• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

jacksrb

This was the game I was most excited about at the PS4 launch/reveal. I ended up getting an XBO, but am still really excited to play this on my pc. Glad it is finally here.

God damn this makes me feel so stupid already. I'm currently on the puzzles where you have to
control two lines and cover all the dots, like the 3rd in a set of 5. But there's just no route where it covers both sets of dots, because often dots with be in opposing directions and I can't double back since you can't overlap lines.
I've been banging my head against this for 45 minutes. Any hints? If this game just exists to make me feel dumb I might just get a refund before I hit 2 hours.

You can do it. You'll figure it out and then make this face..

image.php

I'm stuck. Like actually stuck. I can't beat two puzzles and there is nowhere I can go. I got this place by solving a puzzle that brought me along a platform and now I'm stuck with no way back :(

PolishQ

First episode of my playthrough! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlZfguwGyNs

(Spoiler wise, this covers the initial area, the nearby vault, and the canyon area where the puzzles are based on
symmetry
.)

The very beginning got cut off, but all that's missing is me saying "Hello, I'm Arthur..."

Watching this made me realize that I say "uh" and "um" way too much, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it so far, especially having never done a Let's Play before. I'm curious to know what you all think!

Dominator

Super early on, like right when you exit the tutorial, but
did anyone else do the one puzzle in the tutorial that unlocked the door which brings you to a locked door. Once inside that door there is a puzzle on the ground (I completed that but have no clue what it did) and a audio log of a man

Just that cool shit alone has me hooked and I've played for 15 minutes lol

About two and a half hours in now, still loving the game. Luckily I have not experienced any of the motion sickness I have been reading about.

The difficulty of the game is definitely starting to ramp up, even the "tutorials" (Row of puzzles that expand on the same concept) are getting really tricky. I have gotten one trophy so far,
Symmetry, for completing that area I guess

Aces&Eights

God damn this makes me feel so stupid already. I'm currently on the puzzles where you have to
control two lines and cover all the dots, like the 3rd in a set of 5. But there's just no route where it covers both sets of dots, because often dots with be in opposing directions and I can't double back since you can't overlap lines.
I've been banging my head against this for 45 minutes. Any hints? If this game just exists to make me feel dumb I might just get a refund before I hit 2 hours.

Don't try to cover the same ones as you have been, try looking at it by covering the other set.

LordAmused

did anyone else do the one puzzle in the tutorial that unlocked the door which brings you to a locked door. Once inside that door there is a puzzle on the ground (I completed that but have no clue what it did) and a audio log of a man

Yup.
I still don't know what that gound puzzle did. I have now moved on a little more inland, where there are two sets of TV, one set is blue the other is green. Currently stuck on the blue set.

I might be slightly out of line here but I'm wondering what I'm missing. The game costs 36.99 Euro. Have no music and barely much sound and all there is to do is visual puzzles?

The game looks good visually. Really, really good even but I can't help to compare it to mother middle sized titles like Cities Skylines, Civilization V and Age of Wonders III. Most of those titles are around 29 Euro. At it's current price the closest thing it competes with is full titles from big publishers and it seems pretty weird for a pure puzzle game with 10-15 hours of content.

Maybe, just maybe, a game is more than the sum of its parts.

Maybe, just maybe, you've only even seen 5% of those parts anyway.

Yeah, having seen that door in prerelease screenshots I immediately went there to check it out.
I was a bit disappointed by the reward, but then I remembered that knowledge is everything here. By going through there I learned (part of) how the orange triangles work. I later found another hidden panel with orange triangles, which told me more about them. I assume the orange triangles will play into unlocking larger secrets later on...

Okay stuck for the first time, any help is appreciated.

Desert area, going down the structure with the puzzles where you need a light reflection to see the answer. I'm down to where you can adjust the water level to see the reflection in the water. First one was when the water was all the way down, second one (right next to the first) was halfway but I just can't figure out the third one. I keep running around the room looking for new angles but I feel like I've exhausted all the options..

edit: Ok got that one done!

I'm only about an hour in and this is already so incredibly smart. Multiple revelatory moments regarding puzzles solutions, one of which was a little mind blowing. Cannot imagine what the game is like in another 5 hours then again what it'll be like in another 40 hours. It already seems like a masterclass in puzzle and environment design.

first couple hours: yeah this game is pretty novel, it is at least gently entertaining. had a couple moments that were like, oh right.. so this game is about little discoveries. of which i'd say i had two so far.

stunning presentation, i think hiring actual architects was a pretty interesting choice. i like how elegant it feels. the hold to run bothers me but i'm sure they'll fix it.

the audio logs haven't really grabbed me yet.

Megasoum

Banned
So is there no control options at all on the PS4? No way to increase sensitivity or cursor movement speed?

