• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

The game didn't suddenly spike in difficulty, you are just attempting to do a puzzle that you don't have enough information to solve yet. The best tip for that puzzle would be to walk away. You'll likely encounter a much simpler puzzle with those symbols at some point, and you'll be able to more easily identify their purpose. Once you know how the symbols work, you can return to the puzzle you're stuck on and have a much better time.
alright thanks. I'll keep exploring

Mezoly

So after doing the puzzle with trees and apples
is there something to get? I just reached the balcony with a bunch of drawings

Also is there a tutorial area for the puzzles that has three yellow dots insides the squares I keep seeing those and I don't know how to solve them.

This game came out at such a good time. Cool that so many journalists and gamers here are checking it out.

Some of yall are checking it out too much. All puzzles completed already O_O?

I think we were all aware that you were not going to buy the game already.

Because I thought the lack of music was stupid? I was buying it on Steam until I saw the option menu. When they put out the FOV and resolution fix, I had planned to still buy it until I read people were still getting motion sick, but I can force a reticle on my monitor, so that's not a big deal.

But god damn, if that's really the "story" surrounding this game, the Paste article nailed it and I have no desire to deal with a freshman philosophy major, as they put it. Mark my words, the story in this game will be savaged on here, just like Bioshock Infinite was, a few months from now, if that's accurate.

BlazinAm

Consider it a lesson in learning to expect and even look for mismatches between the panel and the environment it's supposedly mirroring. That's not the only time I've seen mismatches like that...

Its the only part that doesn't map from the tree to the panel accurately. Plus you can spot the broken branch and cut up Apple through the gate you're attempting to unlock.

I've calm down a bit on this issue. I think that it is interesting that from a design perceptive that Blow is breaking down puzzle logic to core elements and reverse things on top of that.

Zomba13

Played about 2 hours so far and I'm enjoying it. Had a few "oh shit" moments when I figured out how things worked and to some other stuff. The game does, for the most part, a good job of teaching you how to do stuff with the puzzles at first being easy then harder and harder but I've found some puzzles I just don't get and I don't know if I have the knowledge to do them yet or not.

Like (very vauge explanation) there is one which I think uses shadow for the solution but I'm not sure if it's just that or if there is something else or if I have the solution but am putting it in wrong?

I guess I should just stop with the ones I don't get yet and move to a different part of the island. It's just I've managed to do the rocky mesa part pretty much in just "one go" so I'm unsure if every area is supposed to be like that or if I need to travel a bit to learn more.

I'm enjoying it though. Love the style and the bright colours and some of the... "story"? Or, voiced bits or whatever, I dunno, are interesting. Only issue is it does seem to be making me feel a little motion sick after 2 hours straight. I dunno what it is. Most games I'm super fine with, I can play CoD or Titanfall or Battlefront or field or Counter Strike or TF2 for hours and hours and hours at a time with no issue but some of these slower paced first person games tend to make my tummy feel funny after playing a while. Same thing happened with Grow Home.

Also, I'm taking screenshots like a motherfucker. Anything that looks interesting, out of place or like a solution to something I snap and save for later. Much easier than taking notes and trying to draw these things out.

Fat4all

Banned
Mark my words, the story in this game will be savaged on here, just like Bioshock Infinite was, a few months from now, if that's accurate.

I feel like you are just dead-set against hating it for no real good reasons.

You literally have to delve into spoilers to justify it for yourself.

So after doing the puzzle with trees and apples
is there something to get? I just reached the balcony with a bunch of drawings

I think it's just a
story clue. Someone else must have recently been on the island, because next to the fence is a knife with the branch and apple that was missing from the last tree. And then the drawings are all pinned with tree branches, and the drawings themselves are all nerves and veins, which look like the tree branches. Basically a whole bunch of line imagery, which obviously may be connected to the line puzzles themselves
That's what I got from it though. And I'm not much further than you at all, so I'm not spoiling anything, just a hypothesis.

Oni3298

Dunno if this was answered already, but anyone have a solution for the last forest puzzle with the audio cues? The one with three short ones and then a long one? It's driving me crazy.

Mezoly

I think it's just a
story clue. Someone else must have recently been on the island, because next to the fence is a knife with the branch and apple that was missing from the last tree. And then the drawings are all pinned with tree branches, and the drawings themselves are all nerves and veins, which look like the tree branches. Basically a whole bunch of line imagery, which obviously may be connected to the line puzzles themselves
That's what I got from it though. And I'm not much further than you at all, so I'm not spoiling anything, just a hypothesis.
Yeah that's what I thought of it as well thanks.

