• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
114 panels +18, two trophies, and in the
keep
. Going to call it quits for tonight, the only problem is my mind keeps going back to these damn puzzles. Damn this game!

You have to solve the previous puzzle again, most likely. It's too avoid guesswork.

S

Just redo the one right before it and it'll re activate

When the screen turns off you have to re-do the previous puzzle (if linked by a cable of course). It's a small punishment so you're not inclined to try whatever to complete the puzzle by luck

whew! thanks guys.

clever game. really enjoying it so far. i dont think i fully grock the rules of the tetris pieces. need to figure out what the rule is that governs when the pieces overlap. not necessarily looking for advice, just sharing where i am currently stuck.

I've only been playing for about 8 hours and haven't even come close to finishing the witness or anything, but I'm feeling really "un-rewarded" so far.

Does anybody else feel this way? The only thing that's driving me to play is because I totally like how the world looks aesthetically, but once I've explored and seen it all I think I'll become completely disinterested. It's just not keeping things interesting enough for me.

Sai-kun

Banned
Two questions:

is there anything to do in the place with the anatomy drawings you get to after completing the tree/apple puzzles?

Can't figure out this panel:
near the water near the town with the windmill. Had to do a symmetry puzzle lining up with trees in the water to activate this panel. Half of it is in the shadow of a red/rusted door on a hill and the other half is in the shadow of a vine growing on a gate piece next to said door. I thought it had to do with the shape of the wine or the shadow to it but couldn't find a solution that works. Other than that it looks like a normal panel.

The way the vines coil across the grate should be matchable to the way you can move the cursor across the panel...

Unrelated: I hate Tetris :)

I've only been playing for about 8 hours and haven't even come close to finishing the witness or anything, but I'm feeling really "un-rewarded" so far.

Does anybody else feel this way? The only thing that's driving me to play is because I totally like how the world looks aesthetically, but once I've explored and seen it all I think I'll become completely disinterested. It's just not keeping things interesting enough for me.

One of the things I'm a little worried about, myself. Every time I feel like I've found a secret area or solved a tough hidden puzzle I'm rewarded with....more puzzles.

Game has been really great though, so far.

IndustryX

Games like this don't come out very often, I feel like it deserves to be rewarded.

I think the game is incredible so far, but I'm only like 2 hours in. I don't even like puzzle games. You can tell right away that it's special.

Waiting on the download right now. Super excited. Going in completely blind other than the reveal trailer and review impressions/scores

xxracerxx

What's your panel and + count? Have you unlocked any (thing spoiler)
hexagonal drawings?
, also have you been to (location spoiler)
the bottom of the windmill?

Afrodium

Banned
34 puzzles in and I'm already getting my ass handed to me. I just encountered this panel with 2 "L"s on it and have probably drawn 100 lines to no avail. I hope the game isn't full of these panels with incredibly vague clues because I won't survive it lol. Anyone have a tip for that one?

The game didn't suddenly spike in difficulty, you are just attempting to do a puzzle that you don't have enough information to solve yet. The best tip for that puzzle would be to walk away. You'll likely encounter a much simpler puzzle with those symbols at some point, and you'll be able to more easily identify their purpose. Once you know how the symbols work, you can return to the puzzle you're stuck on and have a much better time.

The last bamboo bird chirps is absolutely fucking retarded, so I'm just going to give the answer here in a spoiler for anyone who wants it:

low - mid - low - high

hawk2025

About to start the game, came in on GAF to pass the last 30 minutes before getting home, see the statham 900p thread.

lol

Playing on PC though thanks to a generous person :)

Glassboy

I have a copy of this game downloaded but I am not sure if I want to start it now that I hear VR support is in the works. I have a oculus set to arrive in late March. Should I wait or should I jump in? I have no shortage of games to play so that is the only reason I can wait. But judging by a lot of people impressions of the game, this seems like a cool game to experience in VR for the first time. Hmmmm...

Trouble

Banned
Goddamn this game is amazing. I am absolutely loving it and I'm gonna be sad when I finish. Also, I find it hilariously that there are 2 achievements total.

If I had any photoshop skills I would adjust this image to reflect "The Witness" after 1 hour, 5 hours, etc. I don't know why it jumped to mind, but it seems fitting for the difficulty curve.

ylW2S.jpg

Ha! I was going to comment about the phases I've gone through with this game. From 'man if all the puzzles are just this it's gonna suuuuuck', to 'damn there's a lot stuff on this island', to 'what the fuck does this symbol mean', to 'oh, I know how to solve that earlier puzzle now!'.

Just had a major revelation about the
Sand Pyramid
area and now I'm knocking it out. I kept looking for a primer like many areas have had, but then I had the obviously intended holy shit moment and started knocking down the puzzles like a pro.

Goddamn this game is amazing. I am absolutely loving it and I'm gonna be sad when I finish. Also, I find it hilariously that there are 2 achievements total.

Ha! I was going to comment about the phases I've gone through with this game. From 'man if all the puzzles are just this it's gonna suuuuuck', to 'damn there's a lot stuff on this island', to 'what the fuck does this symbol mean', to 'oh, I know how to solve that earlier puzzle now!'.

