• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

protonion

It's not a flaw.

The propeller-looking symbol must cancel out exactly one mistake in the region it is surrounded by.

In the first image, there are no mistakes -- two stars are paired together.

In the bottom image, there are three red stars grouped together -- one extra. That one is incorrect, thus it gets cancelled out and the puzzle is solved.

But the first image IS a mistake (it is not a solution)

Two shapes plus same colour propeller= error
But that is not the case with the second image. There are two errors in there. One orange and one purple shape. The game flashes red only the orange and delets one. The purple should flash red too like in the first image.

Alastor3

I feel so stupid playing that game...always got stuck in the middle or just after some tutorial parts... especially that little three-white-line puzzle, can't figure out the mecanic or that shadow tree branch

can anyone hint me with the little three-white-line puzzle tutorial? im at the end of the tutorial but still dont know the mecanic

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Holy shit I hated the later tree shadow puzzles, I eventually said fuck it and looked the last ones up. Only time I've cheated so far.

Amazing how differently everyone's brain works. I nailed all of those immediately. Yet, for some reason, I STILL can't figure out the desert and why I got the first one to work and it took me forever to figure out the three-point sawmill ones.

Currently working my way through the tree house area, and I came across one that I have no idea how to solve. I even resorted to just trying various solutions, but no luck.

The puzzle in question: http://i.imgur.com/lg7bQdJ.jpg

I don't want a solution or a hint, I just want to know if I should know what to do with
a single 8-point star
. Am I missing a rule, a hint, something obvious, or what?

jett

D-Member
But the first image IS a mistake (it is not a solution)

But that is not the case with the second image. There are two errors in there. One orange and one purple shape. The game flashes red only the orange and delets one. The purple should flash red too like in the first image.

The helix is deleting a red star along with itself, leaving two purple stars and two red stars. The game is showing you where the mistake is and where the helix is acting, and the mistake is in having three red stars together.

Menome

I have to ashamedly admit I cheated my way through the entire Jungle section. Although for good reason:
The puzzles there are all based on sounds. I have a hearing difficulty which makes it hard for me to pick out tiny individual sounds like it's asking me to.

Completed the Greenhouse in twenty minutes though, that was far easier than I'd been led to believe.

Bowlie

Banned

Before the three-pointed figure acts as a "purple shape", it acts as an eliminator. It sees the additional orange shape in its area and eliminates it and itself, leaving you with two "purple shapes" and two "orange shapes", which is correct.

StaSeb

Currently working my way through the tree house area, and I came across one that I have no idea how to solve. I even resorted to just trying various solutions, but no luck.

I don't want a solution or a hint, I just want to know if I should know what to do with
a single 8-point star

If I recall it correctly, you should know it or at least have an idea that you can test out without too much of a problem.

giapel

a single 8-point star

Do you think you know the exact rule for that particular shape? Maybe go back to the tutorial panels.

Bydobob

OK... I don't want a hint... just tell me... is this puzzle actually possible "as is" or is it some bullshit where I have to throw another switch somewhere that changes the game board...

These pictures make me want to throw in the towel, the ones I'm stuck on are frightfully simple in comparison. Do people stay in the same area until they've solved the puzzle? I think I'm paying for all my wandering around, by the time I return to a puzzle I've forgotten what I've already tried. It's a terribly inefficient way to play this game but the only way to keep my sanity.

These pictures make me want to throw in the towel, the ones I'm stuck on are frightfully simple in comparison. Do people stay in the same area until they've solved the puzzle? I think I'm paying for all my wandering around, by the time I return to a puzzle I've forgotten what I've already tried. It's a terribly inefficient way to play this game but the only way to keep my sanity.

When I got stuck in a puzzle for more than a couple of minutes, either I left somewhere else or just stopped playing for five or ten minutes.

protonion

Before the three-pointed figure acts as a "purple shape", it acts as an eliminator. It sees the additional orange shape in its area and eliminates it and itself, leaving you with two "purple shapes" and two "orange shapes", which is correct.

