• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

jett

D-Member
Thankfully after a week of not playing this thing, I've pretty much stopped seeing patterns on the streets or constantly thinking about this game's damn puzzles. :p I really think it was
the challenge
that broke my brain for a while.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
alright, i spent the entire fucking day trying to do the Challenge, and I
conclude that I'm apparently just too dumb. That's probably okay, I guess, but after coming this far without any guide, and not making any progress on this even with the silly rest mode trick, this is frustrating as fuck and not fun at all anymore. It sucks so bad that all the puzzles are random as all hell, you can have one run with easy puzzles and the labyrinth fucks everything up, or have one of the last puzzles leaving you stumped while the music goes and goes. I checked youtube videos and I literally have no clue how it seems to be so easy for some.

I don't have any sense of direction, even with the "map", nor the skill for the triangle puzzles, I got to the pillars two times out of what feels like a hundred, and i had like 20 secconds left for those. Obviously I didn't make it.

I was looking forward making the Witness my first plat, but the game showed me that this won't happen anytime soon. Oh well, I got the two endings out of it, I guess. At this point, I'm actually getting mad and that's the opposite of what I wanted (and got, so far) out of this game. Idk, this is making me actually sad and disappointed, since everything else in this game could be overcome without help, given the time and all, and now I'm forced to stop without completing it. Damn.

Nzyme32

alright, i spent the entire fucking day trying to do the Challenge, and I
conclude that I'm apparently just too dumb. That's probably okay, I guess, but after coming this far without any guide, and not making any progress on this even with the silly rest mode trick, this is frustrating as fuck and not fun at all anymore. It sucks so bad that all the puzzles are random as all hell, you can have one run with easy puzzles and the labyrinth fucks everything up, or have one of the last puzzles leaving you stumped while the music goes and goes. I checked youtube videos and I literally have no clue how it seems to be so easy for some.

I don't have any sense of direction, even with the "map", nor the skill for the triangle puzzles, I got to the pillars two times out of what feels like a hundred, and i had like 20 secconds left for those. Obviously I didn't make it.

I was looking forward making the Witness my first plat, but the game showed me that this won't happen anytime soon. Oh well, I got the two endings out of it, I guess. At this point, I'm actually getting mad and that's the opposite of what I wanted (and got, so far) out of this game. Idk, this is making me actually sad and disappointed, since everything else in this game could be overcome without help, given the time and all, and now I'm forced to stop without completing it. Damn.

That's rough.
For me it took 17 attempts, which had the additional issue of my laptop dropping frames so much at the time that it was a fair bit more difficult than it should have been. Most of the attempts were simply restarts if I felt I screwed up on how much time I was taking. I found the maze to be the biggest issue till on the last 3 attempts I started to go for it a bit more logically, mapping where I was going in my head. You can see the triangle puzzles as a lot better than I originally thought (where I was trying to look at every screen rather than just use peripheral vision).

This all meant that when I got to the pillars I had tons of time left, still about 3/4 through the first song. So I took some time to wonder around the pillars and map that out in my head. Doing that, I've managed to finish it several times either before or just after the second song.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
shit. i completely forgot about those, are they actually serving a purpose?
They don't seem to.
( This is on the black pillars )

Somewhat vague but still pretty obvious :

They tell you something of a certain type of puzzle.

Straight-up explanation :

They show you all the +puzzles in the area and the general direction they are in. Ones you've found light up. Find all the +puzzles on a pillar and it turns white and gets counted as a third number on your save file. So they don't /activate/ anything we know of, but they most definitely serve a purpose; helping you find / keep track of +puzzles.

Mindlog

Yeah, I stopped playing too...
(post end game stats)
518+132+5 The last puzzle on the river totem for me was quite clever. The only hidden ones I have left are in videos. Not really interested. I also have missing regular puzzles, but meh.

Challenge tips (some covered some not. Definitely spoilers. Link at the end. Don't click that on accident.)
0. Hold R2 to make the line move faster.
1. Take your time on the fourth puzzle. Your path can be easy in two ways. Either it's several straight lines or all of the blocking elements lead you in the same direction. Don't bother wasting time on a run with a complicated solution. Getting lost in the labyrinth costs way too much time.
2. To maintain your sense of direction in the labyrinth try to avoid spinning as much as possible. Limit your movement to direction changes you can keep track of.
3. 2x2 alternating colors are impossible to solve. Don't even bother trying during that portion of the challenge.
4. If your first Tetris solution fails immediately start turning your line in the other direction. You have to keep yourself from getting locked in to thinking about the wrong solution.
5. On symmetrical puzzles you always start as the white line.
6. On triangles singles and triples are the least flexible pieces so start there. Doubles are much easier to work around.
7. Most importantly. Don't give up.

