• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Traffcore

I literally want to throw my Playstation out the window right now.

I am stuck in
the swamp area, where I just activated the moving platform and now cannot backtrack.

Really loving it so far, but this just pisses me off. Going to sleep on it!

Trace

Banned
Just started the game. All I can think is that Blow was on some serious hardcore drugs while making this.

Also my head hurts.

TheJoRu

That feeling when you're pondering over some new concept you have yet to figure out, drawing line after line. Suddenly you stop right as you have drawn yet another finished line. Before pressing to see it's correct, you for some reason go "that's it, isn't it?" and sure enough it was. You don't know why that particular line struck you as special, but you'd been thinking about this problem for so long that you already knew the answer somewhere deep down in your subconscious, and it didn't quite occur to you until you had a line there in reality that could confirm that. Very strange feeling.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I literally want to throw my Playstation out the window right now.

I am stuck in
the swamp area, where I just activated the moving platform and now cannot backtrack.

Really loving it so far, but this just pisses me off. Going to sleep on it!

Imagine that panel is a lever. How would you make it go the other way?

Cronen

Add me to the list of people stuck in
the swamp area. Managed to solve the puzzle to open the gate after the moving platform bridge, but if I want to progress further in the area I need to complete the panel I am on. It's a red one, with a 4 piece straight vertical tetrimino in the top right corner, and then a two horizontal piece at the bottom, and a one piece in the middle. Getting frustrated. Probably time to call it quits for tonight.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Give up, going to bed. If anyone could PM me the route to get the damn elevator past the broken cable I'd be hugely grateful

gnexus

This game is cryptic and pretty difficult at times, but then I just wander off. I explore the rest of the world, taking screenshot, finding and solving new puzzles. Whenever I find my way back to whatever stumped me, it's usually a lot easier. This game is very enthralling.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So, there is exactly
one rainy cloud in the sky
. That has to be some sort of puzzle at some point, right?

Maybe that's cause now I think about that, but some
other clouds do look very...angly
, don't they? Or am I imagining this now?

Everyone who thinks they are stuck in the Swamp Area ->
that moving platform can be solved in a mirrored way to move it the other direction.

Should help avoid a headache or two!

Any hints for this one?

Tree-shadow
puzzle

You can see that the 'light path' continues off the panel and onto the board. Though it starts in a circle, the light is tricking you, cause it's a bit to the side

Also - I agree with the Kotaku review. Some of the perspective puzzles are finicky :/

Auctopus

This is auto saving yeah?

Going to bed, felt I had some real solid progression for the first hour then my advancement became a little sporadic.

shiba5

OK, down in the sun temple where you
can raise and lower the water. I've got the first two symbols but I can't for the life of me find the right pixel to stand on to get the third one.
Been at this for about an hour now. If I had hair it would be pulled right now.

I'm stuck on the same one. Driving me nuts. Anyone figured this one out?

Give up, going to bed. If anyone could PM me the route to get the damn elevator past the broken cable I'd be hugely grateful

If you find out let me know please.

Did a few more after the moving platform at the swamp but
now stuck on the puzzle with the [: :] piece
don't understand how to incorporate it

If you find out let me know please.

Did a few more after the moving platform at the swamp but
now stuck on the puzzle with the [: :] piece
don't understand how to incorporate it

For the elevator:
which of the ones at the blue floor would turn white if subjected to the green light? Which would still be different? (You just need to have two sections)

Played for about 3 hours and love it but had to take a break because of a small headache.

I actually had a moment where the Giant Bomb quick look helped me realize something Jeff didn't see but I still don't know what to do with the information.

Everyone who thinks they are stuck in the Swamp Area ->
that moving platform can be solved in a mirrored way to move it the other direction.

Should help avoid a headache or two!

You can see that the 'light path' continues off the panel and onto the board. Though it starts in a circle, the light is tricking you, cause it's a bit to the side

Also - I agree with the Kotaku review. Some of the perspective puzzles are finicky :/

I get that, but the perspective is awkward and the shadows aren't hi-res so everything starts blending together. I'm at that point where I'd just want to be told what to do for the remainder of this area :(

Nivert

To those of you feeling dizzy/sick, try messing with your FOV to see if that helps. I just started so I'll let you know if I ever get dizzy personally. Quantum Conundrum is the one and only game to make me feel ill from playing, for what it's worth.

Post detailing where to find the .variables file.

Tool to calculate what vertical FOV setting you should use depending on your desired FOV and resolution.

If you have a 16:9 monitor and want a FOV of 90 (sweet spot for most), 59 is the vertical FOV you'll use.

Don't think it was helping me but I was probably still sick from before anyhow. I think I read they're gonna patch in a reticle of some kind? I'll wait and see if that helps if that's the case.

Sai-kun

Banned
omfg...early vault/bunker spoilers:

i found the windmill/basement where you enter the code that you found in the vault, and unlocked the first...video? What the fuck?

I am slightly in awe of this game, if only because I have no idea what's happening but it makes me feel smart. I also found another floor puzzle in that same room, and I'm trying to figure out the two in the back of the projection room but I can't yet.

this game's so fucking cool. Anyone who's been to the area I described got any pointers for how/where to proceed?

Also I can't quite figure out how to start the desert area. h l p

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Got my first
beam of light
and motion sickness is gone with the fov set.

I'm going at this with no soultion help until at least I 'beat the game'.

I did have a question regarding the talk about the fov being a possible problem for some solutions. Does anyone know which area(s) it would impact?

Got my first
beam of light
and motion sickness is gone with the fov set.

