• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Okay, the Treehouse / Suns make no sense to me.

The suns seem to cancel each other out, and therefore "disappear" and not affect any color groupings, even if they don't match with the squares that they're segmented with. They also seem to be able to match with opposing colors, in some situations? Its like every panel handles the rules of the suns differently.

You're misunderstanding what happens when the suns are placed with other suns.

Pick a puzzle and try out different combinations of groupings (without attempting to complete the full puzzle) and see if you can deduce the conditions under which the suns are considered to have been properly grouped.

Mindlog

Now my second save file is glitched, im in the yellow side with no blue path.

I'm done, im not going to start a new game :(

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd....3_10156490083455402_3085499813674270344_o.jpg

How can i report this to Blow?
You can do it both ways. I accidentally did the same thing and thought I doomed myself. After beating the game I redid that whole area for... reasons.

Since that happened just recently I'm looking at that picture right now and I see the solutions.
Hint
It's going to take a few trips.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Is the 667 puzzles number
(probably being needlessly vague here) the sum of the two numbers in the load game dialog? Or is it just the first?

Ostinatto

You can do it both ways. I accidentally did the same thing and thought I doomed myself. After beating the game I redid that whole area for... reasons.

Since that happened just recently I'm looking at that picture right now and I see the solutions.
Hint

a few trips back, you mean the mountain entrance?

Artanisix

yi80bdh.png

this fkin game is too much

Hint

He's right, you only need a trip to blue an a second trip to yellow. It's entirely possible.

a few trips back, you mean the mountain entrance?

Nope, trips between colors.

Fhtagn

I think I've burnt out on this game, after 365 panels +23.

Or I've just run into design decisions I think are poor.

The
overlapping sound
related puzzles are really bad. There's no clear way to tell which is the solution and the worst ones are all fail back to the previous panel. I had to look up the answers for a couple after trying very hard to get it done legit and even with the answers on some of them, aligning the answer with what the game is offering as a clue does not align in any way that I can reliably discern.

And
audio
is my main passion in life! These just seem like they were too afraid that these'd be too easy to solve and went overboard in obscuring the solution.

Second main gripe: some of
perspective
puzzles are way too precise for how jerky the controls are, on ps4 at least. The right trigger should offer a slow movement option to address this.

In particular what I find not fun is this desert puzzle:
three floors down, there's a dark room with blue panels and water to raise up and down. The first two panels in the room were stupid easy but the third one is ridiculous. I have looked at it from what seems to be every angle I can find, with it in the up position and the down position, and at this point it really does feel like tedious trial and error instead of being clever about the lighting. I've tried looking at it while the water is moving too, but nope, never catches a reflection that I've seen.
Could be that this panel expects something different than the previous panels (I tried entering an answer based on a pattern I noticed in the previous two panel but that wasn't it.)

I've definitely gotten my money's worth and really like all of the other kinds of puzzles in the game, but now that it's mostly these left, I'm more annoyed than enjoying myself.

aro52

End game question again:

In the timed challenge, I've gotten up to 2 maze room puzzles complete and then timed out looking for another. How many of those do you have to do? And is there anything after that?

I'm not sure i understand how to solve this kind of puzzle:
Little grouped colored sons...

What am i supposed to do? I tried grouping them but it doesnt work. I already cleared the area with the colored big dots. These however look like little suns. Is there a tutorial area i missed about them?

End game question again:

In the timed challenge, I've gotten up to 2 maze room puzzles complete and then timed out looking for another. How many of those do you have to do? And is there anything after that?

Two.
:p

Edit:
Yes, there's something more after that.

Mindlog

End game question again:

More hints that are not really hints
You already know the answer to that question.
Oh and the edit. Answered above.

Question about late game stuff, I think.

Apparently there's a secret in the entry area... how do I access it? The gate is already open of course. Thanks.

Mindlog

I'm not sure i understand how to solve this kind of puzzle:
Little grouped colored sons...

What am i supposed to do? I tried grouping them but it doesnt work. I already cleared the area with the colored big dots. These however look like little suns. Is there a tutorial area i missed about them?
The following spoiler contains a link.
The Boat Map is your guide.
http://i.imgur.com/Ik07LeC.jpg
Have to
start a new game to see that. Hint: The closed gate.
Or
complete the challenge.

I think I've burnt out on this game, after 365 panels +23.

Or I've just run into design decisions I think are poor.

