• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

justjim89

I'm starting to feel like I should've waited for this to be $10. There doesn't seem to be any Fez-like zeitgeist around the game beyond puzzle solutions, and I've got a feeling I'm gonna have to look up the answers to most of these any way. It's not deep, it's just hard, But there aren't any FAQs up yet, so I'm just banging my head around this obtuse, nonsensical puzzles with no idea of what to do.

Phear

250 Puzzles and 6 hours in, i need to go to bed. Nothing got me worried for too long yet, left 2 or 3 Panels behind. I just can't wrap my head around the desert stuff, can't even figure out the first panel there. Hopefully tomorrow..

Made it through 17 puzzles before I had to turn the game off from motion sickness. Edited FOV prior to playing and that didn't help. My head is killing me. Half-Life 1&2 are the only other games to have this effect on me.

Gold_Loot

I'm starting to feel like I should've waited for this to be $10. There doesn't seem to be any Fez-like zeitgeist around the game beyond puzzle solutions, and I've got a feeling I'm gonna half to look up the answers to most of these any way. It's not deep, it's just hard, But there aren't any FAQs up yet, so I'm just banging my head around this obtuse, nonsensical puzzles with no idea of what to do.
... About that...

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Made it through 17 puzzles before I had to turn the game off from motion sickness. Edited FOV prior to playing and that didn't help. My head is killing me. Half-Life 1&2 are the only other games to have this effect on me.

What's your resolution and what did you change it to?

epmode

Damnit. I can't even get it to launch

Yeesh. Try the Steam forum. There's a dedicated tech support subform and the developers are pretty active: http://steamcommunity.com/app/210970/discussions/3/

This game is crazy fun. just wish i could turn up the sensitivity on the controller

Is the controller sensitivity way too low on consoles as well? Takes ages for your character to turn around in the PC version. I just use the mouse.

-MD-

What's the deal with this puzzle? Is the answer in the area or elsewhere? I did all the other ones in that area but I can't figure this one out, and it looks incredibly simple.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Shiiiiit. I did a puzzle by accident.

Spoilers for a building full of plants:

If you've been here you know all the color based puzzles, which I got through...but I messed up at the part with the elevator. As I rose up the different floors, one of them has the wire cut in half which stops you from moving up, and I wasn't sure what to do there yet. I tried to just do the other floors answers but ended up doing one that put me on the floor above the cut wire.

Seen here. What was I supposed to actually do there? It can just be spelled out to me since I got through it already.

Yeesh. Try the Steam forum. There's a dedicated tech support subform and the developers are pretty active: http://steamcommunity.com/app/210970/discussions/3/

Is the controller sensitivity way too low on consoles as well? Takes ages for your character to turn around in the PC version. I just use the mouse.

Yes, sensitivity is super low on PS4 and it can't be altered.

What's the deal with this puzzle? Is the answer in the area or elsewhere? I did all the other ones in that area but I can't figure this one out, and it looks incredibly simple.

It's harder than it looks because it begins to go beyond the panel. Take a look at the whole panel, stand and all

Shiiiiit. I did a puzzle by accident.

Spoilers for a building full of plants:

If you've been here you know all the color based puzzles, which I got through...but I messed up at the part with the elevator. As I rose up the different floors, one of them has the wire cut in half which stops you from moving up, and I wasn't sure what to do there yet. I tried to just do the other floors answers but ended up doing one that put me on the floor above the cut wire.

Seen here. What was I supposed to actually do there? It can just be spelled out to me since I got through it already.

That one took me a while. Each floor has different lighting and changes the colors on the panel; the floor right below the cut wire is blue/green and you can see through the ceiling that the floor of the cut wire is entirely green. So your solution is to get the colors of the blue floor and see which will turn white in green lighting. (Color subtraction and all)

I used the rock grouping to the right as a reference, and that worked.
But I'm not exactly sure that was the 'correct' interpretation.

That's the answer - the stand of the panel is tilted towards the rock, as if the panel was forcefully changed.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I used the rock grouping to the right as a reference, and that worked.
But I'm not exactly sure that was the 'correct' interpretation.

I spent half an hour on this puzzle and I think I know what to do but it doesnt seem to work.

