• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

I am a bit lost with this panel in the mill section.
It is a 3 up, 7 across panel with 3 tetris pieces in the centre column, from top to bottom they are; one vertical 3 block line piece, then two horizontal 3 block pieces below. There is also a purple star in the top right corner, and a upside down white Y in the bottom left corner. Any hints at what to do?

Inkwell

Banned

THANK YOU! I could swear I looked there too! I now have some peace of mind and can be finished with the game (until someone discovers a brand new secret).

By the way, not sure if this is a spoiler or not, but I noticed something.
There's both white and yellow flowers in the lake, as well as white and yellow/orange tape recorders. The thing is, the corresponding colors do not always match. There's white flowers for orange recorders and yellow flowers for white ones. It probably doesn't mean anything. I can see doing white and yellow flowers in the lake to make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing, but texturing a 2nd tape recorder seems like a strange waste of time. It could simply be a remnant of something earlier in development.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So I guess I'm doing "the challenge" now (
I've lit all the lasers and solved the stone guy's tablet, and maaan are there many puzzles to solve in here
). Why is everyone calling it that, though? Haven't seen any reference to that name in the game.

Kalor

I've lit all the lasers and solved the stone guy's tablet, and maaan are there many puzzles to solve in here
). Why is everyone calling it that, though? Haven't seen any reference to that name in the game.

There is an achievement that refers to completing the "challenge".

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I am a bit lost with this panel in the mill section.
It is a 3 up, 7 across panel with 3 tetris pieces in the centre column, from top to bottom they are; one vertical 3 block line piece, then two horizontal 3 block pieces below. There is also a purple star in the top right corner, and a upside down white Y in the bottom left corner. Any hints at what to do?

If you haven't done the tutorial for "upside-down Ys" you're not gonna be able to figure that one out yet.

There is an achievement that refers to completing the "challenge".

Hmm, OK. Everyone seems to be calling it that while they're still doing it though. Guess they just got it from someone else then, like me.

thefil

Yeah. The Desert was the least fun of all areas.

I found 75% of the desert un-fun when I was just
moving around at random
to try and solve them. Once they got hard I started actually thinking about
where the light would be most reflected by the panel to my eyes
and enjoyed the back 25% more.

Sulik2

If you don't learn the concepts you will be forced to look up a largeness majority of future puzzles.

You might as well just stop playing honestly. Game is very thin unless you solve the puzzles on your own.

To clarify my complaint, once I understand the concept and solved a few I'm ready to move on, but can't. Instead I'm still using the cut outs
of tetris pieces I made and am fitting them together to solve a puzzle.
Thats fun a couple of times, then the novelty wears off. I think the Witness could have used some editing on the amount of puzzles in it, past a certain point variations on the theme start to get boring.

The issue might be compounded by my nausea when playing the game, I can only play in thirty minute spurts and solving the same puzzle theme over and over is drudgery at that point.

Hi all. Im stuck in the Desert. The top 3 panels. Have no idea what to do. I managed to get the middle one easily enough but can't seem to find the right angle for the left and right one. Any tips please?

Otherwise I'm having a blast +23 puzzles solved

If you haven't done the tutorial for "upside-down Ys" you're not gonna be able to figure that one out yet.

I have done it, and know they cancel out other symbols, but if I only get to cancel one other piece out, I am assuming it needs to be the purple sun, but I don't get how to do that since the vertical 3 block line will block the upside down Y and the red sun.
:S

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have done it, and know they cancel out other symbols, but if I only get to cancel one other piece out, I am assuming it needs to be the purple sun, but I don't get how to do that since the vertical 3 block line will block the upside down Y and the red sun.
:S

Do you fully understand the rules for
the stars? What they can pair up with, etc
?

lionpants

Hi all. Im stuck in the Desert. The top 3 panels. Have no idea what to do. I managed to get the middle one easily enough but can't seem to find the right angle for the left and right one. Any tips please?

Otherwise I'm having a blast +23 puzzles solved
There's more than one set of stairs in that area.

To clarify my complaint, once I understand the concept and solved a few I'm ready to move on, but can't. Instead I'm still using the cut outs
of tetris pieces I made and am fitting them together to solve a puzzle.
Thats fun a couple of times, then the novelty wears off. I think the Witness could have used some editing on the amount of puzzles in it, past a certain point variations on the theme start to get boring.

The issue might be compounded by my nausea when playing the game, I can only play in thirty minute spurts and solving the same puzzle theme over and over is drudgery at that point.

I'm not sure the problem is the game, so much as you? It sounds like you just don't like puzzle games. For me, and most people here who enjoy puzzle games, the fun is in solving puzzles, be that variations on the same mechanics or new mechanics entirely. The more puzzles the better - it's a puzzle game after all.

