• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Clever. I still can't get it working though.

It think it should look like this
http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...003/B5E094407A4A0AA7667C27A8C7320C56DCC261E4/
But that's not right.

It's basically that, except the 'transition' between the board and the panel is two-long. Just extend your lower half to the edge and it should work.

Also, people, the 'tutorials' aren't exactly 'here's what you do'. You're supposed to experiment with them and see what flashes when you do it wrong. The 'tetris' tutorial is a bit more complicated, and I admittedly haven't finished the area
once I got to the blue squares
but it's really the area where you can experiment freely without any punishment.

Mistle

Can I stumble upon puzzles that I literally wouldn't be able to solve (without pure luck) without having previously done easier, tutorial versions of the puzzles elsewhere on the island?

It's annoying to get stuck on something with the nagging feeling that I'm not supposed to be tackling it quite yet, haha

Mik2121

Anyone else feeling slightly nauseous, light-headed or dizzy after playing for multiple hours? I never feel dizzy even playing the most action-based FPS (used to play tons of Quake 3 and UT), but for some reason I was feeling slightly nauseous after some 2 hours of play.
I think it might be that I was playing on a huge projector screen fairly near so next time I play I will try making the screen smaller, as that should help a bit.

Wonder if it was the head wobble movement or what...

I got stuck in the shaded woods at one point, I move to the hedge maze, eventually got stuck, I moved to a shoddy building, did various stuff and bam,
Monastery laser.
While in that location, I also started
lighting yellow stuff on a black obelisk. What.

I went through another forest with sinusoidal puzzles
that bird chirping stuff
but the last puzzle of what I assume is the tutorial left me dumbfounded.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Anyone else feeling slightly nauseous, light-headed or dizzy after playing for multiple hours? I never feel dizzy even playing the most action-based FPS (used to play tons of Quake 3 and UT), but for some reason I was feeling slightly nauseous after some 2 hours of play.
I think it might be that I was playing on a huge projector screen fairly near so next time I play I will try making the screen smaller, as that should help a bit.

I think it's the wobbling. I feel the same way.

shiba5

After seeing some of the glowing reviews, I was considering picking this game up for my wife and I.

I was curious if anyone knew how 2-player friendly this game is? I would likely use controller while my wife helps solve puzzles. Has anyone tried this yet?

Thanks!

Nicko

It made my husband want to barf after watching only a few seconds. He solved one of the puzzles and then ran away.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just solved the one you are stuck on (it had me for a while too).
All you need to know is that you can arrange those tetris pieces in any way you want, so long as the shape they collectively make includes the squares with the little pictures on. The tutorial as you cross the bridge shows you this, but I admit it wasn't in a very obvious way.

But that isn't what was said earlier - it was said that you don't need to cover that square and that is needed for the panels across the bridge in the swamp. Confused but will experiment.

someone just straight up tell me the trick to the elevator puzzle

I'm done

I'm with Hot Coldman - I need help on the elevator - I need to go to bed but I'm not stopping until I've at least got past this floor.

ImSoDan

I came here to check the same thing. I rarely get dizzy from games, but this game is making me want to puke. I tried changing the FOV and I still couldn't keep playing. I was fine for about an hour before it started to really effect me. Then I started heating up just like with the first oculus devkit. I really hope this is addressed.

GRaider81

An hour in and i've just managed to set off a
beam
towards something.

Loving the game so far. Haven't even noticed there is no music tbh. Just alone with my thoughts. Its nice.

edit: Also its gorgeous. A wallpaper makers dream/

ekim

Yup. I have the same problem. It's now right on the nausea list for me together with the beginners guide and talos principle. Can play TF2 for hours...

Btw: what do you mean with wobbling? I didn't pay attention.

The puzzles in this game are strangely addictive, and it feels so good when you solve them... I feel like I'm playing Tetris. This is really good.

But that isn't what was said earlier - it was said that you don't need to cover that square and that is needed for the panels across the bridge in the swamp. Confused but will experiment.

I'm with Coldman - I need help on the elevator - I need to go to bed but I'm not stopping until I've at least got past this floor.

The elevator beat me, I'm in bed but my Vita is beside me.....

JonnyKong

Holy crap, I've just been sat in my kitchen with my flatmate telling her how I feel sick and light headed after playing this for a few hours. I'm lying in bed now and I still feel like I'm close to vomiting.

What the hell. I've never had this happen with a game before.

Did you finish the tutorial panels before going over the bridge thing? I got stuck on the second set and I think they might help understand those shapes - eg I couldnt do the second panel
3 dots in an L shape, plus 1 dot

That second panel is deceptively easy
combine the shapes.

Anymore non-spoilery impressions? What do you guys think?

Sounds like some of you are playing the hell out of this within just one day.

Any fans of Talos/Fez/Portal feel like they know how they rank Witness in comparison?

I've never played fez, but 100% portal and talos.
I absolutely love it, its fantastic.
At first i wasn't impressed, i even stated it felt like debugging code, rather than a fun puzzle.
But once you've learnt the basics, this excellent flow kicks in.
The whole game becomes about learning, finding what you need to learn, then applying it in inventive ways.

Guys, I've seen things in this game. I'm 4 hours in with 4 and a half biomes on the west coast that I've messed with. Somehow I already have 6 partially full pages of notes and a map with a legend. At first, I thought being so thorough was overkill, but its quickly becoming a godsend in keeping track of things.

I'm so into this right now.

zsynqx

Okay, been playing for a while and I need a break, my brain is getting so tired. The game is fantastic and seriously gorgeous.

