• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Am I the only one who thinks this might be the best looking game on ps4? Or one of?

Maybe not on a technical level but aesthetically I am really struggling to think of anything I prefer

Birathen

The Witness got me like
Russell-Crowe-in-A-Beauti-009.jpg

Yup! I was on the couch, in my underwear and steamcontroller in hand, feeling like a supercomputer. 5 minutes later my brain melted and I felt like throwing something..

How do you check your progress? Numbers of puzzels solved and so on?

nib95

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks this might be the best looking game on ps4? Or one of?

Maybe not on a technical level but apathetically I am really struggling to think of anything I prefer

It is absolutely gorgeous. Like some weird and wonderful cartoon Pixar Dreamworks esque combination that is simply stunning. I also love that it's so smooth looking with barely any jaggies, just clean lines galore.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Goddamn this game is amazing. I played way too much of this today.

Game envelopes you. It consumes you.

rafaelr

Maybe not on a technical level but aesthetically I am really struggling to think of anything I prefer

i completely agree! each biome is just something to behold! i started out doing the tutorial area, but once i cleared that i lost myself for about 2 hrs just wandering around the island with a big smile on my face.

I'm stuck on this one and it's driving me crazy.

Pretty sure it's the last animal sound puzzle in the forest.

Any help is appreciated!

So I just flat out posted the solution earlier because this one crossed the line between puzzle and "I can't aurally interpret the sound properly". I'm pretty sure that (just a hint)
it's not the bird chirps, it's the other noise that you are supposed to be representing the tones of.

If you just want the answer,
low - mid - low - high

There is another set of puzzles after this one in that area, but I thought they were more interesting and more in the vein of the rest of the game in terms of design. I think the first two sets of these are the worst puzzles I've done in the game. If you're even slightly hearing impaired, don't have sound, are playing in a noisy place... you're fucked.

um wow this game is amazing. It feels important in the genre. I am not trying spout hyperbole either. I am only 70 panels in and I am in awe.

champloo

Is there a way to track the tapes I have found? I've listened to a couple of them, if I want to listen again later, do I have to get back to the spot?

and how do you know how many puzzles you solved? I'm on PS4

Fat4all

Banned
I forgot to buy paper while I was out, so I've started taking screen shots of clues or things I find important and saving them.

ymgve

I found the area I assume Xander Cage found earlier and freaked out over. With good reason - that area was weird. (But it's not related to the main ending at all)

I forgot to buy paper while I was out, so I've started taking screen shots of clues or things I find important and saving them.

This is what I'm doing too

It's nice on PS4 because you can have the capture gallery and game running at the same time and just double tap the PS button to switch back and forth to a screenshot in an instant

Oni3298

So I just flat out posted the solution earlier because this one crossed the line between puzzle and "I can't aurally interpret the sound properly". I'm pretty sure that (just a hint)
it's not the bird chirps, it's the other noise that you are supposed to be representing the tones of.

If you just want the answer,
low - mid - low - high

There is another set of puzzles after this one in that area, but I thought they were more interesting and more in the vein of the rest of the game in terms of design. I think the first two sets of these are the worst puzzles I've done in the game. If you're even slightly hearing impaired, don't have sound, are playing in a noisy place... you're fucked.

Omg thanks dude! I had figured out it wasn't the chirping sounds but rather the more warbling sounds I needed to focus on, but I just couldn't figure out the exact notes...

dakini

What does he mean with with the light being skewed? On the panel or on the board? Still can't figure it out,

The light that's matching up with the circle on the left is meant to match up with the circle on the right. The correct path flows over onto the boards to the left of the panel.

Don't want to disencourage anyone, but though the endgame setting is pretty great I'm not being a big fan of the puzzles :/
E: Scratch that best thing ever

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This one. It seems so simple after everything else I just did but I can't see any angle for it.

Oh yeah I probably spent fifteen minutes there. Not sure what I can say without just giving you the answer other than
there are only sixteen possible orientations for the piece theoretically and a lot of them should be easy to discount right away. Try just sketching out each one and cull the obvious ones

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh yeah I probably spent fifteen minutes there. Not sure what I can say without just giving you the answer other than
there are only sixteen possible orientations for the piece theoretically and a lot of them should be easy to discount right away. Try just sketching out each one and cull the obvious ones

Yeah, I figured a hint would be hard since it's so theoretically simple. I should have been using paper for this part a long time ago instead of doing it all mentally anyway.

Yup. Once it clicked I kinda laughed,
then I felt bad for the hearing impaired.

As much as I'm loving this game I think some more measures should have been taken in accessability - the
Jungle
is all about audio cues, and both the
Bunker, Treetops, as well as some extra panels near end-game
rely heavily on color.