Just had a major revelation about the
Sand Pyramid
area and now I'm knocking it out. I kept looking for a primer like many areas have had, but then I had the obviously intended holy shit moment and started knocking down the puzzles like a pro.
I'm at that same place right now. I just ran around for about 15 minutes playing with stuff, looking around, and finally decided to call it quits for the night. I'm tired, and it isn't quite clicking for me. I'll come back tomorrow with a fresh set of eyes and see if I can tackle it.

Some of these puzzles are nuts. The harbor tutorial area was pretty chill when you figured out for some of them you had
to line up the lines with things in the environment
. Then things went up a notch in the very cool apple tree zone (the last puzzle in it and what you see when you complete it was the moment I really got hooked). And then figuring out the solutions to those last two hedge mazes was fuuuucking insane.

Of course for every puzzle solved I spend just as much time running into things I have no idea what to do with. I also solved one panel that I don't even think I understood the solution for.

Other than the molasses ass turning sensitivity with no way to adjust, not being able to jump down things, and having to hold a button to run, I am loving this game so far. I really dig how beautiful everything is, but there's also a sinister and pretty creepy undercurrent to everything. I thought I heard footsteps while I was solving a puzzle one time and it legit freaked me out.

Afrodium

Banned
Games like this don't come out very often, I feel like it deserves to be rewarded.

I think the game is incredible so far, but I'm only like 2 hours in. I don't even like puzzle games. You can tell right away that it's special.

Multiple times while playing this game today I've been in awe of the fact that it even exists. You just don't see games like this made with the polish of The Witness. It's amazing and unique. It's truly something you can only get by giving one extremely talented person millions of dollars to make their own game.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
Im having trouble with the puzzles where i have tetris blocks in the squares and from what i can tell im supposed to make the shapes with the line. Is there some sort of rule that i could be missing for those?

What's your panel and + count? Have you unlocked any (thing spoiler)
hexagonal drawings?
, also have you been to (location spoiler)
the bottom of the windmill?

109 + 5

yes
and
seen it but haven't solved it

Like the other guy mentioned, unlocking these puzzles for more of the same is sort of odd. I like more variation and would've loved if the entire game didn't just consist of these line puzzles.

Also
the tapes
totally don't do it for me. In any game with them for that matter. I didn't read much about the witness prior to its release but I didn't realize this was the entire game.

eznark

Banned
sand temple
was super fucking annoying. Way overstayed its welcome and the solutions were just tedious. Having to be "just so" to figure some of those out was awful.

Then I went to the
tree place
and wow, that is a great area. Those puzzles were excellent and didn't come close to getting old or tedious.

on the front of that temple I sort of mc eshered that shit and created a line. When I connected the dot to the exit, it kind of had a mild explosion but...I don't think anything happened.
Anyone know?

xxracerxx

I like more variation and would've loved if the entire game didn't just consist of these line puzzles.

But that is what this game is, were you still expecting more after all the reviews and what we knew from the past few years? I personally feel the variety is there with the line puzzles.

Ziek

What do the white "cross" shapes do? I'm figuring out the puzzles somehow but I don't totally get it. The ones in
the building in the quarry

Finished the desert temple but there is still one thing im trying to do in the area where you raise and lower the water.

There's a rock formation that is exposed when you lower the water all the way. When you stand on some planks facing the entrance to the room and the formation you can click on the pillar to the left and a bunch of blue particles fly out. I've done all the other ones of these but I can't figure out the precise place to stand to make the blue particles turn orange so I can trace the formation.

Edit: Solved

But that is what this game is. I personally feel the variety is there with the line puzzles.

There's some variety for sure, but this game is mostly reminding me of the Unfinished Swan and at least in that (short experience) there were new game play elements and puzzles introduced about every chapter.

The line puzzles have different solutions and must be figured out in a variety of cool ways but it's still drawing a line from point A to point B.

Im having trouble with the puzzles where i have tetris blocks in the squares and from what i can tell im supposed to make the shapes with the line. Is there some sort of rule that i could be missing for those?
This is my biggest hurdle too. I can't even get into the
quarry
area because of the tetris puzzle on the gate.

Feel like the guy over at Paste Magazine nailed it with the narrative problems. *SPOILERS*

windmill spoilers and maybe plot spoilers -
unlocked the old man and blonde lady videos under the windmill and jesus christ Blow, why. you were doing such a good job about showing instead of telling too. "THE GREATEST PUZZLE OF ALL IS.... LIFE" lol

Is that spoiler serious? You and the motion sickness thread just saved me $40.

Move over Ken Levine, there's a new sheriff of pseudo-intellectual bullshit in town.

Mindlog

These fucking swamp puzzles

Goddamn
I got stuck there for a second. Then I had a breakthrough and tore through them.
Then I got stuck on two.
Then I solved all of them I found.
Then I accidentally went somewhere else and now I don't know where I am.
But there are more puzzles to be solved.

Top Bottom