Saying you're "ready to move on" after solving a few easy puzzles would suggest you'd be happy to remove the entire "hard" end of the spectrum, but the easy puzzles are only there to teach you the mechanics and aren't where the challenge is. Removing the hard stuff or removing the easy stuff would make the game range from incredibly unsatisfying to near-impossible, it's designed how it's designed for a reason, it's not just thrown together.

That's not The Challenge. You're very close to it though, and you'll know it when you see it. Once you complete it (hah!), you'll get a trophy/achievement with that name.

KevinCow

Banned
It occurs to me that this game is sort of a Metroidvania. Only instead of your character getting upgrades that let you progress elsewhere, it's you, the player, upgrading your knowledge of the game's puzzles that lets you progress elsewhere.

It occurs to me that this game is sort of a Metroidvania. Only instead of your character getting upgrades that let you progress elsewhere, it's you, the player, upgrading your knowledge of the game's puzzles that lets you progress elsewhere.
It really is.

I have to ask, how are people opening these. I am only +5, 11/11 areas, no challenge, so I know I have a ways to go, but am I missing something significant? Hints appreciated, trying to avoid direct answers, but I am just so confused when I see these pictures.
Not everything has only one solution.

Giant Bomb called it that too, in either a podcast or the Quick Look.

If that's interesting to you, check out Toki Tori 2+. This is the first game I've ever heard of that prominently uses the idea of "knowledge-based Metroidvania." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=084BUNlI7Gk

Wok

THANK YOU! I could swear I looked there too! I now have some peace of mind and can be finished with the game (until someone discovers a brand new secret).

There's both white and yellow flowers in the lake, as well as white and yellow/orange tape recorders. The thing is, the corresponding colors do not always match. There's white flowers for orange recorders and yellow flowers for white ones. It probably doesn't mean anything. I can see doing white and yellow flowers in the lake to make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing, but texturing a 2nd tape recorder seems like a strange waste of time. It could simply be a remnant of something earlier in development.

No problem. You helped me find the last panel.

Struct09

Just finished it and what a ride. I have all the trophies except the really hard one but I need to give my brain a break before attempting it :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's where you find it, but that's not The Challenge as I said. Once you actually find it, you won't have to ask whether or not that's actually it.

Ok. And you have to
complete it to get the non-pointless ending, right? Because I've used the elevator at several points now (at 7 lasers, 11 lasers, etc), and it's always just the "welp, guess you've gotta do it all over again!" ending. Did those reviewers talking about some amazing THING really do it all? I'm impressed.

GhaleonEB

Does anyone have a link to the Twitch stream Jonathan Blow did when the Witness came out? I've seen reference to the Q&A he did at the time, but haven't had time to listen to it until now. Naturally, I can't find it, but I'm hoping it was archived somewhere.

Ok. And you have to
complete it to get the non-pointless ending, right? Because I've used the elevator at several points now (at 7 lasers, 11 lasers, etc), and it's always just the "welp, guess you've gotta do it all over again!" ending. Did those reviewers talking about some amazing THING really do it all? I'm impressed.

You don't have to complete the challenge to get the other ending.

And don't take the elevator anymore. One of the audio logs in the caves is actually hinting at this.

Does anyone have a link to the Twitch stream Jonathan Blow did when the Witness came out? I've seen reference to the Q&A he did at the time, but haven't had time to listen to it until now. Naturally, I can't find it, but I'm hoping it was archived somewhere.

http://www.twitch.tv/naysayer88/v/37790832

Somebody should remind him to archive it to Youtube, since IIRC Twitch will auto-delete it in another week?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Warning! You can fall out of the boat!

I was puttering around getting some +1s, and walked out of the boat near symmetry. I thought it was cool at first, but I couldn't do anything to get back to land or back in the boat so I had to reload an old save from before
the challenge. Luckily I got through it on my third try and am back up to the numbers I was at before, but it was annoying.

*Splinter

I've noticed that yellow flowers seem to correspond to recordings that
break kayfabe

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You don't have to complete the challenge to get the other ending.

And don't take the elevator anymore. One of the audio logs in the caves is actually hinting at this.

Hmm, there was the one about
not taking a voyage but instead casting yourself into the sea. But I don't know how to do that! Can't do it by the elevator at least.

Kaiken

Banned
Hmm, there was the one about
not taking a voyage but instead casting yourself into the sea. But I don't know how to do that! Can't do it by the elevator at least.

Don't think you made just that far yet. Very close though.

Hint:
Has nothing to do with the elevator.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I learned that I'm really bad at flipping images in my head... I'd really rather not have to start taking screenshots and manipulating images as that really just seems akin to looking up the solution online.

I learned that I'm really bad at flipping images in my head... I'd really rather not have to start taking screenshots and manipulating images as that really just seems akin to looking up the solution online.

I did this the whole game and didn't flinch at all. I equate this to taking notes during a test. I felt no qualms about taking out a piece of paper to draw a graph during the SATs, and I have no qualms about it now. Sometimes there's just too much shit to remember and mold it all clearly in your head.

Top Bottom