• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Grinchy

Banned
omfg there's a puzzle at what I assume is pretty much the end of the game with a lot of dots that's making me want to smash my controller through the wall

Trojan

Has anyone figured out the meaning for the
4 floor puzzles in the final caves area? I feel like there's either something else that hasn't been found yet, or Blow specifically made these to fuck with everyone. The loud sound they make is too noticeable to be accidental and the fact they're multi-solution makes the area seem intentional.

Peltz

im really glad that a LOT of people are enjoying this game and thus Mr. Blow hard work and dedication to this project is paying off.

Sadly, didn't find the experience engaging.

There's a certain sense of disjointedness when playing. It's like someone took one of those puzzle maze books and scattered it's pages through out an environment. There's no much cohesion between the puzzles and the setting, at least not in the few ones that i tried. However, im aware in certain cases there is a connection, as a person with more experience with the game pointed it out to me. But those are in the minority.

Maybe my expectations are to fault? i thought this one would workout more like Mist, mysterious setting with a variety of puzzles. Yet, the puzzles in the Witness being mechanically identical is an important aspect that conflicts with my chance to enjoy this work.
I want to answer this without spoiling anything. But I don't really know how.

The environment and puzzles feel very interconnected. The more you play, the more you see how and why.

Crispy

Straight answer, try experimenting with the tutorial before reading:

The blue pieces subtract squares from the shape

Thanks, I got that from the tutorial as well, still can't solve the puzzle...I hope I get to some more of these puzzles in other places, maybe I'll get it then.

w0s

I can't figure out the pink sunstar for the life of me. I even purposefully don't try to solve a puzzle just to see what it wants me to do with them but they still blink red every time.

Can someone explain the rules for the mirror puzzle in the challenge where there are yellow, black, and blue dots? I collect them all but it doesn't work

mulac

Guys -
is there any trick with the Challenge after the endgame...i made it through the entire story ok but this timed puzzle challenge is killing me - spent pretty much all weekend on it and the timing always stops me.

Suggestions?

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Guys -
is there any trick with the Challenge after the endgame...i made it through the entire story ok but this timed puzzle challenge is killing me - spent pretty much all weekend on it and the timing always stops me.

Suggestions?
What part exactly are you stuck on?

523 Panels Done! Fuck. I was stuck on the color puzzle in the secret cave for the longest time. Finally just clicked what to do and knocked it out. Still have a healthy chunk of +'s to do.

But I feel close enough to 100% (or whatever we figure that is at this point) and Firewatch is right around the corner that if I don't get there by the time it drops I'll still feel pretty good leaving the game here. Hell of an experience. My poor brain.

Thanks, Thekla!

Guys -

Suggestions?

Don't be a sucker like me. You know about fast line using R2, right?

I want to answer this without spoiling anything. But I don't really know how.

The environment and puzzles feel very interconnected. The more you play, the more you see how and why.
im not ruling the game out and hopefuly eventually i' ll give another go. However, filling different type of mazes been the main puzzle mechanic doesn't settle well with me.

M3z_

Wait, I thought the idea here was..

RGB binary values? White means that value is on, black means it is off. For example, the top left where you have a red, is R=1,G=0,B=1, for purple, so this is what I came up with. We have the same patterns so that explains how we were both able to solve it but I am curious where your colors are coming from? I couldn't make any sense out of them.

http://i.imgur.com/hU5SbyQ.png
http://i.imgur.com/O5cSbQn.png

The actual colors in my illustration are meaningless. I just figured it out by assigning an arbitrary but consistent color to specific relations and kept it consistent within the puzzle. Ie. if a box showed white on all three colors it got a specific color, if it was black on all 3 colors it was a specific color, a specific color for white on green but black on blue and red, a specific color for white on blue but black on green and red, etc etc.

The actual colors in my illustration are meaningless. I just figured it out by assigning an arbitrary but consistent color to specific relations and kept it consistent within the puzzle. Ie. if a box showed white on all three colors it got a specific color, if it was black on all 3 colors it was a specific color, a specific color for white on green but black on blue and red, a specific color for white on blue but black on green and red, etc etc.

Cool, yeah, makes sense. At first glance I thought you had peered through the void and were observing
colors
on a whole other level or something.

145 puzzles in, just finished
the marsh
area. Some of these
tetris
puzzles gave me a hard time and i still don't know why even after beating them. I mean, I'd swear that for some of them i would find a solution to the puzzle that the game would not accept just because it was not the predetermined solution that the game had as valid.

Like i would create
a shape which included all the necessary tetriminos within the line and it just would not work, so i had to just try all possibilities until i found the one the game wanted
. I somehow hope that is just that i did not know what all the rules were and that just made things more difficult to me because otherwise i call bullshit on these puzzles!

giphy.gif

^^ Sounds like you may not have completely grasped the rule set? My best guess would be:
Trying to rotate tetriminos that you can't?

In any case post a screenshot of what worked and what you expected to work. Easier to explain with an example.

JesseZao

the marsh
area. Some of these
tetris
puzzles gave me a hard time and i still don't know why even after beating them. I mean, I'd swear that for some of them i would find a solution to the puzzle that the game would not accept just because it was not the predetermined solution that the game had as valid.

The only situation where the game would check by specific solution is when you can beat something multiple ways and they would have different outcomes (even then, they'd just add rules to check that). Otherwise, they'd be coded to check rules. You probably just didn't fully understand the puzzle rules.

cilonen

the marsh
area. Some of these
tetris

Like i would create
a shape which included all the necessary tetriminos within the line and it just would not work, so i had to just try all possibilities until i found the one the game wanted
. I somehow hope that is just that i did not know what all the rules were and that just made things more difficult to me because otherwise i call bullshit on these puzzles!

giphy.gif

The tetrominoes are the least fun in the game for me. My brain isn't wired that way. Everything else I've been able to pick up the rules and fly but not those.

the marsh
area. Some of these
tetris

Like i would create

giphy.gif
I'm guessing you just misunderstood a rule. I don't remember ever finding a correct solution that wasn't accepted. If you want to be sure maybe post a picture of what you think should work that doesn't and we can help.

Epcott

Bought this earlier today. Finished the pink tree orchid and became so wrapped up in trying to figure out the door to the windmill basement, I nearly missed the Super Bowl ;-(

I love this game so far :-D

GhaleonEB

the marsh
area. Some of these
tetris

Like i would create

giphy.gif
There are some initially counter intuitive rules with those puzzles, but once you know them, they can be followed reliably. It sounds like you didn't quite grasp some aspect of them, but got through anyways .

Tregard

Soothsayer
You definitely know everything you need to know, it's just a matter of execution. This one definitely took me longer than the rest of the puzzles in that room.

This one is horrible, I can't see it at all.
Would you mind telling me which node you started from?

Mindlog

This one is horrible, I can't see it at all.
Would you mind telling me which node you started from?
Hint:
You can only start at one node.
Correction:
You can only start at two nodes.
Correction:
You can start at any node, but you can only start at one without passing through another.
Correction:
You can start at any node, but choosing one will make it impossible to complete the puzzle.

Top Bottom