• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

KraytarJ

Ok. I didn't want to ask for any help but I am legitimately stuck. I cannot for the life of me figure out what those stupid white upside down Y's mean. I feel like the area I'm in is trying to teach me, but it is not sticking. I have even made a ton of progress and only have to puzzles left, but I don't actually understand how I've progressed. Every time I think I have it figured out, I try what should be right and it isn't. I've progressed so far without learning anything. Please, somebody. Don't spoil anything else if you can, but just tell me what those upside down Y's mean.
You have to "feed" them a mistake. So leave one dot behind in the same are as the upside down Ys and then it'll work. It confused me at first too.

Stoze

Yeah those made some sense, even though I was never able to understand which one was the one to leave. But the real problem is the one right after those with the colored panels. I am not seeing any significant pattern.
At first I though it meant I had to leave one opposite color and separate the rest. But then it threw in 3 colors and now I'm screwed. The last one I just solved had me separate green and purple from red, but keep blue with red, and I have no idea why. Now I've got two reds, three greens, and three blues and It doesn't make sense.

The worst part is I the puzzle is clearly trying to hint to me what I'm doing wrong by having certain times flash, but it doesn't make sense at all.

You can leave any of them. For the green and red panels,
separate the greens +1 red away from the reds, like when you separate whites from blacks. For the multicolor one, you learn about those in another area.

Edit: KraytarJ phrased it better;
you're feeding it one mistake, and that mistake changes depending on the context of the puzzle.

That area is definitely a bit more obtuse to learn, especially if you try and do it early.

SZips

Uhm... so, can anybody tell me just WTF happened when I did this? Near the first(?) area just after the spawn area.

Spoilers:
https://i.imgur.com/Q6MWp38.jpg There was a loud noise, and a burst of little pink floaty things shot out into the environment after I did this.

oatmeal

Banned
So I'm in the little village thing and found the first panel with the black dots and the orange askew Tetris T piece.

The fuck does this mean? It's not doing a good job of teaching me what they are.

I swear I'm crazy but listening to the game in my headphones, sometimes it's as if I hear footsteps while doing puzzles

I'm sure it's just leaves

So I'm in the little village thing and found the first panel with the black dots and the orange askew Tetris T piece.

The fuck does this mean? It's not doing a good job of teaching me what they are.

There are some areas that combine concepts of different things that are taught, so your best bet is to go elsewhere to find the 'tutorial' for the tetris piece(I too am in the village and have no idea what any of this means)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Uhm... so, can anybody tell me just WTF happened when I did this? Near the first(?) area just after the spawn area.

Spoilers:
https://i.imgur.com/Q6MWp38.jpg There was a loud noise, and a burst of little pink floaty things shot out into the environment after I did this.

Welcome to the + part of your save.
You found a hidden thing, there are many, many more

Maybe you should move on, just because that is the first time you have encountered something, doesn't mean it isn't explained somewhere else.

Sai-kun

Banned

Spoilers:

you found a line puzzle outside of the panels! There might be an achievement for finding them all, but otherwise they're just cool little bonuses. Nothing happens as far as I know.

seb

Banned
you found a line puzzle outside of the panels! There might be an achievement for finding them all, but otherwise they're just cool little bonuses. Nothing happens as far as I know.
I don't know about that, I followed the sparkles and found something, maybe it was a coincidence ?

Gsnap

You can leave any of them. For the green and red panels,
separate the greens +1 red away from the reds, like when you separate whites from blacks. For the multicolor one, you learn about those in another area.

Edit: KraytarJ phrased it better;
you're feeding it one mistake, and that mistake changes depending on the context of the puzzle.

That area is definitely a bit more obtuse to learn, especially if you try and do it early.

Ok. So it is what I thought. But yeah the multicolor ones threw me off. I thought this was the tutorial, but apparently that's elsewhere.

Dinjooh

I played for about 3-4 hours last night and only dreamt of lines and dots, hahah.

It was the first thing I thought about when I woke up as well. Odd feeling.

I played 13 hours yesterday in a row and managed to get 196 panels. Gonna force myself to do something else entirely today and then come back with a vengeance thursday.

GavinGT

Banned
The puzzles where you have to walk along the path and the pieces light up...one has a piece of rubble in the way and I don't see any way to solve it. Help?

GhaleonEB

Got about 45 minutes of play time in tonight. Made some decent headway. From the opening tutorial section I remembered to
toggle the one panel so it went up and over the castle wall, then I followed it around to find the Einstein tape.