The puzzles in this game are strangely addictive, and it feels so good when you solve them... I feel like I'm playing Tetris. This is really good.

Yer, I'm currently dealing with the shape puzzles and kinda reminds me of tetris. :p

mf.luder

I'm having a blast. I'm just running around from puzzle to puzzle. I just beat

the apple puzzle
and I feel like a made an accomplishment.

It's a gorgeous game.

edit: zsynqx, I didn't look at any replies because I'm afraid of spoilers and it's hilarious that at 6:21 we both declare this game as gorgeous.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's basically that, except the 'transition' between the board and the panel is two-long. Just extend your lower half to the edge and it should work.

Alright thanks. Now I'm completely stuck on the puzzle right after that, great.
I don't really care for the type of puzzle in this area, I get what I need to do, I'm just having a hard time seeing it. That's not that fun

Mimosa97

Why do you assume the game ends when you clear seven areas?

I've read that in several posts that
you can finish the game by completing 7 of 11 areas.

I've also read it in the IGN review I think. THe guy said he finished the game in 40 hours by completing 7 areas and he came back to it to finish the puzzles he had left out.

To those of you feeling dizzy/sick, try messing with your FOV to see if that helps. I just started so I'll let you know if I ever get dizzy personally. Quantum Conundrum is the one and only game to make me feel ill from playing, for what it's worth.

Post detailing where to find the .variables file.

Tool to calculate what vertical FOV setting you should use depending on your desired FOV and resolution.

If you have a 16:9 monitor and want a FOV of 90 (sweet spot for most), 59 is the vertical FOV you'll use.

oatmeal

Banned
Have you finished that whole area? A bit after that there's a puzzle I'm stuck at in that area.

It's the one where
one of the tiles has a two columns of two yellow dots, with a gap in between the two columns. I don't understand what it means and have tried all kinds of possible solutions that seem like they should have worked.

Not sure which you're referring to...

I'm at the top, assuming it's the last 6 puzzles and I did the first 3 panels on the right side...the left opened up and it's...completley different, nothing trained me for it. It seems simple...but...you know...Witness.

zsynqx

I'm having a blast. I'm just running around from puzzle to puzzle. I just beat

the apple puzzle
and I feel like a made an accomplishment.

It's a gorgeous game.

edit: zsynqx, I didn't look at any replies because I'm afraid of spoilers and it's hilarious that at 6:21 we both declare this game as gorgeous.

Everything happens for a reason.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
I have been stuck on this specific spot for... three months now.
I have walked all over the ship, tried to hear noises at each spot, gone to other parts of the island looking for more clues about its colored dots, and on and on and on.
I might finally cave in on this one in terms of looking for help from the hive mind.

There's only one other spot I'm stuck on. Not gonna talk about that one yet, not even with Spoiler tags. But holy shit.

Now I'm curious to know who you are that you've had access to a build for that long, haha. But yeah, the one we're both talking about instantly made me wonder if it was Blow's "less than 1% will ever get this" puzzle. It seems incredibly obscure, even knowing what we know.

hydruxo

This game is the perfect combination of relaxing and stressful lmao

You're taking in all the scenery one minute, then the very next you're cursing at the screen

Loving every second though!!

zsynqx

Watching my friend play, and I tell him before he gets to the end take a screen shot of his pattern. So if he's wrong he can hit the home button go to the gallery and see his mistakes.

Not a bad idea.
I failed the initial castle thing like 5 times from memory and then was just like fuck it, and drew the route.

Nope, its a puzzle game and the hard ones deserve attention to detail.

I'm still fairly early and it hasn't felt that necessary thus far.

This question makes me feel old.

Aha sorry

Yes. That one worried me for ages.

yes. It's vanishing for a reason... But I guess this is more confusing than helping. lol

Thanks! Just needed to know.

Man there is some great fuckery in this game. Like....just the wonderful logic. (Desert Spoilers)
Using the sun to cause glare on the circular discs to form lines is pretty damn awesome and wonderful

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm reading up on how different objects look under different coloured light sources. James Burke would be proud of me. Doesn't help if I don't know what colour those bloody buttons actually are though.

kiguel182

So, I'm in the temple right now and I'm calling it a day. If it wasn't from a tip here I wouldn't have found out this panels mechanic at all.

I still don't know if the other panel I'm stuck with the Tetris pieces is the tutorial. If it is then I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I feel like past the starting area the game becomes a little worse with introducing the new mechanics which is a shame since solving the puzzles is what's fun instead of beating the head against the wall trying to find a mechanic.

If someone can tell me if
the Tetris puzzle in the dam
is supposed to be the first it would be a big help for me.

Bowlie

Banned
Hi, everyone! Played the game for an hour and finally came to this thread to talk with you.

Obviously, I did not see any of your posts; too spoilery probably.

As for interesting progress, I opened the cave back at the beginning and found a drawing with hexagons in it, wonder when I'll use that!

And went through the series of puzzles starting at the wooden house by the water, and ended up powering a beam weapon that's shooting a line at the distant mountain.

I've noticed that looking at the wooden house when you're near the beam weapon, you could position the camera to see a line puzzle. I did it and purple/pink (colorblind, sorry) fragments flew to the sky... but that was it. I don't know what I accomplished with that, but just knowing that puzzles could be anywhere got me pumped up for my next sitting!

(right at the beginning, when you come out of that white corridor, I think the floor was, without me knowing at the time, a line puzzle. gotta check it out later)

Top Bottom