• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

So when does the game automatically save? Because I went into 'load game' right now(It creates a save when doing that) and the other saves show are from earlier today, like 7 hours earlier. I assume the 3 shown are automatic saves(Earliest being 2:54 PM, then 2:57 PM, then it jumps to 3:19 PM and that's my 'newest' old save) with the topmost one(Which I created right now) being the only 'new' one from my new session.

...Boy that would be a tragedy if the game didn't automatically save and you just turned it off without triggering the manual save.

This is probably the hardest game I have ever played. For a lot of people, it won't be, but The Witness has proven once and for all that I'm not a very smart person.

That being said, it is also one of the best games I have ever played. I honesty do not know if I will ever be able to finish it, but I'm going to really try.

This is how Dark Souls must feel for a lot of people who struggle with action games. I feel completely overwhelmed. But damn if this isn't something really, really special.

Finally got stuck. I'm in the
colored water area? Don't know exactly what it is. For some reason I can't head back and I'm stuck until I figure this puzzle out. Taking a break before I jump back into it.

Here's exactly where I am. Obvious spoilers at link. http://imgur.com/a/UYolW

Oh, look, another cave just out of my reach. That makes what, 5? Haha. Done for the day, if I don't think of the solution to the puzzle I'm stuck on while I'm trying to sleep.

G'night, good puzzles.

colored water area? Don't know exactly what it is. For some reason I can't head back and I'm stuck until I figure this puzzle out. Taking a break before I jump back into it.

By the way, you're not stuck - remember that some panels can have multiple solutions.

GavinGT

Banned

Two ways to solve the puzzle, each way moves the platform a different direction. Look at the floor tiles

Oh, look, another cave just out of my reach. That makes what, 5? Haha. Done for the day, if I don't think of the solution to the puzzle I'm stuck on while I'm trying to sleep.

G'night, good puzzles.

By the way, you're not stuck - remember that some panels can have multiple solutions.

I figured that, but since I can't figure it out i'm still a bit stuck lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Argh
sound
panels are annoying because they should be so simple. Stuck on the last one in the bamboo area. Seems like
high, low, high, low, middle for the notes but that order doesn't look doable as the middle note gets blocked

How can some people already finished 400+ puzzles in less than a day time.

It is mindblowing to say the least.

Some people are very, very intelligent.

I played a bunch of the game yesterday and have only solved a around 110. I honestly don't think I'll be able to finish the game but damnit I'm going to try.

What do you mean by that? Can you put yourself in a position where you can't 100% this game anymore?

From what I can tell, yes. Certainly when I went back to attempt something I knew was possible I couldn't do it. I'm not sure the +1's matter but it's one I couldn't have gotten in my current play state it seemed.

I got 280 +4 puzzles down and 3 areas cleared. I have two areas that are nearly complete (I'm actually at the freaking yellow box for one) but I need an unfried brain before I go back at it. The game makes me feel incredibly clever and dumb at the same time. The feeling you get when you understand a new puzzle concept is second to none.

Kensuke

Small panel spoiler (question):
What do the small panels with the red arrows in the middle do? I've found a couple, activated them correctly and nothing seems to happen.

TTG

Now there's a whole set of panels that I did that I don't know the effect of. Right in the first area(
symmetry
). There's a set of panels down below by the water that are connected by a green cable/ribbon,
you solve these by outlining the rocks in the water.
. Did completing them unlock something, or is it a sort of tutorial?

kiguel182

Seeing how fast some people are solving these makes me feel super dumb.

I've wandered the island without a clue on how to progress for a little too long yesterday but after finding my foot I can't wait to get back to this today.

Loving the game so far, only really downside I have with it is sometimes not knowing if I should know how to solve something or if I just haven't learned it yet. Apart from that I'm loving it (what I'm able to do at least).

Small panel spoiler (question):
What do the small panels with the red arrows in the middle do? I've found a couple, activated them correctly and nothing seems to happen.

No clue so far, and I think I've got around 10 of them. The rule is 'simple' (one arrow, skip the line immediately in front of the arrow and go through the next; two arrows, go through the line immediately in front) so I think there's definitely a bigger puzzle around it. Might be good to follow them.

Dinjooh

Question regarding the last panel in the red trees area:

Is it possible for someone to give me a slight hint on how it's supposed to work? I can follow the shadow from the tree on the one half, and I'm assuming you have to follow the shadow from the metal tree instead of the leaves on the other side, or something like that.

I really don't want to know the answer, but I've been stuck on it for some time, so I'd like some kind of.... vague hint.

Question regarding the last panel in the red trees area:

Is it possible for someone to give me a slight hint on how it's supposed to work? I can follow the shadow from the tree on the one half, and I'm assuming you have to follow the shadow from the metal tree instead of the leaves on the other side, or something like that.

I really don't want to know the answer, but I've been stuck on it for some time, so I'd like some kind of.... vague hint.

You've got the right idea for one half - remember that you went through two sets of puzzles, one to open each gate

GavinGT

Banned
Argh
sound
panels are annoying because they should be so simple. Stuck on the last one in the bamboo area. Seems like
high, low, high, low, middle for the notes but that order doesn't look doable as the middle note gets blocked

Did you ever figure this out? I just did.

Dinjooh

You've got the right idea for one half - remember that you went through two sets of puzzles, one to open each gate

Oh.... OOooooh.. So I'm not supposed to be able to solve it by now? I only completed one half of those because I got stuck on the later part of the second of them.

Did you ever figure this out? I just did.

That whole area just felt fantastic, and was so happy when we finally *got* it.

And then miserable when he changed what it was. And then happy and then...

Dinjooh

Please no spoilers, quick question!

Are there times where I will not have enough information to solve a puzzle? Not knowledge, but I mean are there times where a puzzle/the environment may change so I need to come back later?

I'm sat in front of a puzzle right now that I can't work out and I'm not sure if it's me or the game. I assume it's me but wanted to check.

Also, I fucking love this.

Good question, and I've been pondering the same thing.

Very much agreed.

Please no spoilers, quick question!

Are there times where I will not have enough information to solve a puzzle? Not knowledge, but I mean are there times where a puzzle/the environment may change so I need to come back later?

I'm sat in front of a puzzle right now that I can't work out and I'm not sure if it's me or the game. I assume it's me but wanted to check.

Wozzer

3Pi8bLf.jpg

My brain is refusing to work this early as I'm unable to see the solution in the puzzle, even after a bought of MS Paint to find possible permutations.

(considering this a non-spoiler, since no solution is presented)

So i'm about 6 hours in now, 179 puzzles solved with 4 lasers activated. Thing is, I keep getting distracted by all those hidden collectables. I've found 41 so far, with some really cleverly hidden stuff scattered throughout the environment. I'm almost having more fun hunting those than solving the panels. I want to keep progressing through the "main" puzzles, but those collectables.....they call to me.

Oh.... OOooooh.. So I'm not supposed to be able to solve it by now? I only completed one half of those because I got stuck on the later part of the second of them.

That whole area just felt fantastic, and was so happy when we finally *got* it.

And then miserable when he changed what it was. And then happy and then...

I'm not sure if you can because
I don't know if the gate interferes, so I'd suggest finishing the second route first, yeah.

Top Bottom