• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

DedValve

Banned
I'm gonna lose my shit if I just bumbled into something massive immediately but I'm gonna lose my shit even harder if it turns out it isn't even a big deal. AHHH

For you the "final" puzzle was the greatest achievement of your life. But for this game, it was merely the tutorial.

Almost done with Dark Souls 2 then this seems like a great change of pace since I've been meaning to play more puzzle games.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
quick question: does a panel stay "solved" if you mess with it after it triggers whatever it's supposed to do?

i'm very early but i solved a panel and then messed with it. it moved and is going to be tough to "re-solve" now but i want it to count in my total panels solved numbers

thanks! this work day is gonna go by soooo slowww

Tsosie

Just woke up and purchased this on PSN. Had to support Mr. Blow on day one. Sadly, I will probably not get to start playing until this weekend. Gorram responsibilities.

Mistle

Not long, but I guess that's sort of meaningless since the game is so open ended.

That's what I'm worried about. I don't know how I'm gonna feel if I waited this long for the game only to walk right into something major entirely on accident. On the other hand it's cool the game is making me feel this way and I'm sure I'm overreacting, BUT
Do you mean you accidentally solved some final puzzle, or the game glitched or something? How could it be possible to just stumble upon such potentially huge spoilers?

SomTervo

Re-posting for the guys on the last page who might not see this:

Great!

PSN suddenly doesn't want to accept my card that has been on there for over a year. Just as I was really excited to buy this game.

This just happened to me too. Trying to figure out what's wrong as it's definitely not my card, and my details are correct. Weird.

The same thing happened to me 6 months ago.

On PSN, if you try change card details multiple times in quick succession, or make too many purchases quickly, PSN deems your card a 'risk' and locks it off their system for 5 working days.

There is nothing you can do.

They won't unlock it.

If you try to change your card details again, the 5-working-day fraud check sequence resets. So if, at the end of the week, you fancied trying it again, you'd still fail (even if your details are 100% correct) and you'd have to wait another 6 working days to use the card again.

Basically buy an Amazon or CDkeys.com voucher. Just as fast, often cheaper than full value, and very secure. I now make 95% of my PSN purchases using vouchers like this, since I had the same thing happen to me. You get the code right there in your browser. It's really fast.

skynidas

Banned
so I've just bought it but how hard are the puzzles? Debating whether I wanna look like a fool on my stream...

i started doing a stream but stopped because i got stuck in a puzzle for like 5 minutes and didn't want to look bad haha. also i don't know how people would enjoy watching that

Arcipello

so its out in 5 hours or so on steam here in the UK...ive purchased it but i dont seem to be able to pre-load it.... is this normal???

papo

No pre-loading and this game didn't release at 12 in no time zone? I couldn't even leave it downloading this morning WTH

quick question: does a panel stay "solved" if you mess with it after it triggers whatever it's supposed to do?

i'm very early but i solved a panel and then messed with it. it moved and is going to be tough to "re-solve" now but i want it to count in my total panels solved numbers

thanks! this work day is gonna go by soooo slowww

I believe so as things stay unlocked,
in fact one early puzzle had two solutions, one for the loch another for something else

-GJ-

In the least spoilery way possible; how did you find 'it'? Did you solve a seemingly hard puzzle that you shouldn't be able to solve that early on? Or did you stumble upon it on accident? Can you still continue to play after 'it' or what? I don't think the ending of the game will be hidden behind just a puzzle. Didn't you need to
solve more than half of the puzzle sections to get to the end game
?

I just purchased it and started the remote download to my PS4 from work. I can't wait to get home and start playing.

I was really debating PS4 vs PC, but my PS4 is a lot easier to pick up and play and 1080/60 is perfect. I'll pick up on Steam on sale some day if the maxed out settings add much.

early game maybe 65 panels done so far but I'll spoiler this
did something that i thought would be big and have consequences and well... nothing hahaha

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
so its out in 5 hours or so on steam here in the UK...ive purchased it but i dont seem to be able to pre-load it.... is this normal???

