• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Draper

Man, the one puzzle where it's like, 5 separate screens but the solution has to be applicable to all of them is really fucking with me.

I've made it to the last screen.

GhaleonEB

On the subject of star puzzles, there's one in town that has me stumped.

It has several pairs of colors, and two sets of three each. I don't know how to handle the sets of three. I've completed the treehouse region without too much trouble, so I know about grouping them only in pairs of objects of the same color. But I don't know how to handle it when there's three of a kind, and no "mistake" icon to erase a partial pair.

I've tried grouping the oddball from each color together, and grouping the groups of three together, both of which violate the rules I know so far, but I really have no idea how to address it.

Is this mechanic introduced elsewhere?

KevinCow

Banned

It has several pairs of colors, and two sets of three each. I don't know how to handle the sets of three. I've completed the treehouse region without too much trouble, so I know about grouping them only in pairs of objects of the same color. But I don't know how to handle it when there's three of a kind, and no "mistake" icon to erase a partial pair.

I've tried grouping the oddball from each color together, and grouping the groups of three together, both of which violate the rules I know so far, but I really have no idea how to address it.

If this is the one I'm thinking of:
have you done the Bunker yet?

JesseZao

You have to enter the nearby building first.

Bowlie

Banned
Man, the one puzzle where it's like, 5 separate screens but the solution has to be applicable to all of them is really fucking with me.

I've made it to the last screen.

And it's like the game knows you did a solution which does not work in the next puzzle, making you think of another way.
I'd guess that if you picked the right solution on the first try they would seem dumb.

JesseZao

And it's like the game knows you did a solution which does not work in the next puzzle, making you think of another way.
I'd guess that if you picked the right solution on the first try they would seem dumb.

That how a lot of the puzzle series go. "Okay you just did this, but I'm going to block the path you took last time.

Jornax

Hmm, I'm not really satisfied with how I solved a series of puzzles. In the area called
the Bunker
:

When you get to the last segment of unlocking this area's laser, there's this elevator that you have to ride all the way up. I did fine separating the colors on the elevator's puzzle panel, up until the floor where the broken cable is next.

I kind of surmised (but I don't even know if it's correct) that the cable next to the panel lit up in the color of the room below you, but that didn't really help me get to the floor that was 2 floors up. Of course I knew the tiles changed color under different lighting, so I got the idea to create a lookup table using the yellow/blue/green windows downstairs. That didn't really help me as well though, as it seemed that I observed like 2 different colors of purple and pink each, and I could only see the "green translation" (blue + yellow window) for one of the panels. All in all this made my table have a lot of holes in it.

I think I was supposed to deduce to which colors the elevator's puzzle tiles were gonna change on the floor that you can't get to (because of the broken cable), but honestly it was all a bit too much for me, especially knowing I was always bad at color mixing lol. The only thing I could do that moment, was observing which possible color "groupings" there were on the elevator panel, deriving from the colors that I could observe from the elevator floors I was already able to visit. After that I just brute forced by singling out and/or combining these color groupings, and that was how I got to the floor above the floor the elevator technically doesn't go to.

The ones above the broken cable went okay, until I got outside/on the roof with the elevator. I had no idea how to separate the colors on this level (as to get to the last floor, above it, to activate the laser), so I bruteforced yet again to my shame.

Has anyone got any tips, explanation, hints, ... so I could understand better how to get to from the second last level to the last elevator level, as well as how I could've done getting past the broken floor?

JesseZao

Hmm, I'm not really satisfied with how I solved a series of puzzles. In the area called
the Bunker
:

When you get to the last segment of unlocking this area's laser, there's this elevator that you have to ride all the way up. I did fine separating the colors on the elevator's puzzle panel, up until the floor where the broken cable is next.

