• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
People are already getting lazy about spoiler tags. Come on!

I can't seem to get it still, it's like my brain doesn't want to interpret it upside down haha, i've managed to complete a few other upside down puzzles but this one is ridiculous. i've drawn it out and everything, i guess i'll just have to keep at it
It helps if you
bring the water back up and the do the panel from the opposite side of the chasm from the panel itself. That way you can see the reflection.

Quick question :
I see many people giving the number of puzzles they solved so far.
But how do you know?
Is there a counter somewhere or do you just count them manually?

Thanks!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Quick question :
I see many people giving the number of puzzles they solved so far.
But how do you know?
Is there a counter somewhere or do you just count them manually?

Thanks!

If you pause and go to load game it will show you the amount completed.

GavinGT

Banned
Some of these color puzzles are easier if you turn off f.lux. They use an yellow and a tan color that are almost indistinguishable with it on.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I feel like I'm playing this game wrong. I "beat" the very first "section" and I have no idea where I'm supposed to go from here.

Amir0x

Banned
I ain't gonna lie, despite being fairly hyped for this and all I had real reservations it was going to turn into something I personally enjoyed. After all, Braid was highly reviewed and beloved by fans but just wasn't my cup of tea. But there's something perfect about the way he designed progression in this game The Witness that makes it quite easy to just do something else as you think of a solution and come back without ever getting stressed or genuinely frustrated. That's often a bottleneck of this sort of genre of game... there's a puzzle or two that is daunting and brutal, perhaps even way out of sync with the difficulty curve of the game. Then people get annoyed, and either look it up online or quit.

I think this has found that rare happy medium where I never feel compelled to do that, and even the ones that really stump me don't annoy me because I just do something else after a set amount of minutes.

This is something really cool so far. And there's like an infinity puzzles or something so my god, please turn this into a retail release Blow and $60 would seem more than fair. It's easily more polished and content-filled than most big $60 releases these days, and it's a gorgeous game at times with its art style. Would buy again.

Kevtones

I ain't gonna lie, despite being fairly hyped for this and all I had real reservations it was going to turn into something I personally enjoyed. After all, Braid was highly reviewed and beloved by fans but just wasn't my cup of tea. But there's something perfect about the way he designed progression in this game The Witness that makes it quite easy to just do something else as you think of a solution and come back without ever getting stressed or genuinely frustrated. That's often a bottleneck of this sort of genre of game... there's a puzzle or two that is daunting and brutal, perhaps even way out of sync with the difficulty curve of the game. Then people get annoyed, and either look it up online or quit.

I think this has found that rare happy medium where I never feel compelled to do that, and even the ones that really stump me don't annoy me because I just do something else after a set amount of minutes.

This is something really cool so far. And there's like an infinity puzzles or something so my god, please turn this into a retail release Blow and $60 would seem more than fair. It's easily more polished and content-filled than most big $60 releases these days, and it's a gorgeous game at times with its art style. Would buy again.

On. Fucking. Point.

so, all of the other puzzles have things on them that I haven't encountered before and I can't figure out what they're indicating. Am I supposed to find out through trial and error?

A little bit of A, a little bit of B. Some puzzles are kinda explanatory, some are not. If you see something you don't recognize, you can safely move on. If you see something you don't recognize but seems simple, it's probably a 'tutorial' panel.

Feep

Banned
158 solved, 3 lasers, maybe...4 hours in?

Loving it so far. Excited to get into some of the crazier stuff.

TIME FOR BED

so, all of the other puzzles have things on them that I haven't encountered before and I can't figure out what they're indicating. Am I supposed to find out through trial and error?

No.

Each puzzle with symbols you have not encountered yet has tutorial panels. Kind of like the one's you first see when you get out of the starting area and there are 6-7 monitors standing next to each other and getting progressively harder upon completing each panel.

Those tutorial panels kind of explain what you need to do.

12BoM

For the first issue
perspective on the panel matters

I kind of figured this, will take a fresh stab at it tomorrow I'm all sorts of burned out right now. I really really enjoy the process of "learning" the game. Like How in that particular sequence each panel is essentially teaching/introducing you a new concept to consider when trying to properly solve the puzzle.

Extremely clever. Like for that second one,
how u have to realize u must factor in the reflection

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
No.

Each puzzle with symbols you have not encountered yet has tutorial panels. Kind of like the one's you first see when you get out of the starting area and there are 6-7 monitors standing next to each other and getting progressively harder upon completing each panel.