Kerned

Banned

Alright now, i don't want to hear "Anitra's Dance" and "In the Hall of the Mountain King" again in my life.

Congrats. I have given up.

( This is on the black pillars )

Somewhat vague but still pretty obvious :

They tell you something of a certain type of puzzle.

Straight-up explanation :

They show you all the +puzzles in the area and the general direction they are in. Ones you've found light up. Find all the +puzzles on a pillar and it turns white and gets counted as a third number on your save file. So they don't /activate/ anything we know of, but they most definitely serve a purpose; helping you find / keep track of +puzzles.

Oh sure, that I understand.
But those puzzles seem to do nothing, unlock nothing, etc. They are just there for the sake of the puzzles themselves.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I stopped playing too...
(post end game stats)
518+132+5 The last puzzle on the river totem for me was quite clever. The only hidden ones I have left are in videos. Not really interested. I also have missing regular puzzles, but meh.

Challenge tips (some covered some not. Definitely spoilers. Link at the end. Don't click that on accident.)
0. Hold R2 to make the line move faster.
1. Take your time on the fourth puzzle. Your path can be easy in two ways. Either it's several straight lines or all of the blocking elements lead you in the same direction. Don't bother wasting time on a run with a complicated solution. Getting lost in the labyrinth costs way too much time.
2. To maintain your sense of direction in the labyrinth try to avoid spinning as much as possible. Limit your movement to direction changes you can keep track of.
3. 2x2 alternating colors are impossible to solve. Don't even bother trying during that portion of the challenge.
4. If your first Tetris solution fails immediately start turning your line in the other direction. You have to keep yourself from getting locked in to thinking about the wrong solution.
5. On symmetrical puzzles you always start as the white line.
6. On triangles singles and triples are the least flexible pieces so start there. Doubles are much easier to work around.
7. Most importantly. Don't give up.

Clicked on the linked video, and is that really where this game goes in the end-game? If so, I think I'm done.

Action puzzling on a timer
is absolutely not my idea of an enjoyable time.

Kerned

Banned
Clicked on the linked video, and is that really where this game goes in the end-game? If so, I think I'm done.

It's exactly as miserable as you think.

im really glad that a LOT of people are enjoying this game and thus Mr. Blow hard work and dedication to this project is paying off.

Sadly, didn't find the experience engaging.

There's a certain sense of disjointedness when playing. It's like someone took one of those puzzle maze books and scattered it's pages through out an environment. There's no much cohesion between the puzzles and the setting, at least not in the few ones that i tried. However, im aware in certain cases there is a connection, as a person with more experience with the game pointed it out to me. But those are in the minority.

Maybe my expectations are to fault? i thought this one would workout more like Mist, mysterious setting with a variety of puzzles. Yet, the puzzles in the Witness being mechanically identical is an important aspect that conflicts with my chance to enjoy this work.

JesseZao

End game:
video

I fell asleep last night during "the secret of psalm 46" and my ps4 turned off. Lol...Guess I do it again later.

KarmaCow

It's the absolute end game, post game even and it's the only part of the game with a real time constraint.

If Im not mistaken, the labyrinth
matches with the 4th puzzle yellow dots, so if you remember those dots, you know where to go in the maze

Kinsei

Banned
I finished the
forest
puzzles!

I hope that mechanic doesn't show up again, I hate
shadow puzzles like the second half of the area had.

Zomba13

Im...so close to the platinum. Everything felt so easy and at least doable... now I'm at the mercy of luck, knowledge, and desperation

If you want to cheat that you are (or were) able (PS4 only)
to put the PS4 in rest mode. So grab a screen of a puzzle with your phone/whatever, Rest Mode the PS4, stare at puzzle until you work it out, then unrest PS4 and solve it.

Kerned

Banned
Im...so close to the platinum. Everything felt so easy and at least doable... now I'm at the mercy of luck, knowledge, and desperation

I feel the same way. This doesn't change my opinion about the game at all. I think it's been an incredible experience and I think it's one of the best puzzle games ever made. But man.
Fuck. This. Timer.

crispyben

I'm pretty sure there are more secrets in there though, stuff that bleeds into real life somehow – I can't believe the
secret post-ending first-person
videos have no hidden meaning, and I don't think anyone's found a way to exploit
these waveforms in the desert temple?
CZ_eA1yUAAAf2q6.jpg

But yeah, I don't have the talent or time to look more into this, so I'll wait while internet detectives figure it all out :p
I thought of that right away too, but can't help either. I have tons of questions, but the one on my mind right now is how do you reach the optional
treehouses
on the right of the area when you access it
by boat
?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's the absolute end game, post game even and it's the only part of the game with a real time constraint.

Even still, this is the kind of game that you want to complete fully and that sounds ridiculous.

I'll keep plowing ahead for now, but it's really disappointing to know what awaits me at the end.