AgeEighty

Is that the one that you use
the sound of your footsteps?

Oh hell, is that what that puzzle was about? I was totally without a clue and I tried a path based on
bushes that didn't have pink borders around them
... and it worked.

It was one out of two or three puzzles I lucked into the solution for rather than deciphering the clues.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
A friend watched me play for about an hour and now thinks I'm a genius.

Three lasers activated. The color elevator area
is my favorite so far. If the trophy percentages mean anything, this game is kicking the average player's ass.

Gsnap

Ok. I didn't want to ask for any help but I am legitimately stuck. I cannot for the life of me figure out what those stupid white upside down Y's mean. I feel like the area I'm in is trying to teach me, but it is not sticking. I have even made a ton of progress and only have to puzzles left, but I don't actually understand how I've progressed. Every time I think I have it figured out, I try what should be right and it isn't. I've progressed so far without learning anything. Please, somebody. Don't spoil anything else if you can, but just tell me what those upside down Y's mean.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ending tonight on 79 +14 after starting about 3 1/2 hours ago.

Stuck on the 4th maze of what I think is a castle. It's not sound, but I can tell the walking maze is different than the puzzle on the door. Wondering if I need to walk on a path that might still be on the puzzle, and then draw that same path on the puzzle.

Few dozen others I left off on, like whatever it is at the center temple of the desert. Attempted one of those board puzzles, failed, and it faded away...that feels wrong.

TheXbox

As much as I'm loving this game I think some more measures should have been taken in accessability - the
Jungle
is all about audio cues, and both the
Bunker, Treetops, as well as some extra panels near end-game
rely heavily on color.
Yeah, I heard Jeff mention the color thing on the Bombcast. I know they're a small team but this is something they should look into. I imagine it's possible for someone with some kind of audio/visual impairment to complete the game, but there's no way they'll see all of it without resorting to a guide. That's shitty.

That said, it's still super impressive how they utilize every single detail in this tiny world.

Stoze

Started to reach more dead ends in terms of knowledge, found the swamp area and I'm cooking with gas again. This place is gorgeous. I really want to play more but I'm exhausted and it's showing in my puzzle solving methods. I think I played around 12-13 hours, it may be the most time I've spent on a puzzle game in a single day.

Also I don't know what's up with the bamboo area but the sounds there are really unnerving.

seb

Banned
I'm being completely paranoid in this game. I feel there are environmental puzzles that I completely miss. I see things, or at least I *think* I see things, but then they elude me. Like I see a shape clearly in a tree shadow or a river, and the second after that it goes away.
This game...

The
cloud trees
have to mean something for fuck sake!

Stoze

Ok. I didn't want to ask for any help but I am legitimately stuck. I cannot for the life of me figure out what those stupid white upside down Y's mean. I feel like the area I'm in is trying to teach me, but it is not sticking. I have even made a ton of progress and only have to puzzles left, but I don't actually understand how I've progressed. Every time I think I have it figured out, I try what should be right and it isn't. I've progressed so far without learning anything. Please, somebody. Don't spoil anything else if you can, but just tell me what those upside down Y's mean.

Leave 1 dot open/not hit by your line.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Grrrrr, these damn
tree shadows!!! I did all the left gate ones without a problem, but these right gate ones with the off-panel shadows at strange perspectives
are a pain in the ass.

258 +3, yet I've only fully completed two areas, I think.

shadowslayer218

Neo Member
Is anyone finding the puzzels not too difficult, or as difficult as people have said? Ive managed to finish the mountain and pyrimad without to too much struggling at all.

Also spoiler questions:

Is there a point to the puzzles on the mountain where you have to use the enviroment to solve them? I solved the last one using the trees but nothing seemed to happen.

Also I think its awesome that there are hidden huge puzzles in the world! I just found the totem pole that shows you which ones you have missing

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Odd how some people aren't getting a lot of the "+" puzzles/
monolith

Wonder how many missed the
First One

Gsnap

Leave 1 dot open/not hit by your line.

Yeah those made some sense, even though I was never able to understand which one was the one to leave. But the real problem is the one right after those with the colored panels. I am not seeing any significant pattern.
At first I though it meant I had to leave one opposite color and separate the rest. But then it threw in 3 colors and now I'm screwed. The last one I just solved had me separate green and purple from red, but keep blue with red, and I have no idea why. Now I've got two reds, three greens, and three blues and It doesn't make sense.

The worst part is I the puzzle is clearly trying to hint to me what I'm doing wrong by having certain times flash, but it doesn't make sense at all.

Top Bottom