Those tutorial panels kind of explain what you need to do.

ok, that's definitely what I was hoping for. so I just need to find the tutorial panels first.

I do apologise if this has already been asked but I haven't been keeping up with this thread. Have they mentioned if/when this will be getting a physical retail release?

I caved and bought on PS4. I have noticed it looks a little soft in places and Ive had 2 instances of sudden tearing frame drop. anyone else had this. Kind of jarring. Only happened twice tho.

Mi goreng

Marching through this pyramid! xxracerxx, the pannel right before the elevator with the box on top, how did you manage this one?

Edit: Nvm i'm dumb, there was a movement switch behind it lmao

Kevtones

Feel like the theme is communicated through the impossibility of accidental deaths from cliffs. We inevitably want to go down 6 feet but still can't. We need to know why.

It's not about life or death but about understanding. Both of the former will happen but we choose if the latter does.

Loving it.

JonnyKong

Some of you guys are activating these
lasers
quickly. Those of you who have activated 7, how long did it take you? I thought it was supposed to be about 40 hours long and you've got there in just a day!

Some of you guys are activating these lasers quickly. Those of you who have activated 7, how long did it take you? I thought it was supposed to be about 40 hours long and you've got there in just a day!

I got 7 in 14 hours and 11 in 21 (I only slept 4 hours heh), but I barely think I scratched the surface and there's a multitude of things I wanna do, and if the puzzle number is right, I'm still around 300 (the hardest ones now to go).

By the way I'd probably spoil the word
lasers.

12BoM

Feel like the theme is communicated through the impossibility of accidental deaths from cliffs. We inevitably want to go down 6 feet but still can't. We need to know why.

It's not about life or death but about understanding. Both of the former will happen but we choose if the latter does.

Loving it.

What in the world are you saying lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Downloaded it yesterday for PS4, hoping to start soon. So judging from posts here, people are solving 100+ puzzles in a matter of hours, so you can make progress relatively easy in the beginning? That's good to hear if true. I'd like some kind of confidence building with easier puzzles in the opening hours. So the game isn't crushing you with every puzzle right?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone playing it on PC found a working FOV setting or another fix that removes the nauseating effects? I want to go on playing dammit, but right now I just can't :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh shit - two
lasers
in 20 minutes. It helps that I was literally on the final floor of the
bunker
and then I managed to do the
temple
in one go (although that last panel had me stumped for a while - need to pay more attention to surroundings..)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Three areas cleared, 272 +6.

Oh. That's really counter intuitive, as I only have one save file, so there's never a reason I'd ever have to pause and load my game since I'm always dropped directly into it. I'll check it in the morning. Thanks.
It's strange, I don't really understand how the saves work. I somehow have four saves files (PS4) at seemingly random intervals, not sure when or why the game makes a new file.

This game is unreal. Holy shit. Somehow beat the area
under the windmill
early on but I have no idea how to beat that puzzle on the
shipping container with the teal door/tetris piece.
Moved on to the dessert puzzles.

GlamFM

Banned
I. Love. This. Game.

I'm progressing way slower than you guys.

5 hrs in and only one laser.

I spend a lot of time just walking around and marveling at the beauty of this island.

Absinthe

Has anyone playing it on PC found a working FOV setting or another fix that removes the nauseating effects? I want to go on playing dammit, but right now I just can't :(

Play in windowed mode.. That's what helped me.

Hopefully a FOV fix is in the works.

149 puzzles so far and I just took my first
boat ride
. WOW.. what a gorgeous looking game!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How on earth do I solve this? It's in the
botany room
:

http://i.imgur.com/5tVY0Ro.jpg

How many
colours of glass are there?
- hint, it isn't two ;)

Stuck in the bamboo-ish area. Looks like a tutorial series teaching me about
different size red dots. I assumed you collect them in size order starting smallest first
based on the first two panels. But the third panel can't work like that - I literally have to
pick up a medium size one first or it'll get blocked

Help?

There are a few tutorial panels like that. I think I figure out a rule, but then it doesn't work on a later panel.

Edit: oh fuck it's another
sound one

Started again, just
as I couldn't go back for the +1 at the beginning
and
secret gate
. Shouldn't take long now I know the mechanics of the puzzles etc

This game is crushing me at times, I completed 88 panels, but I'm stuck on one that's really a bitch. No matter how many times I try it I can't figure it out and I don't think it's a particularly hard one either. Decided to shut it off and play tomorrow with a fresher mind. Really like what I have played so far though.

Top Bottom