I kind of surmised (but I don't even know if it's correct) that the cable next to the panel lit up in the color of the room below you, but that didn't really help me get to the floor that was 2 floors up. Of course I knew the tiles changed color under different lighting, so I got the idea to create a lookup table using the yellow/blue/green windows downstairs. That didn't really help me as well though, as it seemed that I observed like 2 different colors of purple and pink each, and I could only see the "green translation" (blue + yellow window) for one of the panels. All in all this made my table have a lot of holes in it.

I think I was supposed to deduce to which colors the elevator's puzzle tiles were gonna change on the floor that you can't get to (because of the broken cable), but honestly it was all a bit too much for me, especially knowing I was always bad at color mixing lol. The only thing I could do that moment, was observing which possible color "groupings" there were on the elevator panel, deriving from the colors that I could observe from the elevator floors I was already able to visit. After that I just brute forced by singling out and/or combining these color groupings, and that was how I got to the floor above the floor the elevator technically doesn't go to.

The ones above the broken cable went okay, until I got outside/on the roof with the elevator. I had no idea how to separate the colors on this level (as to get to the last floor, above it, to activate the laser), so I bruteforced yet again to my shame.

Has anyone got any tips, explanation, hints, ... so I could understand better how to get to from the second last level to the last elevator level, as well as how I could've done getting past the broken floor?

Get out and smell the roses.

Karsha

I hate the "tetris" puzzles, even after figuring out what to do I still cant do it, sometimes I do the shapes and it doesn't work, I go random out of salt and it works :/

BraXzy

I don't know if it's just because I haven't played for a couple of days, but the game looks somehow better. Like crisper. Or something (on PC). Maybe just imagining things.

Easy_G

I hate the "tetris" puzzles, even after figuring out what to do I still cant do it, sometimes I do the shapes and it doesn't work, I go random out of salt and it works :/

They certainly feel that way, but usually once I solve a puzzle I realize how my original ideas were wrong. Usually one block too many it snidely rotating then.

lt519

Still really frustrated by some puzzle concepts. I enjoy discovering the concepts themselves but then solving puzzles with them multiple times gets extremely boring/frustrating. The Jungle was really really frustrating because
even after listening to a chirp sequence 1000x times I still can't figure out high/medium/low pitch
, but I understood and figured out the concept on my own. This is on top of the trouble I had with The Bunker
due to partial color-blindless
. I have to say it is a fun game and discovering the concepts is fantastic, a lot of a-ha! moments, but then solving the puzzles themselves isn't really fun at all. I applaud the brilliance that went into all the design but in the end it doesn't really amount to much fun. And I love puzzle games. I'm already tired of the game but will push through to the end. Maybe it's better in small doses...I think I've found a bunch of secrets not related to lasers, which will be fun putting that mystery together, I look forward to that more than activating the lasers.

The rules (which are not well conveyed) are far too flexible, and in some cases, the range of potential solutions is really mindboggling. The particular rule that is not well conveyed
is the ability to "move" the pieces around as long as they are encapsulated in the same contiguous area. This becomes even more difficult to really grasp when you are presented with re-orientable blocks and the blue subtraction blocks.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
woooo, congrats! I saw you getting frustrated by that, I'm glad you overcame it.

Oh god yes, so much frustration. Happy that's over, probably spending the next few days searching for the missing environmental ones :)

Two Words

I'm stuck at something in the late-game part of the game. I can't get a puzzle to let me start it for some reason. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if something is bugged. Screenshot of the puzzle:

52j9elB.jpg

Zomba13

I'm stuck at something in the late-game part of the game. I can't get a puzzle to let me start it for some reason. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if something is bugged. Screenshot of the puzzle:

The start point is where you'd expect it to be if the picture wasn't moving.

amnesiac

Is it wrong of me to be slightly annoyed at the people who are talking about a specific
song
at the end of game without spoiler tags? Like I don't see how that's not a spoiler.

JesseZao

Is it wrong of me to be slightly annoyed at the people who are talking about a specific
song
at the end of game without spoiler tags? Like I don't see how that's not a spoiler.