From there I went out into the forest and cleared the
tree puzzles. A bit annoying to have one reset for each mistake, but I got through. Um, the pictures were...interesting. The heart looked like the castle a bit.

Then I got over by the water and did some
dual-line puzzles. Cleared a lot of them, but it got to what looks like the final sequence of puzzle panels in a row
and my brain is fried tonight. Still making good progress.

I still can't find how to see how many panels I have cleared. I know it's supposed to be in the loading screen, but when I start the game, some shapes pop at the title screen then I land right back into my game, no opportunity to see my load file. Dunno how many I have done at this point. Probably around 50 or so. Tip of the iceberg...

Kevtones

Honestly an hour in and this feels like it could be the most compelling thing I've played in years.

If the story has any weight then holy shit.

Greecian-

Got about 45 minutes of play time in tonight. Made some decent headway. From the opening tutorial section I remembered to
toggle the one panel so it went up and over the castle wall, then I followed it around to find the Einstein tape.

tree puzzles. A bit annoying to have one reset for each mistake, but I got through. Um, the pictures were...interesting. The heart looked like the castle a bit.

dual-line puzzles. Cleared a lot of them, but it got to what looks like the final sequence of puzzle panels in a row

I still can't find how to see how many panels I have cleared. I know it's supposed to be in the loading screen, but when I start the game, some shapes pop at the title screen then I land right back into my game, no opportunity to see my load file. Dunno how many I have done at this point. Probably around 50 or so. Tip of the iceberg...

If you hit options and then click on Load Game, it'll show you.

Press start, 'Load a Game', and it shows you the saves you have(it auto saves when you press load a game.)

JonnyKong

The puzzles where you have to walk along the path and the pieces light up...one has a piece of rubble in the way and I don't see any way to solve it. Help?

This was where I got stuck on last night. The second panel where you have to separate the white and black dots? I couldn't figure it out because of one of the paths being broken/stuck to the floor.

TTG

Just started, everything is lovely except one thing: I don't like being unable to see what effect a solved panel has on the world. For example, the little stone bunker right at the beginning that's locked away behind a somewhat more difficult puzzle, that unlocked
a little map in a chest, that's cool.
On the other hand, the very first extra puzzle that has you
walking around the perimeter of the starting area. I opened the gate, did the puzzle on the ground with the triangle(which I have no idea what it means yet) and nothing noticeable happened.
Is there something I can do further right now, or do I move on?

12BoM

Stuck on two puzzles atm...
the third puzzle by the rocks/water where u had to line up the pillars. Can't seem to figure this one out. Also stuck on one in the forest, where u got two metal panels blocking the sunlight. Can't seem to line up the shadows Properly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just a quick one - ther are a couple of locations with
pretty flowers arranged in a rectangular frame.
. That's totally
a code
right? Not that I'll ever figure it out, just curious.

Greecian-

This was where I got stuck on last night. The second panel where you have to separate the white and black dots? I couldn't figure it out because of one of the paths being broken/stuck to the floor.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the next one where you have to create certain shapes. But the path is blocked at a certain point.

xxracerxx

I still can't find how to see how many panels I have cleared. I know it's supposed to be in the loading screen, but when I start the game, some shapes pop at the title screen then I land right back into my game, no opportunity to see my load file.

Press Pause...go to Load Game (it won't load) and it will show you. Then you can just back out.

That's one of the puzzles I'm stuck on too. Can't figure it out :/

You guys are talking the very first one of those right? You can definitely solve it.

Freeman76

As much as I'm loving this game I think some more measures should have been taken in accessability - the
Jungle
is all about audio cues, and both the
Bunker, Treetops, as well as some extra panels near end-game
rely heavily on color.

I'm colour blind so it may mean I have wasted £30. Love what I played so far, will be upset if I get near the end and cant complete puzzles

Stoze

Pause and then click load game, and you should see your saved game with a panel count. That's apparently what was meant by "loading screen". There is no actual loading screens in game as far as I know.

I'm on PS4 so I'm not 100% sure if it works the same if you're on PC.

Grinchy

Banned
Loving it so far. It's so damn gorgeous to look at and the puzzles escalate nicely.

There is one somewhat early on that I feel is impossible, though. I've tried starting out at the two starting points and every direction leads to a non-solution. I keep leaving and coming back to it. I know it's not actually impossible, but I cannot seem to figure it out.

