• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

GhaleonEB

I'm fairly certain it auto-saves upon completing a puzzle.

I think it autosaves everywhere you go. I walked around this morning, quit the app, then started back up and I was standing in the exact same spot, out in the open, away from any puzzles.

MUnited83

For you.
More like PC gamer priorities. More concerned with AA, Res, Framerate than gameplay.

Or, you know, people want to have decent options to customize their experience?

Not that I expect you to have a meaningful discussion about that, since shitposting about PC seems to be your jam.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Oh man, that's irritating. I purchased it for PS4 to play with a friend. Should have done research. Thanks.

I have no idea where you got the multiplayer thing from.

Also for your information, Firewatch is not multiplayer either.

I have absolutely no idea why but this game doesn't seem to be picking up my headphones on PC. Anyone else have issues trying to use a different audio playback device for this?

Edit - Ah, I see there's a steam discussion thread about sound issues that Jonathan is working on.

CruelTott

Neo Member
Yeah, this game is killing me.

I called in sick because I really wanted to play this game, but 30 minutes in and I felt like I wanted to throw up.

Very disappointed.

Have you tried sitting further away from the monitor?
I've found that helps sometimes in low FOV games.
I think it has something to do with how much of your own field of view the screen takes up and the games filed of view matching up better.

baconcow

Not sure if I should buy it on PC or PS4. Have a 690 and an i7 3930k, but I am not sure if this game will utilize my SLI or hexcore. Unity games, for example, definitely do not. Game is also $4 more on Steam than PSN. But, game is likely far better looking on PS4.

Kyuur

Anyone playing this on PC with a Steam Controller? Trying to decide whether to buy PS4 or PC. The only real deciding factor is the method of input (and I guess in a couple years it'll be less of a pain to play).

Reposting..

One puzzle grid near the water right at the beginning is annoying me. It looks like
the cable just behind it should be used as the template to follow
but I've tried drawing it out about five time and it won't register.

Sorry, I don't really know the area. Can you tell me the sequence of puzzles that leads up to it? :I

For anyone who completed the desert puzzle quest, I need a little help.

In the room where you can regulate the water there is 1 tile that is floating on the water surface, near the scaffolding. I know that I need to move around so the light above it lets me see a pattern.

I can not figure out what the pattern is though. I can see the 'burned' marks but i can not figure out what to do. Trying to recreate the pattern does absolutely nothing.

I haven't completed the desert quest, but it's just
lowering/raising the water and moving around. I ended up going for a little bit of guesswork for the final line.

No that doesn't appear to be it. This is the sequence of puzzles leading up to it:

1. Controlling two lines to go above the palm trees
2. Follow wire as it coils around fence (half blocked by orange wall)
3. Point chart based on apple tree

Sorry, I'll try to find it but I don't remember it off the top of my head!

CHC

Not to be too big a cheapskate but is there any third party place selling keys? GMG was not. I'd love to save 5 or 10 bucks if possible.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Lack of resolution options I can't speak to, but the lack of FOV options is absolutely essential to a large chunk of the game working the way it is designed to work.

Sasie

I might be slightly out of line here but I'm wondering what I'm missing. The game costs 36.99 Euro. Have no music and barely much sound and all there is to do is visual puzzles?

The game looks good visually. Really, really good even but I can't help to compare it to mother middle sized titles like Cities Skylines, Civilization V and Age of Wonders III. Most of those titles are around 29 Euro. At it's current price the closest thing it competes with is full titles from big publishers and it seems pretty weird for a pure puzzle game with 10-15 hours of content.

baconcow

Anyone playing this on PC with a Steam Controller? Trying to decide whether to buy PS4 or PC. The only real deciding factor is the method of input (and I guess in a couple years it'll be less of a pain to play).

Could just play it on PC with the PS4 controller.

NightOnyx

Really liking the game so far. Definitely had some frustrating puzzles but I have always been able to figure it out eventually and it feels awesome when you finally get it. There is some really clever stuff in the game. I am taking a break for a little while. I started getting a headache, not sure if it's because I am thinking so much or if it's because I am in an area with some pretty intense lighting. lol.

Speaking of colors, I wonder if this game is even playable for some colorblind people. Didn't see any settings in the menus for that, but I gotta imagine it is difficult for them.

Well, played for about an hour and in that time unlocked the vault by the tutorial area and went on to light the Symmetry beacon. It's everything I was hoping for! Spoiler for some Symmetry puzzles:
When the orange line fades away to nothing and you have to follow its path in your mind (or with a finger against your monitor in my case)... Man, that was tough for a bit, but after looking at it more I figured it out.

