• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

FiraB

Banned
These observational puzzles on the beach are great until you get to the third one, then it breaks its own rules and confuses the hell outta ya. I havent thought this much in a game since forever...

jett

D-Member
Error out the puzzle and it'll reset to the bottom.

The very very end?
Like you're outside already? That one acutally plays it straight and is just a normal seperation line puzzle.

Ah hell LOL. I guess I need to improve dem line-making skills. BTW was there a proper way of getting the previous puzzle? I'm pretty sure I just guessed that one and got a lucky break.

Ah hell LOL. I guess I need to improve dem line-making skills. BTW was there a proper way of getting the previous puzzle? I'm pretty sure I just guessed that one and got a lucky break.
I had to guess for the last of
Cherry Blossoms
puzzles. Luckily I only had 12 paths.

BlazinAm

These observational puzzles on the beach are great until you get to the third one, then it breaks its own rules and confuses the hell outta ya. I havent thought this much in a game since forever...
Is this where that sun temple building is?

stuck at the sun temple building, where the three puzzle panels are at the top

Sai-kun

Banned
I need some tips for the Quarry area:

I don't understand the upside-down Y looking objects, or how they affect the pathing I'm supposed to follow on the puzzles. Could someone give me a few tips as to how I should be interpreting the Y's?

Also, how do I actually pick up
audio logs? Apparently I went right by one but I didn't see it nor did I see any way to interact with it

Quoted for a new page, sorry ><

czarship

So which version should I get? How exactly are do you interact with the finger puzzles on a dual shock 4 as opposed to a mouse and keyboard? I'm torn

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I also flubbed into it actually. But what you're meant to do is
look at the ceilings/floor to see the color of the room beyond the cut wire then use color subtraction to get the colors that would display on the panel.

The easiest hint for the actual line puzzle you're on would be
focus on the the blue first. There's only one way to enclose it that makes the puzzle possible.

Wow. Just damn. Bought it and only was able to play for a little bit. Just got done with the yellow tutorial, the green tutorial, and the blue tutorial. So the first 3 lines of panels that you see.

The island is AWESOME, and I haven't even seen 10% of it. I already want to dive back in.

I swore I saw something at the beginning though with the
tree outside of the force field thing in the VERY beginning area. It looked like the branches behind the grid could've been an answer to the puzzle. I was too lazy to check it out though so I just went straight for the flashing light.

jett

D-Member
I also flubbed into it actually. But what you're meant to do is
look at the ceilings/floor to see the color of the room beyond the cut wire then use color subtraction to get the colors that would display on the panel.

Yeaaa I'm guessing most people are just gonna guess it.

downloaded today and got started. i really like it so far but feel like i may have permanently screwed myself out of a couple of puzzles. can someone tell me whether those screens are lost to me? i would probably restart since i am still early if i did. early game spoilers.

i am in the area out over the water where you have to move the yellow and blue lines at the same time. i got through what i think are most of them and removed the lock from the door. up at the top of the island, it seems like you have to solve puzzles in blue without the dots being there the same way you solved it in yellow right across the way. i was on the phone and trying to do the blue side from memory rather than being careful and the screen turned off. am i fucked?

I need some tips for the Quarry area:

I don't understand the upside-down Y looking objects, or how they affect the pathing I'm supposed to follow on the puzzles. Could someone give me a few tips as to how I should be interpreting the Y's?

See the panel that controls the ramp? No matter which way you take it, the dot you didn't grab will flash red, and after a while it will be white. That's the 'Y'.

http://www.picpar.com/AnGb
I've been here for over an hour.

There's only three spots you can put the
two 2-long blocks separated by 2-blocks. Start from there, and it's an irregular figure.

downloaded today and got started. i really like it so far but feel like i may have permanently screwed myself out of a couple of puzzles. can someone tell me whether those screens are lost to me? i would probably restart since i am still early if i did. early game spoilers.

i am in the area out over the water where you have to move the yellow and blue lines at the same time. i got through what i think are most of them and removed the lock from the door. up at the top of the island, it seems like you have to solve puzzles in blue without the dots being there the same way you solved it in yellow right across the way. i was on the phone and trying to do the blue side from memory rather than being careful and the screen turned off. am i fucked?