OK that solves the issue I'm having. Thanks! That's a difficult rule to get...

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at the endgame but my will to keep going is being eroded with each of these obnoxious puzzles here... someone tell me it's worth it (or not)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I will run into apparent deadlocks, e.g. the bay area where you do two-color double line puzzles. I can't reach the highest plateau. Should I just treat this as a metroid-vaniai~iish temporary lock, move on and expect shit to figure itself out later on? Or is my mind failing me ONCE AGAIN aaaaaaaaaaagh

Do you think you know the exact rule for that particular shape? Maybe go back to the tutorial panels.

In every other puzzle I've seen, there's been an even number of that symbol on the board. I just went back at looked at every puzzle I've seen with it (all in the treehouse area). What I know so far [mostly typing this out for my benefit]:
They must be in groups of two of the same color. It's okay for them to be in the same section as a differently colored pair. They cannot be in the same area as a same-colored rounded-square symbols (which means it is fine for white stars to be with black squares).

If I recall it correctly, you should know it or at least have an idea that you can test out without too much of a problem.

hm, thanks. I guess I'll just have to leave it for now. I tried out everything thought had even the slightest change of working.

Question on the challenge, just to get a sense of how close I am:

How many puzzles do I need to do in the final maze? I know there's at least two, but that's as far as I got last night. I'm guessing three?

*Splinter

How many puzzles do I need to do in the final maze? I know there's at least two, but that's as far as I got last night. I'm guessing three?
Answer:

Bonus hint:
The maze is randomised each time, but look for a hint to its layout earlier in your run

I've been exploring pretty close to the ones I'm stuck on. I've found that giving it a couple of minutes rest really helps with solving some of the harder ones.

shiba5

The 3rd puzzle is a map of the maze - so two.

I'm at the endgame but my will to keep going is being eroded with each of these obnoxious puzzles here... someone tell me it's worth it (or not)

Yeah I reaaaally didn't like a lot of the endgame puzzles. So much of it is just taking puzzles mechanics I already know and making them obnoxious to complete. It was like the video game equivalent of trying to draw a line through a maze while someone is physically shaking you.

This is this game/Jonathan Blow in a nutshell.

mHBVCJ1.jpg

Bydobob

When I got stuck in a puzzle for more than a couple of minutes, either I left somewhere else or just stopped playing for five or ten minutes.

I've been exploring pretty close to the ones I'm stuck on. I've found that giving it a couple of minutes rest really helps with solving some of the harder ones.

Thanks, will try and take on board the advice. At the moment my frequent excursions in the boat probably stretch the "exploring pretty close" part.

Blizzard

Banned
From the audio logs and game design, it definitely seems Blow intended people to wander around. If you get stuck on a puzzle, doing other areas is the best way to keep learning and not become frustrated, and can be more rewarding than getting hints / solutions and grinding each area one by one.

In my opinion, of course!

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah I reaaaally didn't like a lot of the endgame puzzles. So much of it is just taking puzzles mechanics I already know and making them obnoxious to complete. It was like the video game equivalent of trying to draw a line through a maze while someone is physically shaking you.
One of the later areas did have some clever mechanics on some puzzles, but I disliked the ones you mentioned. They were difficult not because of the puzzles themselves, but because the puzzles were intentionally made hard even to see. It felt like a bit of unnecessary padding that marred otherwise good design.

*edit* Double post of shaaaaame.

Crispy

In every other puzzle I've seen, there's been an even number of that symbol on the board. I just went back at looked at every puzzle I've seen with it (all in the treehouse area). What I know so far [mostly typing this out for my benefit]:
They must be in groups of two of the same color. It's okay for them to be in the same section as a differently colored pair. They cannot be in the same area as a same-colored rounded-square symbols (which means it is fine for white stars to be with black squares).

hm, thanks. I guess I'll just have to leave it for now. I tried out everything thought had even the slightest change of working.