There is a house with a tree inside and 4 panels. Once you turn the panels on I used the branches to show me where the line should go. The first 2 that worked fine but the 3rd I am looking into the branches in EVERY possible angle and there is no route!

gdt

I'm starting to feel like I should've waited for this to be $10. There doesn't seem to be any Fez-like zeitgeist around the game beyond puzzle solutions, and I've got a feeling I'm gonna half to look up the answers to most of these any way. It's not deep, it's just hard, But there aren't any FAQs up yet, so I'm just banging my head around this obtuse, nonsensical puzzles with no idea of what to do.

You got stuck on the trees man haha. Not sure you can really talk.

I spent half an hour on this puzzle and I think I know what to do but it doesnt seem to work.

There is a house with a tree inside and 4 panels. Once you turn the panels on I used the branches to show me where the line should go. The first 2 that worked fine but the 3rd I am looking into the branches in EVERY possible angle and there is no route!

Instead of looking for a path, one of the joints of the branches will look like a circle that you can start from. I'm stuck on the very next one because I can't find a proper path, haha.

What's the deal with the puzzle blocks that have tetris pieces on them?

Their 'training grounds' is in the swamp area

Probably was distracted by the ambient noise of my children, then. I'll play with headphones and that should help. Lol

There's a problem with the sound. Disable 3rd party sound apps or, if you have 7.1 enabled, dumb it down to 5.1.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the Steam patch just now was for?

A second (?) patch has downloaded on my Steam.

Can anybody confirm?

yes

Ibuki

Banned
After being stuck on that single
tree-shadow
puzzle for a while, I blew through the rest super quickly. I love this game.

Instead of looking for a path, one of the joints of the branches will look like a circle that you can start from. I'm stuck on the very next one because I can't find a proper path, haha.

Their 'training grounds' is in the swamp area

haha thanks! its always right there...and I just miss it

Early find in the first area
Anyone else found the audio log on top of the gate you open in the first area? Just wondering because I feel like a lot of people probably missed this one. Edit: the energy gate thing I mean. But there is also an audiolog on top of the roof after you go outside the tunnel.

Oni3298

Early find in the first area
Anyone else found the audio log on top of the gate you open in the first area? Just wondering because I feel like a lot of people probably missed this one. Edit: the energy gate thing I mean. But there is also an audiolog on top of the roof after you go outside the tunnel.

Yep I found this one. It seems a lot of the guides missed it so far.

J Range

Do any puzzles not do anything? I completed a series of panels around the start of the game and it didn't seem to do anything. No glow line leading anywhere, noise, nothing.

zsynqx

Been stuck on this for ages and feels like I'm locked in the swamp and can't access anywhere else.

CZr-_NZW0AE5jPw.jpg

Any clues coz it's driving me nuts. I would just walk away and try something else but I think I'm trapped.

PolishQ

Do any puzzles not do anything? I completed a series of panels around the start of the game and it didn't seem to do anything. No glow line leading anywhere, noise, nothing.

Some of the early panels only exist to teach you a concept which can then be applied to other panels.

Secret about the windmill:
Not the thing UNDER the windmill, but the windmill itself: So yes, it's one of those hidden puzzles. THREE of them actually! Getting all three was a pain in the butt and I think the way I got them may have actually been a glitch, but man looking for those hidden puzzles is fun and I wonder if there'll be any other that move like with the windmill.

Anyways, after that I wandered into the village and promptly got my head blown off by not understanding absolutely any off the panels there. I sort of got how the tetris pieces work down at least. Then I wandered over to the forest and the puzzles there are fun, and then stumbled upon the boat from the trailer. Where will I go next, who knows!

KooopaKid

Banned
This game is different. I like it. Solved 96 puzzles apparently.
The island is beautiful but a bit too static and artificial. Welcome to IKEA Island :)

hydruxo

You know, after playing a few hours I'm kind of starting to think some ambient music would've really enhanced the atmosphere. I completely respect the decision to go with no music though, just personal preference I would've liked some music to listen to while doing puzzles.

justjim89

Some of the perspective stuff is just awful.
Currently in the second basement level of the temple, with the raising and lowering water levels. Some of the panels are just frustrating to find out where they reflect. Slowly raising the water levels over and over wandering around the room trying to find the one spot where the screen reflects. I know what to do, it's just frustrating bullshit.

Top Bottom