Also, for those like me who were spoiled in the release date thread, it seems it wasn't that big of a spoiler after all. Shame to miss out on the moment of figuring that out myself, but in the end I'm not too upset about seeing that early.
I do wonder what happens if you find them all...

Oh, and does anyone else's mouse not work in the menu? I have to use arrow keys and enter to navigate it...

Kalor

So I'm stuck on a puzzle in front of some rocks in the water early on. Its part of a sequence.
Its the third one in the sequence and a lone rock is behind it. I've tried difficult approaches and angles and yet can't solve it. I thought the clouds might be part of it but that isn't working either.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Since the game has a few niggling issues on the PC (custom/>1080p resolutions requiring a workaround, no sound for some users, and no shadows for some AMD users), I went ahead and made a PC performance thread.

I think it autosaves everywhere you go. I walked around this morning, quit the app, then started back up and I was standing in the exact same spot, out in the open, away from any puzzles.

Ah, even better.

So I'm stuck on a puzzle in front of some rocks in the water early on. Its part of a sequence.
Its the third one in the sequence and a lone rock is behind it. I've tried difficult approaches and angles and yet can't solve it. I thought the clouds might be part of it but that isn't working either.

Hint:
Take a step back and look around. Sometimes a new perspective is needed...

Nibel

Lack of resolution options I can't speak to, but the lack of FOV options is absolutely essential to a large chunk of the game working the way it is designed to work.

Yup, Blow said so much on his stream and added if there were a lot of requests for FOV options that they would look into it

If you're talking about what I think you are
Try looking at the panel from different angles you can press X at any time or angle to start drawing lines on it.

GhaleonEB

The only game to ever give me motion sickeness was Marathon 2 on XBLA. It totally wreaked me, intense nasia to the point of near vomiting. Never had any issues from other games, outside of little feelings of vertigo now and then from high places.

I felt a little bit of pangs when I started playing The Witness this morning, just a bit uneasy, so I stopped using the run button. Walking around at regular speed, I was fine.

Something about 60fps first person games seems to do it to me.

Sane_Man

Need help! Very early on.

I've opened a door and there was a box, once opened there was some paper with a line drawn on it over some hexagon shapes. Above the room is a window with a tree looking down. I have no idea what to do with this stuff as there's nowhere to put a code into. Is this something I have to solve later?

tesqui

Just started the game 10 minutes ago and I've already discovered something that's really fucking crazy.

Without spoiling anything for me:
I noticed something strange about the shape of the clouds in the starting area. There appears to be a line puzzle in the FUCKING SKY. So i lined it up and something went shooting into the distance. Is this important to the overall progression or some weird ass secret?

ktroopa

Not sure if I should buy it on PC or PS4. Have a 690 and an i7 3930k, but I am not sure if this game will utilize my SLI or hexcore. Unity games, for example, definitely do not. Game is also $4 more on Steam than PSN. But, game is likely far better looking on PS4.

i bought it on PS4 and was considering PC but after seeing those graphics options (lol) im happy with PS4, looks great and 60fps locked. theres no HDR on PC version or anything fancy so tbh i highly doubt you will notice much difference even at 4K, the basic assets are near identical as blow has said.

carlsojo

Look
around a little more near the screen.

shiba5

I've opened a door and there was a box, once opened there was some paper with a line drawn on it over some hexagon shapes. Above the room is a window with a tree looking down. I have no idea what to do with this stuff as there's nowhere to put a code into. Is this something I have to solve later?

Later. Copy the paper.

I want to ask before I buy the game... Can a Deaf person complete this game? Like are subtitles included? Is there any puzzles that require hearing sound? Any info would be great! Thanks and I appreciate it.

epmode

i bought it on PS4 and was considering PC but after seeing those graphics options (lol) im happy with PS4, looks great and 60fps locked. theres no HDR on PC version or anything fancy so tbh i highly doubt you will notice much difference even at 4K
Even when textures are unchanged, higher resolutions are still a big improvement. Stuff in the distance looks a lot better.

I don't know either, but keep in mind that as has been said the "keys" in this game is knowledge. I took a picture of the page and figure it will be useful later on in an endgame puzzle.

cyba89

188 panels +4 solved so far. That's enough for me today.

It's really great. Totally managed to match my high expectations.

Monkfish

Banned
Played for about 20 minutes, now lying in bed feeling sick. Do not buy if the occasional game makes you suffer from motion sickness, this is a bad one, were talking unfinished swan levels

Top Bottom