Kemal86

Question about the area with the red bonsai:

What are you supposed to do with the diamond-shapes wooden fence panels? They've no markings of any kind on them.

Edit: I'm an idiot.

Mindlog

Question about the area with the red bonsai:

What are you supposed to do with the diamond-shapes wooden fence panels? They've no markings of any kind on them.
Is that a gated area?
If so think back to what happened after completing the previous puzzle.

CrazyHal

Completely stumped on this puzzle

Puzzle type:

An earlier poster was stuck on this too, but he somehow figured it out. I dunno what I should pay attention to though.
The path on the tree above the panel or the path on the left on the orange board. I tried multiple combinations with either or both, but I just can't even understand how it's supposed to align. It doesn't make any sense to me at
all. Any hints? I'm dying over here haha.

Same here. I can't for the life of me figure this one out.

This game, man. This game.

d5504a1c-f8e2-4028-96f6-6b038180e644.gif

I hadn't been enjoying games for months and then this comes out. Been playing all day.

I feel like you are just dead-set against hating it for no real good reasons.

You literally have to delve into spoilers to justify it for yourself.

The Wired and Paste reviews already spoiled what was on the tapes, so I figured that's what he was referencing, and he was. http://www.wired.com/2016/01/the-witness-review/

I had no reason to hate it. The only things I disliked were the lack of music being a cop out and the lack of PC options being bullshit.

Knowing what the "story" is now makes me hate it though. There's nothing worse than hamfisted intellectualism in video games.

Because I thought the lack of music was stupid? I was buying it on Steam until I saw the option menu. When they put out the FOV and resolution fix, I had planned to still buy it until I read people were still getting motion sick, but I can force a reticle on my monitor, so that's not a big deal.

But god damn, if that's really the "story" surrounding this game, the Paste article nailed it and I have no desire to deal with a freshman philosophy major, as they put it. Mark my words, the story in this game will be savaged on here, just like Bioshock Infinite was, a few months from now, if that's accurate.

What is the response you would like now?

LiK

I thought this game was podcast friendly but apparently, that kinda made me run circles in a puzzle for like 30 min. Not podcast friendly.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Dude, we get it. You don't need to keep telling us about how much you're not going to buy the game. Move on with your life.

What do the white "cross" shapes do? I'm figuring out the puzzles somehow but I don't totally get it. The ones in
the building in the quarry

Try going back to the first ones and think about HOW you're passing them without getting it. You'll probably notice that you're failing them momentarily.

Did anyone go from the jungle to the monastery? Can't figure out the shortcut back, and already got the
honeycomb
from that area. I think I see numbers but I don't know if I'm getting insane from this much playing haha.
E: NEVERMIND THAT WAS SO GOOD

Mindlog

I just blew my mind -_-
(maybe a big mid-game? spoiler?)
There are sparks coming from the shadow of a random tree. It's a puzzle. There's a whole new category of puzzle I've been ignoring.

wow this game is so therapeutic. i love how no explanations are given too. i'm just like wtf at some of the puzzles (within the first half hour lmao) but then after a little messing around i get the jist of it.

no text displays or hints or anything. it's great. played for a couple hours, the tranquil and colorful visual design are really helping too.

god damn this dude, he managed to make something so simple...complex. great game so far.

IvanJ

Banned
Just started playing, about an hour in, so I didn't get that far. My only question is where do you see the puzzle count?
I'm on PS4, and the pause menu only gives me the options to invert axis, subtitles and a slider for something or other. What do I press to see stats?

To comment on the game itself, I like it so far, but there are already a few puzzles that stumped me for a bit, so I'm worried it will kick my ass later on. And I probably am not looking and exploring properly, because all I found so far was one audio log. Well, maybe I'll tend to explore more the less I am capable to solve puzzles :)

Beaulieu

The Wired and Paste reviews already spoiled what was on the tapes, so I figured that's what he was referencing, and he was. http://www.wired.com/2016/01/the-witness-review/

I had no reason to hate it. The only things I disliked were the lack of music being a cop out and the lack of PC options being bullshit.

Knowing what the "story" is now makes me hate it though. There's nothing worse than hamfisted intellectualism in video games.

you hate a game you havent played.
cool.
why are you still in that thread? you must lead a very boring life.