You have to solve the previous puzzle again, most likely. It's too avoid guesswork.

So I did a couple puzzles in the swamp to learn the Tetris pieces and I thought I understood but apparently not. Are they just hard or am I missing a big part of it? I went uostairs in the swamp and completed the first red on of each set in the tower thing.

Just redo the one right before it and it'll re activate

Shahadan

When the screen turns off you have to re-do the previous puzzle (if linked by a cable of course). It's a small punishment so you're not inclined to try whatever to complete the puzzle by luck

element

The game is beautiful and enjoyable, but some of the puzzles feel impossible. They have zero context. No rules explained. Feels more like trial and error and even when you get one right, you don't have an 'oh i get it' just a 'WTF, i guess that is how it works...'

vehn

Guess everyone ignored the advice in the OP of not getting help, and want instead for people to hand hold them through it

The game is beautiful and enjoyable, but some of the puzzles feel impossible. They have zero context. No rules explained. Feels more like trial and error and even when you get one right, you don't have an 'oh i get it' just a 'WTF, i guess that is how it works...'

I doubt there is one puzzle in this game with zero context.

This game is superb.

I haven't felt this way about a single puzzle so far. When I've been stumped, I just slow down and consider my surroundings. It's a game that teaches you how to learn.

That usually means you have to go to another area to learn the answer.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm been doing the panels near the water where you need to draw around the rock structures in the water and sometime actually position the camera so that the rocks in the water fit in the grid...

I've been stuck on the last one of those for a while. I tried different camera angles but there's way too many rocks in the water and have no idea how to align it.

zsynqx

So badass!

CZsi2taWwAAtExH.jpg:large

Sai-kun

Banned
I'm been doing the panels near the water where you need to draw around the rock structures in the water and sometime actually position the camera so that the rocks in the water fit in the grid...

I've been stuck on the last one of those for a while. I tried different camera angles but there's way too many rocks in the water and have no idea how to align it.

Maybe it's not rocks?

See the panel that controls the ramp? No matter which way you take it, the dot you didn't grab will flash red, and after a while it will be white. That's the 'Y'.

Hmmmmm I'm sort of starting to get it but it's just not clicking for me yet. Thank you though :)

Edit:
wtf now I have Y's AND green/red blocks? What is this game :(

FiraB

Banned
Ok johnation is officially a sadistic genius, his onservational puzzles are utterly brilliant took me a hour but I got it.

symmetry island conquered.

Shahadan

ok, wtf, that's enough. 100 puzzles in and now I'm a dumbass apparently. Got to the Swamp tutorial and my brain left the room.

http://imgur.com/rGcvdxT
http://imgur.com/5sbIfr1

Someone please explain this to me like I'm 5. Feel free to draw a pretty picture while laughing. NO HINTS, BREHS, JUST THE ANSWERS, I'VE BEEN HERE TOO LONG, IF YOU GIVE ME A HINT I'M GONNA SNAP

Haha I was stuck on those two for an hour before giving up.

zsynqx

ok, wtf, that's enough. 100 puzzles in and now I'm a dumbass apparently. Got to the Swamp tutorial and my brain left the room.

http://imgur.com/rGcvdxT
http://imgur.com/5sbIfr1

Someone please explain this to me like I'm 5. Feel free to draw a pretty picture while laughing. NO HINTS, BREHS, JUST THE ANSWERS, I'VE BEEN HERE TOO LONG, IF YOU GIVE ME A HINT I'M GONNA SNAP

Solved the first one for someone already :p

http://i.imgur.com/rlZHaWf.jpg

Edit: Sorry wrong puzzle

I've been stuck plenty of times, but seeing people stuck on very particular puzzles that just seemed to click with me right away makes me feel great. I'm sure others would find some of the ones that stumped me pretty embarrassing though. It's fascinating how certain concepts resonate with different people.

Top Bottom