I hear ya. I more or or less avoided this thread until I beat the game to avoid spoilers.

Zomba13

song

It's one hundred % a spoiler I think. Whenever I saw it mentioned it was always just as
a timer. As in "That timer puzzle man..."
But I stayed out of the OT mainly.

Mistle

I'm at 523
+134+5
and can't get the damn final + puzzle to 100% the game. Haven't used a guide/hints at all so far so I'm not going to start now, but to be so close yet so clueless... haha. It's defintiely in the starting area though, I'm pretty sure I know that.

Also missing 3-4
audio logs
, but I'm not sure if I'll go pixel hunting for them, considering i got most of 'em already.

ironmang

Can anybody explain these triangle looking puzzles to me in the quarry? The ones with red and green lights or just the dark shaded dots. I'm solving them but it's just me randomly drawing lines.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Can anybody explain these triangle looking puzzles to me in the quarry? The ones with red and green lights or just the dark shaded dots. I'm solving them but it's just me randomly drawing lines.

Pay close attention to what happens when you 'complete' a puzzle. Try to intentionally fail the ones you've already done.
Note the sounds and animations, several of which are unique to the fan-pieces. What causes which pieces to make what sound? What happens to everything else on the board?

GhaleonEB

Direct answer:
They fix one mistake when grouped with the mistake. Put differently, they cancel out a rule violation.

Future

Nearing the end game now. Someone tell me these long as quotes in the audio tapes and other media actually mean something. Every time I find one i actually hesitate pressing play

mclem

Can someone tell me if there is a location that teaches you how to complete the puzzles where there are black nodes at every intersection in a puzzle?

The black nodes in general are taught in one of the tutorial areas near the start. As for extrapolating that out to the whole puzzle? That's up to you.

mclem

If you picked the right solution on the first try, any bystander would think you were insane. "But there's only one black dot!"

mclem

The rules (which are not well conveyed) are far too flexible, and in some cases, the range of potential solutions is really mindboggling. The particular rule that is not well conveyed
is the ability to "move" the pieces around as long as they are encapsulated in the same contiguous area. This becomes even more difficult to really grasp when you are presented with re-orientable blocks and the blue subtraction blocks.

Y'see, this, I think, is an interesting quirk of the game that's really fascinating me; the tendency of people to overcomplicate what they perceive the rules to be. I started out that way, but then I had a thought that led to a much simpler rule for Tetris pieces without any need for exemptions or 'and you can do this...':

"If a segment contains a Tetris piece, the shape of it must be able to be created from all the Tetris pieces in it"

It's a simple rule, it's obvious when you look at it, and it makes sense. But the thing is, it's also not what people hit on first. They build in assumptions, assumptions the game doesn't actively encourage - it's just, well, human nature. Then, when encountered with a puzzle that doesn't fit those assumptions, some rethink, some get annoyed, some blame the game. And I think that's good! That's healthy! Because I think that's exactly what the game's trying to do.

That's one of the reasons the game impresses me so - I think, underlying everything, there's a theme about
challenging your assumptions, questioning your beliefs, and how humans tend to add too much of their own expectations to their understanding of simple concepts.
. And the gameplay reflects that very, very well. Maybe I ought to shift to the postgame thread beyond this point!

Haemi

the Bunker
:

I looked how the panel was changing at the first three floors: red=>red/blue=>blue

used the same rules for blue=>blue/green=>green

ironmang

Pay close attention to what happens when you 'complete' a puzzle. Try to intentionally fail the ones you've already done.
Note the sounds and animations, several of which are unique to the fan-pieces. What causes which pieces to make what sound? What happens to everything else on the board?

Direct answer:
They fix one mistake when grouped with the mistake. Put differently, they cancel out a rule violation.

Still have no idea what they mean. Like it's just random to me when they get solved. No idea what side the triangle is supposed to be on or why different lights flash white when I do the exact same "complete" attempt. My least favorite puzzle type by far and since I'm not really solving them beyond blind guesses I'll probably just blow through them with a guide unless I have a revelation and suddenly understand how it works.

