• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Keep playing.
Fast travel
is in the game.

If is is the one with:
shadows on the lower half. . .go back and open the door. There is a reason it's on a timer.

Thanks for all the tips but I'm already outside, not in
the red container (?)....thing, lol
there are
shadows everywhere and two points where I can start

Any tips for the puzzles with two starting points and one
invisible line
? I'm having a really tough time visualizing what the other one is doing.

reminder

Love the game so far. The maze section was awesome, and so was the end of it that
activated the laser
. The other part where you had to walk over the glass tiles to solve those puzzles was a bit harder, but I solved all four of it eventually. But I couldn't solve the puzzle of all four sections combined yet. It just isn't possible to recreate the same way I walked before.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Okay, I can't get the logic behind the set of the puzzles in
The Chapel by The Dam
. I've somehow solved a couple of them, but I don't grasp how.

Please, no solutions, just a tip on what I should be aiming for!

http://i.imgur.com/IVnvFb7.png

Super vague hint: Experiment and look at what that white symbol is doing in each of these puzzles.

Less vague:
The white symbol can nullify something in each puzzle

Apparently I'm really, really stupid. Stumped on so many puzzles, but I feel like an absolute idiot on this one, which is
shadow
related.

If anyone can give me a hint, it'd be welcome. Imgur link in spoiler tag:

Super vague hint: Don't overthink it.

Slightly more obvious:
Pay close attention. Where do the shadows connect?

Solved exactly 80 puzzles after about 3 hours last night before really getting stumped and having to go exploring for some solutions or my next "ahaa" experience. Hopefully coming back to this fully rested has opened my mind.
About 3 hours was my dropping off point too. I powered through the Talos Principle over the holiday and I think it wasn't really conducive to that. I'm going to stop playing when I feel frustrated or stop appreciating success.

Ibuki

Banned
Trying to finish
the last puzzle in the tree-shadow section (i think), where one side of the gate is open.

Any hints without giving away the answer? Tried a bunch of things.

Okay, I can't get the logic behind the set of the puzzles in
The Chapel by The Dam
. I've somehow solved a couple of them, but I don't grasp how.

Please, no solutions, just a tip on what I should be aiming for!

http://i.imgur.com/IVnvFb7.png
Hint:
What does the white thing do in the first dot puzzle? As any dot puzzle you must get rid of all dots one way or another

Quick question: Are some puzzle series purely for training, to make you understand the rules, and don't actually result in anything happening that would help you progress? Definitely seems like it.
Correct!

Just done the section with the lots of plants
had to look through windows to change the dot color etc, now in a lift but 4th floor wire is busted and I can't figure how to go higher, can only go back to the ground?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks just did the first sets of tutorials for that section now, makes so much sense now. Slightly worried about going any further
into the swamp as you and others have said they got stuck... eeek

You can get back by redoing the panel that gets you there..and a little lateral thinking.

Trying to finish
the last puzzle in the tree-shadow section (i think), where one side of the gate is open.

Any hints without giving away the answer? Tried a bunch of things.
I'm stuck here too. I have no idea what to do. It's weird because I was actually breezing through all of the other puzzles in that section.

justjim89

Is there a trick to the
antler-looking puzzles connected by the pink wires that deactivate when you mess up the next one?
That section was tedious as fuck trial and error, really aggravated me.

Is there a trick to the
antler-looking puzzles connected by the pink wires that deactivate when you mess up the next one?
That section was tedious as fuck trial and error, really aggravated me.

If you mean the
ones in the forest with trees near them, then you observe the nearby tree and choose a relevant path from what's on there.

cyba89

"+1 puzzles" spoiler
Once you start looking for those +1 perspective puzzles you see them everywhere. Some are really cleverly hidden. Often in plain sight. I like that.

MBison

I'm going to get this cause I love puzzles but is there any story at all? I worry about me keeping into a game that lacks the story push for keeping going? I mean I assume you'll know you're done with the game like there's an ending right?

