• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

I PROMISE THIS IS THE ONLY HELP I'LL ASK FOR but how the hell do
these garden maze things (near where the knights are) work? I've solved the first few by sheer luck but I'm stuck on the last one.

Tankard

Started playing for an hour or so, absolutely love it so far.
Up til here i like the fact you can choose what point to start the puzzle, it's a good brain teaser to imagine several scenarios, or the fact you can change colours in the puzzles
Game is so gorgeous, i love when you get past some scenarios and see the reflections on the water.

Didn't advance much, stopped after
i found the first tape
. Need to start the game earlier tomorrow, can't stop thinking about it 1 hour after exiting it.

Phionoxx

Not to be an idiot but safe to say you can just go to the dashboard on PS4 and close application and it auto saves your progress when you exit the game?

Well, I've solved 78 (+1?) puzzles, I'm on
the town
right now and I can't see me solving any puzzle right now so I guess it's time to go to sleep. The good thing is that I've found 7 audios so far in the game (I think is a good number), don't understand shit other than concepts but I took notes to investigate later.

Dominator

the secret is to start from the point on the upper right, and follow the pattern in light until you get to shadow, and then make use of the pattern that's on the beam in front of/to the right of the panel.

You and I seem to be pretty close in game, haha. I'm on the one right after this one.
That makes sense, I figured I'd have to angle it strangely. But damn, I still can't get it. Don't give me the answer I want to figure it out, but it's driving my insane.

Can I get a small hint for the Town, on the
point graph? I can see it's related to the apple tree but I don't see how.
? My biggest roadblock so far, ever since I had about 50 puzzles, haha.

antitrop

Should I buy it? I love puzzle games and have a 20$ psn card to spend
Games like this don't come out very often, I feel like it deserves to be rewarded.

I think the game is incredible so far, but I'm only like 2 hours in. I don't even like puzzle games. You can tell right away that it's special.

oatmeal

Banned
Completely stumped on this puzzle

Puzzle type:

An earlier poster was stuck on this too, but he somehow figured it out. I dunno what I should pay attention to though.
The path on the tree above the panel or the path on the left on the orange board. I tried multiple combinations with either or both, but I just can't even understand how it's supposed to align. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. Any hints? I'm dying over here haha.

I'm stuck on last pillar. Exact same thought process as you here.

BKG

Banned
Sooo if I'm not a huge fan of puzzles will I enjoy the game? Not to say I loath them but I've never bought a 40$ puzzle game in my life, but this seems intriguing.

On one hand I commend the game for trying to teach you new mechanics/rules without using text or a traditional tutorial, but at times I am passing puzzles without fully understanding the rule.

At least there is enough to do that you can wander off and find another set to work on. I like the puzzles that are more about working with/observing the environment.

TSM

I'm calling it quits for the night with 289 puzzles solved. Looking forward to more tomorrow.

Can I get a small hint for the Town, on the
point graph? I can see it's related to the apple tree but I don't see how.
? My biggest roadblock so far, ever since I had about 50 puzzles, haha.

Check the main branches and you might notice a slight similarity with the puzzle.

On one hand I commend the game for trying to teach you new mechanics/rules without using text or a traditional tutorial, but at times I am passing puzzles without fully understanding the rule.

The game likes to make you think you understand the rules and then throw a twist at you. If it spelled the rules out the game would be less interesting.

Oh GOD (environment spoiler)!!! I'll break it up into two spoilers, one for location, one for thing:

the temple/pagoda with the tree and the bonsai puzzle

if you look at the fresco of the angel through the rusted out metal walls, the outline of the rust holes changes things so it looks like she has harpy/demon legs

AHHHHH

Sai-kun

Banned

At least there is enough to do that you can wander off and find another set to work on. I like the puzzles that are more about working with/observing the environment.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I mostly finished the Quarry and the Y puzzles (except the last one :() and while I sort of get it, I'm not sure I could explain it.

That makes sense, I figured I'd have to angle it strangely. But damn, I still can't get it. Don't give me the answer I want to figure it out, but it's driving my insane.