150 panels done, havent hit a wall yet. this game is good at making me feel like a genius.

elfboy

Banned
Just started playing, about an hour in, so I didn't get that far. My only question is where do you see the puzzle count?
I'm on PS4, and the pause menu only gives me the options to invert axis, subtitles and a slider for something or other. What do I press to see stats?

To comment on the game itself, I like it so far, but there are already a few puzzles that stumped me for a bit, so I'm worried it will kick my ass later on. And I probably am not looking and exploring properly, because all I found so far was one audio log. Well, maybe I'll tend to explore more the less I am capable to solve puzzles :)
Hit load

Kensuke

Same here. I can't for the life of me figure this one out.

Not a solution, just my thinking process:
Up till then the game has taught you to follow the light path that is already on the panel. After that you have to use the path on the orange board next to the panel to find the correct path on the dark parts of the panel.

This puzzle however is doing several things that are throwing me for a loop: 1. Two possible starting points. 2. Two possible paths, one on the tree and one on the orange board. 3. No obvious way to align either path (or both) with the panel, especially if you still follow the rule about first filling the light parts that are already on the panel.

Hope I can figure this out with some more thinking...

Tain

Mentioned it in the PC performance thread just now, but the game actually has built-in VR support right now on PC if you use the "-VR" command line option. It seems to use both SteamVR and the Oculus SDK, prioritizing SteamVR if SteamVR is installed.

120 puzzles in in 2 hours. Cleared the orange forest and the zone with double
snakes at once
It took a little bit but has grabbed me real good.

Samemind

Oh god, I didn't expect to get spooked playing this game but man, I shouldn't have went into
the shipwreck
at night time (irl)

CDV13

This game is just so fun. I have found a decent amount of the environment puzzles as well. Some very unique ideas for those ones. Finished the Desert Ruin earlier. Was a great section.

In need of some help if anyone would like with the quarry area...
the quarry area puzzles with the "thee line symbol"...I understand the concept of the symbol eliminating an extra item left with it...but this 5th red/green puzzle with that symbol is killing me...stumped.

Can someone tell me what the rules are of the puzzles you start with and are on the first bunker door? Because I feel like I solved it the exact way the solution I looked up was.
obviously you separate the black and white pieces, but I'm not certain about the rules about enclosing lines of black dots

So if you stand on top of the desert ruin
the sun shines off the medallion things on the ground and you can solve it if you look at it just right. It made all these symbols appear on the black monolith thing. Edit: You can solve the front of the ruin too, two different ways. These aren't adding to my puzzles solved though. Weird.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Can someone tell me what the rules are of the puzzles you start with and are on the first bunker door? Because I feel like I solved it the exact way the solution I looked up was.
obviously you separate the black and white pieces, but I'm not certain about the rules about enclosing lines of black dots
just make sure all the dots have been hit. You also don't need to just spilt the black and white into two groups, there can be more than that so long as there are not whites grouped with blacks.

hydruxo

114 puzzles down, time to stop there for tonight. So many puzzles that I beat my head against the wall with and was still unable to finish. Those
shadow
puzzles are crazy.

dakini

If you go to the shack a little further up ahead, there are panels which teach you how to solve the black dot on the line puzzles.

Was cruising around in the boat and discovered the
line puzzle on the side of the mountain that you need to solve while riding by in the boat and utilizing your changing perspective.
Later I climbed the mountain and
found the one in the stream.
Not sure what either of those two did when I solved them but it blew my mind! This game is insane.

just make sure all the dots have been hit. You also don't need to just spilt the black and white into two groups, there can be more than that so long as there are not whites grouped with blacks.

If you go to the shack a little further up ahead, there are panels which teach you how to solve the black dot on the line puzzles.

Yeah I got all of that, including doing the tutorial section which I largely breezed through. It just felt like I was doing exactly what I needed to for the bunker puzzle, which is why I ended up looking that one up. And then looking at the solution I asked myself "did I not draw that exact path?" so I don't know what went wrong in the end. We'll see if that puzzle element screws me up in the future, it probably won't though.

CDV13

So if you stand on top of the desert ruin
the sun shines off the medallion things on the ground and you can solve it if you look at it just right. It made all these symbols appear on the black monolith thing. Edit: You can solve the front of the ruin too, two different ways. These aren't adding to my puzzles solved though. Weird.

Those should be what the "+11" (or whatever number you have) is next to puzzles solved when you go to load. Those are the ones you have on the monoliths.

Top Bottom