I'm going at this with no soultion help until at least I 'beat the game'.

I did have a question regarding the talk about the fov being a possible problem for some solutions. Does anyone know which area(s) it would impact?

I don't know for sure, but it will probably impact the areas where
perspective
is an issue.

Ibuki

Banned

I'm still not getting it. :(

I tried lining up the light on the side board with the main one, and I tried starting from the right-most dot, I must be doing something else wrong?

LAA

Stuck on a few things...

Theres a grey cloud in the desert area you can shoot a laser at to make white, but still no idea what it enabled me to do. Also the big plate with a sun on it at the back, it seems a hidden sun puzzle, but no matter what angle I'm looking at it, it only "sparks", no line to follow.

Theres also a puzzle in the jungle area that drove me mad, with the purple, orange and green? icons. Basically evolved from black, white and sun icons, and changed the colours of them all to make it more difficult

Loving the game so far though!

justjim89

It's one of the areas where the sun shines the brightest. Look for reflections.

Not all of the screens are
in the sun, though. I got all the ground level ones and the middle top, but the ones on the side aren't in the sun. Do I have to sit here until the sun moves? Does the sun even move?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I don't know for sure, but it will probably impact the areas where
perspective
is an issue.

I got the
beam of light in the Symmetry area, according to Blow's map. I had move around to get some of the answers, unlike the first puzzle involinvg
the rocks that line up perfectly.
I thought maybe that was what he could have been referring to. It's probably some other areas too then.

First impressions after an hour:

Loving the graphics. Reminds me of Journey in the sense that there is "not a single stitch out of place". Visuals are very pleasing and I have yet failed to find anything that is low-res or aesthetically offensive.

Lack of music (so far) is...interesting. It also seems (maybe I'm mistaken?) there is no ambient noise or weather sounds.

Puzzles are perfect so far. I love the subtle lessons you learn in each one but they are very much puzzles and not glorified Red Key Cards like you see in so many videogames nowadays. I'd sooner recommend this to a Picross or Sudoku fan than to a Portal or Myst fan.

Speaking of Myst, this game draws heavily from it in terms of environmental design, and I love that. Puzzles feel connected to the world. Even something as simple as following the glowing [color] power line is very Myst-like.

Do the puzzles continue to play a key role in how you explore and what you explore? Like, other than doors of course, will there be bridges and ladders (or whatever) that open up when you complete puzzles?

Caught me off guard, but it's funny how you cannot jump down from heights. In the starting area, had to run allllll the way around the wall in order to activate the other option on one of the early puzzles instead of just dropping down into the courtyard from my position on the wall.

That feeling when you're pondering over some new concept you have yet to figure out, drawing line after line. Suddenly you stop right as you have drawn yet another finished line. Before pressing to see it's correct, you for some reason go "that's it, isn't it?" and sure enough it was. You don't know why that particular line struck you as special, but you'd been thinking about this problem for so long that you already knew the answer somewhere deep down in your subconscious, and it didn't quite occur to you until you had a line there in reality that could confirm that. Very strange feeling.

As the medium matures, games begin offering experiences that elicit finer and more complex emotional reactions of their players. In the potent nonverbal bonding of Journey. In the oddly immersive acknowledgement of the player as a character in Undertale and Beginner's Guide. In the subconscious ticklings and orchestrated epiphanies of The Witness.

It's a beautiful thing to see. I live for games like this.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
My brain is melting in the swamp once you start
subtracting/omitting as many yellow cubes as there are empty blue ones, or something like that.
Can't get my head around this development. Can solve the first two, but don't fully understand the mechanics to do the more complex ones.

Up to 148 puzzles.

epmode

Lack of music (so far) is...interesting. It also seems (maybe I'm mistaken?) there is no ambient noise or weather sounds.

? There's a ton of ambient noise. Wind, leaves rustling, the hum of machinery, metal structures creaking, etc.

Uninstalled and reinstalled and now I'm annoyed. They tested this thing on Windows 10 right?

This might be better to discuss in the PC performance thread but I'm running OK in WIndows 10 after reducing my refresh rate from 144 to 60. Had tons of stuttering until I did that.

I'm still not getting it. :(

I tried lining up the light on the side board with the main one, and I tried starting from the right-most dot, I must be doing something else wrong?

The transition between the panel and the 'board' is two-wide, by the way. Another poster was stuck on the same thing for this one, just make sure your lower half extends to the edge.

Stuck on a few things...

Theres a grey cloud in the desert area you can shoot a laser at to make white, but still no idea what it enabled me to do. Also the big plate with a sun on it at the back, it seems a hidden sun puzzle, but no matter what angle I'm looking at it, it only "sparks", no line to follow.

Theres also a puzzle in the jungle area that drove me mad, with the purple, orange and green? icons. Basically evolved from black, white and sun icons, and changed the colours of them all to make it more difficult

Loving the game so far though!

For the second one,
no matter how many colors they add, the concept is still the same for the squares: different colored squares must be separated

Not all of the screens are
in the sun, though. I got all the ground level ones and the middle top, but the ones on the side aren't in the sun. Do I have to sit here until the sun moves? Does the sun even move?

IIRC you really just have to find the sweet spot,
where the reflection is the best. They're not directly on the sun, but still reflect a bit from different spots. For the ones on the side I'm pretty sure both are on ground level, with one near the stairs and the other near the first puzzle of the area.

Just jumping in! Not sure if this is a spoiler
I didn't know there were audio logs in this. It sounded like Blow but I'm not sure and he was just quoting Einstein lol

Top Bottom