The
overlapping sound
related puzzles are really bad. There's no clear way to tell which is the solution and the worst ones are all fail back to the previous panel. I had to look up the answers for a couple after trying very hard to get it done legit and even with the answers on some of them, aligning the answer with what the game is offering as a clue does not align in any way that I can reliably discern.

And
audio
is my main passion in life! These just seem like they were too afraid that these'd be too easy to solve and went overboard in obscuring the solution.

Second main gripe: some of
perspective
puzzles are way too precise for how jerky the controls are, on ps4 at least. The right trigger should offer a slow movement option to address this.

In particular what I find not fun is this desert puzzle:
three floors down, there's a dark room with blue panels and water to raise up and down. The first two panels in the room were stupid easy but the third one is ridiculous. I have looked at it from what seems to be every angle I can find, with it in the up position and the down position, and at this point it really does feel like tedious trial and error instead of being clever about the lighting. I've tried looking at it while the water is moving too, but nope, never catches a reflection that I've seen.
Could be that this panel expects something different than the previous panels (I tried entering an answer based on a pattern I noticed in the previous two panel but that wasn't it.)

I've definitely gotten my money's worth and really like all of the other kinds of puzzles in the game, but now that it's mostly these left, I'm more annoyed than enjoying myself.

While I'll agree that the
sound puzzles
are some of the weakest in the game, I never found them that hard. Perhaps your passion for this area caused you to focus too hard on superfluous details? The patterns matched up pretty much exactly to
the number of tones for each correct audio clip. The only real "puzzle" in that case was figuring out which audio clip was the correct one.

About your second spoiler:
You can definitely catch the reflection on every panel in that room. It's a bit of trial and error, and IIRC that one in particular only catches while the water is moving (not at top or bottom).

At 365 you're getting close, don't give up now!

Ostinatto

Hint

I've figured it out now. thanks,i was pretty sad tho.

Spoo

Welp GAF, I think my time with The Witness has come to an end at 490
+14

After finishing the game at 7 lasers, I felt really motivated to get back in and finish off the other 4 -- which, surprisingly, didn't take that long, since in one way or another I had already made some headway into those areas (had I not, I wouldn't have been able to deal with the final area of the game). After all that, I challenged myself with, well, the challenge, and it took about 2 days of scattered attempts and finally did it, and also cleared out the area around the challenge -- skipping one or two puzzles.

I used a minimum of hints throughout, and maybe only buckled to 3 or 4 puzzles -- all of which had some really *particular* requirement added to it
(generally perspective- or sound-based)
, so I feel like I also managed to maintain what is great about the game -- the sense of learning how to learn, and building momentum and skill as you go through.

I'm confident enough to say that The Witness is the best puzzle game I've ever played. I don't know if it has the high highs of something like Portal, and it may have more than its fair share of "up its own ass" pretension, but by and large, minute for minute, dollar for dollar, it's an incredibly quality game with a presentation and design that other puzzle games simply haven't matched, even with AAA chops behind them. It's a wonderful product, and Blow should be proud of nearly every inch of it.

Good luck to everyone still working through the game, and don't lose heart on anything! It's worth it.

Welp GAF, I think my time with The Witness has come to an end at 490
+14

After finishing the game at 7 lasers, I felt really motivated to get back in and finish off the other 4 -- which, surprisingly, didn't take that long, since in one way or another I had already made some headway into those areas (had I not, I wouldn't have been able to deal with the final area of the game). After all that, I challenged myself with, well, the challenge, and it took about 2 days of scattered attempts and finally did it, and also cleared out the area around the challenge -- skipping one or two puzzles.

I used a minimum of hints throughout, and maybe only buckled to 3 or 4 puzzles -- all of which had some really *particular* requirement added to it
(generally perspective- or sound-based)
, so I feel like I also managed to maintain what is great about the game -- the sense of learning how to learn, and building momentum and skill as you go through.

I'm confident enough to say that The Witness is the best puzzle game I've ever played. I don't know if it has the high highs of something like Portal, and it may have more than its fair share of "up its own ass" pretension, but by and large, minute for minute, dollar for dollar, it's an incredibly quality game with a presentation and design that other puzzle games simply haven't matched, even with AAA chops behind them. It's a wonderful product, and Blow should be proud of nearly every inch of it.

Good luck to everyone still working through the game, and don't lose heart on anything! It's worth it.

Perfect, I feel the exact same way, I think.

