• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

gtx 660 1 gig
i5 2500k
more than enough ram...

pc or ps4?

or rather, will i be able to get the same or a better exp on my pc than if i were to get it on ps4?

if so i will prob go the humble bundle route

Hahaha, I agree. There's a bajillion of them, and some that rely on the reverse mechanic, too. I had to take a break from them.

So like...
if there's 4 green dots that I need to separate, I really only need to find a way to separate 3?

Yeah, one of the greens can be in a section of reds, as long as the Y is in the same section.

So Witness is just gonna change the rules like that huh

sYQ3rLV.gif

I see you Jon Blow.

But it didn't change, haha. It's expanding upon them and laughing at you
and me

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ugh, what the hell am I missing here? I'm fairly sure I've tried every single possible configuration, but I don't see how it's possible to trace the necessary outlines without double backing. I've been staring at this forever.

http://i.imgur.com/r0zkmmf.jpg

Qblivion

I feel like the lessons I learned from the tutorial in the
swamp
are at odds with the first non tutorial puzzle. So I must not be understanding the rules. Can someone explain them to me?

God damn, these made me feel like a genius (
Tree outlines part 2
)
http://i.imgur.com/IgJdfCg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GpO9lML.jpg
I mean, it's just the same principle of the previous puzzles, but I hadn't
made the connection between the tree in the room and the panels until it just clicked and I realized the branches and panels lined up

But that last one is kicking my butt. I have some idea of what I need to do.
I know where I start
http://i.imgur.com/lEJqJgl.jpg
But I think this is supposed to tell me about the path of the line in the gap
http://i.imgur.com/8PYBDRE.jpg

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Hm. Thanks for the answer. I've completed 100 panels and
sent two lights to the top of the mountain, but I have yet to find the map. I'll keep looking though :)

It is very early:
It's right next to the dessert. You don't need any other tools up to that point. There will be a boat at the end of the area. It will be the one with the shadow puzzles.

I am so stuck under the windmill 0.o

Leave and explore. See above spoiler.

Sai-kun

Banned
How man, HOW?!

http://imgur.com/a/lTO64

I feel like such a dope. I figured
you just need to follow the lines shadows like usual but I've tried 100 different combinations.

Second puzzle that's stumped me for longer than 10 minutes.

down, left, down, right to the corner, up, up, up, left, left, up, left to the end.

Let me know what you come up with when you get to the one after this one :p that's where I'm stuck at too.

Bildocube

Just try moving outside the temple. I think I got the two side panels from being outside the temple.

Thanks!

I can't get the bottom one of the four however. The one facing down. I don't see anyway the sun could reflect that guy.... any hints?

Afrodium

Banned
Spoiler everywhere in this thread! I just wanted to pop in and say that this game is great. I'm amazed at how dense this is. There's always something new and interesting just around the corner.

Also, when Blow says this game has 700+ puzzles, is that panels? The game says I've already completed over 100 in a few hours. Granted, it's probably easier to clear out the beginning puzzles quickly, but it seems like I'm going pretty fast.

Zodzilla

I just want to say after playing about 6 hours of this game that its puzzles are brilliant, and shame on anyone asking for help in solving any of them this early in its release.

There were two puzzles that I was stuck on, but I took my mind of it and had an epiphany while showering and solved them right away,

Much like Braid, the beauty of Blow's puzzles is that what puzzles seem insurmountable can be solved, and if you're not the one personally solving them then you're literally robbing yourself of the experience. Solving them is the reward.

I could understand people caving weeks or months down the line, but people are asking for help and solutions when the game's only been out for like 9 hours. Crazy!

Also I'm now starting to see line puzzles everywhere I look, even outside of the game in real life. Dammit Blow, you've rewired my brain!

Psykotik

God damn, these made me feel like a genius (
Tree outlines part 2
)
http://i.imgur.com/IgJdfCg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GpO9lML.jpg
I mean, it's just the same principle of the previous puzzles, but I hadn't
made the connection between the tree in the room and the panels until it just clicked and I realized the branches and panels lined up

But that last one is kicking my butt. I have some idea of what I need to do.
I know where I start
http://i.imgur.com/lEJqJgl.jpg
But I think this is supposed to tell me about the path of the line in the gap
http://i.imgur.com/8PYBDRE.jpg

im stuck at this exact puzzle. last pillar hurts my brain.

Dominator

down, left, down, right to the corner, up, up, up, left, left, up, left to the end.

Let me know what you come up with when you get to the one after this one :p that's where I'm stuck at too.
I swear I had at least 80% of it correct. The triple up's messed me. On to the next, if I get it I'll post for you. Thanks again.

Kensuke

Completely stumped on this puzzle

Puzzle type:

An earlier poster was stuck on this too, but he somehow figured it out. I dunno what I should pay attention to though.
The path on the tree above the panel or the path on the left on the orange board. I tried multiple combinations with either or both, but I just can't even understand how it's supposed to align. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. Any hints? I'm dying over here haha.

Far be it from me to tell people the "right way" to play a game, but I do think there's a certain benefit in taking your time here and thinking slow. If you think you're stuck, go explore another area or hell, put the game down for a bit and come back. I somehow got stuck early on and I came back in ten minutes and got it no trouble. Hell, put the game down until after work tomorrow. Soak it in!

