• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

mattp

Yup it sucks. It is nowhere near as bad as the Talos Principle. That game wrecked me.

I don't really get it, I'm fine with most games in first person, barring sometimes source engine games.

i think narrow fov and lack of reticle are the biggest causes?
i havent tried the game yet. but most first person games bother me. so, seeing people who normally are fine with them, saying this made them sick, isn't giving me much hope

i tweeted at blow about adding an optional reticle

Lady Gaia

This has to be the first OT for a game that I'm terrified to actually read starting on day one. I only had about 15 minutes this morning to zip through the first 20 or so puzzles, and I'm looking forward to getting back to it tonight.

The lure of just one more puzzle is going to make getting to sleep tonight challenging, I can already tell. The beautiful setting really grounds everything while I've seen hints of how the puzzles aren't simple, self-contained problems I just know I haven't seen anything yet! For those brave enough to read this thread, enjoy the game and don't let yourself get spoiled more than strictly necessary to make progress.

Vexidus

For anyone having motion sickness, do you also get it from watching videos about the game? Also, is this the first game that made you feel this way?

I won't be able to start playing until tonight and now have an irrational fear that I will get motion sick and be unable to enjoy it. I've never gotten motion sickness from a game before and don't want this of all games to be my first.

Megasoum

Banned
I feel like I know the voice actress who does the audio logs? Dunno if there's more than one actor but the first one I found anyway.

Sound a bit like the lady from Last of Us?

gdt

Can't believe there are no options at all on PC. I get what he's going for but still.

Anyway, fantastic so far. Turned on 1 of the laser lights now I'm just poking around now to see what's next. Stuck underground under the windmill.

louiedog

Yup it sucks. It is nowhere near as bad as the Talos Principle. That game wrecked me.

I don't really get it, I'm fine with most games in first person, barring sometimes source engine games.

Talos might be the only games that's ever made me ill while playing with its default FOV setting. It's certainly the only one I can remember.

This is giving me a slightly queasy feeling, but not like I need to lie down after 10 minutes like Talos.

cilonen

i think narrow fov and lack of reticle are the biggest causes?
i havent tried the game yet. but most first person games bother me. so, seeing people who normally are fine with them, saying this made them sick, isn't giving me much hope

i tweeted at blow about adding an optional reticle

I do get motion sick at games but usually it's from rapid panning in tight enclosed spaces. This is the opposite - I'm being very slow and deliberate and it's mostly out in the open and I can only handle 10 mins at a time.

Travel sickness meds usually help though so I'll try that tomorrow.

Xyber

For anyone having motion sickness, do you also get it from watching videos about the game? Also, is this the first game that made you feel this way?

I won't be able to start playing until tonight and now have an irrational fear that I will get motion sick and be unable to enjoy it. I've never gotten motion sickness from a game before and don't want this of all games to be my first.

I started feeling a bit off right now after 2 hours of playing, I am 75% sure it's a FoV issue since that is really the only thing that have any negative effects on me in PC games.

And no, watching the GB QL didn't do anything to me.

JonnyKong

Holy shit, the smug feeling you get when you work out how the panels work. I know it's early game, but I'll cherish the feeling whilst I can!

MattyG

Banned

I didn't watch any videos, but it's happened to me before it other games like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. It kicked in about 2 hours into my play time, just nausea and a slight headache. Hopefully I stopped playing quick enough that it'll go away.

tuxfool

Banned

Let me tell you how I get motion sick so then you can judge for yourself.

I sometimes get really car sick (especially when sat at the back of the car). I never get seasick, ever.

I'm OK with FPSes at whatever frame rate they throw at me, but source engine games sometimes give me headaches.

The Talos Principle (at default settings) was the game that really destroyed me. I felt like vomiting and had a massive headache. I fiddled with the viewbob, mouse smoothing and FOV and it got better.

This game just gives me a headache, no nausea. And it took me a long time to start feeling it.

Furo

After all the praise and the good scores i'm kinda disappointed in the game. I like puzzle games but this on is somewhat boring (and the reaction in my stream was similar for the majority) and I take the refund. Hope you enjoy it all but it's not for me...

Flandy

Like you have previously been doing. Just do the bottom white ones backwards, go across the bottom first then around them and up to the top one from the left side. If you do this, you won't block the exit.

Yeah I was understanding the rules wrong. I was thinking the line had to be above the whine squares and below the black ones for some reason

Can we refrain from outright posting images? Just keep it to links to the images.

edit: Seriously, I think this should be in the OP.

Sorry I thought it was okay since it's like a tutorial puzzle :c

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
As a general rule if I encounter a puzzle with symbols I don't recognize, should I keep exploring to find a "tutorial" type puzzle? People talking about stumbling on a solution and getting locked into an area scares me.

As a general rule if I encounter a puzzle with symbols I don't recognize, should I keep exploring to find a "tutorial" type puzzle? People talking about stumbling on a solution and getting locked into an area scares me.
That part where we were stuck was following a tutorial section. Turns out we didn't get stuck, there was a way out.

Phear

Yeah, you should :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I need help in the swamp.

I've done the tutorials and the little bridge puzzle but I can't get past either of the next two puzzles. Maybe I just don't get the squares rule.

Same. I thought I was getting the hang of it, but now I can't do any of the next tutorial puzzles, nor can I open the nearby gate (which maybe gives you an exit). So I'm stuck.

For that category of puzzle, I think
you can have one open space with multiple shapes as long as they can fit together like Tetris. But they can't overlap - which is where I'm getting stuck on the tutorials after the bridge. The thee vertical dots clash with the four horizontal. I'm wondering if they can wrap around the edges of the panel but even then I can't work out what to do. Likewise on the panel where you have to do the same shapes as the 5x5, but in a 4x4

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So what am I doing wrong here? I'm not seeing the error.
(Early puzzle, the
first vault door
)
http://i.imgur.com/Dze9AWq.jpg

The bottom middle white dot needs to be with the others. You blocked it by itself.

I thought all the black ones and all of the white ones need to be in the same group, you have some blocked off from each other.

No - the rule isn't that colored dots need to be together. The rule is that differently-colored dots need to be separated. The problem with the picture posted above is that the black dot and white dot in the middle aren't separated.

Flandy

Has anyone gotten into the white door near the first set of tutorial puzzles?

I managed to get inside and there was a piece of paper with some sort of design on it. Any idea what to do with this?

I managed to get inside and there was a piece of paper with some sort of design on it. Any idea what to do with this?

If you explore thoroughly you'll find out soon enough. Just take a picture of it or jot the pattern down.

First episode of my playthrough! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlZfguwGyNs

(Spoiler wise, this covers the initial area, the nearby vault, and the canyon area where the puzzles are based on
symmetry
.)

The very beginning got cut off, but all that's missing is me saying "Hello, I'm Arthur..."

Watching this made me realize that I say "uh" and "um" way too much, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it so far, especially having never done a Let's Play before. I'm curious to know what you all think!

Wow that was great actually. Wonderful job explaining things out loud as you went.
AND you helped me understand the game a bit more which I needed.

kAmui-

You will need that paper later.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Yeah I was understanding the rules wrong. I was thinking the line had to be above the whine squares and below the black ones for some reason

Think of the banks of tutorial puzzles as a conversation. It's saying things like "Yes, the colors need to be separated." Then "No, not all the colors of one type need to be grouped together - just keep the colors separated." And what THAT panel was telling you was "It doesn't matter where you draw the lines, as long as the colors are separated."

Top Bottom