Blow said he'd look into setting up the Steam pre-load but must have forgotten to do so. The game's only a few gigs, though.

In the least spoilery way possible; how did you find 'it'? Did you solve a seemingly hard puzzle that you shouldn't be able to solve that early on? Or did you stumble upon it on accident? Can you still continue to play after 'it' or what? I don't think the ending of the game will be hidden behind just a puzzle. Didn't you need to
solve more than half of the puzzle sections to get to the end game
?

I will be as vague as possible here but I will still tag it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not click this unless you've played the game or are morbidly curious:

I figured something out very early on. It took me somewhere that felt very "end game."

derwalde

Going in 100% blind. Didnt watch a single trailer. All i know is that it's supposedly a puzzle game from the maker of braid. Downloading right now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I need to go to bed, but I 'finished' three areas (not spoilers, just trophy names that are extraordinarily non-specific)
Symmetry, Bunker and Shady Trees

I'd have kept playing if I didn't have work tomorrow. Beautiful game. I'm still at the point where the puzzles are kinda cute rather than devious, particularly in the latter of the three areas. The variety is very impressive and the audio log equivalents caught me completely off guard. Love it.

Just starting, only a few minutes in. Just leaving the very first energy door thing. Pure, 100% speculation, but I'll tag just in case: I'm guessing something cool later on will involve
pressing the Start button, and the fading "after image" you see in the background.

Nightz

Semi Witness related question...

I have 2 PS4s and want to download the game on both. I purchased it on the website and started remote downloading it to my primary PS4. Can I turn on my second PS4 now and have it download at the same time? Or will it stop the primary's download?

Re-posting for the guys on the last page who might not see this:

The same thing happened to me 6 months ago.

On PSN, if you try change card details multiple times in quick succession, or make too many purchases quickly, PSN deems your card a 'risk' and locks it off their system for 5 working days.

There is nothing you can do.

They won't unlock it.

If you try to change your card details again, the 5-working-day fraud check sequence resets. So if, at the end of the week, you fancied trying it again, you'd still fail (even if your details are 100% correct) and you'd have to wait another 6 working days to use the card again.

Basically buy an Amazon or CDkeys.com voucher. Just as fast, often cheaper than full value, and very secure. I now make 95% of my PSN purchases using vouchers like this, since I had the same thing happen to me. You get the code right there in your browser. It's really fast.

Thanks, that might be it. I made a purchase a couple of days ago and I think it tried to renew my PS+ subscription around the same time (which apparently failed) so maybe that triggered it; I've "changed" my details again today (they were correct to begin with) so I guess I'll just wait a week and try again later.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That ruin desert puzzle sure is amazing but also damn difficult after the 3rd panel. I can not for the life of me figure out the correct pattern.

I couldn't even find the entry as I walked by after Symmetry, so on I walked...

-GJ-

I will be as vague as possible here but I will still tag it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not click this unless you've played the game or are morbidly curious:

I figured something out very early on. It took me somewhere that felt very "end game."
So I guess
you can sequence break
this game then.

I can't help but feel however that Johnathan is taking you for a loop.

Nice had £20 in my wallet from Christmas so only spend a tenner....

can't wait to delve into the Witness, gonna try not read solutions on here however

F311

Does anyone have some sort of quick guide that shows what the aim of some of the puzzles are? im just mindless moving around not knowing what does what.

SomTervo

Thanks, that might be it. I made a purchase a couple of days ago and I think it tried to renew my PS+ subscription around the same time (which apparently failed) so maybe that triggered it; I've "changed" my details again today (they were correct to begin with) so I guess I'll just wait a week and try again later.

Yeah, probably it, I remember mine started kicking off when the PS+ subscription renewal was mucking about.

If you're jonesing for the game, definitely just go to Amazon, search for 'PSN Card' and pick the value you want. Takes a split second to buy, then the code shows up on your screen. It's really fast and, tbh, safer than having your card details on your PS4.

How do I quit? Just turn off PS4?

