• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I might be slightly out of line here but I'm wondering what I'm missing. The game costs 36.99 Euro. Have no music and barely much sound and all there is to do is visual puzzles?

The game looks good visually. Really, really good even but I can't help to compare it to mother middle sized titles like Cities Skylines, Civilization V and Age of Wonders III. Most of those titles are around 29 Euro. At it's current price the closest thing it competes with is full titles from big publishers and it seems pretty weird for a pure puzzle game with 10-15 hours of content.
You're missing all the prior discussion, all the reviews, and the ability to sensibly determine the value of a game.

Just started the game 10 minutes ago and I've already discovered something that's really fucking crazy.

Without spoiling anything for me:
I noticed something strange about the shape of the clouds in the starting area. There appears to be a line puzzle in the FUCKING SKY. So i lined it up and something went shooting into the distance. Is this important to the overall progression or some weird ass secret?

It's how the game deals with collectables. Look around for some black pillars and you'll see.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
75 puzzles in before I realized
there are audio file collectibles
retracing 2 hours of wandering was fun.

Im way to far in and have no idea where it is

Walk speed is so slow. Anyone know if it can be modified? I need toggle to run. I'm not holding down shift for 40 hours.

You can
Fast Travel on a boat
once you get a bit in. There's no way they'd make you do that.

DJ88

Yeah this motion sickness thing is starting to worry me. I've never gotten motion sick from a game before besides Half Life 2 in the Oculus. I didn't have a problem watching the GB quick look either so I hope I'm unaffected by it.

kAmui-

Man, this game is intense. I'm maybe two hours in and I've already found so many secrets and things whose meaning I don't understand. This is going to be a wild ride.

Does anyone know if there is a point of no return in the game after which you can't return to the world to find everything?

mattp

Yeah this motion sickness thing is starting to worry me. I've never gotten motion sick from a game before besides Half Life 2 in the Oculus. I didn't have a problem watching the GB quick look either so I hope I'm unaffected by it.

i never play first person games because i tend to get motion sickness from them. i tried to power through it for alien isolation and that was REAL bad, so i had to give up. but i was hoping this would be fine for some reason

man...im not giving up yet, im gonna see if i can sit through the gb quicklook
but fuck, ive been waiting for this game for so long lol sigh

Sasie

You're missing all the prior discussion, all the reviews, and the ability to sensibly determine the value of a game.

I did actually read some of the reviews before posting. Seems like the game does have overwhelmingly positive reception and I have no objection with that. Still seems overpriced in the end for the amount of content considering big publisher released games with 100+ content for less of a price. Making 3D is hard I get it but Civilization V for example looks like a much more complex game that I imagine was more expensive to make. /shrug.

I think it's just a low FOV thing. Some people are more affected by it than others. If that sort of thing bothers you, it may be good to wait and see if it can be changed on the PC version.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The game certainly is addictive. "One more puzzle before I turn it off."

Trying this again... thread is fast lol

I want to ask before I buy the game... Can a Deaf person complete this game? Like are subtitles included? Is there any puzzles that require hearing sound? Any info would be great! Thanks and I appreciate it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
God damn this game is dope, the art is so deliberate. So many hidden little shapes and stuff.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I did actually read some of the reviews before posting. Seems like the game does have overwhelmingly positive reception and I have no objection with that. Still seems overpriced in the end for the amount of content considering big publisher released games with 100+ content for less of a price. Making 3D is hard I get it but Civilization V for example looks like a much more complex game that I imagine was more expensive to make. /shrug.

The reason you got the response you are getting is because you are asking people to make a value judgement on YOUR monies. No one can do that. The game is good. It is a puzzle game and (so far) a well made one at that. If you do not like puzzle games then wait for it to go on sale. If you are expecting anything OTHER than puzzles, then you are going to be disappointed.

I want to ask before I buy the game... Can a Deaf person complete this game? Like are subtitles included? Is there any puzzles that require hearing sound? Any info would be great! Thanks and I appreciate it.

Yes. And not really. There are audio clues, but unless you're also blind you wont have an issue.

I have heard that there is one area that does have sound puzzles, but keep in mind you only need to solve I think 7 out of 11 areas to finish the game. There are subtitles for the audio logs too.

Kyoufu

From what I've played, there are no puzzles that rely on audio and there are indeed subtitle options in the pause menu. I'm not very far in yet so maybe there will be some puzzles of that sort later on.

Yes. And not really. There are audio clues, but unless you're also blind you wont have an issue.

I have heard that there is one area that does have sound puzzles, but keep in mind you only need to solve I think 7 out of 11 areas to finish the game. There are subtitles for the audio logs too.

From what I've played, there are no puzzles that rely on audio and there are indeed subtitle options in the pause menu. I'm not very far in yet so maybe there will be some puzzles of that sort later on.

Thank you all! Appreciate it!

teokrazia

Impressions after a couple of minutes:
so-beautiful.gif

Spoilers for puzzles:
So far the only sequence that had an audio puzzle I have encountered also had an alternate path of puzzles that did not rely on the sound, but I am still early on.

cilonen

I just had my first 'Holy Shit' moment. Only about 30 mins in and taking it really slow, I saw something, tried it and was like..... Hmm, I wonder if.... Oh.... OH.

Edit: I have also had to take a break for motion sickness reasons. I'll get some seasickness tablets in for this one.

DJ88

Why do you equate amount of content or complexity with value? I would pay $60 for a simple but incredible 6 hour game, and I wouldn't pay more than $10 for the most complex, but sub par 80 hour epic.

Even then, I don't know where you got 10-15 hours from. I've heard everywhere between 20-40 hours to reach the ending, and several more if you try to beat every single puzzle.

Man glad I'm playing on PC, I knew what I had to do for one puzzle but couldn't visualize it so I took a screenshot and
flipped horizontally and vertically to get the answer.
I was stuck on that for like 10 minutes even though I had already figured it out.

That will do for today, 250 puzzles solved and nearly 7 areas done. Might need some time process everything, there is a lot to think about. Fantastic game!

justjim89

God damn this makes me feel so stupid already. I'm currently on the puzzles where you have to
control two lines and cover all the dots, like the 3rd in a set of 5. But there's just no route where it covers both sets of dots, because often dots with be in opposing directions and I can't double back since you can't overlap lines.
I've been banging my head against this for 45 minutes. Any hints? If this game just exists to make me feel dumb I might just get a refund before I hit 2 hours.

Jaagen

I wonder how this will run on the Surface Pro 4. It looks like it can be achieved, at least on the lowest settings.

And it is gamepad only on PC, right?

Top Bottom