A few hours and 119 puzzles in, I think I'm going to call it a night. Can't wait until I have a day off so I can really put some time into it. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the game and I absolutely love the variety of ways that puzzles are solved. I can't believe there are still people saying this game is "just line puzzles" - they couldn't be more wrong. Also, the island is so goddamn gorgeous. I've never been so drawn into a puzzle game.

Dominator

I got it, and you might feel dumb if you haven't yet. I tried a bunch then figured I'd give this path a go and got it. Was shocked.

Up, left, down

That's it lol

I said I was going to take a break about 5 times before giving in and playing more, but I think this is it. 374 panels solved, 10 areas completed, and I still feel like I didn't explore a tenth of the game. This is outright amazing.

Solved 106 panels tonight. This game is unbelievably good. So weird but so awesome, I'm pretty much in love with it at the moment.

There are a few puzzles I know I don't have the knowledge to solve just yet, but aside from those, only one has me completely stumped. I'm going to leave it for now, assuming I might learn something elsewhere. Otherwise I'll just come back to it later and see what I'm missing.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

Picked it up and put in 2.5 half hours and the time flew by. I'd make progress, got the first trophy that seems to be what 50% of the people get and then wandered into this new area. The one thing that bugs me is the first like door puzzle outside the tutorial I know I'm slowing correctly but it doesn't open. So I'm moving on. For now.

I really think adding the free roaming of the island on top of the puzzle panels really helps the games ability to keep you going forward. It's like Myst but Myst puzzle I felt were way too obtuse. I like how the game teaches you that areas themes with steady progressions

oatmeal

Banned
Doing the tree ones through the shuttered Windows. Second one lines up perfectly but it's not working. Fuck off. Resets the first one too.

megalowho

A few hours in. The island is just breathtaking to explore, vivid colors and intriguing architecture at every turn. Feels like there's potential for secrets and puzzle solutions everywhere, which gives the already beautiful environments even more potency.

And the puzzles.. already have had a few satisfying a-ha moments, a page full of handwritten graph mazes and one audible "fuuuuck"
up in the treehouses
. Learning and unlearning the rules and limits of the game is incredibly satisfying, even knowing I'm barely scratching the surface.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Doing the tree ones through the shuttered Windows. Second one lines up perfectly but it's not working. Fuck off. Resets the first one too.

I had some issues with this one last night too. Eventually got it but it seemed overly finicky.

Just over 5 hours played and I have definitely hit my wall for one day. Managed to only solve a few puzzles over the last 3 hours. The tetris things are really messing with me. I am solving most of them and understand what you are supposed to do but I don't get it. Definitely time to rest my eyes and brain.

What a fucking weird and amazing game.

So, some spoilery stuff about what I assume is an extra hidden thing:

I stumbled into this theater area and then put in the solution to the "honeycomb" puzzle near the beginning of the game and then some James Burke movie started playing. Scared the shit out of me.

Another spoiler, unrelated to the above one, again about a hidden thing:

The environmental puzzles, as in the ones that aren't tied to a screen at all and shoot some sparkly stuff out at the black columns. I have no idea what's going on there. I assume those are the +some number on the save screen?

So, some spoilery stuff about what I assume is an extra hidden thing:

I stumbled into this theater area and then put in the solution to the "honeycomb" puzzle near the beginning of the game and then some James Burke movie started playing. Scared the shit out of me.

Another spoiler, unrelated to the above one, again about a hidden thing:

The environmental puzzles, as in the ones that aren't tied to a screen at all and shoot some sparkly stuff out at the black columns. I have no idea what's going on there. I assume those are the +some number on the save screen?

For the second one,
yeah - check the black pillars around the world.

Any speculations on the flower/sun like symbol that appears everywhere? On the main gate, on cards, pillow, the 'drawings' in the Sun Temple..

Sai-kun

Banned
Yup I was did it I was like "no way..." and then when it clicked I went "NO FUCKING WAY" haha

Let me know if you get this one.

http://imgur.com/a/agrtb

I first went this path but got stuck here and went to the other side where we just were. Can't figure this one out for the life of me.
the secret is to start from the point on the upper right, and follow the pattern in light until you get to shadow, and then make use of the pattern that's on the beam in front of/to the right of the panel.

You and I seem to be pretty close in game, haha. I'm on the one right after this one.

I looked everywhere in the house for graph paper and realized I didn't own any which was disgraceful and disheartening. Printing graph paper onto blank paper has really upped the feeling of going crazy while playing this game.

Brashnir

I just hit a puzzle in the
treehouse
area that doesn't seem to follow the rules as I've seem them up to this point in the sequence. Is there a rule I'm missing that should be logical here, or do I need to come back after exploring some?

Rules as I know them:
*8-pointed stars must live in pairs with one another
*8-pointed stars can only live with the opposite color square blocks

Here is the puzzle in question:

k2R9zC8.png

Obviously I can't create a pair of the stars. I've tried just about everything I can think of to do with that one star and nothing makes progress.

EDIT - And of course I go back for "one more try..." and get it. I swore I had tried that solution before, but maybe there was something off about it. The next puzzle right after it would have been a way better tutorial for that twist.

Top Bottom