What a surreal question. (From an outsider's perspective :p I'll be getting the game next month)

Does anyone have some sort of quick guide that shows what the aim of some of the puzzles are? im just mindless moving around not knowing what does what.

I don't have the game - but you'll find out. There is story content in the game, you just need to find it. It's all one big mystery.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Trying to figure out the rules of some of the simple early ones is confusing me - anyone care to help? First spoiler is tiny for anyone that has played for 30 mins or so - second spoiler is the question
you get panels with white and black squares which I think I've roughly figured out.

nut then you get different colours like pink and pale green, and I can't figure out the rules for those. In the greenhouse there is a 'tutorial' panel and I can get through several of them, but then the last one stumps me. Seemed to be affected by how many times each colour is passed by a line and total of pink vs green but I can't find a rule that sticks.

Also loving some of the little touches. Early on In the
temple, when you're trying to do the puzzle around the bonsai tree, when you're in the right position to see enough of it, it lines up with the engraving othe wall outside fitting in a hole in the wall
. Although I am also stuck after that, at the
screen panels in the garden. I think maybe it has to do with the leaves on the floor but maybe I have to open those shutters first ?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
How do I quit? Just turn off PS4?

yeah, it seems to save on every puzzle completion.

I like that it doesn't bother with the typical "don't turn off your console when this symbol appears" stuff.

Trying to figure out the rules of some of the simple early ones is confusing me - anyone care to help? First spoiler is tiny for anyone that has played for 30 mins or so - second spoiler is the question
you get panels with white and black squares which I think I've roughly figured out.

nut then you get different colours like pink and pale green, and I can't figure out the rules for those. In the greenhouse there is a 'tutorial' panel and I can get through several of them, but then the last one stumps me. Seemed to be affected by how many times each colour is passed by a line and total of pink vs green but I can't find a rule that sticks.

Also loving some of the little touches. Early on In the
temple, when you're trying to do the puzzle around the bonsai tree, when you're in the right position to see enough of it, it lines up with the engraving othe wall outside fitting in a hole in the wall
. Although I am also stuck after that, at the
screen panels in the garden. I think maybe it has to do with the leaves on the floor but maybe I have to open those shutters first ?

Greenhouse/bunker spoilers
You're on the right track re the black/white stuff. The extra colors are just an extension of the concept, except rather than making two groups... Also, not relevant to you right at this second, but always remember: pay attention to the environment. :)

bombshell

Semi Witness related question...

I have 2 PS4s and want to download the game on both. I purchased it on the website and started remote downloading it to my primary PS4. Can I turn on my second PS4 now and have it download at the same time? Or will it stop the primary's download?

You can download from both simultaneously, just log out of the primary first, then log in on the secondary to iniate the download from your account.

Putty

When you do a puzzle, do it disappear or something like that? Basically is it easy to see which puzzle has been completed?

Woke up, added The Witness and Driveclub + Season Pass to my cart. Used the 20% off coupon, and got both for $48.

Good day! This is after trading my Physical Driveclub in at Gamestop yesterday for over $20 (they are doing a 50% trade in).

Cannot wait to give the Witness a go this afternoon after work. Hopefully it doesn't mess with my mind too much!

Well.. Shit. I am stuck at that desert ruin puzzle.

I can not figure what pattern I have to draw. I got the middle one out of the top 3, but the one's on the sides seem to be impossible.

Are they somehow linked to the drawing in the sand?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mild environment spoilers, no puzzle spoilers. Relating to the bunker area.

Stepping out into the sunlight after spending so much time under colored light actually felt refreshing. The way the lights affected color is those rooms was incredibly beautiful but over time, wow.
Well.. Shit. I am stuck at that desert ruin puzzle.

I can not figure what pattern I have to draw. I got the middle one out of the top 3, but the one's on the sides seem to be impossible.

Are they somehow linked to the drawing in the sand?

I'm not there yet, but fwiw, my strategy that works most of the time is to prune out paths you definitely can not take and paths you absolutely must take. If ever this process reveals that the puzzle is unwinnable, then it's time to reconsider the approach or step away from the panel.

Top Bottom