Also there's a Load Game option but no Save game? Does the game just automatically create manual saves?

I need help in the swamp.

I've done the tutorials and the little bridge puzzle but I can't get past either of the next two puzzles. Maybe I just don't get the squares rule.

Sai-kun

Banned
I only just solved the first group of puzzles but I'm already in love with this game. SO fucking colorful and vibrant. Totally my favorite type of vibe in a video game.

edit: also thank fuck for the running button b/c the walk speed is too damn slow for my impatient ass haha

cilonen

Yup.
I still don't know what that gound puzzle did. I have now moved on a little more inland, where there are two sets of TV, one set is blue the other is green. Currently stuck on the blue set.

Was that the door
on the outside of the courtyard walls which takes you further round the courtyard perimeter? I didn't try the puzzle with all the dots as I hadn't figured out what to do yet so I didn't get into that tower room

G-Bus

Banned
Finally!

Been interested in this since its first showing.

Loved the Myst series even if I was bad at them. Can't wait to see this island.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hahahaha yep we are stuck at the same bit. Spent a solid 40 minutes running around there.

For those last two - the floating one and the really complicated one on the wall, I jus started drawing them on paper and then
literally drawing the mirror image
as it was frying my brain. I found the one after that one you're stuck on really horrible - just couldn't find a comfortable angle so ended up guessing one end of it.

I think it's just a low FOV thing. Some people are more affected by it than others. If that sort of thing bothers you, it may be good to wait and see if it can be changed on the PC version.

Currently, the FOV cannot be changed on the PC version. More importantly, there are apparently puzzles that require the default FOV for you to figure out.

I want to buy the game, but I also don't want to throw up. Guess I'm waiting for FOV to get sorted out.

Woodchipper

Is it just me or is this game too damn difficult? I enjoy it, but fuckin hell, it's as if you need an IQ of 160 to figure things out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sorry, I don't really know the area. Can you tell me the sequence of puzzles that leads up to it? :I

Sorry, I'll try to find it but I don't remember it off the top of my head!

Near the starting area - the first set of buildings. Down by the
docks there is a translucent panel. After that one is solved it powers up the next panel - a plain one. If you face it and then turn 180degrees, you can see the wires I'm talking about
they must be the clue for that panel?

Edit: and two minutes later I just walk up and do it. The panel was telling me the starting point all along, I just didn't see it. I think it helped coming back to it after the shady trees section..

Shahadan

I can't help but think the puzzle have purposedly no name or number so it's hard to find the solution by any other mean than by yourself.

louiedog

Well, I managed to get myself trapped. I got stumped by a tutorial so I went to move on and managed to get into the next area without a way back. All of the puzzles in this area expect that I've completed that tutorial.

I can get out by solving puzzles... but it's going to be tricky.

You almost finished the game in 12 hours ?
As said there are 650 puzzles in the game.
However I must say that I feel very clever playing the game and often get what to do quite quickly. When I discover a puzzle that I haven't seen before I usually move on since I have little to no possibility to solve it. I'm good at seeing pattern which is exactly what's needed with the tutorials around the island and helps with everything. The trick is to keep all senses open and don't stare blindly at something.

Question about the
transparent
puzzles near the water.

The fourth puzzle....how the heck do you figure it out? I cannot figure out the rock formation pattern. I was able to get the answer through pure trial and error but have no idea why it's correct.

LordAmused

Was that the door
on the outside of the courtyard walls which takes you further round the courtyard perimeter? I didn't try the puzzle with all the dots as I hadn't figured out what to do yet so I didn't get into that tower room

Yes it is that door.

Nzyme32

God damn do I love the Witness! It's like a more accessible Myst with a free to roam world as opposed to frame by frame.

Is it just me or is this game too damn difficult? I enjoy it, but fuckin hell, it's as if you need an IQ of 160 to figure things out.

I don't think it is that bad. Admittedly some puzzle demand you take a step back and think about things, whether that is a puzzle or what you did before or anything else that might come to mind. For me it triggers a quick bit of inspiration that then often tends to be right on point

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Need help! Very early on.

I've opened a door and there was a box, once opened there was some paper with a line drawn on it over some hexagon shapes. Above the room is a window with a tree looking down. I have no idea what to do with this stuff as there's nowhere to put a code into. Is this something I have to solve later?

Yes and it's awesome. I just did that part. It'll be fairly on us when you get there. Just write down that pattern somewhere so you have it ready

I'm stuck on the tree puzzles.

Until now, I followed the tracks that'd lead to the Apple. But now on the fourth puzzle, there is no apple on the tree...?

HELP!

I usually move on when I'm faced with something I can't do, but I just reached a puzzle pretty far (like 20 puzzles) in its own sequence in a forest, and I'm genuinely stumped. I'm going to assume I've got to do something somewhere else.

Top Bottom