Fuchs

Okay, it already got solved :)

Stuck in the desert ruins, but it's still fun.
About 1 hour in and I already love this game to bits.

Third or fourth rock formation puzzle on the water only has the one small rock jutting out. It and the clouds don't do anything. Tried a bunch of formations. Fucking hell.

Blergh. Hate leaving puzzles and coming back especially when I get the concept of it but the hints don't match the rest of the ones before it.

Take a look at the whole panel (including the stand). I got stuck for a long time there too.

Just done the section with the lots of plants
had to look through windows to change the dot color etc, now in a lift but 4th floor wire is busted and I can't figure how to go higher, can only go back to the ground?

I'm in the same place!
Next floor is green so I'm assuming we need to discover what each color is and then see what they are through a green screen

Bydobob

Wasn't expecting this many puzzles, crikey, my head hurts with all the effort! I think I broke a panel though after making a mistake and now I'm stuck. Exploring the island looking for a solution has given me an opportunity to fully appreciate the wonderful setting. Just... wow.

Wasn't expecting this many puzzles, crikey, my head hurts with all the effort! I think I broke a panel though after making a mistake and now I'm stuck. Exploring the island looking for a solution has given me an opportunity to fully appreciate the wonderful setting. Just... wow.
If it's the one im thinking of
redo the one before it

Flandy

64 puzzles down. Gonna take a break. Tbh this is kind of boring so far. I thought this was supposed to be more than line puzzles :p

I tried using the rules learned on the puzzles preceding it and just cannot figure it out
Yeah. At first glace it looks like it's just a combination of the two rules they teach you throughout the section, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. Or they're throwing a wrench in the machine and giving us a new rule.

hughesta

Banned
Oh my god the red and green puzzles in the
dam
are ruining me. I've gotten through three of them but now I'm at a loss. What am I missing?

116 +1, and loving it. Blow did it again :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I want to implore everyone, once again - A lot of these puzzles I'm seeing posted in this topic are ones that stumped me for a little while, too. But I was patient (mainly because I had early access and had no choice). I turned the game off. I went to a different area.

I left some puzzles, sometimes for days.

And then when I went back, I solved them.

Every single one.

I don't bring this up to brag, or to try and sound smarter than anyone else. I'm just saying... the immense feeling of satisfaction knowing that I turned on 7 lasers (and beyond) 100% by myself feels so, so good.

i can't promise that I wouldn't have asked for little hints either, if I was playing with you all. I just want to implore you all to pretend like you're the last man on Earth and you're on your own. If you give it enough time, you can do it!

You only get to play The Witness for the first time once. So just take your time! It's totally fine to leave a puzzle behind. I've solved almost 400, and there's still several I don't know how to do. But I'll get them eventually.

And it'll feel so good.

Spaulding

Third or fourth rock formation puzzle on the water only has the one small rock jutting out. It and the clouds don't do anything. Tried a bunch of formations. Fucking hell.

Blergh. Hate leaving puzzles and coming back especially when I get the concept of it but the hints don't match the rest of the ones before it.

You have to turn the camera to the right and use the four rocks formation

sunlapse

Neo Member
Can't seem to get the solution to this puzzle in the
greenhouse on the mountainside. All the puzzles before it seem to be solvable by grouping all the similar color dots together but I can't seem to find a path to do that here. Do I just need to work out the correct path or is there a different way of solving it? This one

Any ideas?

First impressions. This game feels overly restrained. I'm all for design purity but there is a sense that they weren't confident in the narrative aspects. I know I'm just scratching the surface here.

Reminder: spoiler tags don't show up in search results.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Am I cheating by using Google Keep to take notes and save photos of clues (yes, I'm photographing my TV)? I mean, I COULD draw them on paper or whatever, but I feel like it would just take longer for no real good reason.

JTripper

Just reached
the James Burke projection in the underground bunker.

This game is super fascinating and these puzzles are making my brain do strange acrobatics. I feel like I should take a break after playing for the first hour and a half but I kind of want to get to a puzzle that totally stumps me before I stop.

Top Bottom