• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Ibuki

Banned
Need help on a (location)
swamp
puzzle

I think I understand the mechanic
tetris
but I cannot seem to solve this one.
I am having trouble surrounding the single block, since you can't fully wrap around it.

Any hints would be much appreciated!

boeso

Started playing about an hour ago.

tumblr_inline_mjkdewAk6l1qk15cv.gif

haha same here. I got stuck pretty early on and just hopped on that
boat
and never looked back.

Atrophis

Day one done. About 6 hours in, 154 panels solved. I am hardy a great puzzle solver but I haven't had too much trouble so far. Whenever I get stumped I just move on to the next area and explore and sooner or later you learn something new that will help you. I know its going to get harder. I feel like this is building up to one large meta puzzle that is going to be incredibly difficult to crack.

I have only just seen the last couple of areas of the island after all these hours
when I first went to the swampy area near the ship I wondered what the point of it was because it looked empty, came back 6 hours later and actually bothered to look up!

I'm loving it. You can see why this took so long to make. Every little nook and cranny has some tiny hand crafted detail that makes it unique and it just brings the entire island alive wonderfully. Bravo Mr Blow and team. This is probably the best realised world since Riven.

Only real let down is lack of story tying everything together. Maybe that will be revealed later but so far the audio clips aren't doing much for me. Game really could do with music too. I've only come across one sound based puzzle so far so the reasons for leaving it out don't seem strong.

Sulik2

Anyone else having issues with nausea on the PS4? I just played for an hour and am now fighting puking and have a splitting headache. I haven't had a game do this to me since Fable 3.

I discovered something just all by myself and felt like an all powerful being.
Now I am seeing them everywhere!
My panels solved has now gone from 48 to 72 solved, +6.

Does anyone know how many + puzzles there are?

TSM

I can't play first person games without getting ill, so I made sure to buy some dramamine before this launched. It's highly recommended if this game is bothering you.

254 puzzles in. It's best to move a long if you hit a new concept you don't get yet. I mostly figured out the tetra block puzzles without doing the swamp, but it's not recommended.

Need help on a (location)
swamp
puzzle

I think I understand the mechanic
tetris
but I cannot seem to solve this one.
I am having trouble surrounding the single block, since you can't fully wrap around it.

Any hints would be much appreciated!

You can put the blocks in any other, if they're connected: so if you plan on connecting them, plan a way to reach the 4-block one USING the 4-block one. It should help if you start from the bottom.

Any help on the bamboo forest? I suck at
audio cues

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I am in love with this game, I am only 80 panels +14 deep, but this shit is actually making me take notes and be stumped for awhile and just move on for a bit.

I agree with all the reviewers though, I don't feel like looking at a guide is a great idea if you want the full experience. I was so fucking confused by the
desert
location right at the beginning and how to activate things that I felt like a fool when I solved it.

Ibuki

Banned
You can put the blocks in any other, if they're connected: so if you plan on connecting them, plan a way to reach the 4-block one USING the 4-block one. It should help if you start from the bottom.

Any help on the bamboo forest? I suck at
audio cues

I'm not sure what you mean?
I have to surround every yellow symbol to pass the puzzle (I think). What do you mean I can put the blocks in any other?

Mik2121

I was having alot of fun until I hit the end of the water reflection part. Now I'm ready to delete this game
Are you talking about the part near the beginning with the
rock layouts between the arid area and the desert?
If so, don't give up! I assume you're probably quite close to the solution (as it's not too dificult), there's just a small twist to it that will make sense once you get it right.

I'm not sure what you mean?
I have to surround every yellow symbol to pass the puzzle (I think). What do you mean I can put the blocks in any other?

Sorry, not other, order!
As in, the two-block one may go on the top, for example, with the one-block on top of the 'symbol' for it.

Are you talking about the part near the beginning with the
rock layouts between the arid area and the desert?
If so, don't give up! I assume you're probably quite close to the solution (as it's not too dificult), there's just a small twist to it that will make sense once you get it right.
Nah.
It's the reflections in the water. Literally the very last one. I've seen 2 seperate reflection for it and I feel like I'm doing it right but apparently not

Mik2121

Oh, I see. I'm not quoting you in order to not spoil myself (I checked your spoil slowly and read all the way to a part I don't recognize so I assume I haven't been there). Good luck then! :p

newsguy

So far I've solved everything I've come across. For the first time I got stumped, but I'm not sure if it's because I've reached an area where the game hasn't taught me the mechanics for yet and I shouldn't be there. I was in the bright pink tree area
where you're solving the tree puzzles. At one point I activated the final tree but the line led to nowhere. So I just continued and came across a windmill. I got in and went downstairs. There are black and white dot puzzles in there but I have no idea how to do them. They have these 2 white triangles at the bottom by the start point but I don't know what they mean. Then there's some theater room with some weird hexagonal puzzle by the entrance. Never seen that puzzle either. I'm mot sure if I should just leave and hope the game teaches me later.

DavidDesu

Wow I just started playing on PS4 and the image quality is almost perfect. Such a clean looking game running without a hitch at 60fps. Yeah it's graphically simple but it still looks amazing. Great art and design and technically proficient. Saddens me that this isn't PSVR at the moment, I hope they work on making it so, seems like it would technically be a great game to work with it. It actually gives me hope that we will see some really cool stuff in this kind of simplified (but not overly simple) graphical style for PSVR. I'd be happy to be in this world and ones like it (No Man's Sky says hi).

Only 5 minutes in and I can see myself spending hours in this game, feels like a perfect chill out tool while also keeping your brain active. This for the quiet times, Bloodborne for the times I want to take my anxiety to the next level. PS4, great stuff. ;)

Haunted

As someone who greatly respects and has faith in Jonathan Blow, but also raised a skeptical eyebrow as it became known that the game would be (mostly) line puzzles...

I'm blown away by the creativity, intelligence and game design savvy at display here.

Even just an hour in, already probably one of the smartest games I've ever played.

la_briola

Love the game so far. The maze section was awesome, and so was the end of it that
activated the laser
. The other part where you had to walk over the glass tiles to solve those puzzles was a bit harder, but I solved all four of it eventually. But I couldn't solve the puzzle of all four sections combined yet. It just isn't possible to recreate the same way I walked before.

Same issue as me,
flipping the left side horizontal and/or vertical
doesn't help either.

Anyone has a hint?

Ibuki

Banned
Sorry, not other, order!
As in, the two-block one may go on the top, for example, with the one-block on top of the 'symbol' for it.

I cannot wrap my brain around what you mean.
I feel so dumb! The 'symbol' has to be included within the shape you are making? Or that is totally wrong?

Ibuki

Banned
This puzzle is driving me fucking insane guys. I've come back to it about 10 times and just can't figure out what it's trying to tell me.

I was stuck on that one forever!
imagine what it would look like if the light (instead of being skewed to the side) was overlaying the puzzle grid. keep in mind there is a two space gap where the light goes off the board (this got me good).

Woodchipper

Trying to use the kind of logic you use in IQ-tests in this game is no use. I'm starting to get mad at some of these puzzles. Some appear to be impossible really.

hughesta

Banned
This final,
sloooooowly rotating panel in the
desert is killing me.
I can only get the glare on the very bottom of it, and can't even tell what I'm supposed to be drawing.

This is the most frustrating puzzle so far.

DanSaxon

83 puzzles in an hour of play time and I'm finally stuck
In the desert ruins where you raise and lower the water, the reflection for the third panel is escaping me

Top Bottom