• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Weetrick

Started playing about an hour ago.

tumblr_inline_mjkdewAk6l1qk15cv.gif

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a place that "teaches you" the Tetris puzzles? I do not understand.

there's a swamp like area. I've only just got there and stopped but the first set of puzzles are basic tetris ones so I assume that's where you learn it.

Completed the Marsh area. The last two major puzzles drove me insane because I could not for the life of me figure out the logic of it. Spent a solid 30 minutes on one puzzle. Then I accidentally stumbled upon the answer and it suddenly made so much sense that the last one was a breeze. The accomplishment feels in this game are ridiculous.

Stoze

Played about 8 hours so far, had to take a break as I'm starting to burn myself out. I haven't really been stuck on anything yet, but I've also just turned away from areas if their panels have stuff I don't recognize/have no clue to do. I believe I discovered early on one of the big "holy shit" things in the game, really reminds me of FEZ in more ways than one, it's awesome. If you're thinking outside of the box you'll probably encounter it fairly early as well.

Spoiler free thoughts;
The game is fantastic so far. Puzzles are generally pretty clever, satisfying, and aren't overly complex, and by that I mean I've never been thrown a 10x10 panel with a mess of symbols and tricks. Once you've demonstrated you've learned the concepts in a handful of puzzles/panels, the game moves you along to new ones. The game is very rewarding despite not really ever having a tangible reward, just knowledge and progress. There's definitely been some good "whoa" moments for me in terms of seeing the solution.

There's been some puzzle design that irked me, in a similar manner to how Talos annoyed me sometimes in requiring a lot of tinkering with the line of set between lasers/receptors. Even in an area where it happens a ton it still didn't bother me too much though. It's kind of a side effect of being a first person puzzler after all.

The art direction is incredible. This game is going to age like fine wine on the level of Windwaker, no exagerration. Sound design is top notch. There's definitely some eerieness there on the other side of the quaint peacefullness thanks to the silence, but enough white noiseish sounds like ocean waves to not make me go insane.

Gonna eat and then get back at it in an hour.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can someone give me a hint for (early game)
the sun temple
I figured out the first panel, but I have no idea why it worked.

mclem

Played for a little over two hours. It's been fairly easy-going thus far - 88 panels done, apparently, two
lasers fired
-
Reflections
and
Bunker

There were, however, three puzzles in amongst those I've done so far that I genuinely thought were brilliant.

The first I got fairly quickly but the baseline idea appealed to me a lot (and the variations on it later on were even better):

The translucent panels near the Reflections section were great; I got the changes to the theme fairly rapidly, but still found them highly enjoyable

The second and third were both in the second section I mentioned above. The first was the first time I got stuck until I got a flash of inspiration, but the flash in question strikes me as entirely above-board and fair play!

The sequence with separating out the coloured blobs, and later having to change how you perceive them. I got the first version of that immediately, but it took me a surprisingly long time to figure out the second, which I'm kicking myself over. The third and final variant caught me out a little bit because I started chasing the wrong goal (trying to get into the nearby red room) but hit on the actual solution without too much hassle.

And the final puzzle in that section I thought was a particularly good example of building on basic concepts

Manipulating the lift, with having to make a mental leap in order to 'skip a floor' once you'd figured out the basic pattern

Curious about what I'm actually getting from some of the side sections; there's a few sequences which were enjoyable and challenging but didn't seem to lead anywhere; I'm guessing the occasional
standalone white panels
have something to do with that in the long run,that's already ringing endgame-or-postgame alarm bells.

As a more general theme: I think perhaps the game over-tests a concept, it's often the case that there's a step or two to get a concept, then - I feel - a few too many interim steps to reinforce it to the user before the final puzzles where it actually gets interesting. That may, of course, purely be an effect of the route I've taken thus far through the game!

I'm a little worried about navigating the island in the long-term, although that said I've climbed the mountain and got a good vantage point of the whole environment, so maybe that'll be okay. I am a little worried about situations of having to find the Last Lousy Panel, though.

Oddly, haven't found any audio logs. Is that normal?

Is there a demo available on the PlayStation store? I'm liking the reviews and impressions but I'm not really huge into puzzle games so I'd rather not drop 40 bucks on a digital title without at least trying it. I'm not seeing a demo which surprises me for a game like this.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a demo available on the PlayStation store? I'm liking the reviews and impressions but I'm not really huge into puzzle games so I'd rather not drop 40 bucks on a digital title without at least trying it. I'm not seeing a demo which surprises me for a game like this.

I generally don't like puzzle games of this sort either, but this game is brilliant. The exploration, art style, and types of puzzles are all fantastic so far. Played for about 4 hours.

mattp

watched the giantbomb quicklook as a test, before i wasted my money
god i wanna play this game even more than before
and god, i feel like SHIT from watching that
someone send me some ginger

Neoweee

175 down in 4 hours. I definitely got stuck a few times for 10~20 minutes, and more than a few have made me say "fuck this!" and head elsewhere.

Definitely liking it so far.

A notepad and scratch paper has been helpful.

hughesta

Banned
The left and rightmost panels in the desert at the top of the
sun temple
are ruining me, there's no way I've seen to
get the glare on those screens.
any tipa?

Mik2121

I think it's the wobbling. I feel the same way.

I came here to check the same thing. I rarely get dizzy from games, but this game is making me want to puke. I tried changing the FOV and I still couldn't keep playing. I was fine for about an hour before it started to really effect me. Then I started heating up just like with the first oculus devkit. I really hope this is addressed.

Yup. I have the same problem. It's now right on the nausea list for me together with the beginners guide and talos principle. Can play TF2 for hours...

Btw: what do you mean with wobbling? I didn't pay attention.

Holy crap, I've just been sat in my kitchen with my flatmate telling her how I feel sick and light headed after playing this for a few hours. I'm lying in bed now and I still feel like I'm close to vomiting.

What the hell. I've never had this happen with a game before.
Huh... so it seems to be more common than I thought. Wonder if it's the head movement or the rotation speed or the FOV that bothers me... I really wanna play the game more so I hope I can fix this (can't change the FOV on PS4 so wish me luck).

sun temple
any tipa?
If you look at them from the ground, there should be a couple angles where you can see them. I remember the one closer to the stairs can be seen from pretty much next to the stairs, but the scaffolding kind of hides it a bit so you have to move around to see the full thing.

sun temple
any tipa?

it's all about perspective. just as before, keep moving around until the sun shows you the path. you'll find it eventually. the answers to those two are in some more unorthodox spots than the previous ones.

This game is incredible so far. I really hope this isn't forgotten by the time the GOTY awards roll around, this is a very unique gaming experience that deserves praise.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Played quite a bit today. The save system is well done. I actually got half-way through a panel puzzle when I got suddenly very stupid and was trapped on a catwalk. Choosing load a game, they saved just before I entered the area. I'll return there when I'm a big boy.

Getting that first trophy felt great. And the
Riddler like environmental totem puzzles are so good!

Stoze

That's unfortunate about the motion sickness.

I will say it definitely has a low FOV on PS4, and the horizontal turning is really damn slow. Took me a while to get used to it.

*MAJOR Puzzle/Secret SPOILERS*
Just found my first 2 environmental puzzles, under the elevator in the desert, and the sun discs/stairs. Not sure they did anything other than make symbols appear on the obelisks. I take it that the non-glowing ones represent other environmental puzzles I haven't found yet?

Top Bottom