I still can't even figure out how to
access this challenge everyone keeps talking about.
I've spent a lot of time
looking around the top of the mountain, and outside of a couple of environmental puzzles, I can't figure anything else up there.
Any hints?

I've spent a lot of time
looking around the top of the mountain, and outside of a couple of environmental puzzles, I can't figure anything else up there.
Any hints?

How many lasers do you have? If you have all and unlocked the box on top:

Then the lasers all do the dame thing. There's no overlap.

Have you unlocked the box then on top of the mountain? You needed 7 to unlock the part that unlocks the mountain top. The other 4 don't overlap with the previous 7, they're also needed. Just stay on the mountain top and keep looking.

Have you unlocked the box then on top of the mountain? You needed 7 to unlock the part that unlocks the mountain top. The other 4 don't overlap with the previous 7, they're also needed. Just stay on the mountain top and keep looking.

Yeah, the box is unlocked (at least I think so), and I finished the mountain stuff and rode the magic elevator.
Guess I'll just keep looking.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
fuck

fuck me

i got it

oh god i got it

spent the entire day on it lol

first plat ever :D

Yeah, the box is unlocked (at least I think so), and I finished the mountain stuff and rode the magic elevator.
Guess I'll just keep looking.

Once you have 11, you can unlock another part of that box at the top o the mountain that required 7. Check the box from below. Then go down to the bottom of the mountain...

The +1 puzzles in the keep where
the solution to normal puzzles make up the +1 puzzles, but you need to change the solutions so they are fully visible from one point
are really fun to work out on your own. I hope there is something more like that later.

I've spent a lot of time
Any hints?

Hint that helped me :
While you were in the mountain did you see any panels that weren't turned on or seemed like they would be something? Investigate and start there.

GhaleonEB

I finally opened the door on the beach, behind the desert.
The 6x6 grid filled with dots, two shapes and four negative space shapes. I got the concept right away - one shape had to be erased due to its location - and spent half an hour working out the logic of how to do it. Eventually I started with how I needed to reach the exit, and worked backward to solve.

What a rush, that sudden loud groan as it swung open slowly. I still don't know the meaning of what was behind the door, but for now I'm content to just bask in opening the damn thing.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Can anyone answer my question about the ending:
Are there multiple endings? Does the ending change depending on whether you activated all lasers, completed all puzzles, found all the +'s, etc. And is there a point to finding all of those +'es?

I also found
the challenge. Not sure if I want to do this. Tried a few times and only got to the set where you have to pick the solvable panel out of the 3.

Kerned

Banned
Can anyone answer my question about the ending:

I also found
the challenge. Not sure if I want to do this. Tried a few times and only got to the set where you have to pick the solvable panel out of the 3.

Was the ending you saw
interactive or non-interactive
?

Tregard

Soothsayer
So I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end, but I cannot for the life of me see why this is wrong:

Puzzle Here

All the pieces would fit into that arrangement, what is wrong with this?

JesseZao

Is there anything substantial to do after
beating the challenge
that doesn't involve
wandering around looking for +'s
?

Visit/experience the credits area.

Hint for endgame:
Did you ever find a lockbox that didn't have a hex pattern code? It involves that.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anything substantial to do after
beating the challenge
that doesn't involve
wandering around looking for +'s
?

Did you thoroughly search the
caves
, maybe found something interesting? Any doors on the island still closed?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Was the ending you saw
interactive or non-interactive
?

Have you seen
the credits?
If you haven't, explore the tunnels between the mountain caves and the rest of the island. You might find something useful...

I went
into the elevator, got a tour of the island, went back into the time and ended up a the start, the end. I'm exploring the caves now, got to the challenge and unlocked various doors leading to parts of the island + many bonus puzzles. I did find a puzzle diagram that wasn't a beehive pattern, have no idea where to input that though.

Kerned

Banned
I went
into the elevator, got a tour of the island, went back into the time and ended up a the start, the end. I'm exploring the caves now, got to the challenge and unlocked various doors leading to parts of the island + many bonus puzzles. I did find a puzzle diagram that wasn't a beehive pattern, have no idea where to input that though.

You know where to input that. Think back.

JesseZao

I went

Play a new game for a bit and you might get an "A-ha!"

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
Visit/experience the credits area.

Hint for endgame:
Did you ever find a lockbox that didn't have a hex pattern code? It involves that.

Did you thoroughly search the
caves
, maybe found something interesting? Any doors on the island still closed?
yea I already saw the credits and all doors are open that I'm aware of. What's the second + that I'm seeing people have?

I think I am losing this game.
10 lasers in, just the Village area left, but calling back all these different mechanics is killing me. Little discouraged. I'm assuming the end game is a mixture of all the mechanics as well.

Top Bottom