• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Birathen

But what do they look like? I have played for hours and not found a single one

There is one
on top of the gate you leave through in the very first area, where you wake up.
if I remember correctly. My brain went kinda trippy after playing last night.

Auctopus

Sitting at work, can´t stop thinking about this game.

THIS GAME!

Same. Played a few hours last night and I can't really stop thinking about it. I'm going to head in to another room and get some graph paper to try and figure out a puzzle that had me last night.

You're in for some shit :)

My head literally hurts and I'm giving up for the night, but can you or anyone else who's gone down the mountain answer if you can still go back to do puzzles you missed/passed up once you've gotten the ending and all? I figure you can as it'd be kinda weird not to, just want to make sure before I press on any farther.

Even if I'm on the path to the ending, I still feel like there's so much to do. The four other areas I passed in my excitement to see what the ending has in store, plus so many secrets...

Shahadan

I've played until 5 in the morning and my dreams about shapes, lines and puzzles were fucking amazing. I think I've even had an epiphany in a dream as well, need to test that shit now. Buying a new pillow yesterday was the best coincidence ever.

roytheone

You want a clear path to the exit. Is there anything in the maze that might be "blocking" you along certain paths?

Yeah, I got that from hedge maze 1. No idea how 2 works though. For now I just decided to run to another part of the island. I love how you are never truly stuck in this game and you allways can do something else.

GlamFM

Banned
Listening to the Bombcast right now. Rarely do you hear Jeff loving a game so much.

This is an early (the earliest) GOTY contender for sure.

Dinjooh

Listening to the Bombcast right now. Rarely do you hear Jeff loving a game so much.

The quick look was great in that regard.

'Yea.. I'm gonna have to go play this game. No I don't wanna know any more'

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Bam, went back and finished two more areas after gaining insight elsewhere. 286 +8. Gotta call it a night.

Grandi

Six hours played and I just had my second save-file destroyed by a another crash. Fuck this. Tempted to request a refund because I don't dare to start from square one again because there's a risk that my progress will be destroyed for a third time. The game should always autosave to a new file and keep the latest three files or so, so a crash during an autosave wouldn't wipe your progress.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In town, am I suppose to solve the panel on the door to lower the ramp/stairs? In the building with the blue columns and moss. I've tried
mapping the area to avoid the wooden debris, and to avoid the moss one floor. But I hink there isn't a way through without crossing some moss

It's going to be a tough game to top. I can't think of many potential games that could even get close to topping it.

GlamFM

Banned
Six hours played and I just had my second save-file destroyed by a another crash. Fuck this. Tempted to request a refund because I don't dare to start from square one again because there's a risk that my progress will be destroyed for a third time. The game should always autosave to a new file and keep the latest three files or so, so a crash during an autosave wouldn't wipe your progress.

PC I assume?

Is this a problem on PS4 also?

goonergaz

I like the idea of this game but...well, Braid was fun to a point and then my head started hurting so I feel the same will happen here :(

Grandi

PC I assume?

Is this a problem on PS4 also?
Yeah, PC. I posted on the Steam Discussions-page about it too. Seems like quite a few people on PC are having problems with their display drivers crashing and/or hard crashes to a black screen. Haven't read about anyone else losing their save though.

d00d3n

I just love how the game refuses to confirm your theories about how the general puzzle mechanics work, other than approving/rejecting your solutions. Assumptions that are wrong, or only partially true, can seem correct after having a couple of puzzles approved, but a couple of minutes/hours later you will hit a brick wall when the game uses your false assumptions against you.

I am sure this will be topped, but my biggest "aha moment" this far was discovering the true properties of black/white/colored blocks:
I initially assumed that the point was to close vertical and horizontal "line of sight" between differently colored blocks with my lines, which solved a couple of puzzles, but then inexplicably stopped working. After failing to apply my theory to more and more puzzles, I started to doubt my assumptions, and understood that the point was to border off differently colored blocks in separate spaces. This was not enough, though, because I later learned (after banging my head against the wall for almost one hour) that the same color could be bordered off in multiple spaces.

A corollary to this great feature is that cheating on even a single puzzle should be a surefire way of sucking the fun out of the game. Just don't do it people!

mike4001_

A question for you guys who are already playing.

Do you always know what to do next or where to go next?

I basically hate games where can go into every direction, have no sense of where the right way might be and then are wondering around for 30+ minutes until I (maybe) find something where I can progress in the game.

A question for you guys who are already playing.

Do you always know what to do next or where to go next?

I basically hate games where can go into every direction, have no sense of where the right way might be and then are wondering around for 30+ minutes until I (maybe) find something where I can progress in the game.

You don't know and you wander around, but there are tons of places where you can progress

I lied, I went back and figured out how to do what I was stuck on. The endgame is hard. Very, very hard. I want to say more about it but I won't. Just... Yeah. Hard.

338+33, 7 beacons lit (
Symmetry, Desert, Shadow Forest, Castle, Tree Temple, Swamp, and Treetops
), 14 hours played according to Steam. That's it for this first marathon day @_@

I just realized, the game's only been out on Steam about 17 hours... Ah, hah... Hah...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What is this +6 or any number people add next to their puzzle completion? Lasers?
No. If you really want to know:
Solving lines outside of the panels, just out in the environment. Lots of crazy perspective stuff.

Are people manually keeping count of the puzzles they've solved or is there a counter?
Pause and go to load game. It'll show your count.

Top Bottom