• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Mimosa97

As said there are 650 puzzles in the game.
However I must say that I feel very clever playing the game and often get what to do quite quickly. When I discover a puzzle that I haven't seen before I usually move on since I have little to no possibility to solve it. I'm good at seeing pattern which is exactly what's needed with the tutorials around the island and helps with everything. The trick is to keep all senses open and don't stare blindly at something.

Oh ok i got it wrong. I thought you needed to finish 7 areas and the game was over so when you said " nearly 7 areas done " i got confused lol

Same. I thought I was getting the hang of it, but now I can't do any of the next tutorial puzzles, nor can I open the nearby gate (which maybe gives you an exit). So I'm stuck.

For that category of puzzle, I think
you can have one open space with multiple shapes as long as they can fit together like Tetris. But they can't overlap - which is where I'm getting stuck on the tutorials after the bridge. The thee vertical dots clash with the four horizontal. I'm wondering if they can wrap around the edges of the panel but even then I can't work out what to do. Likewise on the panel where you have to do the same shapes as the 5x5, but in a 4x4
Yeah that's what I thought

the first one with the straight line 4 and two 3's I had a solution but it wasn't working. Was tearing my hair out. It look like it should the 4 and two 3's were grouped together, them and only them.

But yeah if you do the puzzle on the bridge backwards you can get out of that area. Just mirror it so the middle horizontal 3 is linked to the vertical 3 on the left.

iFirez

I feel like I've explored everywhere and no where seems to explain what the colored multiple squares which look like tetris blocks are or how to conquer them in the puzzles.

Solved exactly 80 puzzles after about 3 hours last night before really getting stumped and having to go exploring for some solutions or my next "ahaa" experience. Hopefully coming back to this fully rested has opened my mind.

jett

D-Member
Been playing for two hours or so, 68 puzzles completed, one "thing" has been turned on.

This game is really pretty.
This line puzzles are getting pretty old already.
I don't "feel smart "at all when I complete them like in the Talos Principle, for example. They feel more like a chore.
Traversing through this world does feels like a chore. Having to hold a button to "run" is really stupid considering how you're running all the time.
I don't like having no music at all, guess I'll have to use custom soundtracks and stuff.

These are my early impressions. I'm feeling pretty iffy on my purchase right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I feel like I've explored everywhere and no where seems to explain what the colored multiple squares which look like tetris blocks are or how to conquer them in the puzzles.

swamp area
seems to be the tutorial area for it, but lots of us are getting stuck in there..

Head towards the
mountain with the tripod thing on top, and it's near some lovely white fluffy trees/plants

iFirez

Perhaps everywhere outside. But how many interiors have you explored?

I feel like I've explored all the interiors I've come across that don't have this sort of puzzle on the door to enter. I'm still looking around - I'm guessing it's fairly obvious when you come across the puzzle that teaches you how to use these?

_RT_

You need to separate all the white dots from the black, even over a large area. Hope that helps.

Holy shit.
I've been successfully solving those using the wrong approach. I was wondering why my method stopped working on some of the later puzzles.

I need to revisit some puzzles tonight.

oatmeal

Banned
Been playing for two hours or so, 68 puzzles completed, one "thing" has been turned on.

I don't "feel smart "at all when I complete them like in the Talos Principle, for example. They feel more like a chore.
Traversing through this does feels like a chore. Having to hold a button to "run" is really stupid.
I don't like having no music at all, guess I'll have to use custom soundtracks and stuff.

These are my early impressions. I'm feeling pretty iffy on my purchase right now.

I've done the same amount of puzzles oddly and I feel the exact same.

Okay some puzzles are just too hard/ frustrating. I don't think a normal human being is able to solve some of the puzzles. I'm stuck since 70 minutes. It's in the forest area, the puzzles where you have to draw around
the shadows
. There are three panels left. But I can't get past the current panel. It's a pain in the ass, I have no idea what to do, tried almost everything.

Unison

Traversing through this world does feels like a chore. Having to hold a button to "run" is really stupid considering how you're running all the time.

All true...

The game needs more variety and less pointless exploration.

Maybe it gets better later, but I don't feel rewarded... I'm at about the same point.

MBison

I'm going to get this cause I love puzzles but is there any story at all? I worry about me keeping into a game that lacks the story push for keeping going? I mean I assume you'll know you're done with the game like there's an ending right?

Makai

Okay some puzzles are just too hard/ frustrating. I don't think a normal human being is able to solve some of the puzzles. I'm stuck since 70 minutes. It's in the forest area, the puzzles where you have to draw around
the shadows
. There are three panels left. But I can't get past the current panel. It's a pain in the ass, I have no idea what to do, tried almost everything.
There's too much shadow

Anyone having this issue?

IHERVfR.jpg

No shadows...

Yeah, I have a similar issue. When I start the game, shadows are all wonky and move when I move. After a few seconds of walking it just covers everything and it looks like there are no shadows at all, like in your screenshot.

Hope this gets fixed soon, the lighting in this game is so nice.

EDIT: Devs are aware of it and it's on the to-do list: http://steamcommunity.com/app/210970/discussions/3/458606877334626776/

the shadows
Tip:
Have a look around the puzzle, check the nearby surroundings and see if you can find something that is similar to the ones you just did.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Keep playing.
Fast travel
is in the game.

the shadows

If is is the one with:
shadows on the lower half. . .go back and open the door. There is a reason it's on a timer.

hughesta

Banned
Still can't solve the puzzle in the beginnkng, on the white door with the
white and black squares and black dots. I'm seperating all the blacks from the whites and hitting each dot. What am I missing?

