• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

The panel at the
quarry-looking place that pretty much gains you entrance (the Tetris-like blocks)
is giving me a headache. Any tips? I'm ready to take some after trying for half an hour.

justjim89

Seriously, any help on where the
reflective spot/water height
is for this panel? I've been circling this room
adjusting the water
for an hour now and nothing. This is shitty game design, having to aimlessly wander and repeat the puzzle over and over until you happen to luck into the right spot.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This games making me realize something I remember loving about other games whenever it happens, but there's something really satisfying to me about following a cable through an environment that's kind of a puzzle in itself. I remember thinking the same thing about those red lines on the ground in Fallout 4 too, but this game has a way of threading these really elegantly around the world.

zsynqx

yeah but how do you get the 4 part then. i thought it needs to be in the actual shape.
can you help me?

lOFQ0zY.jpg

Nivert

I'm not exactly asking for help, just venting, but I'm confused about the tetremino puzzles in the swamp scaffolding. I mean, I think I see all the rules of how they can be
grouped
, but it's not accepting my input for one that clearly follows all of the rules I've learned, and there's no real error in it anywhere. Jeez.

I think that's the same place I stopped for now and was also confused because I was pretty sure I had it solved.

Just opened my first laser on the
rock island
and I'm crazy about this game already. Been stumped a few times and would wander around until something struck me. So satisfying.

These audio diaries are creepy, though. Are we sure it isn't just going to be a metaphor for
the atom bomb
like Braid?

piccolo85

Some of the perspective stuff is just awful.
Currently in the second basement level of the temple, with the raising and lowering water levels. Some of the panels are just frustrating to find out where they reflect. Slowly raising the water levels over and over wandering around the room trying to find the one spot where the screen reflects. I know what to do, it's just frustrating bullshit.

Having a basic understanding of physics, perspective and how light reflects from surfaces helps...

I've read that spoiler part about 10 times and still don't understand how it would change :(

On the start of the bunker you see the panels through the yellow/blue walls, right? They change the colors of the squares. It's the same thing on the elevator - each floor has a different lighting (red, magenta, blue, cyan, green, white) that will change the colors you see.

From the cyan floor you can see that the floor of the broken cable is green, so you think on what colors of the panel will be the same. The yellow and white will mesh (because both yellow and white have green) while the blue will be different, so you just separate the blue from the rest.

First episode of my playthrough! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlZfguwGyNs

(Spoiler wise, this covers the initial area, the nearby vault, and the canyon area where the puzzles are based on
symmetry
.)

The very beginning got cut off, but all that's missing is me saying "Hello, I'm Arthur..."

Watching this made me realize that I say "uh" and "um" way too much, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it so far, especially having never done a Let's Play before. I'm curious to know what you all think!

Just wanted to say I appreciated how thorough you were in exploring every nook and cranny of the starting area. I experienced multiple epiphanies of stuff I missed just in that area alone. This game is turning my head upside down. I love it.

Grexeno

On the start of the bunker you see the panels through the yellow/blue walls, right? They change the colors of the squares. It's the same thing on the elevator - each floor has a different lighting (red, magenta, blue, cyan, green, white) that will change the colors you see.

From the cyan floor you can see that the floor of the broken cable is green, so you think on what colors of the panel will be the same. The yellow and white will mesh (because both yellow and white have green) while the blue will be different, so you just separate the blue from the rest.
Belgian pls help me with the second to last tutorial puzzle for that area. I've literally been stuck for an hour and a half.

Mifune

Mehmber
I think it's a bit sad that already in just a few hours of the game coming out, people are asking for help with puzzles and their mechanics. It practically destroys part of the joy of the game in my opinion, which is discovering these mechanics and have these moments of inspiration. In a lot of cases, not understanding how to find the mechanisms / solutions is just going to make you more confused later too.

I've found it best to just think on things or explore a bit, and often you get a whole bunch of ideas or a moment of inspiration and work things out, which is so so good in these games. I'd hate to lose that "first time" moment for this game, which is so good with so little knowledge and working things out for yourself

I see people asking for help with the first area. It's not that hard, guys! Just take your time, explore, and the answer will come to you. It's like everyone is hell-bent on being the first to finish or something. Savor this shit.

I got it, cheers. I think it made my nose bleed.

adjusting the water
for an hour now and nothing. This is shitty game design, having to aimlessly wander and repeat the puzzle over and over until you happen to luck into the right spot.
I'm stuck on that exact same fucking one

this sounds like horror for colorblinds like me.

iMax

I don't know what the fuck is going on underneath
the windmill
but I want no part of it. This game, man.

Wow! Just finished the first area.
The rock island with the symmetry puzzles. I was absolutely stumped with the fading yellow puzzles - I kept looking for a way to power the opposite side. Then I realized they wanted me to do the puzzles blind, without the yellow!
Crazy cool stuff.

This game is fascinating. I don't think I've ever played something quite like this.

Is this still selling well on steam?

Also, are some of you halfway donenor something? Some of you sound like ypu are very far in the game o_O

Hik0boshi

adjusting the water

I'm stuck on that exact same fucking one

Stand behind the panel, while it is going down.

Is this still selling well on steam?

Also, are some of you halfway donenor something? Some of you sound like ypu are very far in the game o_O

I have 350 puzzles and 8 out of 11 areas, but that's still half the puzzles (and I'm already dropping my speed considerably) missing with about 17 hours in. I still have a checklist of about 50 things I want to do next.

shame since Blow asked to fill out a survey for guys like us back in 2011, so he had the issue in mind.
guess it got cut.

Yeah, that sucks. I think it's the only one that recquires that, the others in the bunker can still be done by separating tone. Hope it's not a problem when you get there, though!

Grexeno

This one drove me right up the wall. While it doesn't necessarily break a rule, it does paint one in a new light. Here's a hint:

Just because you have to separate the colors, doesn't mean you can't separate two boxes of the same color... as long as no color touches a different color.
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

Thanks

Top Bottom