I found those were really difficult puzzles, there is one puzzle later on in that sequence, which for me didn't make any sense. I just drew the line 'for the lulz' and ended up completing it. When I look back at that one, I still don't fully understand it, as in my understanding of the rules, it contradicts them.

Tsosie

11 of 11 zones and endgame done. At about +5 when I stopped last night. I have to ask, what is this
challenge
that I see some people talking about? Am I close based on what I have completed?

mclem

If I'm understanding you correctly, one of your believed rules for the symbol is incorrect.

In general, if you've got that many factors and aspects listed, you've probably got the wrong end of the stick; all the rules are very simple at heart.

Ok, so I've finished
symmetry, keep and desert ruin. After noticing that the desert ruin wasn't aimed at the mountain (and before I went to the small town and changed the mirror so it's pointing at the mountain), I went back to the underground ruins and noticed orange lines underneath the elevator. I traced it (successfully, I believe), and it started glowing, and some sort of orange aura went outside. Any idea what this is? Also, is this in the other lasers?

Sulik2

I'm finding it very annoying once I understand a puzzle concept having to bash out the solution. I've done this three or four times, why are there eight more puzzles that are simply difficult to figure out?
The tetris puzzles, I know what to do, its just not fun to solve so I am looking them up.

Wok

Ok, so I've finished
symmetry, keep and desert ruin. After noticing that the desert ruin wasn't aimed at the mountain (and before I went to the small town and changed the mirror so it's pointing at the mountain), I went back to the underground ruins and noticed orange lines underneath the elevator. I traced it (successfully, I believe), and it started glowing, and some sort of orange aura went outside. Any idea what this is? Also, is this in the other lasers?

You have discovered a secret. Now go on playing an do not ask question... until...

I'm finding it very annoying once I understand a puzzle concept having to bash out the solution. I've done this three or four times, why are there eight more puzzles that are simply difficult to figure out?
The tetris puzzles, I know what to do, its just not fun to solve so I am looking them up.

Why does a computer game get harder the further you progress?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That room in a basement in the town, where you have to
solve two panels correctly lit by red, green and blue light simultaneously, is killing me. Well, I did the "easy" one with just black and white squares, but the one with pair symbols, maaan. I sort of cheated by photographing the boards in all colors so I could at least see them simultaneously, but it's still SO HARD. I don't know, am I thinking about it wrong? Should I somehow be trying to see it as one solution instead of three that have to work with a single line?

Tobinishi

Just a quick question, as I don't want to spoil me by reading guides, etc but where can I find the
Tetris puzzle "tutorials"?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just a quick question, as I don't want to spoil me by reading guides, etc but where can I find the

Treehouses?
I think. Have you found
the boat? The map has hints for what is taught where.

Edit: Actually, it's not there I think. Can't remember!

Exuro

That room in a basement in the town, where you have to
solve two panels correctly lit by red, green and blue light simultaneously, is killing me. Well, I did the "easy" one with just black and white squares, but the one with pair symbols, maaan. I sort of cheated by photographing the boards in all colors so I could at least see them simultaneously, but it's still SO HARD. I don't know, am I thinking about it wrong? Should I somehow be trying to see it as one solution instead of three that have to work with a single line?
That's not cheating. I did the same thing. Once you have each rgb image you should be able to determine which tiles have the same square/star color and which don't and then solve it like a regular puzzle.

Swamp, which is the place with pools of different colored water.

cyba89

You know not what to do when you need to trial and error the solution. You might know the rules, but not how to solve these puzzles efficiently. And you will never learn when you just look up solutions.

gazele

Banned

I'm stuck on the same puzzle, can't seem to figure it out, I guess we're both misinterpreting the rules

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's not cheating. I did the same thing. Once you have each rgb image you should be able to determine which tiles have the same square/star color and which don't and then solve it like a regular puzzle.

Swamp, which is the place with pools of different colored water.

But
different squares are "wrong" in different colors.

Top Bottom