JonnyKong

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the next one where you have to create certain shapes. But the path is blocked at a certain point.

Yes I saw that now haha.

Any advice for the second one? I'm struggling to find a way to separate the far right white dot with that broken path above it.

I might be able to figure it out straight away when I go back on it later tonight. I was pretty tired when I came across it yesterday evening.

Mi goreng

I've managed to clear every
sun/light puzzle
in the pyramid except one, the zigzaggy looking one where you rise the water levels. I have been stuck on this one for an hour. Anyone clear this?

xxracerxx

I've managed to clear every
sun/light puzzle
in the pyramid except one, the zigzaggy looking one where you rise the water levels. I have been stuck on this one for an hour. Anyone clear this?

Stand on the opposite side of the chasm as the water goes down and strafe around until you see the reflection. I was only able to see part of it and then had to trial and error the rest of it out, but it only took 2 or 3 tries.

IndustryX

Can someone please explain the red gate final puzzle set to me?
I have done all of the puzzles on the floating island up until the blue coloured lines at the top of the cliff, the yellow was straight forward, and managed with the rest but the blue side has no dots to go over? this makes no sense :(

Edit nevermind i figured it out. -_-

IndustryX

Stuck on two puzzles atm...
the third puzzle by the rocks/water where u had to line up the pillars. Can't seem to figure this one out. Also stuck on one in the forest, where u got two metal panels blocking the sunlight. Can't seem to line up the shadows Properly.

For the first issue
perspective on the panel matters

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
In the swamp, in the blue water section of it, I'm stuck at the last panel that lets you go down the stairs apparently. It's those t-shaped tetriminos with the empty bottom that I just can't figure how to draw around. I even cut out paper to rearrange and I can't get it to work.

Man, this game is sure making me feel like an idiot. I can't even complete the tutorial puzzles in the treehouse. Like, I am completely and utterly stumped on the last two.

edit - holy shit I just solved one of them less than a minute after posting this

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I honestly cannot wait for more people to get to the end game, because it's fucking bananas and is going to be so much fun to talk to people about... it will go down in gaming history. :)`

Stoze

In the swamp, in the blue water section of it, I'm stuck at the last panel that lets you go down the stairs apparently. It's those t-shaped tetriminos with the empty bottom that I just can't figure how to draw around. I even cut out paper to rearrange and I can't get it to work.

2 of those and then the partial square right?

Yeah this is where I stopped playing and called it a night lol

Greecian-

Yes I saw that now haha.

Any advice for the second one? I'm struggling to find a way to separate the far right white dot with that broken path above it.

I might be able to figure it out straight away when I go back on it later tonight. I was pretty tired when I came across it yesterday evening.

I'll try not to say too much, but just keep in mind that not all black dots have to be in the same contained area, and not all white dots have to be in the same contained area. Meaning you can split them into groups of two instead of groups of four.

Mi goreng

Stand on the opposite side of the chasm as the water goes down and strafe around until you see the reflection. I was only able to see part of it and then had to trial and error the rest of it out, but it only took 2 or 3 tries.

I can't seem to get it still, it's like my brain doesn't want to interpret it upside down haha, i've managed to complete a few other upside down puzzles but this one is ridiculous. i've drawn it out and everything, i guess i'll just have to keep at it

Edit: Got it!

2nd edit: Jesus christ more puzzles

JonnyKong

I'll try not to say too much, but just keep in mind that not all black dots have to be in the same contained area, and not all white dots have to be in the same contained area. Meaning you can split them into groups of two instead of groups of four.

I never realised that! Thanks dude, that will help a lot. Can't wait to get back on it tonight :) I kept trying to make all 4 white dots fit together in one group and it was ruining me!

I honestly cannot wait for more people to get to the end game, because it's fucking bananas and is going to be so much fun to talk to people about... it will go down in gaming history. :)`

I think I'm almost there, regarding the 'main' endgame. 422 panels;
On the third floor going down through the mountain, where you have 4 squares and need to pick your piece, then go back up the elevator to fill the 'floor'. Just really didn't like those 'glitchy/rainbow' puzzles.

Also - regarding something completely different. For people who have already been to the Sun Temple and/or the Windmill,
does anyone have any idea on how to access the locked tunnels? I tried mapping and it'd land me somewhere on the middle of the two buildings, but I can't find the entrance haha. There's a cave on 'top' of the end of the tunnel on the Windmill, but I tried looking around the area and didn't find anything either

Top Bottom