• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Been stuck on this for ages and feels like I'm locked in the swamp and can't access anywhere else.

Any clues coz it's driving me nuts. I would just walk away and try something else but I think I'm trapped.

Spoiler images don't work on mobile - can you just post a link instead please?

Feep

Banned
I gave in and installed the game on my Surface 3. Runs horribly but I don't care.

Haven't found a way to tell how many puzzles I've solved just yet, but I'd ballpark maybe 50 thus far.

TheXbox

Holy shit!

So out of the starting area I climbed up the walkway alongside those ruined walls. I looked down at the road and it looked kinda look a line puzzle. So for shits and giggles I tried to interact with it... And it fucking worked! What the hell did I do? I don't even know!

hydruxo

I gave in and installed the game on my Surface 3. Runs horribly but I don't care.

Haven't found a way to tell how many puzzles I've solved just yet, but I'd ballpark maybe 50 thus far.

Go to 'Load game' in the start menu. It'll show you how many puzzles you've completed.

Mindlog

Beat!

Go to 'Load Game' and it will show you the count on your most recent save.

adz2ka

So it seems the consensus are doing approx. 200 puzzles in 5-7 hours.

If there are only 650 puzzles in the game, where on earth are reviewers getting the 80-100 hour mark from??

Grexeno

I just can't handle the second-to-last tutorial puzzle for
separating all the colors (in this case; blue, white, yellow, and red.

Help.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit!

So out of the starting area I climbed up the walkway alongside those ruined walls. I looked down at the road and it looked kinda look a line puzzle. So for shits and giggles I tried to interact with it... And it fucking worked! What the hell did I do? I don't even know!

I found one of those at the boatyard near the starting area. no idea what it does.

Liamc723

The room to your left in the hill directly after the opening area..

How do you solve the puzzle in there, the one on that piece of paper, and there's a hole in the roof?

So it seems the consensus are doing approx. 200 puzzles in 5-7 hours.

If there are only 650 puzzles in the game, where on earth are reviewers getting the 80-100 hour mark from??

I got 250 puzzles in 9 hours.
And then 100 in the following 7.

The room to your left in the hill directly after the opening area..

How do you solve the puzzle in there, the one on that piece of paper, and there's a hole in the roof?

Jot that down in a piece of paper and it will become clear when you can solve it

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Ugh, 900p. No thanks.

I'll have to wait for it to be on one hell of a sale to grab it now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm not exactly asking for help, just venting, but I'm confused about the tetremino puzzles in the swamp scaffolding. I mean, I think I see all the rules of how they can be
grouped
, but it's not accepting my input for one that clearly follows all of the rules I've learned, and there's no real error in it anywhere. Jeez.

justjim89

Any tips on where the sweet spots are in the room with the
raising and lowering water level? This is incredibly frustrating. I solved two of the panels but the rest for the life of me I'm not seeing the spot where it highlights the path.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
OP

Please stop using abload.de for image hosting. It loads images like total ass. The OT loads as if it's squeezing through a dial-up modem.

It's harder than it looks because it begins to go beyond the panel. Take a look at the whole panel, stand and all

That one took me a while. Each floor has different lighting and changes the colors on the panel; the floor right below the cut wire is blue/green and you can see through the ceiling that the floor of the cut wire is entirely green. So your solution is to get the colors of the blue floor and see which will turn white in green lighting. (Color subtraction and all)

That's the answer - the stand of the panel is tilted towards the rock, as if the panel was forcefully changed.

I've read that spoiler part about 10 times and still don't understand how it would change :(

zsynqx

Ok, how do I include the block from the bottom right and have my drawing be facing the right way?

Thanks for your help

The shape you draw doesn't have to be in the same location as the blocks, as long as it's connected to another shape which is surrounding the blocks you are trying to mimic.

Does that makes sense? Reading that back it sounds like a poor explanation :p

oatmeal

Banned
Made it through 17 puzzles before I had to turn the game off from motion sickness. Edited FOV prior to playing and that didn't help. My head is killing me. Half-Life 1&2 are the only other games to have this effect on me.
The Witness is Half Life 3 confirmed

I did something really early on and it was very cool. I'm sure later on I'll be cheating like a mad man just like Braid but for now in Joey voice "Whoa!".

Wozzer

105 puzzles in, and struggled to pull myself away to sleep. It's "one more" taken to its fullest.

Only encountered 4 puzzle boards I've walked away from so far and yet to feel frustrated or stuck. Really enjoying the continual discovery, learning new mechanics with zero hand holding and subtle indication. Very well executed

Nzyme32

I think it's a bit sad that already in just a few hours of the game coming out, people are asking for help with puzzles and their mechanics. It practically destroys part of the joy of the game in my opinion, which is discovering these mechanics and have these moments of inspiration. In a lot of cases, not understanding how to find the mechanisms / solutions is just going to make you more confused later too.

I've found it best to just think on things or explore a bit, and often you get a whole bunch of ideas or a moment of inspiration and work things out, which is so so good in these games. I'd hate to lose that "first time" moment for this game, which is so good with so little knowledge and working things out for yourself

Just came back to the game and when I load it's just a black screen. I have sound and can hear my character walking but I can't even see a light. Is this supposed to happen or is it broken?

Top Bottom