You can do it! :D Just keep messing with the shapes.

I moved on to The Castle (?) area, and boy am I excited 😒😒😒
stepping on platforms to actually solve stuff is gonna be a pain in the ass haha. And these hedge mazes are tough! I'm only on the third one and stumped.

34 puzzles in and I'm already getting my ass handed to me. I just encountered this panel with 2 "L"s on it and have probably drawn 100 lines to no avail. I hope the game isn't full of these panels with incredibly vague clues because I won't survive it lol. Anyone have a tip for that one?

So this is it, I'm very going to sleep now. Puzzle count 79... +2(?) does anyone know what that +2 means?

I've solved two
triangle puzzles, and one with the paper you obtain at the bunker early in the game. Could it be referring to the triangle puzzles?

Edit: Oh I think
I solved two enviromentals puzzles at the town, those with the magical fireworks.

Question!

So these puzzles have these cables that lead to another puzzle. And another puzzle. But I just completed one that ends somewhere with no more cables...and nothing happened. What gives?! Is this normal?

TSM

Oh GOD (environment spoiler)!!! I'll break it up into two spoilers, one for location, one for thing:

the temple/pagoda with the tree and the bonsai puzzle

if you look at the fresco of the angel through the rusted out metal walls, the outline of the rust holes changes things so it looks like she has harpy/demon legs

AHHHHH

The game startled me good earlier
when I turned a corner after coming down from central tower in the castle. I had noticed the statue there earlier but I wasn't expecting a human shape to appear right then.

So this is it, I'm very going to sleep now. Puzzle count 79... +2(?) does anyone know what that +2 means?

I've solved two
triangle puzzles, and one with the paper you obtain at the bunker early in the game. Could it be referring to the triangle puzzles?

The + is the number of
hidden lines you've found in the world outside of panels.

gnexus

The
greenhouse/colored elevator
section had some pretty incredible art direction and use of color. I'm pretty sure I just sat back and looked around everywhere.

If I had any photoshop skills I would adjust this image to reflect "The Witness" after 1 hour, 5 hours, etc. I don't know why it jumped to mind, but it seems fitting for the difficulty curve.

ylW2S.jpg

BlazinAm

The Pink Forest puzzle, the last one where the branch being broken on the tree is the answer is really cheap not in a bad way but way to follow the language of the puzzles you set up.

JTripper

I'm 178+3 puzzles in, guideless. Feelin' pretty good but mentally exhausted.

Got 4 lasers done. The Jungle one was the easiest for me

Rokal

60 puzzles in and decidedly not in favor of the lack of music in the game. It's utterly boring with barely any audio going on. After an hour of playing this way I loaded up Spotify on my PS4 and ended up playing some stuff that I thought wouldn't clash too much with The Witness.

This is probably not what the developer had in mind when they intentionally left out music.

The Pink Forest puzzle, the last one where the branch being broken on the tree is the answer is really cheap not in a bad way but way to follow the language of the puzzles you set up.

Consider it a lesson in learning to expect and even look for mismatches between the panel and the environment it's supposedly mirroring. That's not the only time I've seen mismatches like that...

Aurongel

Its the only part that doesn't map from the tree to the panel accurately. Plus you can spot the broken branch and cut up Apple through the gate you're attempting to unlock.

Yes but I guessed it. Had the last part ok I just couldn't figure out the first part - too fast for me.

I feel like I'm really missing something. I somehow managed to get the second to last one, but I can't match it to any part of what I'm hearing and I'm not getting lucky with the last one. I'm basically at process of elimination at this point.

hort

Neo Member
Two questions:

is there anything to do in the place with the anatomy drawings you get to after completing the tree/apple puzzles?

Can't figure out this panel:
near the water near the town with the windmill. Had to do a symmetry puzzle lining up with trees in the water to activate this panel. Half of it is in the shadow of a red/rusted door on a hill and the other half is in the shadow of a vine growing on a gate piece next to said door. I thought it had to do with the shape of the wine or the shadow to it but couldn't find a solution that works. Other than that it looks like a normal panel.

Top Bottom