That's what I'm worried about. I don't know how I'm gonna feel if I waited this long for the game only to walk right into something major entirely on accident. On the other hand it's cool the game is making me feel this way and I'm sure I'm overreacting, BUT

Im feeling a little bit o motin sickness, and I basically never feel like this with games. I feel like the camera isnt on the same pace as your movement. Anyone feeling like this?
]
God damn it. About to start playing but this was my biggest fear. Even posted on it yesterday. Unfinished Swan made me so ill, now I'm having a feeling this will do the same.

SomTervo

Great!

PSN suddenly doesn't want to accept my card that has been on there for over a year. Just as I was really excited to buy this game.

This just happened to me too. Trying to figure out what's wrong as it's definitely not my card, and my details are correct. Weird.

The same thing happened to me 6 months ago.

On PSN, if you try change card details multiple times in quick succession, or make too many purchases quickly, PSN deems your card a 'risk' and locks it off their system for 5 working days.

There is nothing you can do.

They won't unlock it.

If you try to change your card details again, the 5-working-day fraud check sequence starts again.

Basically buy an Amazon or CDkeys.com voucher. Just as fast, often cheaper than full value, and very secure. I now make 95% of my PSN purchases using vouchers like this, since I had the same thing happen to me. You get the code right there in your browser. It's really fast.

Top Bottom