After a few more failed attempts, I'm done for the day. This is just not fun. :/

Ohhh I totally understand that. Took me like... I don't know, 6-8hs in two days to finally beat it. In my case I find the challenge like the crown jewell of an incredible game but I understand that it could be infuriating too, I cursed a lot.

Spoo

After a few more failed attempts, I'm done for the day. This is just not fun. :/

I'll make a recommendation, since I had a lot of trouble on it: turn on your favorite song, and stop *trying* to win the challenge. Just do attempts. Eventually you'll get a really good run or two in, and before you know it... voila.

aro52

Ohhh I totally understand that. Took me like... I don't know, 6-8hs in two days to finally beat it. In my case I find the challenge like the crown jewell of an incredible game but I understand that it could be infuriating too, I cursed a lot.

I'll make a recommendation, since I had a lot of trouble on it: turn on your favorite song, and stop *trying* to win the challenge. Just do attempts. Eventually you'll get a really good run or two in, and before you know it... voila.

Yeah, I turned the game music off after the very first attempt. That achieved its intended consequence of making it worse. I'll get back to it eventually. The Trophy-whore in me won't let this Platinum sneak away!

Edit: End game
Yeah, I thought about changing the music but the music was the thing that helped me notice when I've wasted too much time in puzzles and should reset instead of going forward with it.

Fhtagn

While I'll agree that the
sound puzzles
are some of the weakest in the game, I never found them that hard. Perhaps your passion for this area caused you to focus too hard on superfluous details? The patterns matched up pretty much exactly to
the number of tones for each correct audio clip. The only real "puzzle" in that case was figuring out which audio clip was the correct one.

About your second spoiler:
You can definitely catch the reflection on every panel in that room. It's a bit of trial and error, and IIRC that one in particular only catches while the water is moving (not at top or bottom).

At 365 you're getting close, don't give up now!

I've got 8 lasers but
that puzzle on top of the mountain is another wonky ultra precise perspective puzzle as much as it is anything else and I'm sick of that one having solved 2/3rds of it.

I'll just come back later. I did quite enjoy the latest of the
videos under the windmill that I found. The one about the flow of truths from atoms up to beauty, etc.

Afrodium

Banned
Can someone just straight up tell me regarding the shipwreck
the pitches of the various parts of the ship. For the red door puzzle? I've gotten that the drips go low high medium but everything else I can't pick apart. I think I'm tone deaf. The puzzle is hard enough without guessing what I'm hearing.

This game has some clever puzzles, but I find they tend to run a concept into the ground to the point where it becomes annoying. I was so done with those Desert Ruins.

Can someone just straight up tell me regarding the shipwreck
the pitches of the various parts of the ship. For the red door puzzle? I've gotten that the drips go low high medium but everything else I can't pick apart. I think I'm tone deaf. The puzzle is hard enough without guessing what I'm hearing.

Mid-low-mid-high.

Wozman23

Challenge:
Getting to the pillar puzzles with plenty of time
and failing sucks the life out of me.

Better than running around like a lunatic in the section before that. Out of my countless tries, I've only made it to the last room once and was seconds away from the solution when I ran out of time. I think I'm giving it a break for a while.

Better than running around like a lunatic in the section before that. Out of my countless tries, I've only made it to the last room once and was seconds away from the solution when I ran out of time. I think I'm giving it a break for a while.

There's a trick for the maze.

Grinchy

Banned
This game has some clever puzzles, but I find they tend to run a concept into the ground to the point where it becomes annoying. I was so done with those Desert Ruins.

My least favorite part so far. I just like the puzzles that require you to logically reason them out rather than seeing if you figured out how to stand in the right place. The perspective puzzles are really annoying to me too for the same reason.

Yrael

I found most of the
sound
puzzles in the j
ungle
to be okay-ish, which was a bit surprising to me given that
my auditory processing ability is rubbish...there was one that gave me a lot of difficulty though, and that was the one with the trilling flute (?) paired with bird song (three rapid notes, one long note). I found it hard to distinguish the individual notes of the trill.

I've now finished
lasers
(symmetry, desert, marsh, treehouses, shady trees, monastery, keep, jungle)
...I want to get all of them done before I head to the
mountain

(I never know how much of my post to set as spoilers. >_>)

My least favorite part so far. I just like the puzzles that require you to logically reason them out rather than seeing if you figured out how to stand in the right place. The perspective puzzles are really annoying to me too for the same reason.

Same.

Top Bottom