Moozo

Still have no idea what they mean. Like it's just random to me when they get solved. No idea what side the triangle is supposed to be on or why different lights flash white when I do the exact same "complete" attempt. My least favorite puzzle type by far and since I'm not really solving them beyond blind guesses I'll probably just blow through them with a guide unless I have a revelation and suddenly understand how it works.
I can't explain the flashing or the sounds, but the white shape must always be
"inside" the mistake

ironmang

I can't explain the flashing or the sounds, but the white shape must always be
"inside" the mistake

Still don't understand. I'd probably need like a 5 minute video of someone walking me through a solution to understand. What is the mistake?

rafaelr

Still don't understand. I'd probably need like a 5 minute video of someone walking me through a solution to understand. What is the mistake?

violating a rule of one of the other elements on the panels. for example if you have a panel with black/white squares: enclose 1 black with the white squares, it´s normally a mistake. but if you also include the triangle within the same shape, the mistake i canceled by the triangle.

Moozo

violating a rule of one of the other elements on the panels. for example if you have a panel with black/white squares: enclose 1 black with the white squares, it´s normally a mistake. but if you also include the triangle within the same shape, the mistake i canceled by the triangle.

Yes, or another example: a 3-tall Tetris shape with a white triangle immediately above it.

You only draw around the one square with the Tetris shape in, AND the one square directly above it with the triangle, totalling a two-tall shape, instead of the three that the Tetris shape requires.

This is the "mistake" and would be the correct solution.

You've then got to think about how you can apply this to various different rules and puzzles. For example as above,
when dividing a board of black and white squares, you might leave one white in with the blacks (provided the triangle is in that section too)

Just looked up answers to a bunch of shit from the Jungle, don't even feel bad tbh.

It's basically just an addition to all the other rules you know. So you know that if you see a
little hexagon on a line you need to trace your line through it. However, with the tri-symbol you now need to make an error for the puzzle to be solved, so you'd need to skip the little hexagon with your solution. Then the tri-symbol "cancels" the mistake, and the puzzle counts as solved. This applies to all the other symbols also, so if you have three black squares and two white squares, pairing the black squares with one white square and the tri-symbol will cause the one white square to be "wrong" which the tri-symbol cancels, validating your solution. Remember that each region with a tri-symbol must contain a mistake to be validated as correct, so if you create what would normally be a valid solution but there's a tri-symbol there, it will be marked as incorrect.

mclem

Here's my attempt at a hint:

By now you should be acquainted with what I term a 'segment' - a subsection of the grid that's been fenced off by your line; it's used in a number of different puzzle rules.

A segment which contains the propellor symbol must also contain exactly one error. At which point the error and the symbol are cancelled out.

Edit: Mostly handled above!

CloudWolf

the Bunker
:

Hint:
The answer isn't in the colours.

More nuanced answer since you already solved it by bruteforcing and were asking about how to get to the solution, this is how I did it. Absolutely do not read this if you want to figure it out yourself:

Forget everything you know about the colours of the rooms, etc. Don't even bother predicting the colour change in the panel, just look at which parts of the panel change colours every level. It's a very specific sequence. You just have to 'predict' the next step in the sequence which is quite easy. IIRC it was 'left lane coloured' --> 'left and right lane coloured' --> 'right lane coloured' --> 'right lane and two blocks in the middle section coloured'. So obviously the next step in the sequence was just the two blocks in the middle section.

Hint:
The answer isn't in the colours.

More nuanced answer since you already solved it by bruteforcing and were asking about how to get to the solution, this is how I did it. Absolutely do not read this if you want to figure it out yourself:

Forget everything you know about the colours of the rooms, etc. Don't even bother predicting the colour change in the panel, just look at which parts of the panel change colours every level. It's a very specific sequence. You just have to 'predict' the next step in the sequence which is quite easy. IIRC it was 'left lane coloured' --> 'left and right lane coloured' --> 'right lane coloured' --> 'right lane and two blocks in the middle section coloured'. So obviously the next step in the sequence was just the two blocks in the middle section.