Xyber

I think I'm gonna have to go for a refund until I know there's a patch to add the FoV slider. Took me about 30 minutes to stop feeling the motion sickness now and I have no real urge to start the game up again. =/

I wanted to get through this without seeking help but I've spent 2 hours on this damn puzzle and it's giving me an actual headache so I have no choice.

HOW?
Link pictures please.
Do you know that the white stary thing also can correct a fawlty dot. If that doesn't help you pm me and I can give you the answer.

The way I know I play video games very differently from some is when I hear complaints about having to hold a run button down. Especially in a game like this. I'd hate to be your waiter.

iFirez

swamp area
seems to be the tutorial area for it, but lots of us are getting stuck in there..

Head towards the
mountain with the tripod thing on top, and it's near some lovely white fluffy trees/plants

Thanks just did the first sets of tutorials for that section now, makes so much sense now. Slightly worried about going any further
into the swamp as you and others have said they got stuck... eeek

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I wanted to get through this without seeking help but I've spent 2 hours on this damn puzzle and it's giving me an actual headache so I have no choice.

HOW?

OMG this motherfucking puzzle. This is one of the top 10% in terms of how long it stumped me... and it was doubly frustrating because it was the very last one I needed to turn on the 7th laser.

It's also one of maybe only ~3 puzzles in the game I consider a little unfair, although less so than the other two.

Hint:
You've always used that white symbol to nullify a single square. Could it nullify something else instead?

Trojan

I'm out of town on a work trip this week. However, I want to play this game so badly that I bought a copy this morning on the PS Store mobile app, downloaded it remotely to my PS4, and will be playing it tonight on Vita remote play using hotel wifi. HOTEL WIFI.

I think I'm gonna have to go for a refund until I know there's a patch to add the FoV slider. Took me about 30 minutes to stop feeling the motion sickness now and I have no real urge to start the game up again. =/

One of the developers just posted that you can change the vertical FOV in the AppData files (default is vertical 54, horizontal auto calculated from this and aspect ratio): http://steamcommunity.com/app/210970/discussions/3/458606877334931773/#c458606877335050768

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Has anyone bought this via the Humble Store? Just saw this line of text
Get The Witness for Windows, DRM-free or on Steam!
and I wanted to make sure whether or not this meant you get one or the other, not both.

Freeman76

Considering its about drawing lines, this game is simply genius. I am constantly being surprised. It has me taking pictures and writing shit down ffs.

louiedog

Has anyone bought this via the Humble Store? Just saw this line of text

and I wanted to make sure whether or not this meant you get one or the other, not both.

I think he said in his stream earlier (maybe it's archived if you want to check) that it's OR and not both because he sees giving two copies of a game to people who will sell the Steam key as bad.

Eklesp

I'm out of town on a work trip this week. However, I want to play this game so badly that I bought a copy this morning on the PS Store mobile app, downloaded it remotely to my PS4, and will be playing it tonight on Vita remote play using hotel wifi. HOTEL WIFI.

This is amazing. Movement is pretty slow, so it might actually work.

Any help on (what I think is) the bunker?
It seems like it's a really tricky color puzzle - the 5th floor is broken so I think we need to skip to the 6th (green tone). Tried making a list of all the colors with each filter but I still can't find a good method to guess which color will be which in the next floor.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I think he said in his stream earlier (maybe it's archived if you want to check) that it's OR and not both because he sees giving two copies of a game to people who will sell the Steam key as bad.
Seems silly considering the DRM-free copy will just be circulated anyway.

Thanks!

JonnyKong

What the hell. Just spent ages doing those transparent panels near the water using the rock formations. I finish the last one, nothing happens! Gah.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm getting terrible motion sickness from this game. I could only play for about 30 minutes. Hopefully there's an fov hack that can be employed.

oatmeal

Banned
Third or fourth rock formation puzzle on the water only has the one small rock jutting out. It and the clouds don't do anything. Tried a bunch of formations. Fucking hell.

Blergh. Hate leaving puzzles and coming back especially when I get the concept of it but the hints don't match the rest of the ones before it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is it pretty obvious where the tutorial for the
tetris pieces
?

I'm running into a lot of those.

Also, for the
sun temple
, am I supposed to be able to figure this out with no previous tutorials by just looking around that specific area?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently I'm really, really stupid. Stumped on so many puzzles, but I feel like an absolute idiot on this one, which is
shadow
related.

If anyone can give me a hint, it'd be welcome. Imgur link in spoiler tag:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Loving it so far! It's very satisfying to figure this stuff out. Still have no idea what's actually going on or anything, but I'll just keep going! It's a wonderful place to explore and do some puzzling in.

Quick question: Are some puzzle series purely for training, to make you understand the rules, and don't actually result in anything happening that would help you progress? Definitely seems like it.

What the hell. Just spent ages doing those transparent panels near the water using the rock formations. I finish the last one, nothing happens! Gah.

Yep, that's precisely one of the ones I was thinking of. There are also random single puzzles just lying around here and there, which don't seem to do anything either.

Top Bottom