The actual proper way to solve it
is to learn how coloured light affects coloured objects. You can see the "original" version of the board earlier in the bunker in white light, and the puzzle changes on each floor based on what coloured light is shining on the duplicate version of the puzzle in the elevator. So when the red light shines on a white square, it appears red, etc.

When you get to the floor with the broken cable, you can look up and see what colour light is shining in the room above through the cracks in the floor, and from this you can work out what colours the board would display on that floor.

When you know the original colours and the colour of light, there must be some tool on the internet that will combine them if you can't work it out manually.

Your way might have been easier tbh, but I'm pretty sure my way is "correct," for whatever that's worth in the end.

Sh0k

Does the game at one point let's you know that you are close to the end and you need to do something specific?

Spoiler

I have at the moment 8 lasers pointing at the mountain and solved 300 puzzles

mclem

Does the game at one point let's you know that you are close to the end and you need to do something specific?

Spoiler

I have at the moment 8 lasers pointing at the mountain and solved 300 puzzles

Kind of. It doesn't explicitly tell you you're at that stage, but most people will have found a bit of information through exploration that clues them in when and how to get to the endgame.

I think it's reasonable to assume that most players will ascend the mountain sooner rather than later, and from there it shouldn't be too hard to deduce the number of locks required to open the way to the endgame

IvanJ

Banned
Finished the game just now. I guess it was OK, definitely glad I played it, but not as glad that I paid $40 for it. I should have waited for a sale, but I got suckered in by reading praises here.
I saw nothing that would warrant the praises, after all it really is just a long series of line puzzles with differing methods of solving them.
It starts to get annoying after a while, once you figure out the methods of solving the puzzles, the very process of drawing lines gets boring.

I really found no pleasure in listening to audio logs (the ones I stumbled upon), as they seem just like random philosophical quotes serving no purpose other than shallow posturing (here's a quote from Einstein - oh my, I feel so smart).
And in the end,
the reward from plugging through 400+ puzzles and getting to the end is....starting a new game. Now that really disappointed me - a flyover of the island and return to the hole.

Time to play something entertaining for a change.

kaskade

Girlfriend saw me playing and wants to try it when she has more time in the summer. She's never played an FPS before so I don't know how she'll handle it. I think the slower pace could make it a little easier.

Future

Finished the game just now. I guess it was OK, definitely glad I played it, but not as glad that I paid $40 for it. I should have waited for a sale, but I got suckered in by reading praises here.
I saw nothing that would warrant the praises, after all it really is just a long series of line puzzles with differing methods of solving them.
It starts to get annoying after a while, once you figure out the methods of solving the puzzles, the very process of drawing lines gets boring.

I really found no pleasure in listening to audio logs (the ones I stumbled upon), as they seem just like random philosophical quotes serving no purpose other than shallow posturing (here's a quote from Einstein - oh my, I feel so smart).
And in the end,
the reward from plugging through 400+ puzzles and getting to the end is....starting a new game. Now that really disappointed me - a flyover of the island and return to the hole.

Time to play something entertaining for a change.

It depends on how much you appreciate design. This is probably the only game out there right now that doesn't have text on the screen telling you what to do or where to go. No objective markers to explain everything. No audio or text to tell you how puzzles work. It's a great testament of what ... 7 years designing something can do, heh. Everything can be solved with patience and examining clues which most games can't do because their clues suck.

However I agree it's not really built for entertainment for the masses or anything. And if you aren't a puzzle person, this isn't going to wow you. I also hated the overly long quotes and videos that gave everything this pretentious feel. No effort at all to draw you in through narrative of any kind

Top Bottom